2 teams have Evans as top WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can I just ask, what those things are that he does better? And if this report is true and not just smoke, that will be confirmed on draft day. Most likely when Sammy goes top 5 and Evans slips just a bit.

Not that I don't think Evans won't be good, just that Watkins is the sure thing, which is why he has the hype, and why he will undoubtedly be the first WR taken in May.

Bigger, stronger, better hands, better strength at the catch point, better at high-pointing the ball, better at coming down with contested catches, more physical, and was a better deep threat in college.

jjab360

Legend
By thinking two teams that should and would need to evaluate the top talent of the draft to consider Mr. Watkins a 4th round talent would be the same teams that havn't sent any top brass to take a look at some of the top QB"S and need a QB which by chance happens to be The RAAAAAAAiders and the Brownskies. two front offices that couldn't get a order at McDonalds right..
I have no idea what you're talking about...

jjab360

Legend
Bigger, stronger, better hands, better strength at the catch point, better at high-pointing the ball, better at coming down with contested catches, more physical, and was a better deep threat in college.
Yup, I don't really get the people that act like Watkins is better at every single thing than any other WR in this draft.

I'd go so far as to say there really isn't any part of his game that I can say he is the best in this draft at.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't know about all of that at all. Especially the getting open deep. Watkins has the world class speed to run the top of defenses.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

Mike Evans

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Outstanding size and length. Functionally strong to power through the jam. Boxes out defenders and is a big red-zone target. Hardwood background is evident -- outstanding leaper with "above-the-rim" skills to go over top of smaller DBs and highpoint throws. Creates late, subtle separation. Tracks and adjusts. Makes contested grabs -- attacks throws and outmuscles defenders in a crowd. Nearly unstoppable executing back-shoulder catches. Strong, reliable hands. Very strong after the catch -- slams into tacklers, is a load to bring down and leans for extra yardage. Productive playmaker -- averaged 20 yards per catch in 2013 and showed up in big games (18-566-5 vs. Alabama and Auburn). Good blocker. Physically dominant and tough. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
WEAKNESSES
Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love.
BOTTOM LINE
A prep hoopster with shooting-guard size, Evans combined with Johnny Manziel to form one of the most dominant quarterback-receiver connections in the nation the last two seasons. He’s a big, physical, strong-handed, West Coast possession receiver with playmaking ability who projects as a No. 2 in the pros where he will make his money as a chain mover and red-zone target.

Not a deep ball guy at all.

Sammy Watkins

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Exceptional football playing speed -- can flat out fly and take the top off a defense. Has world-class track speed. Extends outside his frame and plucks the ball. Outstanding body control and agility. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and is a natural hands-catcher who can make an average quarterback look good. Consistently turns 2-yard gains into 15-yard chunks -- possesses big-time playmaking ability and is very effective creating in the open field on bubble screens and quick-hitting short/lateral tosses. Superb run-after-the-catch ability. Good burst out of his cuts to separate. Has game-breaking return ability and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Has a strong support structure (mother moved to Clemson following Wakins' 2012 drug arrest and he has steered clear of any trouble).
WEAKNESSES
Production results heavily from a gimmicky offense. Routes could use some more polish. Does not consistently work the middle of the field. Could improve field awareness. Is still immature and could require some time to acclimate to an NFL playbook. Could stand to improve ball security and do a better job fielding punts.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1 (top 10)
BOTTOM LINE
A legitimate No. 1-caliber receiver who stepped onto the field as a true freshman and made an immediate, game-changing impact. Was slowed by injuries as a sophomore, but responded with a strong junior season and capped his career as one of the most impactful receivers in school history. Has rare speed, soft hands and the big-play ability to challenge NFL defensive backs as a rookie. A top-10 cinch.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Can I just ask, what those things are that he does better? And if this report is true and not just smoke, that will be confirmed on draft day. Most likely when Sammy goes top 5 and Evans slips just a bit.

Not that I don't think Evans won't be good, just that Watkins is the sure thing, which is why he has the hype, and why he will undoubtedly be the first WR taken in May.

Ugh. This is the problem with "hype". It gets fans to say silly things like the underlined portion above. If there is one sure thing in the NFL, it's that there are NO "sure things" coming out of college. Watkins is no exception.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about all of that at all. Especially the getting open deep. Watkins has the world class speed to run the top of defenses.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

Mike Evans

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Outstanding size and length. Functionally strong to power through the jam. Boxes out defenders and is a big red-zone target. Hardwood background is evident -- outstanding leaper with "above-the-rim" skills to go over top of smaller DBs and highpoint throws. Creates late, subtle separation. Tracks and adjusts. Makes contested grabs -- attacks throws and outmuscles defenders in a crowd. Nearly unstoppable executing back-shoulder catches. Strong, reliable hands. Very strong after the catch -- slams into tacklers, is a load to bring down and leans for extra yardage. Productive playmaker -- averaged 20 yards per catch in 2013 and showed up in big games (18-566-5 vs. Alabama and Auburn). Good blocker. Physically dominant and tough. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
WEAKNESSES
Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love.
BOTTOM LINE
A prep hoopster with shooting-guard size, Evans combined with Johnny Manziel to form one of the most dominant quarterback-receiver connections in the nation the last two seasons. He’s a big, physical, strong-handed, West Coast possession receiver with playmaking ability who projects as a No. 2 in the pros where he will make his money as a chain mover and red-zone target.
Not a deep ball guy at all.

Sammy Watkins

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Exceptional football playing speed -- can flat out fly and take the top off a defense. Has world-class track speed. Extends outside his frame and plucks the ball. Outstanding body control and agility. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and is a natural hands-catcher who can make an average quarterback look good. Consistently turns 2-yard gains into 15-yard chunks -- possesses big-time playmaking ability and is very effective creating in the open field on bubble screens and quick-hitting short/lateral tosses. Superb run-after-the-catch ability. Good burst out of his cuts to separate. Has game-breaking return ability and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Has a strong support structure (mother moved to Clemson following Wakins' 2012 drug arrest and he has steered clear of any trouble).
WEAKNESSES
Production results heavily from a gimmicky offense. Routes could use some more polish. Does not consistently work the middle of the field. Could improve field awareness. Is still immature and could require some time to acclimate to an NFL playbook. Could stand to improve ball security and do a better job fielding punts.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1 (top 10)
BOTTOM LINE
A legitimate No. 1-caliber receiver who stepped onto the field as a true freshman and made an immediate, game-changing impact. Was slowed by injuries as a sophomore, but responded with a strong junior season and capped his career as one of the most impactful receivers in school history. Has rare speed, soft hands and the big-play ability to challenge NFL defensive backs as a rookie. A top-10 cinch.

Yea, for better or worse, I base my evaluations on my own observations, not on the scouting reports of others. As I said in my post, Mike Evans was the better college deep threat.

To illustrate that with stats:
yuHvdoh.jpg

mWZAiha.jpg

Anyone who says Evans is not a deep ball guy at all didn't watch enough film on him, imo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yup, I don't really get the people that act like Watkins is better at every single thing than any other WR in this draft.

I'd go so far as to say there really isn't any part of his game that I can say he is the best in this draft at.

Me either. Watkins looks *to me* to be a very good college WR. Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin have better college tape IMO, and we have really just scratched the surface of what they can do. Watkins is this years sexy pick for those who think that a rookie WR can single handedly turn a pedestrian offense into a Juggernaut. Watkins is not that guy. Jerry Rice wasn't that guy. Nor was Randy Moss. Not sure "that guy" exists.

Name
JP
Yea, for better or worse, I base my evaluations on my own observations, not on the scouting reports of others. As I said in my post, Mike Evans was the better college deep threat.

To illustrate that with stats:
yuHvdoh.jpg

mWZAiha.jpg

Anyone who says Evans is not a deep ball guy at all didn't watch enough film on him, imo.

Isn't more about the offense then the guys ability? Clemson's offense is more of a screen offense. Mike Evans isn't running the top off any defense in the NFL.

Name
JP
Isn't more about the offense then the guys ability? Clemson's offense is more of a screen offense. Mike Evans isn't running the top off any defense in the NFL.

Also add in, how many of those plays are when Johnny is just running around for 10 seconds and he gets open late in the backyard football play?

Another reason you can't just base things off of stats like these.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
6'5" 230 and ran a 4.53 at the combine, plenty fast enough to take the top off

Alan

Legend
LesBaker bargain hunting:
I might be, how much and do you have some pictures of it? I've always wanted my own bridge!
For you buddy, whatever you have in your wallet right now. :love:

It's located in a real nice area too.

upload_2014-3-24_16-56-35.jpeg

Brooklyn Bridge

Name
JP
6'5" 230 and ran a 4.53 at the combine, plenty fast enough to take the top off

Im not arguing a case that Evans is going to be the next Charles Roger. I'm just saying that IMO their is a clear gap between Watkins and Evans. Nothing wrong, with being the second best WR in a class, and not saying he won't do well in the NFL. Just think there is a better chance of Watkins doing well.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Im not arguing a case that Evans is going to be the next Charles Roger. I'm just saying that IMO their is a clear gap between Watkins and Evans. Nothing wrong, with being the second best WR in a class, and not saying he won't do well in the NFL. Just think there is a better chance of Watkins doing well.
My response was to you're contention that he could not take the top off defenses.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I've seen all of Mike Evans tape. I'm very impressed with Evans. I will bring up something stuff no one has about Mike Evans. I never ever saw the man miss a block. Evans screens out defenders with his body when blocking and catching.

Some scouts have said Evans didn't go all out every play. And that's true, but remember Evans never came off the field. Evans was used exclusively on the right side of the field. If the Aggies ran off the left tackle, Evans would trot down the field. If that's taking off a play, then yeah Evans takes some plays off. Other times Evans would lull the defender asleep, and suddenly Evans is wide open down field.

I don't know if Evans is better than Watkins. What can Evans do better than Watkins?

Out jump defenders for balls.
Uses his body better than Watkins, to force defenders over Evans back if they want to defend pass.
Blocks better than Watkins.
Comes back toward the QB better than Watkins
Adjusts quicker than Watkins on broken and extended plays ( a plus with a QB whom can extend plays)
Evans has a better instinctual sense of finding open spots than Watkins. ( freelancing)
Slightly better hands then Watkins.
See's the entire field like a QB. Evans is smart.
Evans is Harder to bring down after contact.

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Yea, yea, we know Evans was a deep threat in college. The thing is, you can't run a 9 every single play. He has solid top-end speed, but he's a little slow getting out of his breaks and he messed up that post corner route at the combine.

2/32 teams have him as top WR? The other 30 have Watkins, so it's not an accolade.

Evans is a physical beast-- I'm just concerned about his route-running.

Name
JP
Ugh. This is the problem with "hype". It gets fans to say silly things like the underlined portion above. If there is one sure thing in the NFL, it's that there are NO "sure things" coming out of college. Watkins is no exception.

That's a draft profile from NFL.com