You Gave Up What ???, For Jalen Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams new DC placed Ramsey in his new defense in a position of accountability. Every game Ramsey is challenged by one great receiver (SL/TE/WR) & he wins most of the time. This pressure is what Ramsey was pleading for from the Jags. It's just in his nature. Staley knows it & his defense is the absolute best fit for a Ramsey.

Staley got real lucky with Darious Williams matching up with Troy Hill as our 3 corners. Staley's other corner 2nd yr CB David Long has been slow to catch fire & when Long is in on defensive snaps you will find that our opponent's QB normally attacks Long. Long gets beat often on very few snaps with the defense. Long must be a marked & targeted Corner. Staley will have two of his starting corners in FA'cy in 3 months.

FA Darious Williams demands to be tendered very high in order to keep this defense running smoothly. The Loss of Hill is going to cause problems but David Long or possibly dinky Donte Deayon can fill the void enough until our newly draft corner gets up to speed in 2021. I have been disappointed in CB David Long's retarded progress.

Last edited:

HellRam

Starter
I admit I never loved the Ramsey trade but the addition of Staley is what really made that move workout so well. Ramsey would be good in any system. However, adding Staley has made Snead look brilliant in regards to giving up 2 one's for Jalen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm sure this is true, but I wonder how many fans felt otherwise and will own up to it.

Here is how I felt:

ME: https://www.ramsondemand.com/thread...ates-in-thursdays-practice.59429/post-1249050

One thing that is overlooked by the talking heads is, counterintuitive as it sounds, this defensive move DOES IN FACT HELP THE OFFENSE TOO!

The Rams are getting nickeled and dimed to death on D and this bend don’t break approach that sometimes gives 3s vs 7s also eats up TONS OF TIME....

I’m pumped by this move.

ME: https://www.ramsondemand.com/thread...ates-in-thursdays-practice.59429/post-1248760
This was still steep, but bold and absolutely the right move.

There were quite a few that didn't like the cost and a few others that were certain he'd be a bad egg like he was in Jacksonville. I figured Less and McVay likely wouldn't make the more be unless they has some kind of assurances that Makes would not be a detractor in the clubhouse. Some felt the team chemistry would be strong enough to counter any negative impact. Getting Ramsey was like getting another AD imo. How many first round picks would a team be willing to give to get AD?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams new DC placed Ramsey in his new defense in a position of accountability. Every game Ramsey is challenged by one great receiver (SL/TE/WR) & he wins most of the time. This pressure is what Ramsey was pleading for from the Jags. It's just in his nature. Staley knows it & his defense is the absolute best fit for a Ramsey.

Staley got real lucky with Darious Williams matching up with Troy Hill as our 3 corners. Staley's other corner 2nd yr CB David Long has been slow to catch fire & when Long is in on defensive snaps you will find that our opponent's QB normally attacks Long. Long gets beat often. Staley will have two of his starting corners in FA'cy in 3 months.

FA Darious Williams demands to be tendered very high in order to keep this defense running smoothly. The Loss of Hill is going to cause problems but David Long or possibly dinky Donte Deayon can fill the void enough until our newly draft corner gets up to speed in 2021. I have been disappointed in CB David Long's retarded progress.

Yeah Long is definitely a weak link. If Hill or Williams move on then corner looks like a huge need.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I loved the trade at the time, mainly because I trust in McSnead. Only concern I had was how Ramsey would deal with it after he got paid.

All that talk about “backing up the Brinks truck”, and how on “Hard Knocks” he was looking for his next mansion, etc.

Well, Ramsey has blown that concern out of the water, so far. If anything, he’s stepped up his game significantly compared to last year.

Hope he keeps it up in future years. But so far, he sure as hell seems passionate about the game... he’s not just about the $.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Does anyone wonder if Jalen is at all bothered about not being the best player on the Defense, let alone the team?
I know he has been vocal about Donald being the Def MVP and hasn't shown any hint of being unhappy. He seems to love it here.

I guess what I am wondering is if sooner or later Ramsey will want to be the man again?

Maybe I am just a homer but not only do I think Ramsey is the second best player on our team, I genuinely think he is the second best defensive player in the league.

My hope is that the success Donald and Ramsey have playing together combined with the culture and camaraderie on this team will motivate both to stay here and play together until father time closes their window. I don't know how possible it would be but the Rams org should do whatever they have to in order to keep both AD and Ramsey in horns for another 5 years.

I've been listening for this as well but I think there's too much mutual respect between the two. Also, when AD is interviewed he always talks about "it's not about having the one or two best defensive players in the league... any of these guys can make a play." I'm paraphrasing but the point is that they all know that they have something special going on. And, I believe, they're smart enough not to take it for granted.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Good stuff like always, Bonifay.
I think you nailed it here. Ramsey needs to be challenged and when he is it brings out his best... and his best is phenomenal.

Staley's defense is the best the Rams have had that I can remember watching. The 99 defense was really good too but nothing like this group.
Wade Phillips SB defense was as good as fans could hope for but his teams never played with this kind of consistent discipline and energy.

As good as Staley has been, he has the best pass rusher and the best defensive back in the league. I hope we get to keep him for a few years but if he is a one year rental, I bet McVay will find the right guy to plug in and run this defense. With 99 and 20 on the field and Les Snead plugging holes either with late round draft steals or by raiding the Ravens waiver wire, the D should remain in pretty good shape even if we lose him, imo.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I liked the trade at the time but I did worry a little bit about Ramsey’s maturity.

But to my surprise, his maturity has been top drawer from contract negotiations through today. Rams clearly did an excellent background check on him. Staley and Ramsey are perfect for each other and Ram fans are gonna enjoy this duo immensely.

As an aside, being a player on those Jags teams must have been like swimming in a cesspool. So many quality players have bailed and others still want to. So sad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good stuff like always, Bonifay.
I think you nailed it here. Ramsey needs to be challenged and when he is it brings out his best... and his best is phenomenal.

Staley's defense is the best the Rams have had that I can remember watching. The 99 defense was really good too but nothing like this group.
Wade Phillips SB defense was as good as fans could hope for but his teams never played with this kind of consistent discipline and energy.

As good as Staley has been, he has the best pass rusher and the best defensive back in the league. I hope we get to keep him for a few years but if he is a one year rental, I bet McVay will find the right guy to plug in and run this defense. With 99 and 20 on the field and Les Snead plugging holes either with late round draft steals or by raiding the Ravens waiver wire, the D should remain in pretty good shape even if we lose him, imo.
Some sidebar question that came to me while reading your post.

I wonder how much DC Staley will have on OLB/Edge Rusher's coach Chris Shula? Shula has been here now since 2017 as our LB'ing coach but most of his time with the OLB'ers. Was this not the post that DC Staley held for the Broncos & Bears? I certainly do not want veteran LB'ing & assistant HC coach Barry end up being our DC.

In order to keep Ramsey in the all-important DC Staley "STAR DB position" that triggers this defense.....Snead & McVay has to realize that Staley will need a very talented cornerback unit to make this defense fire on all cylinders. Rams have two starting CB entering FA'cy in 3 months!

With the Rams salary cap in 2021 is sitting @ Minus -$18 million & continuing to think that Snead will be busy signing talented players to this Ram team next season is just wasted clicks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I loved the trade at the time, mainly because I trust in McSnead. Only concern I had was how Ramsey would deal with it after he got paid.

All that talk about “backing up the Brinks truck”, and how on “Hard Knocks” he was looking for his next mansion, etc.

Well, Ramsey has blown that concern out of the water, so far. If anything, he’s stepped up his game significantly compared to last year.

Hope he keeps it up in future years. But so far, he sure as hell seems passionate about the game... he’s not just about the $.

Being on a competitive and well run team can make it easy to focus on being the best a guy can be. Very often great communicators are also great motivators.

Ellard80

Legend
Well I think you can. I think these things are so dynamic and this sport is so what have you done for me lately, that judgement comes in the moment. A trade can be good and bad. Cooks was very good the first year but now not so much. Although without his contributions Rams would not have made the SB. The next year three concusions and not so good. And because the FO deals with whats in front of them and doesn't worry how it looks to anybody else, we enjoyed the good and didn't have to deal long with the bad. Were over it.

Not sure this proves your point much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if there's anybody who isn't sure about the trade still but I think the debate on whether it's been worth it or not is over.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The trade looks like a great deal in hindsight, and Ramsey has been a consummate professional since we paid him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I still can't believe how many times he gets flagged when the wr pushed him off. It's insane, like the call against gallop in the first game of the season has made the refs anti Ramsey.

TexasRam

Legend
It really is phenomenal to think of how many top WR's Ramsey has shut down this year.

Especially when you consider the BS calls he got this year. And the no calls, like when Evans kept clearly pushing off on him.

Ramsey and Donald should literally get game balls every game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramsey is as good as advertised.

Coaches decide “which opposing player to take out of the game”... then, Ramsey does his part. (y)

The Ramowl

Starter
It's not every year that you get a defense that is first in points and yards allowed, this is truly exceptional, and he most certainly has a big say in this.

What has impressed me more is that he seems to be a really good teammate. In Jax he gave me the feeling he was an arrogant asshole, looking for fights to pick, probably due to his very aggressive behavior on the field. But he has shown to be a very positive presence off the field. I think playing along with AD is the best thing that could happen to him, he's playing with the best defensive player in the game and future HOFer, that only pushes him to be better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which draft pick helped their team more, the first rounder the Rams gave up, or the first round pick the Packers spent on Jordan Love?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ehh, dude had productive years for the Rams. He didn't live up to his college highlight reels, which everyone assumed will be CTRL + C, CTRL + V into the NFL and it just doesn't happen that way.
And imagine what he could have (would have) been had he spent the formative years of his pro career in this offense??

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Every single game he plays CB better than anyone else plays WR. He is a fucking beast and I am thrilled that he is our guy. Another future HOFer