Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I’d 100% on board with drafting a LT and then trading back into the late first for a QB that can sit behind Stafford.

Fixes the biggest Oline issue and sets up the future. While I’ve been very critical of Stafford, if the Rams give him a top 5 line, he will keep us out of contention of a top 5 pick until he retires. That’s perfect for grooming someone for a year or two like the Packers did Rogers or KC did with Mahomes.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah that has been my biggest gripe on Caleb

He takes forever to find an open receiver. However, once he does find an open receiver, he is extremely accurate at getting the pass to the receiver.
I think he's def still top 2 but Mayes may be the better at reading defenses/pure passer right now.

My guess is if Caleb goes to a good offensive coach some if not all of this stuff will get cleaned up. Also, there's probably a lot of pressure to play superman when your defense couldn't even stop 11 people from this board.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If an elite Quarterback (in Management's evaluation opinion) is there, then ... Of Course ... the Rams have to draft him. Pretty much any team has to do so. However, other than that, I think the Rams simply have to go with the best available at a position of need.

Fortunately ... and Unfortunately ... the Rams positions of need include the impact positions of Left Tackle, Cornerback and Edge. For the moment, I will assume Marvin Harrison Jr. will not be available.

Let's just say Left Tackle is the Rams' greatest need.
If the Rams have Olu Fashanu and Joe Alt rated as the top LTs and elite but they are off-the-board, I don't want them to automatically select the 3rd best tackle on their draft board, and pass on perhaps the #1 CB or #1 Edge provided those players have a higher grade.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guarantee our top two picks are T and QB or QB and T, and IMO we will trade to make that happen if need be.

We don't need rookies anywhere else. We need a vet CB and EDGE on defense to complete that side of the ball. We need a vet G (or re-sign Dotson).

We will need a RB and WR to supplement the roster, but those will be later picks.

T and QB are the two biggest needs on this team after this season. If we solidify the OL and guarantee we have at least a game manager at QB (assuming the highly drafted rookie won't start until Stafford gets hurt), we will win games next year.

It does not matter where the QB is drafted. Nobody believed in Purdy, and he's not elite, but he will be the starter their for years and will win games.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I guarantee our top two picks are T and QB or QB and T, and IMO we will trade to make that happen if need be.

We don't need rookies anywhere else. We need a vet CB and EDGE on defense to complete that side of the ball. We need a vet G (or re-sign Dotson).

We will need a RB and WR to supplement the roster, but those will be later picks.

T and QB are the two biggest needs on this team after this season. If we solidify the OL and guarantee we have at least a game manager at QB (assuming the highly drafted rookie won't start until Stafford gets hurt), we will win games next year.

It does not matter where the QB is drafted. Nobody believed in Purdy, and he's not elite, but he will be the starter their for years and will win games.
Errrr.... what kind of guarantee you giving out?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

We don't need rookies anywhere else. We need a vet CB and EDGE on defense to complete that side of the ball.

There may be some quality Edge players available but the Cornerback list is currently kind of limited.

Took a look the other day, and the best I saw were the following:
Jaylon Johnson (Chicago), Jeff Okudah (Atlanta), C.J. Henderson (Carolina), Kristian Fulton (TN), Amik Robertson (LV) and L’Jarius Sneed (K.C.)

WestCoastRam

Legend
There may be some quality Edge players available but the Cornerback list is currently kind of limited.

Took a look the other day, and the best I saw were the following:
Jaylon Johnson (Chicago), Jeff Okudah (Atlanta), C.J. Henderson (Carolina), Kristian Fulton (TN), Amik Robertson (LV) and L’Jarius Sneed (K.C.)
If we can agree on a fair contract with Witherspoon, I think we can go with him and a kid with length in the draft. Cornerback is one of those spots where a rookie can shine vs some others that take a lot more seasoning (like TE).

That being said, Johnson in Chicago is supposed to be very good on a bad team. If you can get him, great.

I'd be curious what nickelbacks would be available in FA. Durant and Lake could make things interesting. Lake may not be an every down STAR but he's doing well with additional snaps there. Durant will have a chance to show us if he can man an outside spot. Kendrick's ship has most likely sailed. Tomlinson is a wild card but it sure looks like they're protecting him from bad habits developed on the field early and want to season him for a year.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
We DO need a Franchise Left Tackle, but I'm figuring when you're up this high better grab your Quarterback of the future. I LOVE Stafford and he's a Ram legend forever, but let's face facts, at this point he's a banged-up injury case. That pick-6 in Dallas told me it's more or less over for Staff.
Show me a QB without some bad picks and I will show you a QB with good protection, a reliable running game, and great risk averse plays. What happened to Purdy? Have you seen some of the bad Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert picks? You know Stafford is done because of that one pick?

Have you ANY idea how unlikely it is for even these top guys to have a career like Stafford's? For every CJ Stroud, there are a handful of Anthony Richardsons.

There is something off with Stafford but whatever it is, it's just as bad w Kupp. Puka is incredible...with 6 drops though. Atwell looks open but I think he's missing his landmarks. Williams has receiving abilities but several of his targets have been disastrous.

I guess I'm not like you because I don't know Stafford is done because he threw a head scratcher like he has a dozen times every season. They are the price to pay for aggression that carries risk. I will take the gunslinger over the checkdown Charlie every time and I don't believe running QB's have long careers very often and sport very few SB Rings.

Tano

Legend
I think he's def still top 2 but Mayes may be the better at reading defenses/pure passer right now.

My guess is if Caleb goes to a good offensive coach some if not all of this stuff will get cleaned up. Also, there's probably a lot of pressure to play superman when your defense couldn't even stop 11 people from this board.
That deserves both a Like and a Ha Ha

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Show me a QB without some bad picks and I will show you a QB with good protection, a reliable running game, and great risk averse plays. What happened to Purdy? Have you seen some of the bad Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert picks? You know Stafford is done because of that one pick?

Have you ANY idea how unlikely it is for even these top guys to have a career like Stafford's? For every CJ Stroud, there are a handful of Anthony Richardsons.

There is something off with Stafford but whatever it is, it's just as bad w Kupp. Puka is incredible...with 6 drops though. Atwell looks open but I think he's missing his landmarks. Williams has receiving abilities but several of his targets have been disastrous.

I guess I'm not like you because I don't know Stafford is done because he threw a head scratcher like he has a dozen times every season. They are the price to pay for aggression that carries risk. I will take the gunslinger over the checkdown Charlie every time and I don't believe running QB's have long careers very often and sport very few SB Rings.
Did I miss something? Is Richardson determined to be a bust because of an injury? He was looking pretty dang electric prior to the injury IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I like what the Rams have done with the youth on defense and wouldn't mind another young stud Edge Rusher in the 1st round.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
This.

Frankly I don't quite understand why so many are eager to rush out and find a replacement for Stafford.

Anybody notice a slight drop-off in talent from Stafford to Rypien?

Stafford's a franchise QB with elite skills. He's only 35, which isn't that old for QB's these days. Yeah he's a beat-up 35, but he's a tough bastard. And as far as we know, he doesn't have any injuries that are career- threatening.

Stafford has won a SB and is fully capable of winning another one-- given health and a strong supporting cast, both of which are fully possible in 2024 and 2025. And his 40M annual salary isn't high enough to cripple the cap.

I'm so thankful we have a proven franchise QB with a few good years left... many of us remember what it was like wandering for years and years without a good QB. I'm not so eager to roll the dice on another young unproven QB.... have y'all forgotten about Sam Bradford?

The glass is half-full at QB and many here don't seem to realize how lucky we are to have MS for another couple years.
It's not eagerness to push him out but if the opportunity is there to have a young QB waiting in the wings when Stafford eventually gets hurt or retires, it sets us up to continue to compete. Relying on Stafford to never be injured isn't a smart plan if an elite QB is available. A lot depends on where we end up drafting though.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Where the Ram's finish this season will only affect how many 1's Snead will need to move up to get the guy they are targeting. Penix is more polished as a pocket passer. Nix is a good pocket passer but willing to run. Both have excellent arms with good accuracy. Penix has deceptive speed and quickness that he uses to extend plays hoping to pass. If nothing is open he will throw it away. That is exactly the kind of QB McVay likes. Both Penix and Nix are full field readers. Caleb isn't. IMO Maye is better than Williams. I think Caleb will drop, how far depends upon the desperation of teams. But I see Maye, Penix and Nix going before him. Williams is a product of the media hype. He's got talent but not any better than the other three. They have skill sets he lacks.

Williams needs a zone read/ RPO offense. He's not a pocket passer like Stafford. Both Penix and Nix can play in a McVay style offense with multiple options ergo multiple reads. Penix is ahead of Nix in that regard. But give Nix a red shirt year and he will be able to play well in that style. Regardless Snead will move up to get whoever they are targeting. There is no question that they have a targeted QB or QBs.

The reason I say they are probably looking at Nix or Penix is because they are the top rated pure pocket passers in the draft. If they stay with McVay or move on to someone like DeBoer either of these guys are a fit for the Ram's WRs. DeBoer runs an offense very much like the Rams. Strong running game, short to medium passes all to set up the deep strike. Washington has 3 outstanding WRs and a good run game. Anyone watching the Huskies would see the eerie similarities in their offense compared to the Rams under McVay. Oregon runs a similar style offense with a better run game but not the level of WR threats as the Huskies. Both QBs could be first year starters if required. Both would really benefit from a red shirt year while providing a very good backup.

The only thing that will drop Penix are concerns about his durability. Teams that want a dual threat QB will look at Maye and Nix first. It's why I think the Rams have a shot at Penix though Seattle has expressed a lot of interest in him. Penix's arm talent is every bit as good as Stafford's and IMO that's what will intrigue McVay. He could see a young Stafford in Penix. Another thing Penix has in common with Stafford is outstanding field vision to allow them to exploit their arm talent. This is why I've been saying since last year that Penix is a McVay kind of QB.
Williams by far the best of the bunch. His defense at USC is hot garbage.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I want to say ... "I'm a Penix man" ... but that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I could go with ... "I like Penix" ... but that's not any better.

Damn! ... "This is Hard" ... UGH!!! ... Let's just talk Offensive Tackles.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like what the Rams have done with the youth on defense and wouldn't mind another young stud Edge Rusher in the 1st round.

if it worked out that the best player on the board was an EDGE, I wouldn't cry.

But we have youth on defense and vets on offense, so I'd like to infuse with the opposite to build the best team possible for next season and beyond.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I want to say ... "I'm a Penix man" ... but that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I could go with ... "I like Penix" ... but that's not any better.

Damn! ... "This is Hard" ... UGH!!! ... Let's just talk Offensive Tackles.
Beavis And Butthead Lol GIF by Paramount+

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else here interested in Primetimes Kid at Colorado? The QB. If he comes out. He got skills.