Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else here interested in Primetimes Kid at Colorado? The QB. If he comes out. He got skills.
I have some concerns there. He takes a ton of sacks. I'll have to look deeper to determine the extent to which that is a function of his OL vs. him holding the ball too long.

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have some concerns there. He takes a ton of sacks. I'll have to look deeper to determine the extent to which that is a function of his OL vs. him holding the ball too long.
Kids fast, Good size, Rocket arm, great pedigree.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Among the best college quarterback prospects, I think Shedeur Sanders is the least likely to come out for the 2024 Draft.

Combination of his relationship with his father, tremendously high NIL Money and that he could be the first overall pick in 2025, point to him returning to Colorado next season in my opinion. However, it’s still very early.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Anyone else here interested in Primetimes Kid at Colorado? The QB. If he comes out. He got skills.
in a word....NO...remember all the baggage that came with the Ball Brothers in basketball? Imagine Sanders in the media when shit isn't going his kids way...HARD pass, plus, I'm not sure he's all that good....

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in a word....NO...remember all the baggage that came with the Ball Brothers in basketball? Imagine Sanders in the media when shit isn't going his kids way...HARD pass, plus, I'm not sure he's all that good....

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It's not eagerness to push him out but if the opportunity is there to have a young QB waiting in the wings when Stafford eventually gets hurt or retires, it sets us up to continue to compete. Relying on Stafford to never be injured isn't a smart plan if an elite QB is available. A lot depends on where we end up drafting though.
I'd love to have a young future franchise QB waiting in the wings, but IMO it feels like a luxury we can't afford-- if the Rams are serious about going "all in" for 2024 and/or 2025.

The 2021 roster was absolutely stacked-- not just the Big 3 of AD, MS, and CK, but also Ramsey, Floyd, OBJ, Big Whit, and Von Miller, not ti mention a ton of solid players like Darious Williams and Gaines and A'Shawn Robinson, etc. The talent level in 2021 was far beyond what it is now.

IMO, the only way we get enough talent to "load up" again in 2024 is to use every available resource. We've got some great pieces to work with (especially with the Big 3 and an awesome rookie class), but ALL the roster holes need to be filled if there's a chance for another Ring.

Just my 2 cents

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One 9 Replaces Another.
1699564636248.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Quinn motherfucking Ewers bandwagon here. If we get him in the second, I'd be stoked. I look at how he utterly dissected Alabama's vaunted secondary, and I want that.

I bet Snead takes Bo Nix, and I'll go ballistic like I did with Stetson Bennett, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I bet Snead takes Bo Nix, and I'll go ballistic like I did with Stetson Bennett, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
You don't need blue font here, I have this feeling that Snead will like Nix too. Former Auburn guy and I bet Les watches plenty of Oregon football, just have a feeling.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Well if he watched him in Auburn, he might not be as high on him. I sure as hell wasn't.

Ewers scares me. He seemingly is always injured, much like our current QB. Not sure I want to step into that right away.

oldnotdead

Legend
Nix struggled at Auburn but it was a combination of things there. Since he's been at Oregon he's a completely different player. He's throwing better, making better decisions, so IMO its a combination of better coaching and a better scheme fit. Will Stein has done a great job developing Nix. He's not as polished as Penix but he's come a long ways in his second year at Oregon. His completion percentage jumped 10 % his first year in Oregon and his production increased by almost 50%.

It shows the difference when the QB is a scheme fit. It also shows how coachable Nix is and that he's still developing. This is why I've been saying give Nix a year to redshirt and develop behind Stafford and he will be a very good QB. He's a gritty player the kind of QB if he's trailing by one score you don't want to allow him to have the final posession with any time on the clock. He's similar to Joe Burrows in many respects.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I wonder if anybody did a study to see how many quality NFL starting QBs came from the top 16 and how many come later. Hell, just in the last 10 years there have been 26 taken #16 or higher. The quality starters? Goff, Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Tua, Herbert and Lawrence. That's 7of 26, unless you want to include Mayfield, Murray and Watson. And still that's just 10 of 26. Guys taken prior to the last 10 drafts in the top 16 include EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck*, RG3, Tannehill, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, Stafford*, Sanchez, Cutler, Ryan*, J.Russell, VY, Leinart, Alex Smith*, Eli*, Rivers* and Roethlisberger*. I count 7 quality starters out of 20....or a third. So in the last 20 years, that's about 14 coming in the top 16 picks. Not exactly a great return. 14 in 20 years? Even if 6 of those other guys are considered "quality" by some, that's just 20 in 20 years.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know a lot of people don't like him, but if chicago uses one of their top picks on QB and dumps Fields for a reasonable price. I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up. He's still on a rookie contract and makes backup money. He's only 24 and has a lot of potential. He has good size, good arm strength and speed, he could still turn out to be a good player.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I may be in the minority on this, but I'm just not a fan of using high draft choices on underclassmen QBs. That is, not unless they are considered to be one the highest rated QBs over years of draft classes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be in the minority on this, but I'm just not a fan of using high draft choices on underclassmen QBs. That is, not unless they are considered to be one the highest rated QBs over years of draft classes.
I couldnt agree more. Underclassmen with only 1-2 years of experience are pretty much a crap shoot. Caleb Williams of course is an exception, even if he would have been able to come out last year IMO
On a side note, I think that with NIL $$ and transfer portal opportunity, ultimately more QB's will come in to the NFL more game ready due to the additional experience. Meaning that we'll see more QB's from the mid rounds being successful since they werent rushed in to action

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wonder if anybody did a study to see how many quality NFL starting QBs came from the top 16 and how many come later. Hell, just in the last 10 years there have been 26 taken #16 or higher. The quality starters? Goff, Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Tua, Herbert and Lawrence. That's 7of 26, unless you want to include Mayfield, Murray and Watson. And still that's just 10 of 26. Guys taken prior to the last 10 drafts in the top 16 include EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck*, RG3, Tannehill, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, Stafford*, Sanchez, Cutler, Ryan*, J.Russell, VY, Leinart, Alex Smith*, Eli*, Rivers* and Roethlisberger*. I count 7 quality starters out of 20....or a third. So in the last 20 years, that's about 14 coming in the top 16 picks. Not exactly a great return. 14 in 20 years? Even if 6 of those other guys are considered "quality" by some, that's just 20 in 20 years.
That's a LOT of #'s!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am confused, mostly every QB drafted lately is an underclassman. Mahomes & Trevor Lawrence to post a few along with C.J. Stroud.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I am confused, mostly every QB drafted lately is an underclassman. Mahomes & Trevor Lawrence to post a few along with C.J. Stroud.
Lawrence qualifies as one those guys that was highly rated compared to several draft classes.

I get what you are saying, but IMO, the bust rate would be much lower if these kids stayed in school longer. The new salary cap / rookie contract structure has made it more palatable, but I think I'm become more conservative with 1st round selections. I guess that's probably why I was not opposed to dealing later 1st round selections for established veterans.

I prefer taking later round flyers on guys like Dak Prescott, Jalen Hurts, Derrick Carr, Russell Wilson. Even your Brock Purdy, Jimmy Garoppolo, Geno Smith types. IMO, Sam Howell may be next in line. And in the meantime, find a veteran somewhere until you hit with one. In the Rams case, that veteran was Matthew Stafford. And now he could very well could be Carson Wentz.

Last edited: