Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Now, please don't take this the wrong way, have you watched a whole game that Drake Maye has played?
Not at all, that's a super legit question! I have not. I've watched parts of Miami and Syracuse and highlights and am going off Robert Mays and Dane Bruglar's analysis of the rest. I have watched the majority of USC games, love Caleb but he holds ball a long time and can't tell it seems like sometimes receivers aren't getting open or his line isn't doing it's part but also seems like he's missing seeing or taking shots at open guys.

Can't really speak on McCarthy as I haven't watched his stuff nor do the guys I follow talk about him (right now).

Malibu

Pro Bowler
we need to draft other than QB with our higher picks.

Stafford is 35 and turning 36... but Rodgers is almost 40.... brady was 44

Staffords contract is a dead cap monster for 2-3 more years.

Our best bet is to ride with him for a couple more years.

I know some people don't want to hear that and I get it - but its the most logical move forward.
It is not a question of riding with Stafford for a couple more years I agree but this off-season will be our best window to get a franchise QB vs after we reload the following years we will be drafting in the mid to low 20s at a minimum. Odds say getting a QB is our best bet and smartest move. Sure I would love to have an elite Tackle, CB or OLB but reality is without a great QB down the line we will never win it all the Brock Purdy/SF syndrome great team around a mid level QB.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I still think I like Penix the best out of them all, but agree his throwing motion disturbs me. But I don't understand how when he throws it, the ball seems to magically teleport to the perfect spot.

Who's to say that won't happen in the NFL? If someone drafts him expecting to change his mechanics, they're dumbasses.
I watched the USC/Wash game last week. The problem for me with Penix is he really good or not? His OL is so dominate that he literally has up 8 seconds in an unbelievable wide pocket to throw from. It didn't help that USC rushed 3 a bunch dropping 8. So it is hard to tell if he is good or not. To me he looked really good but so did Bradford at OKU but his left tackle was Trent Williams his RT and C or RG made it to the NFL. His TE and RB made NFL probowls so he looked like the best QB in college and the players around were so dominate that his throws looked effortless.

Conversely Caleb Williams has an ok OL. LT out. He has to routinely scramble out to extend a play he doesn't enjoy a wide pocket to throw from and always makes something out of a broken down line play.

Tano

Legend
LACHAMP >> we got Wentz. We don't need to draft a QB now

Sorry - Wentz brought up a lot of old memories with LACHAMP

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If this site wishes to be environmentally friendly, we could probably recycle several posts from last year by simply changing “Baker Mayfield” to “Carson Wentz.”

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Wentz is the QB I've been hoping for for this Offense. Big, can run, has a big arm.

JBRam77

Rookie
We DO need a Franchise Left Tackle, but I'm figuring when you're up this high better grab your Quarterback of the future. I LOVE Stafford and he's a Ram legend forever, but let's face facts, at this point he's a banged-up injury case. That pick-6 in Dallas told me it's more or less over for Staff.
Yeah IMO we grab a QB in the 1st. Let McVay start from scratch with a QB he wants. Stafford is either injured, throws untimely game losing interceptions or is top 5. No in between with this guy. He does too much-he’s a warrior but its time we get a younger, more mobile QB. Drake Maye looks like a younger Justin Herbert. Let him start after sitting and watching Stafford for a year or until he gets injured again by midseason which is much more likely

Memphis Ram

Legend
I still think I like Penix the best out of them all, but agree his throwing motion disturbs me. But I don't understand how when he throws it, the ball seems to magically teleport to the perfect spot.

Who's to say that won't happen in the NFL? If someone drafts him expecting to change his mechanics, they're dumbasses.
From what I've heard he's had multiple knee injuries.

ramphreak

UDFA
Name
Mike
I seriously don't see Williams as much better than several QBs that will be there at pick six. This is a strong QB class and would like to see us grab someone at six

JBRam77

Rookie
Caleb is the closest thing to Mahomes in college or the NFL for that matter. His game is perfect for todays NFL and his measurables too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
LACHAMP >> we got Wentz. We don't need to draft a QB now

Sorry - Wentz brought up a lot of old memories with LACHAMP
I remember that debate. I'm pretty sure when its all said and done we picked the right guy. Goff is clearly a better quarterback.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Does anyone think we could package Stafford and 2 first rounders to get Goff from Detroit if the top 2 QBs are not available?

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Wentz is the QB I've been hoping for for this Offense. Big, can run, has a big arm.
The most important tool any QB has is between the ears. If you can not read a NFL defense, if you do not know where your receivers should be you will be exposed.
We can only hope McVay can help him with the mental part of his game...................as a "backup".

Psycho_X

Legend
I remember that debate. I'm pretty sure when its all said and done we picked the right guy. Goff is clearly a better quarterback.
Goff is a trailer!!!

Man, that guy was unhinged for his Wentz love. There's been a few posters over the years that made their mark in a bad way. LAchamp was one... vermeilfan from the OG official Rams message board before this one existed.... memories.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I will say this for Wentz, before his ACL injury he looked like a stud. It sure looks like when he couldn't run AND plow into people without getting injured (something that Allen is starting to have to deal with), he wasn't flexible enough to develop the other parts of his game that needed developing to get to the next level of quarterbacking. And then, he regressed on TOP of that.

Tano

Legend
Not at all, that's a super legit question! I have not. I've watched parts of Miami and Syracuse and highlights and am going off Robert Mays and Dane Bruglar's analysis of the rest. I have watched the majority of USC games, love Caleb but he holds ball a long time and can't tell it seems like sometimes receivers aren't getting open or his line isn't doing it's part but also seems like he's missing seeing or taking shots at open guys.

Can't really speak on McCarthy as I haven't watched his stuff nor do the guys I follow talk about him (right now).
Yeah that has been my biggest gripe on Caleb

He takes forever to find an open receiver. However, once he does find an open receiver, he is extremely accurate at getting the pass to the receiver.