Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Penix has talent but I absolutely hate his throwing motion. He better be taught by someone to improve that throwing motion.
I said the same thing in a thread a couple of weeks ago. That looping release is not gonna work in the NFL. He's a heck of a competitor, but that throwing motion needs a pretty big overhaul.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I said the same thing in a thread a couple of weeks ago. That looping release is not gonna work in the NFL. He's a heck of a competitor, but that throwing motion needs a pretty big overhaul.
I agree. But he might worthy of a later round flier because I'd be utterly shocked if he goes in the 1st round with this issue and his lengthy injury history.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I agree. But he might worthy of a later round flier because I'd be utterly shocked if he goes in the 1st round with this issue and his lengthy injury history.
The Draft is so much fun. I would be shocked if Penix is Not in the 1st Round.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, Tim Tebow went in the 1st round, there certainly can be a team who makes a mistake and over drafts him
Good call. Penix' throwing motion reminds me a LOT of Tebow's.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Heck, Tim Tebow went in the 1st round, there certainly can be a team who makes a mistake and over drafts him
Agree but you don't have to go that far back to find first round quarterback mistakes.

I was suggesting that, unlike posters @Faceplant and @Memphis Ram, I like Michael Penix a lot.

I also like Faceplant and Memphis. You? You're OK, I guess.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am watching McCarthy today and while at it may as well watch Fashanu. How do we get both these guys lol

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Easy: Fashanu in the first and McCarthy in the second. I think there are enough doubts about him for him to last that long.
We will see, a lot of people have McCarthy gone by our 2nd and Fashanu may be gone by our 1st but both are certainly in play at this very very early moment.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I know a lot of people don't like him, but if chicago uses one of their top picks on QB and dumps Fields for a reasonable price. I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up. He's still on a rookie contract and makes backup money. He's only 24 and has a lot of potential. He has good size, good arm strength and speed, he could still turn out to be a good player.
Not a terrible idea.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sure sounds like a lot of QBs are coming back to earth with more tape to watch on them. Not necessarily a bad thing for us. I'm not sure the Penix and Nix's of the world won't be avail much later than we expect. Ewers, Daniels, Sanders, Beck may all be available in the 2-3 round. McCarthy maybe a 1st rounder? Not sure, about him.

Really seems like strength of upperclassmen is LT, Pass Catcher (WR/TE), and Edge in 1st... and we could use any one of those.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We will see, a lot of people have McCarthy gone by our 2nd and Fashanu may be gone by our 1st but both are certainly in play at this very very early moment.
Watching a game like today and you wonder what people see in McCarthy. But it's really all I've watched of him this year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Watching a game like today and you wonder what people see in McCarthy. But it's really all I've watched of him this year.
He's tough. He's making plays with his legs. And he's not making mistakes. It's not like he's playing the Broncos defense!

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I want to say ... "I'm a Penix man" ... but that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I could go with ... "I like Penix" ... but that's not any better.

Damn! ... "This is Hard" ... UGH!!! ... Let's just talk Offensive Tackles.
We could really penetrate a defense with Penix. We'd have to give him a clean pocket with solid protection....nothing worse than a banged up Penix.

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
We could really penatrate a defense with Penix. We'd have to give him a clean pocket with solid protection....nothing worse than a banged up Penix.
Is that Penix standing upright in the pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen plenty of his games and have the same wonder. College ball game manager. 2nd day pick? Sure, I can see that. 1st rounder? Nah

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree but you don't have to go that far back to find first round quarterback mistakes.

I was suggesting that, unlike posters @Faceplant and @Memphis Ram, I like Michael Penix a lot.

I also like Faceplant and Memphis. You? You're OK, I guess.
Well, I thing you're swell, friend. Also, I didn't say I didn't like Penix, I just worry about the Penix release. I'm not sure that can be corrected, but he's worth a shot at the right (draft) position.

What I'm saying is, I don't think Penix is as swell at this stage, but he could become swollen with the right help.....

And who wouldn't like a swollen Penix as your teams QB?

#BDE

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wonder if anybody did a study to see how many quality NFL starting QBs came from the top 16 and how many come later. Hell, just in the last 10 years there have been 26 taken #16 or higher. The quality starters? Goff, Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Tua, Herbert and Lawrence. That's 7of 26, unless you want to include Mayfield, Murray and Watson. And still that's just 10 of 26. Guys taken prior to the last 10 drafts in the top 16 include EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck*, RG3, Tannehill, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Bradford, Stafford*, Sanchez, Cutler, Ryan*, J.Russell, VY, Leinart, Alex Smith*, Eli*, Rivers* and Roethlisberger*. I count 7 quality starters out of 20....or a third. So in the last 20 years, that's about 14 coming in the top 16 picks. Not exactly a great return. 14 in 20 years? Even if 6 of those other guys are considered "quality" by some, that's just 20 in 20 years.

But you can’t ignore the fact that Stroud, Young, and Richardson can all be quality starters. If those develop into quality starters (which two are almost there already) then that’s a 50% success rate which I’m sure is much higher than any other round.