Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
But you can’t ignore the fact that Stroud, Young, and Richardson can all be quality starters. If those develop into quality starters (which two are almost there already) then that’s a 50% success rate which I’m sure is much higher than any other round.
Certainly not. There are always those drafts that go against the norm and produce multiple quality first round QBs. Like 2020. Burrow, Tua, Herbert in the first and Hurts in the 2nd round. But let's not crown this group just yet. Stroud looks like the real deal. Young isn't anywhere close to that but there's time. Richardson has played 4 games and thrown 84 passes. I assume he's one of the 2 you mention as being "almost there already". After 4 games? Really? I remember when 4 GP and 13 on IR suggested the complete opposite.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Certainly not. There are always those drafts that go against the norm and produce multiple quality first round QBs. Like 2020. Burrow, Tua, Herbert in the first and Hurts in the 2nd round. But let's not crown this group just yet. Stroud looks like the real deal. Young isn't anywhere close to that but there's time. Richardson has played 4 games and thrown 84 passes. I assume he's one of the 2 you mention as being "almost there already". After 4 games? Really? I remember when 4 GP and 13 on IR suggested the complete opposite.
Yeah, it’s a small sample size, but he did look like a solid choice. In fact, he has 1 less TD in four games than Stafford does in 8. That’s not even meant to be a dig at Stafford. When we played Richardson, I thought at half time that he was exposed, but he wasn’t. He (and his team) came back from a 20 point deficit. That is not something a common rookie does.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Young looks like a historic bust given his metrics this season. Sure, he could turn it around possibly but there's nothing that's happening this season that you can point to and say, that's something we can build on.

It's truly brutal.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Quinn motherfucking Ewers bandwagon here. If we get him in the second, I'd be stoked. I look at how he utterly dissected Alabama's vaunted secondary, and I want that.

I bet Snead takes Bo Nix, and I'll go ballistic like I did with Stetson Bennett, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'm not so sure he's not a 1st rounder. Could be intriguing.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nix will certainly be there in later rounds for us.
Man, I have to disagree.

Earlier today, a couple posters suggested Michael Penix will be there in the later rounds.

There are teams that will be desperate for quarterbacks; and I see both Penix and Bo Nix in Round One.

Ton of time and evaluation processes to happen but it will be interesting to see how things play-out.

WestCoastRam

Legend
But you can’t ignore the fact that Stroud, Young, and Richardson can all be quality starters. If those develop into quality starters (which two are almost there already) then that’s a 50% success rate which I’m sure is much higher than any other round.
Not sure what we've seen from Young this season that would predict a quality starter. I get he has no pass catchers and a poor oline but the guy is putting together a HISTORICALLY bad 1st campaign.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Not sure what we've seen from Young this season that would predict a quality starter. I get he has no pass catchers and a poor oline but the guy is putting together a HISTORICALLY bad 1st campaign.
Goff was worse. Historically bad.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it’s a small sample size, but he did look like a solid choice. In fact, he has 1 less TD in four games than Stafford does in 8. That’s not even meant to be a dig at Stafford. When we played Richardson, I thought at half time that he was exposed, but he wasn’t. He (and his team) came back from a 20 point deficit. That is not something a common rookie does.
No dig at Stafford perceived. He has 3 TD passes (3.6%) which equates to 21 for every 600 attempts. He does have 4 rushing TDs. But he runs once for every 3.4 passes he throws (he averaged 6 runs per game). Is that because he can't find the open guy? He's got two good ones in Pittman and Downs. Is it because he hasn't learned how to get through his progressions quickly enough? Or is it because their run game wasn't as good as it could have been with Taylor? Though Moss has a 4.7 ypc average. Sure he's big but 6 rushes a game equates to 102 times a season. And in the NFL, that's a recipe for fewer passes and/or IR....where he is for the rest of the season. FWIW, I think he could be a good QB if he progresses well and runs less. I'm not nearly as confident about Young.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I originally said that Young was way too short just like Murray.

Murray though had better escape ability than Young and was able to make plays while his legs were fresh in the first 8 games of a season.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wonder how Aaron Donald or Matt Staford would react to seeing a QB selected in the 1st round when they've agreed to this type of season in hopes of going for it again in 2024?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I originally said that Young was way too short just like Murray.

Murray though had better escape ability than Young and was able to make plays while his legs were fresh in the first 8 games of a season.

Murray's got a gun too. Young's arm is just average. That's a problem at that height.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wonder how Aaron Donald or Matt Staford would react to seeing a QB selected in the 1st round when they've agreed to this type of season in hopes of going for it again in 2024?

Selecting a QB has nothing to do with the success of 24. We will have cap space to sign a few decent free agents. If you have a qb sitting there that you think is going to be a franchise guy for the next 15 years, you don’t pass that because of a few guys feelings when they’re not going to be playing 1-5 years from now.

Plus, they’ve been around awhile. They understand it’s just business.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Selecting a QB has nothing to do with the success of 24. We will have cap space to sign a few decent free agents. If you have a qb sitting there that you think is going to be a franchise guy for the next 15 years, you don’t pass that because of a few guys feelings when they’re not going to be playing 1-5 years from now.

Plus, they’ve been around awhile. They understand it’s just business.
It may if you a debating whether or not to play in 2024 and want someone with a better chance of providing an immediate impact (Donald). Besides, cap space to sign a few free agents doesn't mean they'll get who they want given the competition.

Then again, it may motivate Stafford into a much better performance like it did Aaron Rodgers a few years back.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Did I miss something? Is Richardson determined to be a bust because of an injury? He was looking pretty dang electric prior to the injury IMO.
Richardson isn't a bust...but this year will get an incomplete grade. Kinda typical compared to a proven vet like Stafford, no?

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Really not sure McVay wants to tutor a rookie QB. Seems like the plan is Wentz after Stafford hangs it up. Hopefully Stafford retires after this season.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Stafford doesn't sound like he is going away anytime soon. He said he loves playing football and he loves playing for the Rams. But it's okay to draft a QB and let him sit and learn for a season or two. I can see that happening.