Yes, the Rams may be in the QB draft market (no tanking required)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
@Memento and I are running the Quinn Ewers bandwagon. Tickets for sale just look at that glorious hair!

quinn-ewers_03.jpg
As a Longhorns fan, I'd be in on Quinn. He's got an accurate short to mid ball, needs a little work on the deep one. He's a leader and put in work after last season to get in better shape, isn't afraid to tuck and run. Love everything about this kid.

Ellard80

Legend
we need to draft other than QB with our higher picks.

Stafford is 35 and turning 36... but Rodgers is almost 40.... brady was 44

Staffords contract is a dead cap monster for 2-3 more years.

Our best bet is to ride with him for a couple more years.

I know some people don't want to hear that and I get it - but its the most logical move forward.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Really like Jayden Daniels out of LSU too. He's got progressively better since his time at ASU. Looks like he's got a strong arm and the kid is mobile. Should be a later round pick.

NYCRam

Rookie

I know some people don't want to hear that and I get it - but its the most logical move forward.
While I do "get it," I'm still not opposed to Drafting a QB while playing Matthew ALL of '24. Kind of like Mahomes sitting for a year while Alex Smith played. Brady sat for a year too and Rodgers sat THREE years.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

I agree with the dead cap thing. The age thing I disagree with. Rogers and Brady were protected their entire career. They never took the punishment Stafford took. Stafford is 35 going on 45. He looks like he’s constantly hurt (even when he’s not injured).

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Caleb (USC)
Nix (Ore)
Penix (Wash)
Sanders (Col)
Ward (Wash St)

Those guys don’t get too many easy games. They are practically in a round robin of QBs being talked up for the upcoming draft in a conference which boasts 5 teams ranked in the top 25. What I like about this situation is all of these guys will have played in a lot of big games. That means more experience playing under duress.

If one of these guys should fall to the Rams in the right spot, I wouldn’t complain if they were the selection. Of course, not every one of these guys should be considered in the 1rst round.

Ellard80

Legend
While I do "get it," I'm still not opposed to Drafting a QB while playing Matthew ALL of '24. Kind of like Mahomes sitting for a year while Alex Smith played. Brady sat for a year too and Rodgers sat THREE years.
im not against drafting a QB... just not with the 1st round pick.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

This.

Frankly I don't quite understand why so many are eager to rush out and find a replacement for Stafford.

Anybody notice a slight drop-off in talent from Stafford to Rypien?

Stafford's a franchise QB with elite skills. He's only 35, which isn't that old for QB's these days. Yeah he's a beat-up 35, but he's a tough bastard. And as far as we know, he doesn't have any injuries that are career- threatening.

Stafford has won a SB and is fully capable of winning another one-- given health and a strong supporting cast, both of which are fully possible in 2024 and 2025. And his 40M annual salary isn't high enough to cripple the cap.

I'm so thankful we have a proven franchise QB with a few good years left... many of us remember what it was like wandering for years and years without a good QB. I'm not so eager to roll the dice on another young unproven QB.... have y'all forgotten about Sam Bradford?

The glass is half-full at QB and many here don't seem to realize how lucky we are to have MS for another couple years.

Ellard80

Legend
This.

Frankly I don't quite understand why so many are eager to rush out and find a replacement for Stafford.

Anybody notice a slight drop-off in talent from Stafford to Rypien?

Stafford's a franchise QB with elite skills. He's only 35, which isn't that old for QB's these days. Yeah he's a beat-up 35, but he's a tough bastard. And as far as we know, he doesn't have any injuries that are career- threatening.

Stafford has won a SB and is fully capable of winning another one-- given health and a strong supporting cast, both of which are fully possible in 2024 and 2025. And his 40M annual salary isn't high enough to cripple the cap.

I'm so thankful we have a proven franchise QB with a few good years left... many of us remember what it was like wandering for years and years without a good QB. I'm not so eager to roll the dice on another young unproven QB.... have y'all forgotten about Sam Bradford?

The glass is half-full at QB and many here don't seem to realize how lucky we are to have MS for another couple years.
yeah... stafford can play more consistently for sure.

But we have so many other bigger holes on the team that need filled than QB.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Only way I'd consider drafting a QB in the first round is if Stafford said, "I'm 100% certain I will retire after the 2024 season."

Otherwise, grab an LT or CB or OLB and make a run at another ring.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Caleb (USC)
Nix (Ore)
Penix (Wash)
Sanders (Col)
Ward (Wash St)

Those guys don’t get too many easy games. They are practically in a round robin of QBs being talked up for the upcoming draft in a conference which boasts 5 teams ranked in the top 25. What I like about this situation is all of these guys will have played in a lot of big games. That means more experience playing under duress.

If one of these guys should fall to the Rams in the right spot, I wouldn’t complain if they were the selection. Of course, not every one of these guys should be considered in the 1rst round.
The one negative that they will all have in common is that they play in the Pac12 (for now) and the Pac12 is pretty light on defense this year. They are not without it, but they are not playing SEC defenses every week. That said, I think all of those guys have a lot of talent, would just love to see them in the CFP to get a clearer picture.

oldnotdead

Legend
Where the Ram's finish this season will only affect how many 1's Snead will need to move up to get the guy they are targeting. Penix is more polished as a pocket passer. Nix is a good pocket passer but willing to run. Both have excellent arms with good accuracy. Penix has deceptive speed and quickness that he uses to extend plays hoping to pass. If nothing is open he will throw it away. That is exactly the kind of QB McVay likes. Both Penix and Nix are full field readers. Caleb isn't. IMO Maye is better than Williams. I think Caleb will drop, how far depends upon the desperation of teams. But I see Maye, Penix and Nix going before him. Williams is a product of the media hype. He's got talent but not any better than the other three. They have skill sets he lacks.

Williams needs a zone read/ RPO offense. He's not a pocket passer like Stafford. Both Penix and Nix can play in a McVay style offense with multiple options ergo multiple reads. Penix is ahead of Nix in that regard. But give Nix a red shirt year and he will be able to play well in that style. Regardless Snead will move up to get whoever they are targeting. There is no question that they have a targeted QB or QBs.

The reason I say they are probably looking at Nix or Penix is because they are the top rated pure pocket passers in the draft. If they stay with McVay or move on to someone like DeBoer either of these guys are a fit for the Ram's WRs. DeBoer runs an offense very much like the Rams. Strong running game, short to medium passes all to set up the deep strike. Washington has 3 outstanding WRs and a good run game. Anyone watching the Huskies would see the eerie similarities in their offense compared to the Rams under McVay. Oregon runs a similar style offense with a better run game but not the level of WR threats as the Huskies. Both QBs could be first year starters if required. Both would really benefit from a red shirt year while providing a very good backup.

The only thing that will drop Penix are concerns about his durability. Teams that want a dual threat QB will look at Maye and Nix first. It's why I think the Rams have a shot at Penix though Seattle has expressed a lot of interest in him. Penix's arm talent is every bit as good as Stafford's and IMO that's what will intrigue McVay. He could see a young Stafford in Penix. Another thing Penix has in common with Stafford is outstanding field vision to allow them to exploit their arm talent. This is why I've been saying since last year that Penix is a McVay kind of QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Rams are going to package draft picks, their track record has been to do that for established players.

Unless Stafford gives them a retirement timeline, I think we continue to build around him.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I'm hoping the Rams use their draft capitol on a QB. Not sure McVay is going to want to mentor and develop a rookie QB though.