“Wow, these guys are superstars.” OL Bobby Evans’ first impression of the big leagues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/rookie-role-analysis-bobby-evans

Thursday, May 09, 2019 02:25 PM
Rookie role analysis: What can Bobby Evans bring to the offensive line room?
Myles Simmons

https://www.therams.com/video/2019-draft-highlights-bobby-evans

https://www.therams.com/video/studio-call-in-bobby-evans

Because two starters on Los Angeles’ offensive line departed the franchise during the offseason, the Rams’ depth pieces from last year — Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen — are now slated to become starters in 2019. That, in turn, created a need for L.A. to replenish depth up front.Enter Bobby Evans out of Oklahoma, who has a chance to be an important part of the Rams’ offensive line in 2019 and beyond.

OUTLOOK AT THE POSITION
At this point, the Rams have three positions solidified with returning starters in left tackle Andrew Whitworth, right guard Austin Blythe, and right tackle Rob Havenstein.

As Los Angeles continues through Phase II of the offseason program, 2018 third-round pick Noteboom and 2018 fourth-round pick Allen have been working at left guard and center, respectively. Essentially, they are the expected starters at those positions heading into the regular season.

A sixth-round pick last year, Jamil Demby is also on the roster to provide depth, and at this point likely slots in as one of the first players off the bench. The Rams usually keep seven offensive linemen active on their 46-man gameday roster. Jeremiah Kolone and Aaron Neary are also on the 90-man roster currently, and both have spent time in the organization either during the offseason or on the practice squad over the last couple years.

ROLE AS A ROOKIE
As it relates to Evans, it’s unlikely that there will be much competition for a starting role on the offensive line. But like Noteboom and Allen last year, Evans has a chance to be an important depth piece.

Run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer said on draft night that Evans will be cross-trained at both tackle and guard when he arrives. Kromer believes that’s the best way for young lineman to learn the ways of the NFL.

Evans does enter the league with the benefit of already having played on both sides of the offensive line in college. At Oklahoma, Evans started at right tackle as a redshirt freshman and sophomore in 2016 and 2017. Then in 2018, Evans flipped over to left tackle, blocking for Heisman Trophy winner-turned No. 1 overall pick quarterback Kyler Murray.So Evans has a solid chance to be one of Los Angeles’ backup linemen on the 46-man gameday roster.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So boys run different to girls? Is that your point? For freak sake... Dude, when was the last time you cried? I get the feeling you need a hug
Purely from a scientific perspective, females tend to have wider hips (which attach to the legs, used for running) and males tend to have stronger upper bodies (shown to affect running speed, not sure about form) so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did in fact run differently from a biomechanical standpoint.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Purely from a scientific perspective, females tend to have wider hips (which attach to the legs, used for running) and males tend to have stronger upper bodies (shown to affect running speed, not sure about form) so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did in fact run differently from a biomechanical standpoint.

Yeah, women walk differently than men, so it makes sense that they run different as well. Females tend to run slower than men. Smaller lungs, wider hips, breasts, weaker upper body.

As a transfemale myself, I understand that it's different.

Ram65

Legend
I wonder if Evans could give Blythe some competition during the season. At the least he should be a good backup and future starter.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Yeah, women walk differently than men, so it makes sense that they run different as well. Females tend to run slower than men. Smaller lungs, wider hips, breasts, weaker upper body.

As a transfemale myself, I understand that it's different.

Woman also out perform men at University, perhaps because they don’t have as much air between their ears LOL

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Woman also out perform men at University, perhaps because they don’t have as much air between their ears LOL

Or they are not thinking about how those breast feel against there chest. Being a breast & legman.The wide hips are fun to separate in between. .

To add , Evens seems like a smart player & really doesn’t seem to have much air between his ears.
I watched a little film per say & came away impressed by 3 man things !!!

1. The way he keeps his hands inside, especially as a tackle. Seems like a real rare trate ??
2. He pulls so smoothly & naturally. Sings of good guard play.
3. Seems machine like, almost like a robot on his assignment. He just seems to understand his responsibilities. Gets to a spot & finds his blocker.Leaves his space & a Defensive Line Just standing there.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Evans nasty streak leaps out on tape. He really wants to dominate the guy across from him. I could see him switching to Guard myself. He has that mentality to go battle in there IMO.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Did list as one of his Weaknesses....Damn you @Mackeyser

Weaknesses....
  • Plodding with heavy feet out in space
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bobby-evans?id=32194556-4123-7310-44e4-5ca5223f4b63

I noticed that about him...

Astro.jpg

So boys run different to girls? Is that your point? For freak sake... Dude, when was the last time you cried? I get the feeling you need a hug
Probably throws like a girl, too. sheesh.

That, and because their professors aren't lecturing them about "toxic femininity".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/wow-th...bby-evans-first-impression-of-the-big-leagues

Thursday, May 16, 2019 09:45 AM

“Wow, these guys are superstars.” OL Bobby Evans’ first impression of the big leagues
By Clarence Dennis

Rookie offensive lineman Bobby Evans played some big-time football at the University of Oklahoma.

He started at both right and left tackle protecting future No. 1 overall draft picks in quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, played in two College Football Playoffs, and became one of four Sooner offensive linemen selected in the first four rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft.

“We pushed each other each and every day, our coach didn’t allow anything less,” Evans said in his opening press conference as a pro. “We held each other to a really high standard, and as far as off the field we were never late, we didn’t have any misses or anything like that, so we pretty much led the team.”

Now at the rookie ranks year one in L.A., Evans gave his first impression of taking the practice field with O-line giants like veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and his right tackle counterpart Rob Havenstein.

“I know that I respect their game and those are some big ol’ dudes, like 6-foot-6, 6-foot-7,” Evans said. “I respect them a lot and I know they’ve been playing ball a while, so just to learn from them is a good experience.”

The Oklahoma product is certainly a “big ol’ dude” in his own right, listed at 6-foot-5, and weighing 313 pounds. But it wasn’t really the size of 6-foot-7, 335-pound Whitworth and the gang that that caught Evans off guard on Day 1. Instead it was running drills in his navy and white practice gear next to some particularly recognizable names on the defensive side of the ball.

“It is what I expected because I expected them to be bigger and stronger and faster and things like that,” Evans said. “Coming out and being on the same field as these guys like Aaron Donald and all those guys, it’s crazy. Like, ‘Wow these guys are superstars, but I’m on the same field as them.’ So it’s been a pretty cool experience.”

https://www.therams.com/video/evans-whatever-coach-wants-me-to-do-i-m-willing-to-do-it

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
https://www.therams.com/news/wow-th...bby-evans-first-impression-of-the-big-leagues

Thursday, May 16, 2019 09:45 AM

By Clarence Dennis

Rookie offensive lineman Bobby Evans played some big-time football at the University of Oklahoma.

He started at both right and left tackle protecting future No. 1 overall draft picks in quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, played in two College Football Playoffs, and became one of four Sooner offensive linemen selected in the first four rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft.

“We pushed each other each and every day, our coach didn’t allow anything less,” Evans said in his opening press conference as a pro. “We held each other to a really high standard, and as far as off the field we were never late, we didn’t have any misses or anything like that, so we pretty much led the team.”

Now at the rookie ranks year one in L.A., Evans gave his first impression of taking the practice field with O-line giants like veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and his right tackle counterpart Rob Havenstein.

“I know that I respect their game and those are some big ol’ dudes, like 6-foot-6, 6-foot-7,” Evans said. “I respect them a lot and I know they’ve been playing ball a while, so just to learn from them is a good experience.”

The Oklahoma product is certainly a “big ol’ dude” in his own right, listed at 6-foot-5, and weighing 313 pounds. But it wasn’t really the size of 6-foot-7, 335-pound Whitworth and the gang that that caught Evans off guard on Day 1. Instead it was running drills in his navy and white practice gear next to some particularly recognizable names on the defensive side of the ball.

“It is what I expected because I expected them to be bigger and stronger and faster and things like that,” Evans said. “Coming out and being on the same field as these guys like Aaron Donald and all those guys, it’s crazy. Like, ‘Wow these guys are superstars, but I’m on the same field as them.’ So it’s been a pretty cool experience.”

https://www.therams.com/video/evans-whatever-coach-wants-me-to-do-i-m-willing-to-do-it

thTHE1WAAS.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Jesus people please stop with this and get back to football discussion before you render this an unreadable thread.

oldnotdead

Legend
I see Evans as this year's swing tackle but moving inside to OG when Whitworth retires and Noteboom moves into the LT spot to stay. I see Noteboom playing LG this year to give him game experience. Noteboom has the length and long arms giving him the play radius you want in an OT. I see Evans as their swing because he's further along in his development IMO than Edwards.

Both Evans and Edwards are raw and the NFL is extremely technique heavy particularly on the oline, which is going to require time and reps to acquire. In the case of Edwards personally from what I've seen he looks to be at least a 2 year project. I think he will end up on the PS this season. In the case of Edwards I think he's destined to be an OG. Both Evans and Edwards need the benefit of a full year on an NFL strengthening regime.

Personally I've always favored developing your OG's from collegiate OT's. I think physically you have more to work with, such as longer arms (greater play radius) and generally quicker feet.

I think with Havenstein, Noteboom and Evans the Rams are set at OT even after Whitworth retires.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see Evans as this year's swing tackle but moving inside to OG when Whitworth retires and Noteboom moves into the LT spot to stay. I see Noteboom playing LG this year to give him game experience. Noteboom has the length and long arms giving him the play radius you want in an OT. I see Evans as their swing because he's further along in his development IMO than Edwards.

Both Evans and Edwards are raw and the NFL is extremely technique heavy particularly on the oline, which is going to require time and reps to acquire. In the case of Edwards personally from what I've seen he looks to be at least a 2 year project. I think he will end up on the PS this season. In the case of Edwards I think he's destined to be an OG. Both Evans and Edwards need the benefit of a full year on an NFL strengthening regime.

Personally I've always favored developing your OG's from collegiate OT's. I think physically you have more to work with, suzch as longer arms (greater play radius) and generally quicker feet.

I think with Havenstein, Noteboom and Evans the Rams are set at OT even after Whitworth retires.
Some excellent points! As I see it the wild card here with the Rams OL @ this time is Kormer & his Classic Outside Zone Running Scheme & that fact its his job as the OC alone to develop & be responsible to have a smooth highly operation running game primed & ready to be utilized by McVay when he wants too!

What I have seen here since the beginning of the 2017 season was the moment to a full & complete commitment to this COZRS. Going into this 2019 season I see no let off the gas pedal here & we will continue to run hard with this scheme more than ever. Kromer got three drafted OL'ers last season & it still remains highly probable that all three 2nd year players will be starters by the end of this season right into the Championship games.

Kromer lost two very well seasoned good starters a few months ago & Snead/McVay saw to it that Kromer go two replacements in this past draft about 3 weeks back. When you review these 2 new top skilled rookie OL'ers you see how they were selected with COZRS fully in mind. Of course, both were OT's in college but they are highly versatile.

IMO David Edwards will never see the Practice Squad. He might be the 9th or 10 th OLer on the roster though. Yes, I said 9th or 10th OL Kormer is going to go heavy this season on the numbers in his active OL cadre. He has a priority to have a new sound starting LT & RG in place by seasons end to replace Whitworth & Blythe in 2020. Edwards 6-7 315 lbs now will contend hard to be Kromer's starting RG or LG in 2020.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Personally I've always favored developing your OG's from collegiate OT's. I think physically you have more to work with, such as longer arms (greater play radius) and generally quicker feet.

I don’t think Edwards would last 15 minutes on the PS. That’s simply not a realistic scenario..

Look, Kromer’s history of evaluating and development of OL players has been amazing. I see no reason to believe that that will continue with Evans and Edwards.

As to which player fits where? Kromer has all summer to sort that out and it seems way to early to try to pigeonhole all these guys.

But I will say this. I believe that Kromer now has his bedrock of present and future starters onboard. I’m really high on this position group.

My guess is Boom at LOT in ‘20 and one of Evans or Edwards at LG. Maybe even one at LG and the other at RG. Hell, even Demby could sneak in at one G position. If I’m right, we will have a very young OL across the board. One that might be able to play together for years.

Hot Damn!

oldnotdead

Legend
The chances of Edwards playing this year are IMO slim - none, simply too much work to be done in one year. If he was that good he wouldn't have fallen as far as he did. I have doubts he can hold up at OT in the NFL and if I remember correctly he's never played OG. He's under strength at this level, and has a lot of problems with his technique.

The Rams are probably only going to carry 9 on the oline at most on the active roster probably only 8 stashing a few on the PS to be called up if needed. At OT he's behind Evans as probable swing OT. Noteboom will spend this season getting starting reps at LOG before moving to LT. So Edwards would have to beat out Demby and Blythe at RG which I think is very unrealistic. If they want to keep him that badly, they could keep Edwards on the 53 roster and hope Demby clears waivers back to the PS, which is not a given.

On a team like the Rams it's always about the numbers. Don't get me wrong, I like Edwards, but I really do see him destined to be an OG not OT and that's going to take time to convert him which is what they are doing BTW. Notice all the OT's among the UDFAs? You think they are all going to be OT's?

Edwards fell in the draft partly due to his lack of position experience. Don't forget he was a QB and TE before he was a RT. At best I think they see a backup swing OT at some point after Evans moves to LG and Noteboom to LT.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Unathletic 8 year old” would’ve easily driven the point home just as well.
You are correct. Using the words “Unathletic” and “girl” in the same sentence could be considered redundant. :sneaky: Kidding. However, you may be in the wrong forum for politically correct banter. o_O

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Bump ...

It's happening, so we'll soon see how the early prognosticators did ...

Seems I did read an article some 6 weeks or so ago mentioning that Evans had improved in practice as opposed to what we witnessed in camp. Tried searching for it but came up empty.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How did Evans look in preseason?

I'll be kind by saying ... it wasn't very pretty, same should be said for Demby.
On the other hand, Edwards & Brewer looked sharp. One of the problems evaluating camp was because none of the Rams OL starters performed in the pre-season games, so under the guise of cross-training, the new guys were moved around so much that it would have been difficult for them to find a natural 'home' position. jmo.