“Wow, these guys are superstars.” OL Bobby Evans’ first impression of the big leagues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#97 overall

T Oklahoma

Evans had a tough task in 2018, taking over for All-American Orlando Brown at left tackle. He excelled in that role, earnings second-team All-Big 12 honors after starting all 14 games for the playoff participants. He had started across from Brown at right tackle in all 14 games as a sophomore, garnering honorable mention All-Big 12 notice. He was also an honorable mention all-conference pick his redshirt freshman campaign, starting the team's final 12 games at right tackle. Evans was a four-star recruit at Allen (Texas) High School, ranking among the top 100 overall prospects and top 10 offensive linemen. His father, Bobby Joe, was the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball, then played at Oklahoma. His brother, Tay, played linebacker for the Sooners in 2015 and 2016 before injuries ended his career.

Overview
Three-year starter with tackle experience on both sides who plays with excellent core strength, good hand placement and a noticeable nasty streak. Evans is below average as an athlete but makes up for it with upper-body power and solid technique. Despite being under 6-foot-5, his arm length (34 3/4 inches) might convince a team to try him at right tackle before any moves inside. He might be scheme-dependent, but strength and toughness give him a shot at becoming a good backup with eventual starter potential.
Strengths
  • Built with a stout frame and nearly 35-inch arms
  • Started at both right and left tackle and might offer swing value
  • Relatively unfazed by bull-rush attempts
  • Sticks a strong punch into the chest of incoming rushers
  • Grip strength for solid secure and mirror
  • Impressive core strength
  • Shows ability to match power for power in upper half
  • Adequate agility for short pulls
  • Well-schooled with feel for landmarks and technique
  • Good timing and radar up to second-level targets on gap runs
  • Play demeanor best described as aggressive and chippy
Weaknesses
  • Shorter than average at the tackle spot
  • Hip tightness restricts depth of kick slides
  • Below-average quickness in race versus edge rushers
  • Shows a tendency to lunge when beaten
  • Lacks proper hip bend to drop pad level and win with leverage
  • Could struggle in generating drive movement if moved inside to guard
  • Stiff-kneed upper-body mauler on down blocks
  • Narrow drive base causes him to fall off-center from the block
  • Faces range limitations as move blocker
  • Plodding with heavy feet out in space

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kromer must've seen something he liked.

Psycho_X

Legend
Hmm, yeah unexpected for me. He plays really high from the stuff I've seen, gets bent back a lot, which will get him murdered in the NFL. But they must of liked him a lot. Seems solid but never dominating. But I guess that's what you usually get in the mid rounds.

Edit: after watching above video he does have nice feet. Definitely could be very good in our zone blocking scheme we use. I can see why they'd bring him in cause of that.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Makes sense for the Rams to give him reps at LT, since Whit does not practice much during the season. See what he can do and evaluate.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Makes sense for the Rams to give him reps at LT, since Whit does not practice much during the season. See what he can do and evaluate.

I think it's more likely the Rams have him as a backup guard and right tackle. Noteboom is the backup LT.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's more likely the Rams have him as a backup guard and right tackle. Noteboom is the backup LT.

But Noteboom is the starting LG - while I expect some LT time in practice, I also think they'll want to work him at LG as much as practical. I suspect Evans will get practice time all over.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting at RG sooner rather than later.. He's a better prospect than current RG Bythe.
Also its my hope we can make Bythe our back up OG/OC (long term good back up guy) asap

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting at RG sooner rather than later.. He's a better prospect than current RG Bythe.
Also its my hope we can make Bythe our back up OG/OC (long term good back up guy) asap

Sounds like a backup on the right side (which, we really didn't have any depth there). If he surprised in camp... could he push Blythe to center and Allen as a main backup?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He will start in 2020 at guard
Great feet, natural strength, long arms--known communicator. Can back up Havenstein.
Has all of Saffold's traits....
Also Zac Taylor worked with him for a few years, knows him...Rams know exactly what they are getting.
He may end up being a top 3 guard from this draft in the end...just like Saff.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope you’re right. On one clip NFL Network played of Evans, he was pulling right from LT and he ran like an unathletic 8 year old girl playing soccer to his assignment.

I keep reading that he has great feet.

I don’t see that. The other attributes I see. Not the feet, tho.

Hope I’m wrong and my casual look just caught him on a crappy play for him. But I didn’t see a single play that actually showed great feet.

Reminds me of Chris Long coming out of Virginia. He had TERRIBLE footwork coming out. Thankfully, he was dedicated to fixing that and he did.

I don’t think Evans’ footwork is irreparable. But he’s got a LOT of work to do, imho, and I think his best spot is at RG. It wouldn’t hurt for him to watch a lot of Saffold tape in his spare time...

Saffold spoiled us. I LOVE Noteboom as his replacement, but our depth is an issue. If Evans is better than the little tape I’ve seen, our depth improved.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you’re right. On one clip NFL Network played of Evans, he was pulling right from LT and he ran like an unathletic 8 year old girl playing soccer to his assignment.

I keep reading that he has great feet.

I don’t see that. The other attributes I see. Not the feet, tho.

Hope I’m wrong and my casual look just caught him on a crappy play for him. But I didn’t see a single play that actually showed great feet.

Reminds me of Chris Long coming out of Virginia. He had TERRIBLE footwork coming out. Thankfully, he was dedicated to fixing that and he did.

I don’t think Evans’ footwork is irreparable. But he’s got a LOT of work to do, imho, and I think his best spot is at RG. It wouldn’t hurt for him to watch a lot of Saffold tape in his spare time...

Saffold spoiled us. I LOVE Noteboom as his replacement, but our depth is an issue. If Evans is better than the little tape I’ve seen, our depth improved.
Like this 8 yr old girl, Mac? lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPJA9ec38A

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Not at all. And there are amazing girls who are lighting up the pitch, no doubt. But if you’ve ever watched an average game of AYSO soccer with young kids, especially girls, they tend to run in packs...if you call that running. By 10-11, the skills tend to even out, but in the younger brackets, I dunno.

My youngest son when he played also ran like that, so it’s not exclusively a gender thing. Just an unathletic thing.

I hope Evans is better than the little I’ve seen. Like...way better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will start in 2020 at guard
Great feet, natural strength, long arms--known communicator. Can back up Havenstein.
Has all of Saffold's traits....
Also Zac Taylor worked with him for a few years, knows him...Rams know exactly what they are getting.
He may end up being a top 3 guard from this draft in the end...just like Saff.

kromer said it was zak, his son that worked extensively with evans in college. so they know everything about him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
This is why I’m not freaking out about the pick.

They know him well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all. And there are amazing girls who are lighting up the pitch, no doubt. But if you’ve ever watched an average game of AYSO soccer with young kids, especially girls, they tend to run in packs...if you call that running. By 10-11, the skills tend to even out, but in the younger brackets, I dunno.

My youngest son when he played also ran like that, so it’s not exclusively a gender thing. Just an unathletic thing.

I hope Evans is better than the little I’ve seen. Like...way better.
* In 2020, Mac buys Evans jersey....