“Wow, these guys are superstars.” OL Bobby Evans’ first impression of the big leagues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jacktheripper85

Starter
321542E3-03F6-4D32-9FAE-A2FDD9DBBF5B.jpeg

TexasRam

Legend
When I looked at tape of Evans, I see a guy who is very similar to Jamon Brown.

Here is the comparisons I would make with Jamon, Saffold and Evans, based on the limited film I have seen on Evans and extensive film i have watched on Saffold and Jamon.

Evans:
Great push in run game
Great ability to lock onto blocks with hands.
Very slow feet in run game
Decent pass pro Technique but too slow to play Tackle

Jamon:
Great push in run game
Below average abilty to lock onto blocks with hands.
Very Quick feet in run game
Below average pass pro Technique to play Tackle

Saffold:
Great Push in run game
Average ability to lock onto blocks with hands
Above average quickness in run game
Good Angles
Above average pass pro Technique to play tackle

Summary:
Evans won't make it at tackle but could be an excellent guard, due to good power and ability to lock onto defenders.

I hope to see him start at RG with Blythe kicking inside to center. Not sure Allen can make it at center.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Duck that's good tape for an OL! My favorite was the pancake against UCLA.

Our FO killed this draft!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
When I saw the highlights from the draft I immediately thought no way this guy plays tackle early in his career. His technique is very sound and allows him to square up the defender. He's going to have trouble with the speed rush due to agility and potentially conditioning.

Feel much safer with him at a guard spot where he can be an above average player in year 2.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I saw the highlights from the draft I immediately thought no way this guy plays tackle early in his career. His technique is very sound and allows him to square up the defender. He's going to have trouble with the speed rush due to agility and potentially conditioning.

Feel much safer with him at a guard spot where he can be an above average player in year 2.

Agree. He can play tackle, in the sense that if somebody needs to take a couple of plays off to get a wrap redone or something he can cover for them. If there is a longer issue, likely Noteboom moves over. I strongly suspect he is a long term guard. Which is fine, since what I wanted from OL in this draft is a guy who could cover tackle in an emergency in year one, and replace Blythe or Noteboom at guard in 2020

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My 2 cents worth

A 6-4 312 lbs with close to 35-inch arms! Bobby Evans has been blessed with some serious OT length arms certainly not OG arm length material. It's obvious to me that Kromer will consider BE an active game day Swing OT after Whitworth retires. BE appears to be a perfect candidate to be groomed as the main back up to the LT post behind Noteboom in 2020 season. BE has zero starting experience @ OG with the Oklahoma Sooners.

I see no evidence from all that I can find why must we be thinking BE is automatic OG material? I see no real need to consider BE an OG prospect when Kromer already has Noteboom & Blythe as OG starters, backed up by Swing OG Jamil Demby 6-5 321lbs, OG/OC Aaron Neary 6-4/300 (both 2nd-year players). That four roster OL'ers tied up @ the two OG posts. McVay has mentioned Demby a lot this offseason. I took it as a clue to not to write off Jamil Demby so fast.

I see this 3rd round selection by Snead as his new reserve swing OT from this point on. Kromer is sure to give BE plenty of reps @ OG in TC & preseason but Kromer has time to groom this prospect into the needed Swing OT candidate.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Boni... it’s his feet. I could be wrong, but it seems like that to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see no evidence from all that I can find why must we be thinking BE is automatic OG material?
Just Kromer saying he can play both Guard spots. That's the only evidence we have :)

jjab360

Legend
As someone who also enjoys debate, let me assure you no one was looking to be offended. I simply asked the poster, “Why?”. Why add that riccochet shot to female athletes? The poster clarified their perspective did not reflect their use of the “play like a girl” misnomer so why even add gender to their statement of unathleticism in the first place? “Unathletic 8 year old” would’ve easily driven the point home just as well.

The more we continue to allow normalization of this speech the more our unintended biases continue to perpetuate. Let’s start by removing this type of language in our every day speech to say “the buck stops here” with these false narratives. No one is offended, I am just encouraging my fellow Rams brethren to occasionally pause and be accountable for their words. This is how a society continues to grow — not by doing/saying the same things over and over again and then proclaiming wild offense whenever someone calls you out on it.

Anyways, that’s my final word on it. Not attacking either party just simply asking you to stop and think of the weight of the words you choose.

Back to scheduled programming...
Appreciate the thought in theory, but if everyone's too afraid to speak freely in fear of hurting someone's feelings how can anyone ever have a real conversation?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
i dont know

NE took a Euro O’Lineman from Wisconsin
Before The Rams drafted there. From a college stand point The Rams got the better of the 2.
It looked like Kromer was excited about the offense of lineman they got this draft.

Time will tell , but glad the offensive line was addressed & that The Kromers are on The Rams coaching staff.Dickerson is an underrated coach as well.Keeps getting experience and is actually the offensive lines coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I know it's concerning but those long arms help make up some of it. It's obvious that the versatility to play four OL positions also helps. Good back up Swing OT's are rare.

Kromer must feel he can coach up those feet for them to take him so early. Plus the inside that they had on him says a lot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/meet-bobby-evans-three-things-to-know-about-the-rams-rookie-ol

Meet Bobby Evans: Three things to know about the Rams rookie OL

Evans declared for the 2019 NFL Draft as a redshirt junior, after four years on campus in Norman, Oklahoma. With three seasons protecting valuable signal-callers across the offensive line under his belt, Evans should provide some valuable depth to the Rams offensive front and gain valuable experience playing behind left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who is set to wrap up his three-year deal with the close of the 2019 campaign.

Here are three things to know about Evans:

1. VERSATILITY

Evans did not miss a game in three seasons at OU, starting at both right and left tackle on the Sooner offense. He earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors in 26 games over two seasons at right tackle, before a switch to left tackle ahead of his final season on campus, where he earned a Second-Team All-Big 12 nod.

Evans’ experience playing across the O-line could pay off in his professional career as a member of offensive line coach/run game coordinator Aaron Kromer’s unit.

“Any time a guy can play two positions like that, starting right and going to the left, you got to love his versatility and his athleticism that he’s showing,” Kromer said following the third-round selection.

2. BIG-TIME QB EXPERIENCE

Quarterback Jared Goff is getting a young offensive lineman that has some big experience protecting high-profile quarterbacks in Evans.

The 6-foot-5, 301-pound tackle lined up in front of quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray during his time as a starter at OU. Mayfield and Murray each won the Heisman Trophy and were drafted No. 1 overall following the 2017 and 2018 seasons, respectively.

Evans attended Allen High School with Murray, where he protected the future Arizona Cardinal’s blindside as a left tackle.

3. ATHLETIC BACKGROUND

Evans’ father, Bobby Joe Evans, was the 1994-95 Texas Gatorade High School Player of the Year in basketball and lettered as a member of the OU basketball team.

The younger Evans spent two seasons as a tight end at Allen HS, before moving to the offensive line.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Didn't see him getting beat at LT and he was on his own, now, Murray was able to step up in the pocket and the threat of Murray taking off could have aided, however, Evans does not give up sacks and was very good at RT in 2017.

Notepad: OU right tackle Bobby Evans turned heads against Texas
59e69e9dcc5e4.image.jpg

Oklahoma right tackle Bobby Evans is beginning to turn heads in his redshirt sophomore season. OU coach Lincoln Riley said he was the Sooners' best offensive lineman in last week's game against Texas. (Kyle Phillips / The Transcript)

NORMAN — Orlando Brown is usually the best offensive linemen when taking the field. Oklahoma’s left tackle, pinned high on NFL draft boards, didn’t own that title Saturday, though.

Redshirt sophomore Bobby Evans did.

“Played really well,” OU coach Lincoln Riley said. “He was our top o-lineman from that game.”

Evans has continually improved since starting 12 games last season, when he allowed just two sacks in 594 snaps.

Those who project football’s future pros have noticed. A week ago Evans was the Big 12’s only player to make the Pro Football Focus national team of the week.

Brown has noticed, too.

“I think Bobby’s kind of took a two-year leap compared from last year to this year. He’s been really consistent. He’s finishing blocks. He’s working hard, and on top of that, he’s a great athlete,” Brown said. “His fundamentals are coming in and gelling well. With his athleticism, he’s coming in and able to dominate on Saturdays.”

Some of that athleticism comes from his father of the same name. Bobby Joe Evans was a Texas high school basketball star in the mid-90’s and lettered at OU from 1996-98.

https://www.normantranscript.com/sp...cle_6acda0cb-d24e-5e84-a649-ea81adaab0ac.html

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I know it's concerning but those long arms help make up some of it. It's obvious that the versatility to play four OL positions also helps. Good back up Swing OT's are rare.

Kromer must feel he can coach up those feet for them to take him so early. Plus the inside that they had on him says a lot.

Was wondering if you saw his YouTube video from this post ?? It shows his skill set.

— I see what Kromer really likes, especially Zach !!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Did list as one of his Weaknesses....Damn you @Mackeyser

Weaknesses
  • Shorter than average at the tackle spot
  • Hip tightness restricts depth of kick slides
  • Below-average quickness in race versus edge rushers
  • Shows a tendency to lunge when beaten
  • Lacks proper hip bend to drop pad level and win with leverage
  • Could struggle in generating drive movement if moved inside to guard
  • Stiff-kneed upper-body mauler on down blocks
  • Narrow drive base causes him to fall off-center from the block
  • Faces range limitations as move blocker
  • Plodding with heavy feet out in space
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bobby-evans?id=32194556-4123-7310-44e4-5ca5223f4b63

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
In case you didn't know - boys and girls are NOT the same.
Learn it, know it, live it.
If the dude runs like a girl, then he runs like a girl. (But he doesn't).

So boys run different to girls? Is that your point? For f@ck sake... Dude, when was the last time you cried? I get the feeling you need a hug