Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I just realized that Detroit is probably using the Rams top 5 pick on a QB, will Goff be available?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lamar Jackson, Garapollo, Brady... All free agents. Goff is likely to be cut.

Stafford will be back. Hopefully we will laugh at this thread looking back.

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
And he will continue to have health problems playing behind a crap line.

Ellard80

Legend
im starting to wonder if with our 3rd string tackle being out if Stafford was like....

"actually fuck it im good for the rest of the game"

EDIT: I think it was a team decision after they were down 24-14. McVay said stafford felt pretty good after blue tent check in but that they were being precautious.

Last edited:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Get through this year with cheap qb signings. Nothing to play for anyway. When the season is over, go all in for Jimmy G.
Surely McVey has some 9r connections he can work, right?!?!?? :zany1:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Well, in defense of my buddy @Mackeyser...

Sounds like talk of Stafford retirement has been upgraded to an actual "rumor."

Yesterday when I googled the words "Stafford retirement", all that came up was "The Stafford Retirement Community" in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Today however, the same google search pops up links to a discussion about the topic between Ian Rapaport and Pat McAfee.

So (unfortunately) yes, NFL "insiders" are now at least speculating about it. FWIW, Rapaport said his best guess was that Stafford would be back in 2023.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just realized that Detroit is probably using the Rams top 5 pick on a QB, will Goff be available?
Not to tun this into a Goff thread but...

It will be interesting for sure. Do they go that route or build the trenches? Goff is at minimum a serviceable QB if given time.

Do they instead bank on getting a QB in '24 while giving Goff another shot?

If I were them, I'd try to draft a QB that has upside to sit behind Goff for another year.

I admit to not knowing much about their roster but I just don't think Goff is their biggest problem. Still I think they need to draft a QB early. They can do that and still be potentially in the running for someone like the USC QB.

As for the Rams, I think they absolutely need to dig deep and look for a potential Matty replacement. I don't think he'll retire but it would be wise to groom his replacement.

I just don't buy into the list of FA candidates.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Could McVay fix Darnold? Have not watched him play much except when he beat us in 2020. So not sure what the root cause is to his failures. Seems big & athletic...I assume decision making is an issue. Might be able to fix that. I guess health seems to be a problem as well. That also might tie into poor decisions.
I'd rather have Corral if they're gonna talk to the Panthers. He's been on IR. Loved him coming out last year and still think he's got the right stuff. His offense in college wasn't pro style but they ran some really cool shit that required quick decision making, layered option type shit with more than two choices. McVay could make something out of him and he's like Stafford, he's tough and a big time competitor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yo @jrry32 . Who you looking at?
In the draft? Haven't started. But we have no first round pick. So while we could take a shot on someone on Day 2, it's purely a shot in the dark. If you're asking about guys currently in the NFL, I'd take a shot on some reclamation project. I didn't even mention Goff because of how bad the divorce was. But I guess you never know if they might be willing to let bygones be bygones. Outside of him (in no order):
Baker Mayfield
Jameis Winston
Jimmy Garoppolo
Taylor Heinicke
Gardner Minshew
Zach Wilson (if NYJ gives up on him)
Mac Jones (if NE gives up on him)
Sam Howell (if Washington is willing to deal him)

Frankly, our options aren't good. My opinion is that Baker has the most upside of the group of guys who are definitely available.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
LINK: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...A14nMIy?cvid=4dd82e8c9cec449983e7676aba2304f6

Rams Retirement Rumor: Could QB Matthew Stafford Quit the NFL?​

Story by Connor Zimmerlee • 3h ago
React2 Comments|

1669080988880.png

As the Rams continue to struggle, the future of Matthew Stafford's career remains uncertain.
Rams Retirement Rumor: Could QB Matthew Stafford Quit the NFL?
Rams Retirement Rumor: Could QB Matthew Stafford Quit the NFL?© Provided by Ram Digest on FanNation

Prior to his being traded to the Los Angeles Rams, quarterback Matthew Stafford was missing a piece of hardware - a Super Bowl trophy. In his first year as a Ram he grabbed the prize, helping the team to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
Now, though, it's one year later and Los Angeles has struggled mightily. A 27-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints was the Rams' fourth loss in a row and raises questions about the future of Stafford's career.
On Monday, NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport discussed what lies ahead for Stafford and the Rams on Pat McAfee's show.
“I don’t know what his decision is going to be,” Rapoport said. “I think he will be back, but I don’t know. I think the health of the team overall goes into it ...''

Stafford turns 35 in February of 2023, and for a quarterback who has been as beat up as he has over the years there is a lot of mileage on his body. Pair that with a team that may be seeing its window slam shut in real time, and yes, the idea of retirement is at least worthy of speculation.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Seems that there is probably a little fire to go with all of this smoke.

oldnotdead

Legend
The reason Baker is a bust is that he can't read defenses. Murray can't either but with his guaranteed contract he doesn't ever have to learn. Both Kyler and Baker are all they will be right now.

Jimmy G isn't a fit for McVay's offense anymore than Goff was. Goff is fine in a more conventional style offense which he has in Detroit. They look like a possible wildcard team this year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It will be interesting for sure. Do they go that route or build the trenches? Goff is at minimum a serviceable QB if given time.
The part in bold is the problem. Our O line won't give any QB time.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The reason Baker is a bust is that he can't read defenses. Murray can't either but with his guaranteed contract he doesn't ever have to learn. Both Kyler and Baker are all they will be right now.

Jimmy G isn't a fit for McVay's offense anymore than Goff was. Goff is fine in a more conventional style offense which he has in Detroit. They look like a possible wildcard team this year.
100% correct on Mayfield which is why I wouldn't want him. He's a bum. Would be interesting, not in a good way for me, to see which way we'd go if Stafford walked away, but I feel this talk is premature and he'll be back next year.