Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I wouldn’t blame him at all if he retires, but you have two options if he does. Blow it up and trade your big pieces for whatever pics you can get, or trade for a disgruntled QB again if one is available.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm getting tired of constant retirement verbiage. Donald last year, McVay to the booth and the beat goes on. From a health perspective I can understand it, but Brandon Cooks had a few more and he's playing at a high level now.

My recommendation would be to shut him down this year because the offensive line is a mess and it doesn't matter what the Rams do, they lose a guy every game. Perkins really can't throw well and teams will figure out that out and Wolford can't last more than a few quarters anyway.

If he does retire, you might see a total reboot and that includes Head Coach as maybe McVay rides off into the sunset for a while. Who knows, but as great as last season was, this season has been an epic fail in so many areas IMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Stafford did retire, I wouldn't be surprised if McVay brought in Baker Mayfield. He reportedly loved him coming out of Oklahoma.
Even if Stafford doesnt, Mayfield will be an UFA. Wonder if he would take a low base/high incentive deal while "re-shaping" his career?
One thing is for sure, they cant go in to 2023 with the QB stable they currently have

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Stafford did retire, I wouldn't be surprised if McVay brought in Baker Mayfield. He reportedly loved him coming out of Oklahoma.
I do recall McVay conversing with Mayfield during the combine and saying very positive things to him. However, I don't know if that has changed recently. I'm starting to think McVay likes short people on offense with the RB's all being on the short lighter side so I would like to see a bigger QB.

Again, not sure what's going on as I'm sure there is going to be information of the Rams Refreshment Coordinator (a.k.a. Water boy) retiring soon too, but as long as this season has been I imagine the offseason will also be long and could be tumultuous as well.

oldnotdead

Legend
If Penix enters the draft, it should be sell the farm time for Snead. The kid can make every throw in McVay's offense and then some. He's a pocket passer like Herbert and can play as a rookie. I'm tired of retreads. Stafford will probably play 2 more years as I've said before. HIs contract is structured so that the Rams have an out in 2026 but could handle it if he retires in 2025.

AD probably retires in 2024 or 2025 at the latest. So Ram fans need to get used to this team looking completely different in 2025. But the transition will probably start in 2024 and the Rams know it.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Stafford retires and the Rams acquire Aaron Rodgers the same day

It could happen, you doubting bastids.... ~ @OldSchool
Blue Font or no...

Animated GIF

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno Mac. Even if Matty does retire, the idea that he talked to Stan and Tony after the game IN THE LOCKER ROOM about retirement is a huge stretch. You really think they would be having that kind of discussion in the locker room?

I could see if either party called for a meeting but...

This seems like the epitome of speculation based on nothing but a hunch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams still evaluating Matthew Stafford; QB not in concussion protocol​

NEW ORLEANS -- Quarterback Matthew Stafford was evaluated for a concussion during the Los Angeles Rams' 27-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints but is not in the concussion protocol, a team spokesperson said Sunday.

A determination of Stafford's status will be made Monday or Tuesday after he goes through further tests and procedures.

Stafford, who had cleared the concussion protocol Friday after missing the Rams' Week 10 game, went to the locker room in the third quarter. It was later announced that Stafford was being evaluated for a concussion.
Rams coach Sean McVay said after the game that he didn't know if Stafford was in the protocol or if he had been diagnosed with a concussion.

"I've got to talk to the doctors," McVay said. "Obviously we need to make a smart decision for Matthew and see where we're at with that.
"... I know how he was feeling. He communicated that, and then we made the decision that that was going to be in his best interest to not have him continue to play. So he wants to be out there continuing to battle with his guys, but I'll talk to [the medical staff] and then we'll make a decision that's best for Matthew."

On Stafford's final play Sunday, he was sacked for a 9-yard loss. It was the Saints' first sack of the game.

Stafford entered the concussion protocol Nov. 8 after the team's medical staff determined that it was the "appropriate" move for the quarterback following the Rams' Week 9 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. McVay said he didn't have any indication during the game that Stafford was dealing with any concussion symptoms.

Stafford was replaced Sunday by quarterback Bryce Perkins, who completed 5 of 10 passes for 64 yards and ran for 39 yards on five carries. Backup quarterback John Wolford, who had started the Rams' Week 10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, was inactive with a neck injury.

The loss was the Rams' fourth straight, dropping them to 3-7 on the season.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I would be *highly* surprised if 9 retired. However, I wouldn’t mind him using the possibility as leverage to improve the o line.

Shutting him down is the right move. Give his elbow a little rest too (even though his arm seems perfectly fine. That feels like such an overdone preseason storyline at this point. He’s still got a cannon).