Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
a signing bonus has nothing to do with medical retirement - its kind of the opposite.

But let's hope it's not an issue...
My point is about trying to get that money back.
Signing bonus is his.
Share an example of a signing bonus given back due to retirement?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are there cap hits if a player just up and quits?

If so there must be some major considerations.

Especially if a player is concerned for the marbles in their head.
If a player retires the future guaranteed money is washed away. Singing bonus is another issue. If Stafford is medially cleared but chooses not to play, the Rams can most certainly look to recoup that money and the CBA allows it

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Google is your friend
Look up "The Barry Sanders Rule"
He had to pay back signing bonus, and its been a rule ever since.

Expecting the "Yeah, but.." in 3...2....1........

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If a player retires the future guaranteed money is washed away. Singing bonus is another issue. If Stafford is medially cleared but chooses not to play, the Rams can most certainly look to recoup that money and the CBA allows it
Just read up.. signing bonus $ on future cap can be recouped.

Thanks for setting me straight.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is about trying to get that money back.
Signing bonus is his.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714308-calvin-johnson-reportedly-paid-lions-1-million-of-signing-bonus-after-retiring

There are tons of examples of it this isn't something new as the first one I cited was from 7 years ago. The team is entitled to the money back but they have to ask the player for it and if the player doesn't pay it back they file for it to be returned and it goes to court.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
It will be interesting to see what would happen.

10 games into a five year $160,000,000 million contract of which this year is guaranteed for $63,000,000 sounds complicated if there are concerns for his long term health.

The Rams are building a history of leaning into big contracts as the players performance fizzle quickly.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714308-calvin-johnson-reportedly-paid-lions-1-million-of-signing-bonus-after-retiring

There are tons of examples of it this isn't something new as the first one I cited was from 7 years ago. The team is entitled to the money back but they have to ask the player for it and if the player doesn't pay it back they file for it to be returned and it goes to court.

Thanks!
Not sure how I missed that.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
She mentioned on her podcast earlier this season that she wants him to retire and brings it up all the time, and when the Tua thing happened, she said she would straight up leave Matthew if he had a brain injury and pushed to continue playing.

I legit think he's done. Definitely for this season but possibly career.
As do I. We saw the whole Tom Brady/Giselle fall out. I highly doubt Stafford is that selfish and continues playing and allows his family life to fall apart like that. What does he have to prove? Nothing.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If Stafford *did* retire after the season?
It's a "blow it all up" situation where you see what you can get for anybody and everybody.
Best case in the "If Scenario" is maybe he would welcome a move to a more stable O.L situation.
Possibly a trade could be worked out to build the O.L through FA and Picks.

Move up next year for Caleb Williams dude has it all

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I dunno. I could see him wanting to go to Pittsburgh, but nowhere else and he may be ready to be done and prefer to walk away too early than too late.

I really don’t have a feel for ADs mindset. I think Stafford’s is a whole lot clearer.

I agree that Pittsburgh could be Donald's final NFL team, but I also believe that Stafford & Donald stick with the Rams until after the 2023 season when our Dead Money for these two becomes a bit more manageable. I don't see either one of them hanging us out to dry. jmo.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
The whisper was " Matt, you OK? That was a tough hit. We can't have that son. You sit until we get the offense sorted. Next year will be great! We promise. Nice td pass to Atwell, thing of beauty. Go get better, we got you!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Saw on Twitter he was talking with them.

Also, his wife was loudly calling for his retirement after his first concussion
Are you that desperate to post a “scoop” that you’re willing to start a thread with this dearth of evidence?

Apparently so.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm surprised he played at all after that vicious whiplash of his head into the ground early in the game.

he's a rich man, he won't keep playing if the oline doesn't get fixed in the offseason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Stafford did retire, I wouldn't be surprised if McVay brought in Baker Mayfield. He reportedly loved him coming out of Oklahoma.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I didn’t see the game, but did McVay still play 11 personnel today? Even though the Rams don’t have the people to run it now.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Do we really think this is Stafford’s first time talking to Kronke and Pastoors? Don’t we think they might have been concerned about him and were just checking on him? Over reacting much?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All we know is that the Lions hit the jackpot. They're looking at a top 3 pick from the Rams.

So they used this year's 1st from the Rams to get Jameson Williams and now are sitting pretty to get their qb of the future if that's the way they want to go.

And they have Brad Holmes to make sure they pick great players. I'm guessing they feel pretty happy with the trade.

The Rams won the superbowl so they fell pretty happy about the trade as well.