Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking like Rams might have to settle for 4-5th best C at 57.

Think they’ll do that? I dunno.

If a gem falls to them at 57 at another position I’m sure they’ll pounce.
The Rams don't reach very often so I'd say no. If they're hellbent on a center with the first pick I'd expect they move down a bit, get an additional pick, and then take whatever center they prefer of who's left.

Also after reading the article on the Athletic that talks about Creed's intellect and grasp of scheme I have to think the Rams like him. They love the smart ones.

MauiRam

Rookie
I am hoping that Tremayne Anchrum Jr. gets an opportunity. He's got the right body, purportedly has an ultra quick first step and great football IQ.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You'd think with Allens wrestling background he'd be good at leverage--low man wins football

You’d think. But he looked like he wasn’t very good at using leverage. Where he really struggled was blocking in space. I guess take downs in wrestling weren’t his strong suit. I’m sure he isn’t the first Olineman with a wrestling background to struggle in the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like TA, but whoever McVay likes, that's who I like most
train

Blythe was a Kromer guy. I wonder if Allen, Demby and Noteboom were considered the same.

How else does Noteboom start at LG in the beginning of the season over Edwards who instantly improved the offensive line when Noteboom was injured in 2019?

I am very hopeful that we start to see improved evaluation of college offensive linemen and development once the players are here, with Carberry. No guarantees though huh?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Okay, I’m gonna come out of the closet here a little bit.

I’m really intrigued with this Anchrum kid and can’t help pulling for him at Center.

It could avoid a Corbett move and wouldn’t cost either a pick or a dollar of cap cost.

I’m thinking that Anchrum was a 7th round steal and we don’t yet know which starting position he’s gonna claim.

If he’s not the starting C this year then I think he takes Edwards’ place at LG while Edwards takes the traded Hav’s place at RT next year.

There, I said it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those were my same thoughts when the Rams signed often injured UFA center John Sullivan
Nowhere near the same.

1617308563301.png

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead is presently sitting well in the OL unit, however, one year from now this OL will be in a completely different situation. Your thoughts that the Rams are going to find good OL'ers to replace basically 2 starters with the #209th & #252nd selections on Saturday late afternoon May 1st is really hard for me to believe.

Can you name any Rams starting OL'ers who were drafted so late?

Then add to the fact that the Rams just made a trade for an older wore down QB & gave up a king's ransom for him & teams draft payments into the future to start him & then in turn not invest in high-quality OL'ers for his future protection?

That is a little drastic. Older I will give you, as he is 33, and I guess depending on how you answer , "compared to what?", 33 could be "older", but wore down? That I don't agree with a bit. Outside of 2019 He hasn't missed a start since 2010. His mind is sharp, his arm is a cannon. I don't think "Wore Down" applies at all.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Snead is presently sitting well in the OL unit, however, one year from now this OL will be in a completely different situation. Your thoughts that the Rams are going to find good OL'ers to replace basically 2 starters with the #209th & #252nd selections on Saturday late afternoon May 1st is really hard for me to believe.

Can you name any Rams starting OL'ers who were drafted so late?

Then add to the fact that the Rams just made a trade for an older wore down QB & gave up a king's ransom for him & teams draft payments into the future to start him & then in turn not invest in high-quality OL'ers for his future protection?
McVay has paid zero draft capital in starters Whitworth, Corbett, Havenstein, Blythe, Sullivan, Saffold, Brown, Robinson, he either inherited these players or picked them up as castoffs or paid them as free agents from other teams.

And when they HAVE drafted players they've gotten only so-so results out of them with only one DRAFTED starter in Edwards and another quality lineman in Evans.
So 1 and 1/2 starters TOTAL.

The rest have been a mixed bag.

Yet, our line has been ranked among the best in the league excepting 1 year.

They've had too many clunkers with Allen, Noteboom (?), (yet to be determine but definitely not a Guard). Anchrum - maybe.

They've had better luck picking up other teams cast offs and FAs in finding starters then they have really drafting starters on their own.

What would propel them to want to start spending draft capital on something they've not been that good at when there are other glaring needs on the team early in the draft and they could pick up somebody else's cut to develop?

As GOOD as the scouting department has been in finding defensive backs they have been just as BAD in finding starting offensive lineman.

If the method of building an offensive line is not broken then why fix it with early draft picks?

But we'll see. (y)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'll do it. I played Left Tackle in highschool. I'll step up for the team and play center. Put me in coach McVay!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Looking like Rams might have to settle for 4-5th best C at 57.
Anything is possible, but that would be extremely unusual.

Here are the number of centers taken in the first 57 picks in the last 10 years:

2011: 3
2012: 1
2013: 1
2014: 1
2015: 1
2016: 2
2017: 0
2018: 3
2019: 3
2020: 1

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That was true then. Are you saying that that is something you favor in today's NFL?

Over 2 decades ago the NFL world has changed since then. Today's college OL'ers due to today's type of college offenses do not develop college Ol'ers to play in the NFL. There are a few exceptions but they are rare. I am sure I might come up with 2 to 3 if I had time.
Not really. OL are often later round picks outside of maybe your LT.

After all how many G's or C's go in the early rounds?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That was true then. Are you saying that that is something you favor in today's NFL?

Over 2 decades ago the NFL world has changed since then. Today's college OL'ers due to today's type of college offenses do not develop college Ol'ers to play in the NFL. There are a few exceptions but they are rare. I am sure I might come up with 2 to 3 if I had time.
Well, the great Corey Linsley, who everyone here was so desperate for, was the 161st pick in the draft.

Jason Kelce, one of the best C's in the league the last 8 yrs, was a 6th round pick, 191.

And somehow the Bucs won the super bowl with Ryan Jenson at C, who was the 203rd pick in the draft.

Oh, and the Chiefs won a SB with Austin Reiter starting 16 games at C... He was picked 222nd

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
They've had better luck picking up other teams cast offs and FAs in finding starters then they have really drafting starters on their own.
When was the last time the Rams organization picked an above-average NFL caliber center?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not really. OL are often later round picks outside of maybe your LT.

After all how many G's or C's go in the early rounds?
Yes we will disagree here on what the NCAA is turning out as Ol'ers & how prepared they are for the NFL. Best to utilize your highest draft value assets elsewhere than the OL IMO.

They may be drafted as lT but they might never start in that position.

2020 has 17 Ol'ers go in the first 3 rounds. I guess my point is drafting OL'er with premium picks is one serious gamble. That may never pay dividends on the field before that first 4 yr contract is done.

We can all do some serious cherry-picking on some excellent OL'ers & @ what round they entered the NFL to make a point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay has paid zero draft capital in starters Whitworth, Corbett, Havenstein, Blythe, Sullivan, Saffold, Brown, Robinson, he either inherited these players or picked them up as castoffs or paid them as free agents from other teams.

And when they HAVE drafted players they've gotten only so-so results out of them with only one DRAFTED starter in Edwards and another quality lineman in Evans.
So 1 and 1/2 starters TOTAL.

The rest have been a mixed bag.

Yet, our line has been ranked among the best in the league excepting 1 year.

They've had too many clunkers with Allen, Noteboom (?), (yet to be determine but definitely not a Guard). Anchrum - maybe.

What would propel them to want to start spending draft capital on something they've not been that good at when there are other glaring needs on the team early in the draft and they could pick up somebody else's cut to develop?

As GOOD as the scouting department has been in finding defensive backs they have been just as BAD in finding starting offensive lineman.

If the method of building an offensive line is not broken then why fix it with early draft picks?

But we'll see. (y)
You will not get any argument out of me on what has happened since 2017 involving the OL.

I also do not have any issues with the Rams using the 6th or the 7th round picks (3rd day) on OL'ers with the hope to hit on one of them either however I would have hoped that one very good OL prospect would have been selected on day two.

You know my position, I prefer drafting defense with your most valuable draft selections. You get quicker & usually better dividends in return.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes we will disagree here on what the NCAA is turning out as Ol'ers & how prepared they are for the NFL. Best to utilize your highest draft value assets elsewhere than the OL IMO.

They may be drafted as lT but they might never start in that position.

2020 has 17 Ol'ers go in the first 3 rounds. I guess my point is drafting OL'er with premium picks is one serious gamble. That may never pay dividends on the field before that first 4 yr contract is done.

We can all do some serious cherry-picking on some excellent OL'ers & @ what round they entered the NFL to make a point.
Not alot of cherry picking needed when the last two SB champs had Centers picked in the 200's. And and the last four SB participants all had late round centers.

Might even tell you top caliber teams do not invest heavily in that particular position. Now Chiefs going with Blythe, which further proves that point.