Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's certainly room for the Rams to fuck this up. But we don't know how these guys have looked in practice. Also when you're replacing a guy whose floor is as low as that of Blythe you have a lot of options that will upgrade you.

I just think there's a bit too much hand wringing with Blythe. Now that he's set the current center market maybe they bring in that depth type vet from among those other JAG options. But if not, well, it's not hard to understand why.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i heard that brian allen is up to 3hundred 15 lbs if so i bet he will be our starting center
Stick me on his back and our starting center is now almost 500 pounds. BULL RUSH THAT IF YOU DARE

Psycho_X

Legend
i heard that brian allen is up to 3hundred 15 lbs if so i bet he will be our starting center

Nice, hopefully he's been really working on his overall strength and that's not just fat lol. But at this point I would agree that Rams are considering Allen an option. I'm sure we'll draft one and go into camp in a 3 or 4 way competition for it. If Allen put in the time and effort this offseason maybe he can surprise us all. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut too. Depends on how pieces fall in the draft I'm sure.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think as usual the truth is in the middle here. Would have been nice to have Blythe at backup pay but when a guy is a FA there's always some team who thinks they can do better with him. But league need doesn't change the fact of who Blythe is. He's a backup type dude who was routinely exposed at both OG and C and it was high time to move on.

Re: the replacement Snead commented on how you don't want to go with an inexperienced guy due to the calls and importance of the position. But I think that was smoke screen. Because the change at QB lessens the need of the pivot making the calls. Whoever it is will have a vet overlooking what he's calling.

If that is true then a rookie is in play, particularly one who they feel has enough intellect to coach up. If that is not true then they will go with someone on our roster. And maybe it's a mix of the two, at least that's what it seems like right now. That they draft one and let that draftee compete with Anchrum, Corbs, etc.

By week six or so we should have Blythe and his inability to control his assignment firmly in our rearview. IMO.

It's impossible to predict the draft but of course we all do it. All it takes is one team to love a guy and take him to upset expectations. But that said to my eye the Bama kid should go off the board first. I'm thinking late first round. He has the physicality I want in the middle. And I would think that gives him the best chance to be the first center chosen. But it wouldn't surprise me to see someone take Creed.

As to us sitting at 57 with our dick in our hand you are assuming that the Rams only like the centers you like. Also there are going to be other positions of need there who are probably better prospects than Humphrey. IMO. Would you be upset if they finally solve ILB with a stud like Jamin Davis? I would be too busy doing backflips.

Lastly they may have planned all along to go with Anchrum or Corbs. If that's the case then going with a Myers, Menet, or Jackson midrounds is fine and should round out a nice competition.

Agreed with most of it, but honestly, Myers goes first out of all of the centers (if it were my choice), then Humphrey, then Dickerson - although Dickerson would go first if he didn't have the ACL.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I heard that brian Allen is up to 3hundred 15 lbs if so I bet he will be our starting center
In a year, you can gain 15 pounds of muscle with the optimal diet and workout program -- if Brian Allen puts the time in and effort

dang

Legend
McVay won’t jeopardize the health of Stafford by not having a plan A and plan B for each of the OL positions. I don’t see a rookie starting the season at Center but I do hope they draft a solid future starter who can be coached up for next year. As such there will be a vet or 2 that will be on the roster who will do better than Blythe.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 44666
Well as you can see, we wouldn't have wasted anywhere near what you are talking about money wise which is why I'm saying they obviously don't care to address the situation as that is as low of a contract you'll ever see for someone that could have spot started. I was and am happy they didn't resign him but admit I'm nervous about their plan since we are wandering into the unknown at that spot with a new QB we just traded a boatload of picks for. I might also add for what the Chiefs paid him, I actually wouldn't have been mad to keep him as insurance. I'm sure the plan will be revealed during the draft. I just hope it works but it's definitely a risk or leap of faith the Rams are taking. Gonna make the draft that much more interesting.

considering the rams paid him $3.9m last season this contract shows the level of performance he played in 2020, ie - horribly whenever he was needed to block a rusher for any length of time.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
considering the rams paid him $3.9m last season this contract shows the level of performance he played in 2020, ie - horribly whenever he was needed to block a rusher for any length of time.

It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to get paid near that amount or that he was even a priority based on him lasting as long as he did in FA. We made it to the playoffs with him and Akers had a good year so he did something right at times. He was definitely more bad than good. His contract was indicative of a backup that can spot start which is what he is.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Whoever this mystery C may be. I believe he will succeed under Stafford. They are going to be study buddies. Its a new beginning, again...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
At this point I think the only logical strategy that explains Rams actions regarding C is that they are REALLY happy with one or more of the guys already on the roster.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Rams pushed all and this time Iran all their chips in they cannot afford to half ass any positions but offensive line and defensive lines are where teams are built to win or lose.
I said it yesterday I will say it again can't accquire an older qb and then throw shit up against the wall and hope it sticks. That's not mcvays style.

We know there are some positions that are a question marks but those will be engulfed by the talent around them.

We can't go into this season with to many "ifs" "buts" at some positions it's fine noth the o-line though. To much to lose.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Rams pushed all and this time Iran all their chips in they cannot afford to half ass any positions but offensive line and defensive lines are where teams are built to win or lose.
I said it yesterday I will say it again can't accquire an older qb and then throw shit up against the wall and hope it sticks. That's not mcvays style.

We know there are some positions that are a question marks but those will be engulfed by the talent around them.

We can't go into this season with to many "ifs" "buts" at some positions it's fine noth the o-line though. To much to lose.
I get that you are really not happy but that’s about all I understand from the above. The Iran reference is particularly disturbing.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These guys are still available....do the Rams kick the tires on any of them?

Top available 2021 free-agent offensive line players remaining
1) Russell Okung, Carolina Panthers
2) Alejandro Villanueva, Pittsburgh Steelers
3) Kelechi Osemele, Kansas City Chiefs
4) Eric Fisher, Kansas City Chiefs
5) Mitchell Schwartz, Kansas City Chiefs
6) Austin Reiter, Kansas City Chiefs
7) Dennis Kelly, Tennessee Titans
8) Trai Turner, Los Angeles Chargers
9) D.J. Fluker, Baltimore Ravens

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I get that you are really not happy but that’s about all I understand from the above. The Iran reference is particularly disturbing.

Supposed to be "I mean" hope that clears it up. Wouldn't want to do something crazy.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Lamp I think is still available. Groy is I believe (we offer sheeted him like 2 years ago right?) There are some more interior guys to but don't know how much they like them. Sportrac breaks it down nicely. I'd definitely take a flier on Fischer.
I also don't see Ayers that opted out last year after being cut like Warford.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Other than Reiter (the only center), none seem like a fit or an upgrade to me.

Villanueva is a good veteran LT but with Whitworth, there’s no fit.

Schwartz is a really good RT but is coming-off a back injury. If the Rams plan to move Havenstein, he could be an option.

If the Rams were only interested in Blythe as a veteran reserve / insurance for a young Center, then Russell Bodine might be an affordable fit.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Considering the amount Blythe signed for ... the options we have ahead of us or more favorable to us than bring back Blythe...

maybe moving Corbett over and giving either Anchrum or Evans a spot at guard is an option...maybe..

obviously drafting a center in the 3rd round to compete with Shelton and Allen would be a possibility as well...

with our new O-line coach ...seeing that either of those 2 options are looked at as better options than Blythe is actually kind of interesting to me.......

I doubt we're looking to sign another vet...much maybe that's an option as well.....

adds some intrigue to our draft now that we know we'll likely have a starting spot to fill through this draft

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than Reiter (the only center), none seem like a fit or an upgrade to me.

Villanueva is a good veteran LT but with Whitworth, there’s no fit.

Schwartz is a really good RT but is coming-off a back injury. If the Rams plan to move Havenstein, he could be an option.

If the Rams were only interested in Blythe as a veteran reserve / insurance for a young Center, then Russell Bodine might be an affordable fit.
It would be weird if Blythe started for the Chiefs and Reiter started for the Rams.