Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Old school teams picked o-line as early as round two but usually in rounds 3-5. The bust rate is pretty high for 0-ine because the jump from college to the NFL is much bigger than some other positions. That is especially true at Center. Snead tends to fall into that range. Noteboom and Evans in the 3rd round and Allen in round 4 and Edwards in the 5th.

Obviously, I fall into that camp that feels 0-line starting level talent can be found outside the first round. Terron Armstead is a perfect example as a premier LT drafted in the 3rd round.

I was going through NFL teams to see where they drafted last year's starters on the O line. I got through 5 teams and stopped.....because:

Bills 2nd round, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, UDFA
Miami 6th, 1st, 1st*, 2nd* 4th* ..... *3 rookies....and they went 10-6
NEng 1st, 3rd, UDFA, 4th, 6th* ...... *rookie
Tennesse 6th, 2nd (Saffold), 4th, 3rd, 5th (1st rounder Taylor Lewan started 5 games and was injured) They went 11-5

So you don't have to draft OL high to be successful. AND.....you can start a rookie or multiple rookies and be successful (Miami)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
@PhillyRam & @Soul Surfer

It certainly looked like Snead was going to pick Cushenberry in round 3.

They really liked Elgton Jenkins but he was picked ahead of the Rams pick. They also liked Ruiz and really liked Corbett.

You don’t really know what would have happened had any of those recent players made it to the Rams picks. So you are making big assumptions about the Rams philosophy on drafting Oline. To get good starter ready players at Oline most of the time you have to pick them early. For a team possible in need of a starter that feels they are close to being a Super Bowl team, I’d say there is as good a chance they go early at center.

When Snead picked recent Offensive linemen they didn’t have a hole to fill with any of the positions. There was no urgency to land a starter.
Well they passed up the Wisconsin C several times so who knows what they would have done last and i doubt neither of us really do know.

And we know edge was a big need as they also went and picked up Hollins to try to fill that void.

dang

Legend
Demby I’ve never seen him tried at Guard for long if at all really.

I do think you might have heard it here first Jamil Demby fighting to be the backup C/G & actually having a chance to win the job ???

Biggest concern is how slow he is though.
I think this year may be the end of the line for Demby

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I was going through NFL teams to see where they drafted last year's starters on the O line. I got through 5 teams and stopped.....because:

Bills 2nd round, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, UDFA
Miami 6th, 1st, 1st*, 2nd* 4th* ..... *3 rookies....and they went 10-6
NEng 1st, 3rd, UDFA, 4th, 6th* ...... *rookie
Tennesse 6th, 2nd (Saffold), 4th, 3rd, 5th (1st rounder Taylor Lewan started 5 games and was injured) They went 11-5

So you don't have to draft OL high to be successful. AND.....you can start a rookie or multiple rookies and be successful (Miami)

Okay so I just did the playoff teams (14 @ 5 = 70)

KC : 1st Rd, 7th, 7th, UDFA, UDFA
Buffalo: 2nd Rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, UDFA
Tenn: 6th Rd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th
Cleve: 1st Rd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 1st
Pitt: UDFA, UDFA, 1st, 1st, 3rd
Baltimore: 3rd Rd, 6th, UDFA, 4th, 1st
Indy: 1st Rd, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd

Tampa: 2nd Rd., 2nd, 6th, 3rd, 1st
GBay: 4th Rd, 2nd, 5th, UDFA, 3rd
Rams: 2nd Rd., 5th, 7th, 2nd, 2nd
Seattle: 1st Rd., 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th
NOrleans: 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st
Chicago: 7th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 4th
Wash: UDFA, 6th, 6th, 1st, 3rd

So, 4 teams had no 1st rounder on the OL. 5 had at least 2 for a total of 12 first rounders and the other 9 teams had 5 first rounders.
1st round = 17
2nd round = 15
3rd round = 9
4th round = 7
5th round = 5
6th round = 5
7th round = 4
UDFA = 8

32 were taken in the first 2 rounds and 38 were taken from the 3rd round down, including 8 UDFA's.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
This actually might be a good year to add an Offensive Lineman.

It’s a hard call on the direction though ? Last year I thought was the time to draft a Center,but think The value of Cam Akers,Van Jefferson,T Lewis, & Hopkins was EXCELLENT choices.

Anchrum is all of a Sudden A RAMS FAN Favorite? Some even have him being the starting Center ? He was an excellent value find in 2020.

Austin Corbett is a FA who has never played CENTER in his CAREER? Now some have him as a starting Center.

IMO though Coleman Shelton is the backup Center unless The Rams draft a Center!!!
**** Brian Allen is & will be The Rams starting CENTER!!! I don’t see it any other way.
Options still is a FA Center,but still there is salary cap issues.Then there is continuity & a New Line as well as QB.

Whitworth(1 more) Noteboom,,Allen & Corbett are FA players.
Then there is Edwards,Havenstien & Evans.

My point is if Ram Fans like Anchrum & Brewer who are only 22 & 23 years of age it would be CRAZY to draft a Offensive Lineman other than Center.

Keep asking who The Rams keep & cut ?
The reason so many people feel any of these players could start is because they know the system and have been cross trained even if they haven't played a game at center. College systems are not as complex anymore so often the drafted lineman need a year or more learning the ropes in the NFL. A perfect example of that is Ragnow in Detroit who was drafted in the first round. He was a guard in college, played his entire first year at guard, moved to center in his third year (was good not great) and is now a pro bowl center. Teams look more for intangibles now and where they can best develop other than where they actually played on the line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well they passed up the Wisconsin C several times so who knows what they would have done last and i doubt neither of us really do know.

And we know edge was a big need as they also went and picked up Hollins to try to fill that void.

They may not have felt Biadasz was a good scheme fit.

I think they stay pretty true to their board. They may not put a high price tag on the Center position but if the best value at 57 is a center they like then I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they picked one.

However they met with more Corners and speed receivers so far. I’m guessing they will have a few corners rated higher than the centers. Just because we rate a guy like Dickerson, Myers, or Humphries high, it doesn’t mean they’d necessarily be on the Rams draft board, if they don’t think they are a good scheme fit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
With all this speculation on the OL, wouldn't it just be amazing after all this time if Allen and Demby were to return to camp and be significantly better than how we last saw them. It's been a season and a half since we've seen the injured Allen and two years when Demby was last seen by fans in camp, so it's possible progress has been made, and while few of us are counting on much from these two, ... wouldn't it be amazing ?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With all this speculation on the OL, wouldn't it just be amazing after all this time if Allen and Demby were to return to camp and be significantly better than how we last saw them. It's been a season and a half since we've seen the injured Allen and two years when Demby was last seen by fans in camp, so it's possible progress has been made, and while few of us are counting on much from these two, ... wouldn't it be amazing ?

Maybe that happens?

I have a hard time seeing C with our 2nd rounder. Rams have patience right now on this.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe that happens?

I have a hard time seeing C with our 2nd rounder. Rams have patience right now on this.
Me too....Definitely trade up into the 1st for a Center...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If your talking about McVays past history you could very well say he was lucky. As far as Demby is concerned now ? I like his development as a player.He continues to improve depth
as a Ram. He was only a practice squad guy because of the expanded roster due to pandemic.
Hey I'm pulling for all the Rams backups to do well.

I just haven't seen much out of Demby or Allen to get excited about.

Anchrum and Shelton are unknowns
Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford had thumb surgery last month - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
New Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford had thumb surgery last month

Last season, Stafford reportedly suffered a torn ligament in his right thumb
I wonder why they didn't have this done months ago.

Maybe they had to wait for the swelling to go down?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think this year may be the end of the line for Demby
Having a veteran player that is hungry to stay in The NFL that knows the system & will add to The Rams depth during the preseason is a good thing no matter what.There is also a thing called injuries, & he is a guy that McSnead can call upon if needed as well because of his knowledge and experience in the offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hey I'm pulling for all the Rams backups to do well.

I just haven't seen much out of Demby or Allen to get excited about.

Anchrum and Shelton are unknowns

I wonder why they didn't have this done months ago.

Maybe they had to wait for the swelling to go down?

Well CGI Ram says The Rams might draft a QB. I personally think this Bryce Perkins is intriguing. McSnead is always looking for that needle in a haystack.They also know value,but that is always an unknown.
Who know what that Lions New GM knows ?Just glad The Rams got an extra draft pick.They loss so many coaches. McSneads tree is growing.

Well it is hard to grasp when you look at there (Allen,Demby) body of work.2020 was a tough year for player development & that actually might have given both players an advantage.
I have never seen Austin Corbett in a Rams training camp,so it makes it harder on Fans to get a true feel for certain players.

—I will continue to say Noteboom is a solid Ram.If he is only depth The Rams are in a good position upfront.Center is an unknown & Mcvay until after 2019 ever valued the Center position.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he's trying to say that Matt Stafford had thumb surgery last month.

well then it must be tough to feel butts & see if there is a good fit.
Rookie QB’s for the most part have not been under center in college.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So we have 5 potential starters in house. Sounds good, except that these players have a total of 9 starts, all by Allen, and of those players, it's anyone's guess who starts week one.

But there's the draft, right?

Yeah, except we have the 57th pick and will their guy be there? Even then, that's a huge risk our new center will be successful in his rookie year.

They let blyth go without a fight and for next to nothing so they obviously feel they have this under control.

However, since they can't guarantee getting their guy in the draft, and without blyth who was last year's insurance for not getting their guy, they have to either feel the starter is in the building or they have a huge trade on deck. This leaves me hoping there is a trade, which I don't see happening before draft day.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well CGI Ram says The Rams might draft a QB. I personally think this Bryce Perkins is intriguing. McSnead is always looking for that needle in a haystack.They also know value,but that is always an unknown.
Who know what that Lions New GM knows ?Just glad The Rams got an extra draft pick.They loss so many coaches. McSneads tree is growing.

Well it is hard to grasp when you look at there (Allen,Demby) body of work.2020 was a tough year for player development & that actually might have given both players an advantage.
I have never seen Austin Corbett in a Rams training camp,so it makes it harder on Fans to get a true feel for certain players.

—I will continue to say Noteboom is a solid Ram.If he is only depth The Rams are in a good position upfront.Center is an unknown & Mcvay until after 2019 ever valued the Center position.

A qb in the first 3 rounds is a as big a waste as the packers taking love last year. Stafford is our guy for at least 3 years so why are we drafting a backup that may not even beat out wolford, who I really like as a backup, Much bigger needs this year

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A qb in the first 3 rounds is a as big a waste as the packers taking love last year. Stafford is our guy for at least 3 years so why are we drafting a backup that may not even beat out wolford, who I really like as a backup, Much bigger needs this year

Well said, dogg.

Don’t anyone hold your breath waiting on a QB drafted on Day 2.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Snead didn't do a great job selling anyone on Allen last month. I'd be surprised if he's the guy that they are banking on. I've been watching a lot of Stafford and even though he moves better than Goff and feels the rush, he's still susceptible to the pocket collapsing up the middle. If they don't draft one or have Anchrum and Corbett as the main competition, then I will give up hope on them ever fixing the offensive line. This is a very good draft to find a center. They should have the opportunity.

We saw a little Demby as a backup in 2019 didn't we?

I don't believe that when a player comes in looking as bad as those two looked that the chances of them becoming good NFL level players are very high. But yeah, it would be great, and make me wonder why Kromer was fired if he accomplished coaching them up to that point.

Jourdan's comment about predicting three Online men get drafted could also be based on the quality of depth on the Online. She may be thinking some of the backups have to go.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

For sure !! To me it’s all about drafting a OLB/DE
I like Perkins as a 3rd string QB. Like I said Bortles is a Mcvay guy so Woldford & Stafford make it 4 QB’s in camp.
Love was the another guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Love
This guy was in a battle last season with Perkins & Wolford. Bortles signed with Denver after McSnead signed 2 UDRFA.
The cool thing about Love is he spreads it with DJ11. That right there is an emotional connection if he was to an invite to OTA’s