Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anything is possible, but that would be extremely unusual.

Here are the number of centers taken in the first 57 picks in the last 10 years:

2011: 3
2012: 1
2013: 1
2014: 1
2015: 1
2016: 2
2017: 0
2018: 3
2019: 3
2020: 1
You forgot our last drafted STUD center, Dustin Fry in 2007. We went cheap at pick 139 and the dude didn't even play after 2007.

HOFer!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not alot of cherry picking needed when the last two SB champs had Centers picked in the 200's. And and the last four SB participants all had late round centers.

Might even tell you top caliber teams do not invest heavily in that particular position. Now Chiefs going with Blythe, which further proves that point.

Lol - yeah will never forget the Genius move by young 3rd year HC Sean Mcvay.Never addressing The offensive line with only Whitworth at 1st & not signing John Sullivan at Center until say April 6,2017 without any other Veteran Offensive Lineman after that.
At least not of ANY VALUE.
McSnead even cutting John Sullivan who was the CENTER PIECE of The Rams first playoff experience in years & the coming off A RAMS SUPERBOWL with who else playing RG ?
A UNDERSIZED Backup Center/Guard.
Meanwhile The Rams traded Les SNEADS AUBURN (lover) #2 Overall pick(ahead of AD) Greg(weed bags) Robinson to who else ? Detroit Lions.
Meanwhile Austin Blythe takes over for 3rd rd pick Jamon(LT)Brown(ped master) who was the following year with only.The Rams drafting rookies Noteboom,Allen & Demby as The Rams only backups.
btw- only having 8 O’lineman on the roster.(Allen,Noteboom

LMAO - thinking after NO Experience (Bears game) in 2018 & NO PRESEASON Experience in 2019 that both Joseph Noteboom & Brian Allen as starters. ONCE AGAIN no NFL FA players. ONLY 3 22 YEAR OLD ROOKIES David Edwards,Bobby Edwards & Chandler Brewer as there backups. OH & BTW - Jamal DEMBY who was both cut by The Rams & then Detroit and being resigned on practice squad now on The Rams 53.

NOW after all these players finally have any NFL Experience they ALL SUCK & THE RAMS need more DRAFT PICKS.

Oh yeah & some how starting RG Austin Corbett is The RAMS starting Center & a 7th rd 2020 Draft pick is his Backup ?????
I do always believe in Best Player Available in a Draft.I also think Les Snead does an excellent job of moving back & with Mcvay(better than w/ Fisher) & up the draft board.
Back -JJ,Everett, 2017

UP - Henderson & Gaines 2019

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When was the last time the Rams organization picked an above-average NFL caliber center?
Last Nevervember?

I mean, Bern Brostek was pretty good but they used a first rounder on him

Other than that?

I can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

Where we sit now, I would rather see the Rams use that 57 pick on a fast WR or a DL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You will not get any argument out of me on what has happened since 2017 involving the OL.

I also do not have any issues with the Rams using the 6th or the 7th round picks (3rd day) on OL'ers with the hope to hit on one of them either however I would have hoped that one very good OL prospect would have been selected on day two.

You know my position, I prefer drafting defense with your most valuable draft selections. You get quicker & usually better dividends in return.
I see the Rams continuing to invest in offensive lineman they find between the 4th and 7th round with the hopes of hitting on one or two.

So far they've hit on Edwards and Evans and possibly Anchrum.

This is one of the ways they're saving money.

Those players are cheaper because of where they are drafted and I was actually surprised that they re-signed Havenstein.

It is a risk to build your offensive line this way but they've been successful enough at it so it's hard to criticize.

I can only think of three mistakes they've made since McVay arrived on the offensive line.

Trying to flop Havenstein and Demby.

Trying to force Noteboom into being a Guard.

Giving up on Sullivan so quickly for Allen. I wish they'd tried to get another year out of Sullivan.

Other than those three things I think they've done an amazing job.

Especially after the Fisher/ Boudreau torture years of watching them try to build an offensive line.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see the Rams continuing to invest in offensive lineman they find between the 4th and 7th round with the hopes of hitting on one or two.

So far they've hit on Edwards and Evans and possibly Anchrum.

This is one of the ways they're saving money.

Those players are cheaper because of where they are drafted and I was actually surprised that they re-signed Havenstein.

It is a risk to build your offensive line this way but they've been successful enough at it so it's hard to criticize.

I can only think of three mistakes they've made since McVay arrived on the offensive line.

Trying to flop Havenstein and Demby.

Trying to force Noteboom into being a Guard.

Giving up on Sullivan so quickly for Allen. I wish they'd tried to get another year out of Sullivan.

Other than those three things I think they've done an amazing job.

Especially after the Fisher/ Boudreau torture years of watching them try to build an offensive line.

Demby I’ve never seen him tried at Guard for long if at all really.

I do think you might have heard it here first Jamil Demby fighting to be the backup C/G & actually having a chance to win the job ???

Biggest concern is how slow he is though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Options for Rams at center with Austin Blythe in K.C.

A need for the Los Angeles Rams this offseason shot up the priority list when unrestricted free agent Austin Blythe signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday.

Rams head coach Sean McVay had said that he would like to bring Blythe back, but every move has a price tag. Ultimately, it appears the Rams believed they have answers to the center position already on the roster, or will pursue a replacement through the draft or free agency.

Certainly, the Rams could afford Blthye’s one-year, $990,000 deal with Kansas City, which included an additional $750,000 in playing time incentives. The fact the Rams apparently were not willing to match that offer seems to indicate they were fine with Blythe moving to another team.

Now that Blythe is in Kansas City, the Rams have an important void to fill up front this offseason. They will start a new center and quarterback with Matthew Stafford taking over next season.

Here’s where the Rams sit in free agency heading into the draft in April:

Who’s in

OLB Leonard Floyd:
Four years, $64 million ($32 million guaranteed)
QB Matthew Stafford (trade): Two years, $43 million left on his current deal from Lions
CB Darious Williams: Restricted free agent received first round tender worth $4.766 million
TE Johnny Mundt: Signed a one-year deal stay with the Rams
WR DeSean Jackson: Signed a one-year, $4.5 million deal

Who’s out

S John Johnson:
Signed a three-year, $33,75 million deal ($24 million guaranteed) with the Cleveland Browns
OLB Samson Ebukam: Signed a two-year, $12 million deal ($5 million guaranteed) with the San Francisco 49ers.
OLB Derek Rivers: Signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Houston Texans
LS Jake McQuiade: Signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys
RB Malcolm Brown: Signed a one-year, $1.75 million deal with the Dolphins
DE Michael Brockers: Trade to Detroit Lions
QB Jared Goff: Trade to Detroit Lions
DE Morgan Fox: Signed a two-year, $8.5 million deal with the Carolina Panthers
TE Gerald Everett: Signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Seattle Seahawks
CB Troy Hill: Signed a two-year, $9 million deal with the Cleveland Browns
WR Josh Reynolds: Signed a one-year, $1.75 million deal with the Tennessee Titans
C Austin Blythe: Agreed to a one-year, $990,000 deal with the Kansas City Chiefs

Still waiting

QB Blake Bortles

Here are some options at center for the Rams now that Blythe is in Kansas City.

CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER

Brian Allen
-- A fourth-round selection in the 2018 draft by the Rams, Allen started center for nine games in 2019 before suffering a season-ending knee injury that required surgery. Allen was on the active roster last season, but never played as he worked his way back from a torn MCL, torn meniscus and fractured tibia. The Michigan State product is only 25 years; proving that he’s healthy will be a priority for the upcoming season.

Coleman Shelton -- The University of Washington product was an All-Pac 12, first team performer his final season with the Huskies two years ago. Shelton was active for all but one game last year, playing exclusively on special teams. It’s interesting that the Rams kept Shelton on the active roster in 2020, perhaps an indication of how they value the versatile offensive lineman moving forward.

Tremayne Anchrum Jr. -- A seventh-round selection last season, Anchrum mostly worked at tackle last season, but was viewed by some draft analysts as a candidate to kick inside and play guard in the NFL. Other tackle prospects like Justin Britt of the Houston Texans have moved inside to play center during their NFL careers. If the Rams want to get the team’s best five lineman on the field, it could make sense to move Anchrum. The Rams like the Clemson product and he could be groomed as a developmental center prospect to create more versatility up front.

FREE AGENCY

Austin Reiter
-- With the Chiefs signing Austin Blythe, Kansas City’s starting center from last season in Reiter is available and could be an inexpensive option for the Rams if they want to add veteran experience in free agency.

James Ferentz -- A part-time starter at center for the New England Patriots last season, the Iowa product could be a training camp body that adds experienced competition at a position of need for the Rams.

DRAFT

Quinn Meinerz
-- One of the top-rated interior offensive linemen in the draft, it’s possible the small-school product out of Wisconsin-Whitewater could be around when the Rams select at the end of the second round. And it appears the Rams are doing their homework on the interior offensive line prospect, reportedly holding a virtual meeting with him in February.

Drew Dalman – Rams new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry coached Dalman at Stanford las year, so he’ll have an intimate knowledge of his skill set. At 6-3 and 300 pounds, Dalman was a two-year starter at center and guard. He played in a pro-style offense for the Cardinal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Options for Rams at center with Austin Blythe in K.C.

A need for the Los Angeles Rams this offseason shot up the priority list when unrestricted free agent Austin Blythe signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday.

Rams head coach Sean McVay had said that he would like to bring Blythe back, but every move has a price tag. Ultimately, it appears the Rams believed they have answers to the center position already on the roster, or will pursue a replacement through the draft or free agency.

Certainly, the Rams could afford Blthye’s one-year, $990,000 deal with Kansas City, which included an additional $750,000 in playing time incentives. The fact the Rams apparently were not willing to match that offer seems to indicate they were fine with Blythe moving to another team.

Now that Blythe is in Kansas City, the Rams have an important void to fill up front this offseason. They will start a new center and quarterback with Matthew Stafford taking over next season.

Here’s where the Rams sit in free agency heading into the draft in April:

Who’s in

OLB Leonard Floyd:
Four years, $64 million ($32 million guaranteed)
QB Matthew Stafford (trade): Two years, $43 million left on his current deal from Lions
CB Darious Williams: Restricted free agent received first round tender worth $4.766 million
TE Johnny Mundt: Signed a one-year deal stay with the Rams
WR DeSean Jackson: Signed a one-year, $4.5 million deal

Who’s out

S John Johnson:
Signed a three-year, $33,75 million deal ($24 million guaranteed) with the Cleveland Browns
OLB Samson Ebukam: Signed a two-year, $12 million deal ($5 million guaranteed) with the San Francisco 49ers.
OLB Derek Rivers: Signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Houston Texans
LS Jake McQuiade: Signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys
RB Malcolm Brown: Signed a one-year, $1.75 million deal with the Dolphins
DE Michael Brockers: Trade to Detroit Lions
QB Jared Goff: Trade to Detroit Lions
DE Morgan Fox: Signed a two-year, $8.5 million deal with the Carolina Panthers
TE Gerald Everett: Signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Seattle Seahawks
CB Troy Hill: Signed a two-year, $9 million deal with the Cleveland Browns
WR Josh Reynolds: Signed a one-year, $1.75 million deal with the Tennessee Titans
C Austin Blythe: Agreed to a one-year, $990,000 deal with the Kansas City Chiefs

Still waiting

QB Blake Bortles

Here are some options at center for the Rams now that Blythe is in Kansas City.

CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER

Brian Allen
-- A fourth-round selection in the 2018 draft by the Rams, Allen started center for nine games in 2019 before suffering a season-ending knee injury that required surgery. Allen was on the active roster last season, but never played as he worked his way back from a torn MCL, torn meniscus and fractured tibia. The Michigan State product is only 25 years; proving that he’s healthy will be a priority for the upcoming season.

Coleman Shelton -- The University of Washington product was an All-Pac 12, first team performer his final season with the Huskies two years ago. Shelton was active for all but one game last year, playing exclusively on special teams. It’s interesting that the Rams kept Shelton on the active roster in 2020, perhaps an indication of how they value the versatile offensive lineman moving forward.

Tremayne Anchrum Jr. -- A seventh-round selection last season, Anchrum mostly worked at tackle last season, but was viewed by some draft analysts as a candidate to kick inside and play guard in the NFL. Other tackle prospects like Justin Britt of the Houston Texans have moved inside to play center during their NFL careers. If the Rams want to get the team’s best five lineman on the field, it could make sense to move Anchrum. The Rams like the Clemson product and he could be groomed as a developmental center prospect to create more versatility up front.

FREE AGENCY

Austin Reiter
-- With the Chiefs signing Austin Blythe, Kansas City’s starting center from last season in Reiter is available and could be an inexpensive option for the Rams if they want to add veteran experience in free agency.

James Ferentz -- A part-time starter at center for the New England Patriots last season, the Iowa product could be a training camp body that adds experienced competition at a position of need for the Rams.

DRAFT

Quinn Meinerz
-- One of the top-rated interior offensive linemen in the draft, it’s possible the small-school product out of Wisconsin-Whitewater could be around when the Rams select at the end of the second round. And it appears the Rams are doing their homework on the interior offensive line prospect, reportedly holding a virtual meeting with him in February.

Drew Dalman – Rams new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry coached Dalman at Stanford las year, so he’ll have an intimate knowledge of his skill set. At 6-3 and 300 pounds, Dalman was a two-year starter at center and guard. He played in a pro-style offense for the Cardinal.

somtimes I wonder CGI Ram if it’s Soith Florida or Blake Bortles you like more. Can we just keep on waiting list.

Send Mathew Stafford around college campuses and let him find that special bottle

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In my post above I meant to say, *when they tried to flop Jamon Brown and Havenstein.*

But that was really just an experiment in camp.

Demby was a mistake all the way around.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@PhillyRam & @Soul Surfer

It certainly looked like Snead was going to pick Cushenberry in round 3.

They really liked Elgton Jenkins but he was picked ahead of the Rams pick. They also liked Ruiz and really liked Corbett.

You don’t really know what would have happened had any of those recent players made it to the Rams picks. So you are making big assumptions about the Rams philosophy on drafting Oline. To get good starter ready players at Oline most of the time you have to pick them early. For a team possible in need of a starter that feels they are close to being a Super Bowl team, I’d say there is as good a chance they go early at center.

When Snead picked recent Offensive linemen they didn’t have a hole to fill with any of the positions. There was no urgency to land a starter.

oldnotdead

Legend
Old school teams picked o-line as early as round two but usually in rounds 3-5. The bust rate is pretty high for 0-ine because the jump from college to the NFL is much bigger than some other positions. That is especially true at Center. Snead tends to fall into that range. Noteboom and Evans in the 3rd round and Allen in round 4 and Edwards in the 5th.

Obviously, I fall into that camp that feels 0-line starting level talent can be found outside the first round. Terron Armstead is a perfect example as a premier LT drafted in the 3rd round.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Dude.
Centers don't come out of college, ready to start, with one camp under their belt.

That ain't going to happen.

If they pick a Center, AT ALL, it will be for next year or depth.

We have three potential guys ON OUR TEAM that can start at Center in 2021 that already know our offense;

Corbett
Anchrum
Shelton

If they decide to go veteran free agent with somebody like Ferentz, that would also be a possibility because at least he's a veteran and not some wet-behind-the-ears wide-eyed rookie.

Even when they went with Allen a couple years ago, he sat for a year and learned the offense.

They didn't plug them in as a rook.

The only thing I know for certain, is that there is zero chance they start a rookie at Center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In my post above I meant to say, *when they tried to flop Jamon Brown and Havenstein.*

But that was really just an experiment in camp.

Demby was a mistake all the way around.

If your talking about McVays past history you could very well say he was lucky. As far as Demby is concerned now ? I like his development as a player.He continues to improve depth
as a Ram. He was only a practice squad guy because of the expanded roster due to pandemic.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nowhere near the same.

View attachment 44699
You did good in your response going with the completed career record on JS. I would have done that..:sneaky:.

I of course was @ the time looking @ what looked like the final episode in JS career. Where JS was suffering big with health issues by the end of the 2014 season but still able to start. JS was out for the entire season in 2015. He then hooked up with Washington as a backup who saw very little action in 2016 as your post indicates. I was centering in on that part. That part was much near to the same OldSchool.;)

Rams were very lucky on the signing of JS in 2017 where he finally gave us good center performances not seen since Andy McCollum's prime. McVay was in the right place in time having full knowledge of JS's health situation.

just to finalize this .....You & I both know Rams are not going to sign Ben Garland.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is a little drastic. Older I will give you, as he is 33, and I guess depending on how you answer , "compared to what?", 33 could be "older", but wore down? That I don't agree with a bit. Outside of 2019 He hasn't missed a start since 2010. His mind is sharp, his arm is a cannon. I don't think "Wore Down" applies at all.

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford had thumb surgery last month - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
New Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford had thumb surgery last month

Last season, Stafford reportedly suffered a torn ligament in his right thumb

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Drew Dalman – Rams new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry coached Dalman at Stanford last year, so he’ll have an intimate knowledge of his skill set. At 6-3 and 300 pounds, Dalman was a two-year starter at center and guard. He played in a pro-style offense for the Cardinal
According to Pro Football Focus, Dalman was the highest-graded offensive lineman in the Pac-12 (84.8).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Old school teams picked o-line as early as round two but usually in rounds 3-5. The bust rate is pretty high for 0-ine because the jump from college to the NFL is much bigger than some other positions. That is especially true at Center. Snead tends to fall into that range. Noteboom and Evans in the 3rd round and Allen in round 4 and Edwards in the 5th.

Obviously, I fall into that camp that feels 0-line starting level talent can be found outside the first round. Terron Armstead is a perfect example as a premier LT drafted in the 3rd round.

This actually might be a good year to add an Offensive Lineman.

It’s a hard call on the direction though ? Last year I thought was the time to draft a Center,but think The value of Cam Akers,Van Jefferson,T Lewis, & Hopkins was EXCELLENT choices.

Anchrum is all of a Sudden A RAMS FAN Favorite? Some even have him being the starting Center ? He was an excellent value find in 2020.

Austin Corbett is a FA who has never played CENTER in his CAREER? Now some have him as a starting Center.

IMO though Coleman Shelton is the backup Center unless The Rams draft a Center!!!
**** Brian Allen is & will be The Rams starting CENTER!!! I don’t see it any other way.
Options still is a FA Center,but still there is salary cap issues.Then there is continuity & a New Line as well as QB.

Whitworth(1 more) Noteboom,,Allen & Corbett are FA players.
Then there is Edwards,Havenstien & Evans.

My point is if Ram Fans like Anchrum & Brewer who are only 22 & 23 years of age it would be CRAZY to draft a Offensive Lineman other than Center.

Keep asking who The Rams keep & cut ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
According to Pro Football Focus, Dalman was the highest-graded offensive lineman in the Pac-12 (84.8).

That is a Big Time advantage for The Rams having Carberry as The Stanford Offensive Line coach.Especially through the pandemic.

I never knew the connection Mcvay had in him.Having the NFL experience also helps to know what it will take for a Rookie Center.

Will also say Ram Fans(myself included) doesn’t really know
much about Zak Kromer coaching duties. I know he has had a big influence on the Offensive Line & the most knowledge about that group than any other Ram coach.