Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to get paid near that amount or that he was even a priority based on him lasting as long as he did in FA. We made it to the playoffs with him and Akers had a good year so he did something right at times. He was definitely more bad than good. His contract was indicative of a backup that can spot start which is what he is.
Plus McVay designed his plays with that weakness in mind.

Quick short passes and roll-outs.

He even did WR screens almost every time on 3rd and longer than 10 yards due to Blythe's weakness on those downs.

He was so so on 1st down and 2nd or 3rd and 5 or less (excluding 3rd and one) but absolutely terrible on other plays.

In addition, we couldn't get it into the endzone 3 times (or 4 times) when we had 1st and 1 at the goal line against the Cardinals because Blythe sucked so bad in those situations. Their tackle just blew back Blythe every time.

As El Chapo says - his pay scale shows he should not be starting in the NFL but as an emergency back-up only.

I would say he is at best the number 4 guy to come in if 4 starters go down.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Plus McVay designed his plays with that weakness in mind.

Quick short passes and roll-outs.

He even did WR screens almost every time on 3rd and longer than 10 yards due to Blythe's weakness on those downs.
This actually started with Allen as a C. I also think Hav's dropoff that year had something to do with it as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's certainly room for the Rams to fuck this up. But we don't know how these guys have looked in practice. Also when you're replacing a guy whose floor is as low as that of Blythe you have a lot of options that will upgrade you.

I just think there's a bit too much hand wringing with Blythe. Now that he's set the current center market maybe they bring in that depth type vet from among those other JAG options. But if not, well, it's not hard to understand why.
The only one I have any interest in bringing in that would match your above description is Center UFA ex 9er Ben Garland.

Garland at his age sorta fits the John Sullivan move made back in 2017. He played for @ Denver, Atlanta & in San Fran..... now 33 yrs old & coming off the 9ers IR very late in the season last yr ...the market has been very slow for him.

He has 2 seasons with McVay's main competition Kyle Shanahan is a plus. The best OL that I have seen play 2019/2020 was the 9ers. Garland started in it. Garland has played in two Super Bowls. He has started in the NFL @ all three interior Ol posts. His size is also a plus 6-5 309.

On a side note...what has happened to the standard line fan posts ....."You always start your best five Ol'ers" which in this case Noteboom will start @ center ......sorta like when the same fans make a proclamation before the draft "Best Pick Available"..........& you end up with an entire draft class of seven RB's.:zany:

Last edited:

LOURam85

UDFA
If we stay at 57 waiting to draft "our guy" at center, we'll get fucked because someone will move ahead of us for a center 100%. You can't enter a draft where everyone picking around you knows exactly what you're going to do. Its idiocy. So if we want to ensure we get our guy we'll likely have to move up in the 2nd which will cost us a 3rd rounder. Which is also terrible. It's a shitty situation to be in, but we made our bed.
Unless they don’t plan on drafting one early and already have they center on the roster

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Unless they don’t plan on drafting one early and already have they center on the roster
I still say they're going to slide Corbett over and put Evans in at Right Guard.

I keep repeating this so you guys will dog the hell out of me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

I will go one step further and say they will at least try to train Anchrum as the backup Center and Allen doesn't even make the final roster.

AND they don't pick a offensive lineman until after the 5th round.

And this is all based on what I've seen from the Rams organization since they returned to LA.

Tano

Legend
This actually started with Allen as a C. I also think Hav's dropoff that year had something to do with it as well.
That's possible but I remember McVay started to do quite a few more roll-outs in Game 12 in 2019 after Allen got hurt.

Maybe it just took that long to implement the plays
The only one I have any interest in bringing in that would match your above description is Center UFA ex 9er Ben Garland.

Garland at his age sorta fits the John Sullivan move made back in 2017. He played for @ Denver, Atlanta & in San Fran..... now 33 yrs old & coming off the 9ers IR very late in the season last yr ...the market has been very slow for him.

He has 2 seasons with McVay's main competition Kyle Shanahan is a plus. The best OL that I have seen play 2019/2020 was the 9ers. Garland started in it. Garland has played in two Super Bowls. He has started in the NFL @ all three interior Ol posts. His size is also a plus 6-5 309.

On a side note...what has happened to the standard line fan posts ....."You always start your best five Ol'ers" which in this case Noteboom will start @ center ......sorta like when the same fans make a proclamation before the draft "Best Pick Available"..........& you end up with an entire draft class of seven RB's.:zany:
I have been extremely interest in if the Rams would take Garland too for a 1 yr contract while our rookie gets up to speed

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still say they're going to slide Corbett over and put Evans in at Right Guard.

I keep repeating this so you guys will dog the hell out of me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

I will go one step further and say they will at least try to train Anchrum as the backup Center and Allen doesn't even make the final roster.

AND they don't pick a offensive lineman until after the 5th round.

And this is all based on what I've seen from the Rams organization since they returned to LA.
Snead is presently sitting well in the OL unit, however, one year from now this OL will be in a completely different situation. Your thoughts that the Rams are going to find good OL'ers to replace basically 2 starters with the #209th & #252nd selections on Saturday late afternoon May 1st is really hard for me to believe.

Can you name any Rams starting OL'ers who were drafted so late?

Then add to the fact that the Rams just made a trade for an older wore down QB & gave up a king's ransom for him & teams draft payments into the future to start him & then in turn not invest in high-quality OL'ers for his future protection?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d pass on Garland, niner fans are happy they won’t have to hope he can stay healthy this year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Sounds like Meinerz had a hellauva pro day. He's not going to be available at 57 at this rate :rolleyes:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Snead is presently sitting well in the OL unit, however, one year from now this OL will be in a completely different situation. Your thoughts that the Rams are going to find good OL'ers to replace basically 2 starters with the #209th & #252nd selections on Saturday late afternoon May 1st is really hard for me to believe.

Can you name any Rams starting OL'ers who were drafted so late?

Then add to the fact that the Rams just made a trade for an older wore down QB & gave up a king's ransom for him & teams draft payments into the future to start him & then in turn not invest in high-quality OL'ers for his future protection?
Look at the starting OL for the 99' Rams. Outside of Pace, all were late round picks at best.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Looking like Rams might have to settle for 4-5th best C at 57.

Think they’ll do that? I dunno.

If a gem falls to them at 57 at another position I’m sure they’ll pounce.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Look at the starting OL for the 99' Rams. Outside of Pace, all were late round picks at best.
That was true then. Are you saying that that is something you favor in today's NFL?

Over 2 decades ago the NFL world has changed since then. Today's college OL'ers due to today's type of college offenses do not develop college Ol'ers to play in the NFL. There are a few exceptions but they are rare. I am sure I might come up with 2 to 3 if I had time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Stafford is so great, we dont even need a center. He'll just line up across from the NT and snap the ball to himself