What Vikings Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/forums/1554-purple-thoughts/14246825-here-comes-the-buzz-saw

HERE COMES THE BUZZ SAW...

I'm as excited as anyone that we are 5-2, but, like the Packers, the only decent team we've played so far are the Denver Broncos (We showed better against them than the Packers however =).

Now, unlike most people, I don't feel the meat of out schedule starts in 3 weeks. It starts next week with the Rams.

The Rams have a great defense and the new up and coming premier running back of the league in Gurley. They're a lot like us at this point : great defense, great running back, inconsistent passing game. This game has the feeling of the first time AD squared off against LT, only this time, Gurley is the the new AD, and AD is LT. I hope this game doesn't play out the same way. While I'm happy with 5-2, I'll start believing at 6-2.

Next we travel to Oakland. Instead of elite running backs facing off, this week is all about Bridgewater vs. Carr and Diggs vs. Cooper. (If I were to list offensive rookies of the year at this point, it'd go 1. Gurley, 2. Cooper, 3. Diggs). The Raiders just destroyed a very good Jets defense, and they're playing as well as anyone right now. If we can go into Oakland and beat the Raiders, I'll be drinking purple kool-aid for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Finally, we get Green Bay. This is actually the most winnable game of the three in my humble opinion. We almost beat them at home last year, and we've improved as a team. They haven't That being said, beating Green Bay at home or away is a big deal, and, if we've already taken care of business in the two weeks preceding this game, this game will be for the division lead.

If we manage to win all three of these games, I'll be buying my tickets the the Superbowl (in my mind, of course, since I can't actually afford them).

The rest of our schedule after this point aren't all that daunting:

@Falcons (good record, but not a great team)

vs. Seahawks (struggling mightily this year)

@Cardinals (good team, and a Thursday night game on the road, I don't expect to win this one, but I'll be at the game cheering us on regardless [I live in AZ])

vs. Bears (beating them in Soldier Field is tough. At home? not so much...)

vs. Giants (Mediocre team that will likely win a bad division)

@ Packers (It's always tough to win in Lambeau)

Most pundits seems to feel the latter part of our season is the toughest part of our schedule. They're wrong. We'll know exactly who and where we are as a team after the next 3 games.
-------
One week at a time... one week at a time....

A win at home vs. St. Louis is going to be tough but it's do-able.
-------
Nope

Not this year, not with this coach, not with this team.
disbelief.gif

-------
I agree with the OP completely and said as much in another thread:

"Months ago, while looking over the entire schedule, I had this one pegged as one of the big "letdown" games. I know most people seem to fear the Oakland tilt in two weeks more than this one, but I think the Rams are a pretty tough out. That D-line is so stout, and against our depleted O-line I just don't know how we are going to generate any offense whatsoever. If you recall last year they stifled Peterson pretty badly, and most of our rushing output came from Patterson, who doesn't even sniff the field anymore. I see this as one of those 13-10 slugfests, the problem is I don't know which team is going to be the 13 and which the 10."

This game coming up is so huge in terms of building momentum. If we win it we are legit and people will have to start talking about us. These are the kind of games that define who you are. Beating St. Louis would make Green Bay start looking over their shoulder (especially if Carolina can help us out a bit) and give us a huge boost in the wildcard scenario if we can't overtake the Pack.

Unfortunately, in the past several years just when we start to believe we are on our way, we go out and lay an egg against a beatable team. But we haven't had a coach like Mike Zimmer in a LONG time, so I want to say now is the time we start winning these statement games.
--------
If we want to be a good team, we have to beat equal or weaker teams at home. Same for the road, we have to win the games against weaker teams like Detroit and Chicago. I think the next 2 games are good tests, home and away versus teams that are good.
-------
I don't feel there's a team in the league we can't play with or even beat. I'm not saying we are going to win all of our games, but going into each game with this defense and a decent offense , I feel we have a good shot at winning.

I haven't felt this way in a long time.
-------
I think the Rams present a good matchup for us. We have been stout against the run and should be able to combine blitz packages. I expect a better game out of Bridgewater and AD seems to be hungry. 1st game back home after two away, I give the edge to the Vikes

I'm Just Sayin.
------
I agree there are no teams vastly superior to us on the remaining schedule. We may have already played against the best squad already (Denver). GB is certainly beatable, particularly at home. We may not win that game, but they aren't too good for us if we play our game. Like you said, nobody is too for good now, to compete and have a chance to win. Our defense and STs are largely responsible for us being always competitive.

Even though we are a bit dull offensively, we have legit big play ability from a couple of sources, and a smart winning QB. I think we have upside on offense with more consistent OL play, which has improved a bit, and better execution and more experience for our young QB.
--------
I feel if our patched up O line can come together and protect Teddy more we will be legitimate,,,if not maybe make the playoffs maybe not!!! If we can beat the Pack the first time we play them!!! That will go a long way in this team believing in itself and improve confidence and swagger!!!! I see a hungry team, a well coached team..But a team that has big trouble protecting Teddy!!! Until we do that we are doomed, but at least we can improve in the off season and next year if healthy watch out!!!
-------
Indeed, the angst on this board regarding our club playing away or on prime time confuses me. This team fights, and fighters are not afraid of that man/team standing across from them. They prepare hard and effectively, expecting to win. I believe some of our fans have been so beat down they are afraid to expect big things, which is ironic because we now have a gritty team that wont quit.
-------
The Vikings are one game back from the Pack and we play them twice. The division is still up for grabs. Our fate is still in our hands.

I am realistic enough to know we're going to lose at some point, but the thing I am saying is this: IF . . . we were able to win the rest of our games, then we wouldn't need the help of anyone to take the division. It's all still within reach.
-------
Those 2 games will determine who wins the division
------
Rams don't worry me in the least, shut down the run and they got nothing. Also their defense can be burned passing. I like our chances Sunday at home.
-------
http://minnesotavikingsnation.com/thread/33108/rams-next-week

The Rams Next Week

We host St. Louis in what could be one of the most important games of the season for us looking back in the end. They're 4-3 and this game will have huge playoff implications. Todd Gurley is arguably the best RB in the league this year thus far and their front-7 looks absolutely dominant at times. They'll be our first true test since the bye week (no disrespect to KC, DET & CHI) so I'm eager to see if our boys can step up.

Also, these two teams are so d*** similar to one another. Great run games, inconsistent QB play, super instinctive and fast defenses. Could very easily turn into a chess match between coaches. I'm beyond excited and can hardly wait another 7 days.
-------
I agree about the coaches Chess Match, I'll take Zimmer over Fisher any day of the week. Gurley is scary good though.
--------
Tavon Austin is their version of Percy Harvin and he's been playing lights out lately. Today he had 98 rec yds and a td and 21 rushing yds and a td. Has 6 tds on the year.

The Vikings D will have their hands full. Our Oline will probably face their biggest test so far this season. Should be a helluva game.
--------
The two teams are very similar. Our advantage is being at home, we should win because of it.
-------
if we can stop gurley and not turn the ball over we should be fine.
-------
I just want to throw out that as of now, the Vikings have the worst strength of schedule in the league at 0.321. We haven't beat a single good team this year.
-------
Heck, we've yet to beat a team with more than 2 wins this year. The Rams will be quite a challenge for this team unless an offense shows up.
-------
I'm not going to get too excited unless we beat the Rams.
-------
. If we can't beat St Louis we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Other than Denver they will be the only average or better team we've faced, and they are only average. Its nice to win these divisional road games that were formerly impossible for us, so we are making baby steps of progress. This offense needs to do a lot better for us to be legitimate contenders for playoff wins.
-------
Imagine if we had a good qb?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the most part they sound a lot like Rams fans. The level headed ones anyways. I think it's best described as level headed optimism. We know what they are capable of doing. And we know they're also capable of blowing it, we just keep rooting for the best.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Point blank I want to beat them and move to 5-3. I just hope we get a good effort from the offense. I believe our defense can limit them. to 20 or less points.

bskrilla

Starter
What does it tell you when opposing fans each week mention how terrible he is?

QB A: 136-211, 1525 yards, 6tds-5ints, 3 fumbles
QB B: 110-187, 1310 yards, 7tds-5ints, 3 fumbles

One of those is Nick Foles and the other is Teddy Bridgewater

Now you give me the choice between the two and I'm taking Bridewater as my starting QB of the future no question, but it's also not like Teddy has been significantly better than Foles has been this year.

All that being said Foles can be better. It also wouldn't hurt if his receivers would start occasionally catching balls that hit them in the hands.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
The record of Minnesota's opponents this year??? .... 18-36. The team's they've beaten?.... 9-30 !
The record of the Ram's opponents?? .... 27-27

They've beaten DET, SD, KC, DET, CHI. Best record of that bunch is KC at 3-5. They got beaten down by the 49ers. This team is VERY beatable.

By the way - the Rams rank 2nd to only DEN in scoring defense (offensive points against)... and #1 in red zone defense.

Go get 'em boys!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's going to be an interesting thing to watch. Sure, they like to threaten a double A gap blitz, but we seem to be comfortable with a fullback, running back, and three wide out, and of course Gurley and Tavon are both really dangerous on the outside.

And it's not like we haven't struggled with Peterson on outside runs last year. I'm really excited to see how the this plays out. Both teams are very well coached defensively.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After looking over the stats, these teams are eerily similar. I think across the board, the teams stack up evenly in terms of talent, except we have them on defense.

We're ranked higher in rushing offense (we're 3rd!!!) and total defense, whereas they've scored more points than we have. When looking at the talent and what we think we know, it's Very even. But then if you look at who we've played versus who they've played, I give us the edge, even in Minnesota.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
@FrantikRam hit it right on the head. They've played an easier schedule than us. Other than that, our numbers are about the same. Their play style is about the same. I think we're going to see another low scoring game. My gut is saying we win this by a field goal, but honestly this is a toss up.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just saw this, Vikings schedule coming up:

9 Rams (4‑3) Home Sun Nov 8, 1:00 pm
10 Raiders (4‑3) Away Sun Nov 15, 4:05 pm
11 Packers (6‑1) Home Sun Nov 22, 1:00 pm
12 Falcons (6‑2) Away Sun Nov 29, 1:00 pm
13 Seahawks (4‑4) Home Sun Dec 6, 1:00 pm
14 Cardinals (6‑2) Away Thu Dec 10, 8:25 pm
15 Bears (2‑5) Home Sun Dec 20, 1:00 pm
16 Giants (4‑4) Home Sun Dec 27, 1:00 pm
17 Packers (6‑1) Away Sun Jan 3, 1:00 pm
:eek:

They've had it cupcake up until this point, but that stretch is absolutely brutal. We're on the other end of the spectrum, having passed the toughest part of our schedule and entering the cupcake part.

I'm starting to think our real competition for that last wildcard spot is Seattle.
They could lose everyone of those games. Even the Bears will be tough. When it comes to division games, throw records out the window.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Confident bunch....I like that......Should be a good game....I like that too....:yess::boxing::lifting:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's awesome!

No, Gurley is not in the same category, he's FAR better. Are you kidding me?! AP has ONE game this season, against the LIONS with more yards than Gurley's worst start, where they sat him because of the score! AP is at 4.5 YPC compared to Gurley's 6.1 COUNTING the steelers where he was just testing out the legs. :palm:
We owe them a good stern ass kicking!! Wèek 1 last year needs to be erased with extreme prejudice. 34 to 6 the other way this time!
It's Time to put on My game Face ..

deacon-jones.jpg

.. The Vikings are going DOWN!! BIG TIME!!! Bridge water is no Fran Tarkington!! And Gurrrrrrley, well , he show AP how it's supposed to be done!!!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Our defense can be burned passing?? That poster doesn't get an opinion. Clearly hasn't watched a Rams game this year. What's the biggest pass play on us this year? Not enough to be considered a burn that's for sure. Most of them look at stats and make an opinion. How about actually watching football?

Our defense can be burned passing?? That poster doesn't get an opinion. Clearly hasn't watched a Rams game this year. What's the biggest pass play on us this year? Not enough to be considered a burn that's for sure. Most of them look at stats and make an opinion. How about actually watching football?
I'll agree with this, but it goes both ways. Every Fan base has their homers.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now, unlike most people, I don't feel the meat of out schedule starts in 3 weeks. It starts next week with the Rams.

The Rams have a great defense and the new up and coming premier running back of the league in Gurley. They're a lot like us at this point : great defense, great running back, inconsistent passing game. This game has the feeling of the first time AD squared off against LT, only this time, Gurley is the the new AD, and AD is LT. I hope this game doesn't play out the same way. While I'm happy with 5-2, I'll start believing at 6-2.
Finally someone with a little brains ( on the other side) speaks up!!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
thinking the same thing. I think the Rams are actually #1 if not top 5 in giving up fewest 20+ yard plays. just another jerk off fan that doesn't know shit about what's going on

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he probably saw the highlights of the packers game. both of those tds were kind of embarrassing for the d.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
First off I think our next three games are the brutal part,
rams, raiders and packers. Falcons are sooo overrated and will
fade like always, seahawks are average and giants are real avg also.
The only teams that scare us are the rams, packers and cardinals.
the rest eh!!

1st off, you don't win 6 games and be "overrated". The Falcons are very talented and play very well. One game against Tampa doesn't trump the others. That team looks like 11-5 or 12-4. Can't win em all.

2nd, if you want to play the overrated game you can say that about your team as well considering the opponents and how close they were . But the fact is your team is 5-2 and that is all that matters.

Foles needs to step up. What does it tell you when opposing fans each week mention how terrible he is?

Could care less what opposing fans on the internet think. Especially if they call their opponent "dumb".

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The record of Minnesota's opponents this year??? .... 18-36. The team's they've beaten?.... 9-30 !
The record of the Ram's opponents?? .... 27-27

They've beaten DET, SD, KC, DET, CHI. Best record of that bunch is KC at 3-5. They got beaten down by the 49ers. This team is VERY beatable.

By the way - the Rams rank 2nd to only DEN in scoring defense (offensive points against)... and #1 in red zone defense.

Go get 'em boys!

Lets be honest nobody has beaten anyone this year. Let me explain, there are really no great teams. There are 14 teams with either 3 or 4 wins. Who are the best teams New England, Denver? Green Bay, Carolina in the NFC? There are no dominant teams. The Vikings have beaten the teams handed to them. Right now SF looks like an aberration and it was week 1. Since then they have won out and was close with Denver in Denver. It was tied with 5 minutes left and Denver controlled the ball for 4 minutes before kicking a game winning FG. They have won back to back division games on the road, thats never easy.

I am with you, lets get them, but these Vikings scare me. There a good team and we are going to there house. Big game and identity game for both teams.