What should Rams do to the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sorry if a thread like this has been posted but I've had a lot of discussions (elsewhere) about the Rams offensive line and I would really like to know how ROD feels about the OL, the OL coach and what should or shouldn't be done about protecting Goff/establishing the run. First I'll give you my take. Injuries cost the line continuity, almost from the beginning of the season. Blythe was out in week 3 and Jamil Demby started in his place. Noteboom was injured on the Rams second offensive series in week 6. Allen was injured on the first play of the second half in Pittsburgh and Havenstein went out in week 10 also.

Whitworth was the only guy to start all 16 games but there has been some discussion (with opposing viewpoints) about his play. I do know this much. He got called for holding 9 times in 2019, when he only got called 3 times in 2017 and 2018 (each). To me that suggests he was just a bit slower and to recover, had to hold more often than in the past. I would like to see him back but only if they get a cap friendly one year deal. The guy is going to turn 39.

Havenstein was injured but before that he was flagged many times. He had 1 penalty all of 2018 and he got flagged something like 8 or 9 times in 9 games in 2019. Were his and Whitworth's issues a result of the younger guys playing along side them or are they just getting older and slower?

Noteboom played 5 games for an intents and purposes, having been injured early in game 6. Did he show us enough to lean either way on him.
Allen played a bit longer and I pose the same question about him. Edwards, Evans and Corbett played together the last 7 games of the season. What did they show you?

Austin Blythe showed good health (missed 1 game in 2019) and much versatility. I'd like to see them resign him on a 2 or 3 year "fair" deal.

And then again, some have questioned Kromer's ability to evaluate lineman, adjust on the fly and/or prepare his charges for NFL play. I don't subscribe to any of those theories.

So.......

Should the Rams roll with what they have?
Should they invest draft capital in one or two OL?
Should they resign Whitworth and/or Blythe or somebody else in free agency or more than 1 OL? Trent Williams name has come up among some Ram fans.

What do you see happening with the OL.

Thanks for you input.......and please, if this has already been discussed ad nauseum at ROD, feel free to tell me to take a hike!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorry if a thread like this has been posted but I've had a lot of discussions (elsewhere) about the Rams offensive line. I would really like to know how ROD feels about the OL, the OL coach and what should or shouldn't be done about protecting Goff/establishing the run. First I'll give you my take. Injuries cost the line continuity, almost from the beginning of the season. Blythe was out in week 3 and Jamil Demby started in his place. Noteboom was injured on the Rams second offensive series in week 6. Allen was injured on the first play of the second half in Pittsburgh and Havenstein went out in week 10 also.

Whitworth was the only guy to start all 16 games but there has been some discussion (with opposing viewpoints) about his play. I do know this much. He got called for holding 9 times in 2019, when he only got called 3 times in 2017 and 2018 (each). To me that suggests he was just a bit slower and to recover, had to hold more often than in the past. I would like to see him back but only if they get a cap friendly one year deal. The guy is going to turn 39.

Havenstein was injured but before that he was flagged many times. He had 1 penalty all of 2018 and he got flagged something like 8 or 9 times in 9 games in 2019. Were his and Whitworth's issues a result of the younger guys playing along side them or are they just getting older and slower?

Noteboom played 5 games for an intents and purposes, having been injured early in game 6. Did he show us enough to lean either way on him.
Allen played a bit longer and I pose the same question about him. Edwards, Evans and Corbett played together the last 7 games of the season. What did they show you?

Austin Blythe showed good health (missed 1 game in 2019) and much versatility. I'd like to see them resign him on a 2 or 3 year "fair" deal.

And then again, some have questioned Kromer's ability to evaluate lineman, adjust on the fly and/or prepare his charges for NFL play. I don't subscribe to any of those theories.

So.......

Should the Rams roll with what they have?
Should they invest draft capital in one or two OL?
Should they resign Whitworth and/or Blythe or somebody else in free agency or more than 1 OL? Trent Williams name has come up among some Ram fans.

What do you see happening with the OL.

Thanks for you input.......and please, if this has already been discussed ad nauseum at ROD, feel free to tell me to take a hike!!!
Afternoon been wondering where you have been;). If you get into other threads on other non OL titles you will notice the thread always flips back into an OL conversation.

I fixed you up some of the more recent threads on your subject.....should take you the rest of the month to get through them.:giggle:

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams don’t have the cap sources to go get a top OL more than likely and they don’t have a first round pick.
Best case.....
Whitworth comes back on a friendly deal....Havenstein returns to 2018 form at RT....Edwards set at RG.
Let others they have compete for LG and C starting duties with maybe a draft pick or low cost FA adding competition.
If Whitworth doesn’t return and Havenstein can’t return to form? A lot of draws and screenpasses I guess.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams don’t have the cap sources to go get a top OL more than likely and they don’t have a first round pick.
Best case.....
Whitworth comes back on a friendly deal....Havenstein returns to 2018 form at RT....Edwards set at RG.
Let others they have compete for LG and C starting duties with maybe a draft pick or low cost FA adding competition.
If Whitworth doesn’t return and Havenstein can’t return to form? A lot of draws and screenpasses I guess.

While several here are advancing that theory of not enough resources to go after another Offensive Lineman in free agency, we really can't be sure of this as trades, casualty cuts and restructures can all team up to create additional CAP space. It's more a matter of will the Rams choose to direct resources in this manner while also trying to plug holes along the DL & at ILB. There is also the question of Whitworth because if he isn't re-signed, then those funds might be applied to another OL. Not knowing when Noteboom will be returning also leads to frustration when trying to predict who lands where and when. Other teams are currently re-signing players, if Whitworth is a sure thing, what's the hold up ?

fearsomefour

Legend
While several here are advancing that theory of not enough resources to go after another Offensive Lineman in free agency, we really can't be sure of this as trades, casualty cuts and restructures can all team up to create additional CAP space. It's more a matter of will the Rams choose to direct resources in this manner while also trying to plug holes along the DL & at ILB. There is also the question of Whitworth because if he isn't re-signed, then those funds might be applied to another OL. Not knowing when Noteboom will be returning also leads to frustration when trying to predict who lands where and when. Other teams are currently re-signing players, if Whitworth is a sure thing, what's the hold up ?
No rush to resign him either.
As always its probably money. He may want $12M and the team may want to pay him $6M. Who knows? He may not have fully decided to come back too.
The Rams could restructure people to make more room. Cuts that really save the team real money and create room aren’t likely because of the dead money tied up in the bigger contracts.
If Whitworth doesn’t sign a cheap so so vet option is probably about it.
The Rams FO had a plan with Noteboom and Allen and executed it and right now it has them over a bit a barrel. Neither one was playing particularly well before being injured. Who knows how or when they come back. It’s a bit of a shit show to be honest.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm more of a strategic thinker than a tactical guy, so I'll give my broad strategic vision here and let others handle the tactical implementation of.

1. Make it better

The nuts and bolts of that plan can be worked out by better people than me.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I agree with most of the ideas above, Whitworth cap friendly deal, coach Hav up. I also would take a risk and Draft a center with a 2nd or 3rd. Its more of a rarity for the center to go in the first round and we can get a real blue chip talent at that level for us that could be solid for a few years. Especially in the run game, we need it.

2. All offensive lineman fed, I want them lifting with AD regimen and 24 0z porterhouses every meal, I want some some beefy dudes up there with some attitude and strength.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have their starters on the o-line. They simply need to coach them up and allow them to gel as a unit. Corbett played well at LG, both Evans and Edwards outplayed Havenstein and Blythe. Allen and Noteboom will be returning so that is the starting O-line that was put together by Snead and McVay. They haven't had the opportunity to play together and gel as a unit. So what makes people think they are no good?

People overrate Sullivan's play and downgrade Allen, even though he played better before he got hurt. Go ahead and run to PFF for 20108 and they graded Sully at 53.4 that year. With his best year at 66 in 2017. Brian Allen rated out before his injury at 58.6, far better than Sullivan. So enough of this revision history crap about how good Sully was and bad Allen is. And Allen was a first-year starter and still outplayed the vet Sullivan.

Kromer in his stupidity played Noteboom LG a position he's never played and only occasionally practiced at. So of course, he struggled. But in 2018 he played LT his primary position and rated out at 70.7 as a first-time starter. So enough of this nonsense that Noteboom sucks.

Kromer in his wisdom played both Edwards and Evans out of position last year and as well as they played they still struggled. Evans is a OG not OT and Edwards is a OT not OG. Kromer's decisions are head shakers. IMO he's a poor o-line coach.

Bottom line is the Rams need to play their o-line players in their natural positions and they will have the makings of a very good unit. People need to quit listening to these no nothing media hacks and simply do their own research.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams have their starters on the o-line. They simply need to coach them up and allow them to gel as a unit. Corbett played well at LG, both Evans and Edwards outplayed Havenstein and Blythe. Allen and Noteboom will be returning so that is the starting O-line that was put together by Snead and McVay. They haven't had the opportunity to play together and gel as a unit. So what makes people think they are no good?

People overrate Sullivan's play and downgrade Allen, even though he played better before he got hurt. Go ahead and run to PFF for 20108 and they graded Sully at 53.4 that year. With his best year at 66 in 2017. Brian Allen rated out before his injury at 58.6, far better than Sullivan. So enough of this revision history crap about how good Sully was and bad Allen is. And Allen was a first-year starter and still outplayed the vet Sullivan.

Kromer in his stupidity played Noteboom LG a position he's never played and only occasionally practiced at. So of course, he struggled. But in 2018 he played LT his primary position and rated out at 70.7 as a first-time starter. So enough of this nonsense that Noteboom sucks.

Kromer in his wisdom played both Edwards and Evans out of position last year and as well as they played they still struggled. Evans is a OG not OT and Edwards is a OT not OG. Kromer's decisions are head shakers. IMO he's a poor o-line coach.

Bottom line is the Rams need to play their o-line players in their natural positions and they will have the makings of a very good unit. People need to quit listening to these no nothing media hacks and simply do their own research.

Sorry, but every time you post I can't help but smile.
Who are these ROD 'people' that are echoing media pundits ? Seems your real argument is with 'people' not in agreement with your opinions.
Time after time you state that 'Evans is a OG not OT and Edwards is a OT not OG', although during the regular season you have been proven wrong by our coaching staff. Evans had a horrible camp, yet somehow Kromer was able to get respectable performances out of him at RT midway thru the season and on following Havenstein's injury. Just because their physical builds or 'natural position' in your words might lead one to mimic your remarks doesn't automatically box them in as better at one position over another. Time may sort things out differently, but Kromer & McVay are there everyday watching these players in practice, they want the best players at the right position to succeed, and so far Edwards & Evans have played better at OG & RT than in reverse.
From what i've read, no one has called our starting OL no-good, although this may be a nice way to create a straw-man argument, but some definitely qualify as developmental players who have shown promise. Suggesting that the starting 2020 OL is set based off of our 2019 depth chart seems naive, sure it could happen, but i've also heard this same argument when discussing insanity. We are all very aware of your feelings about Kromer, but repeating it constantly doesn't make it true, few assistant coaches get to hire personnel, their chief responsibility is to mold the players given them into better football players. When McVay & Kromer stop seeing eye to eye, then we might expect to see a change, although it now appears both will be heading into their 4'th year together with the Rams.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Edwards and Evans were tackles in college and were being cross trained through the summer to play on the interior line, so playing at guard during the season was intentional. Noteboom practiced at both guard and left tackle. The team wanted him to play guard and get game experience before taking over for Whitworth. That was the plan, not just something Kromer did on a whim.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Edwards and Evans were tackles in college and were being cross trained through the summer to play on the interior line, so playing at guard during the season was intentional. Noteboom practiced at both guard and left tackle. The team wanted him to play guard and get game experience before taking over for Whitworth. That was the plan, not just something Kromer did on a whim.

The difference being that Edwards played quite well in his pre-season games and Evans did not, and that involved both playing every OL position other than Center. Evans' development became more evident when he replaced Havenstein at RT mid-season, he never did play OG during the regular season, just as Edwards never played OT during the regular season.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
One thing noone brings up about Whits play this season, is he had 2 first year starters to his left and right. Both who played from either terrible to mediocre. Whit had it easy when he got here with two pro bowl OG's on either side of him. Having to go from not worrying about other guys handling their business to having 2 dudes who got rocked on the regular, is going to effect his play.

Also with Evan's play, he was helped out ALOT by Higbee and Mundt. He was rarely ever left alone like Hav was before being injured.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No rush to resign him either.
As always its probably money. He may want $12M and the team may want to pay him $6M. Who knows? He may not have fully decided to come back too.
The Rams could restructure people to make more room. Cuts that really save the team real money and create room aren’t likely because of the dead money tied up in the bigger contracts.
If Whitworth doesn’t sign a cheap so so vet option is probably about it.
The Rams FO had a plan with Noteboom and Allen and executed it and right now it has them over a bit a barrel. Neither one was playing particularly well before being injured. Who knows how or when they come back. It’s a bit of a shit show to be honest.

Yep this.

I'd also echo that people who think a late 2nd round or mid round draft pick that will come in and start day one are a little out of touch. It's possible but unlikely, as they will likely be another of the Evans, Noteboom, Corbett, Allen, Edwards that we already have - except all of these guys are further in their development.

With Tennessee needing to re-sign Henry and Tannehil, I may call them up and ask what it would take to get Saffold.

Another piece to this is Blythe - it's possible the Rams decide to re-sign him as there may not be a better option. I think our best 5 at the beginning of next year will be:

Whitworth (Noteboom if he doesn't come back)

Edwards
Evans
Hav
Blythe (Corbett if Blythe isn't back)

We need a strong interior presence like Saffold was - next season hinges on the development of those guys

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep this.

I'd also echo that people who think a late 2nd round or mid round draft pick that will come in and start day one are a little out of touch. It's possible but unlikely, as they will likely be another of the Evans, Noteboom, Corbett, Allen, Edwards that we already have - except all of these guys are further in their development.

With Tennessee needing to re-sign Henry and Tannehil, I may call them up and ask what it would take to get Saffold.

Another piece to this is Blythe - it's possible the Rams decide to re-sign him as there may not be a better option. I think our best 5 at the beginning of next year will be:

Whitworth (Noteboom if he doesn't come back)

Edwards
Evans
Hav
Blythe (Corbett if Blythe isn't back)

We need a strong interior presence like Saffold was - next season hinges on the development of those guys
I’d like to see the Rams sign a FA to compete for the C spot.
Doesn’t have to a high priced guy.
Blythe can hold some value as an interior depth guy for all three OL spots....I wouldn’t spend a lot on him however.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies fellas. I appreciate it, especially all those threads Bonifay linked. My thoughts are they have a lot of young talent so they might be in a good position to negotiate with Whitworth. I am ambivalent with respect to his resigning. If Noteboom is healthy and ready to go, he's probably the LT. And make no mistake, if they choose to go with the youngsters there still will be growing pains at the beginning of the season. The main thing after talent, as always, is health. It screwed the process this year after two years of outstanding luck in 2017 and 18. So the youngsters got a lot of much needed experience. And they now have options.

Noteboom is a T though he has all his NFL experience at G. Edwards is a T or a G. Evans is tackle who can probably play inside. Corbett didn't embarass himself. I'm hoping Havenstein was dinged all year and that was the reason he regressed. Blythe has proved very versatile but will they resign him? Whitworth had 9 holding calls this year after 3 in each of 2017 and 18. The youngsters next to him or age slowing him down so much he's got to hold to keep JG from getting killed?

I'm hoping they add depth in the draft and free agency. How bad they want Whit back and at what price is the key IMHO> I have a feeling unless he rediscovers his form, he'd be on the bench before the year is over. The NFL is about great cap management and to have 5 or 6 or 7 young OL with talent sets them up for years. I know a few fans have pointed to the Rams pitiful 3.7 ypc average in the run game but is that all on the OL or does Gurley's knee and burst figure into that. They had just 8 carries of 20 yards or more with TG having 5. Speed and burst play into that because once you're 5 yards past the LOS, the blocking has done it's job and it's on you. We know we have one of the best blocking WR corps in the league, so I figure a lot of that has to fall on TG.

Here's hoping the youngsters are as good as they were evaluated to be before drafting them. Health, health and more health goes a long way after talent.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
One thing noone brings up about Whits play this season, is he had 2 first year starters to his left and right. Both who played from either terrible to mediocre. Whit had it easy when he got here with two pro bowl OG's on either side of him. Having to go from not worrying about other guys handling their business to having 2 dudes who got rocked on the regular, is going to effect his play.

Also with Evan's play, he was helped out ALOT by Higbee and Mundt. He was rarely ever left alone like Hav was before being injured.
I'm having a dumb moment. Who plays on Whitworth's left?