10 things with Joe Noteboom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

1580320912237.png

1: Step-by-step

Sarina: What's the update on Joe Noteboom, how's your knee?
Joe: I think we're about eight weeks from surgery. Haven't started running yet or anything like that, just trying to get the quad strength up and figure out walking. I think in about four weeks we start jogging and stuff like that on the field.

2: The little things

Sarina: What's the healing process taught you?
Joe: I've never really taken walking for granted, but now I do. Health and eating well and getting your body right. I've always thought it was important, but now [even more]. I never want to get hurt again, because this sucks.

3: Still learning

Sarina:
Is there anything you learned watching the game, not being in the game?
Joe: I haven't really watched a game from up top, it just looks so different from up there.
Sarina: Welcome to our life as fans.

Joe: I know. even on TV, it looks different than in person. But you see more and see the bigger picture of plays and stuff. It's hard to get that when you're just playing your position.

Click above to read full report

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Disappointed as I was in his play last year and even though I'm skeptic on him, I'll be rooting for Boom to have a huge year. And same exact deal with Allen. The Rams will undoubtedly bring in new bodies to that room however both those guys will have the opportunity to win jobs.

Well Boom has the injury to deal with but hopefully his return will be smooth. He's an easy player to root for. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most of here have been wondering if there were any reports on the status on the knee of our future LT Joseph Noteboom. This is the first news that I have seen.

I had thought that since the injury took place on October 13th, 2019 if there was just soft tissue tears in those major knee two ligaments that it would be normal for the operation to take play approx 2 to 3 wks after the event.

Noteboom let it be known that the operation event took place much later approx first of December 2019. It might indicate that there was more severe damage done to that knee than I thought. Appears that Noteboom is just now learning to walk on that reconstructed knee.

I have posted several times now that I expected Noteboom back by the bye (mid season) in order to play LT for this Ram ream in 2020....I now have doubts that he will play a big role @ that critical blind side LT post this upcoming season.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Can’t rely on him to play a full season for sure. Still on the thought we resign Whit for one year and assume Boom will be depth only in 2020 while rehabbing and focusing solely on LT with assumption he’ll replace Whit in 2021. Focus on fixing the middle of our line now without Boom being a part of it.

Ram65

Legend
It doesn't look good for an early return for Boom. It could be best that he doesn't push it. Too bad he got hurt. I think he could have used the rest of the season for the experience. Now, maybe he can focus on adding core and leg strength to get a better push on run plays. He is still very young for a LT so he can still develop and become a good to very good LT. Good Luck Boom.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't look good for an early return for Boom. It could be best that he doesn't push it. Too bad he got hurt. I think he could have used the rest of the season for the experience. Now, maybe he can focus on adding core and leg strength to get a better push on run plays. He is still very young for a LT so he can still develop and become a good to very good LT. Good Luck Boom.
Yeah I think you've nailed it. He definitely needs to get stronger so I would guess he gets the 2020 season or most of it to do that. So his real "window" as it were to make a mark on the top of the depth chart will be the 2021 season.

Which is the last season of his rookie deal. It's a damn bummer but he's still got his entire career ahead of him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes I think he can be an effective LT for this Ram team in 2021 season.
Yeah I think you've nailed it. He definitely needs to get stronger so I would guess he gets the 2020 season or most of it to do that. So his real "window" as it were to make a mark on the top of the depth chart will be the 2021 season. Which is the last season of his rookie deal. It's a damn bummer but he's still got his entire career ahead of him.
When he was drafted & throughout his rookie season the future was extremely bright for Noteboom. Snead surely was thinking mission accomplished when he utilized a 3rd rd draft selection in 2018 for the Rams future starting LT for the 2019 & beyond. Boy did things change.....not for the better.

I do not hold any negative thoughts on Noteboom based on his very weak 6 gm performance @OG. I hold most of that situation on the shoulders of Kromer. Noteboom is a OT not an interior OL that Kromers forced early in 2019.

Snead is going to have to re direct his attention on the important LT post either in UFA'cy or on the 2nd day of the 2020 April draft with the #52 selection or the #84 selection. He may be pushed to go the route of the draft due to Salary Cap ramifications.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Which is the last season of his rookie deal. It's a damn bummer but he's still got his entire career ahead of him.
yeah it seems that it take about 3 years for later round o l men to beef up and learn to work as a unit with the rest of the line. if they work out and are a good part of the line then you have to pay them. not to often that you get low round picks that can step in during their first year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead is going to have to re direct his attention on the important LT post either in UFA'cy or on the 2nd day of the 2020 April draft with the #52 selection or the #84 selection. He may be pushed to go the route of the draft due to Salary Cap ramifications.
I think Evans is the best option. Chances are it's more realistic for him to move over to LT than for a rookie taken outside the first round to come in and do the job. I also prefer that to Whit playing there on fumes. Even Edwards is probably a better option, not sure he's got the feet but why not try him there.

Evans and Edwards had some up and downs but what makes me feel good about them is neither got trucked consistently. When they did lose it was almost to be expected, like Edwards vs Armstead. But they're both going to get better and year 2 should show the most improvement which is exciting for us.

The Rams' pocket needs to get better you just can't have Goff constantly with someone or two someones crushing it with guys in his face. Whit was routinely one of those guys getting pushed around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
yeah it seems that it take about 3 years for later round o l men to beef up and learn to work as a unit with the rest of the line. if they work out and are a good part of the line then you have to pay them. not to often that you get low round picks that can step in during their first year.
Certainly looks to be proven issue with OL's versus most other positions.

It does seem to me that rookies & 2nd yr defensive players make a much more positive impacts on their teams units during those first two years in comparison to LT/RT/RG/LG & centers.

Snead going against the NFL natural flow in drafting OL'ers 2018/2019 expecting them to contribute early to replace those veteran starting Ol'ers. At this time Snead's route has yet to work positively for this team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It does seem to me that rookies & 2nd yr defensive players make a much more positive impacts on their teams units during those first two years in comparison to LT/RT/RG/LG & centers.
No doubt. And I'm sure all that relates back to the way so many spread offenses don't have linemen with their hands in the ground. Sort of insinuates that using FA on the OL is a good approach with cap space, let some other team eat the painful dev years. You're still gonna have to draft/develop but boy you can cut some corners by hitting on that FA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. And I'm sure all that relates back to the way so many spread offenses don't have linemen with their hands in the ground. Sort of insinuates that using FA on the OL is a good approach with cap space, let some other team eat the painful dev years. You're still gonna have to draft/develop but boy you can cut some corners by hitting on that FA.
And you can ruin your team over paying for free agents. You can also ruin chemistry along the oline by continually shuffling free agents in and out every year or two. Each route has its pluses and minuses. Personally I’d rather develop our own guys.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Say what you guess want. Andrew Whitworth WILL be Back !!

Noreboom wouldn’t, but can practice with the team as a PUP guy ?? Just will probably sit out all of 2020. Just give him time to rehab with no real pressure.
Noteboom seems mellow as a competitor . I in No Way Blame Kromer, I think Mcvay was way to cautious & in the end The Rams paid for it. Can’t play scared, but you have to play. There is not enough practice hours now a days.
Mcvay is No Bear Bryant & what would he tell Kobe Bryant. To not practice. Maybe that is the other Philly guy AI

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you can ruin your team over paying for free agents. You can also ruin chemistry along the oline by continually shuffling free agents in and out every year or two. Each route has its pluses and minuses. Personally I’d rather develop our own guys.
So would I actually. But you gotta win games. To date under Kromer the best linemen we've had were two free agent additions in Whit and Sully. Once Sully broke down the interior of our OL hasn't been the same. Now Whit in 2019 showed cracks and was part of our struggles in all the shuffling that occurred.

I don't feel like FA is the only way to do it. Just observing the inherent advantage if you hit on them.

And btw I have advocated going with Evans at LT instead of Whit. Which is developing our own guys. Him and Edwards are going to be excellent going forward IMO.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have faith in Noteboom to recover and become a talented tackle. My only concern is when he'll be back because I think that he'll grow stronger from adversity. I agree with Merlin that Evans should get the first crack at left tackle, though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have faith in Noteboom to recover and become a talented tackle. My only concern is when he'll be back because I think that he'll grow stronger from adversity. I agree with Merlin that Evans should get the first crack at left tackle, though.
I agree with you here on 2019 3rd rd draft pick Bobby Evans being the most probable replacement for Andrew Whitworth LT post. My understanding is Evans was the designated back up to Whitworth after the Austin Blythe injury took over for Edwards. Rob Havenstein's knee injury early wk #11 pushed Evans into early rookie season starting action @ OT for Rob. Evans got 7 NFL gm starts worth of experience that sure will help him have a foot up in 2020.

I would not write off David Edwards either for the LT battle. David Edwards was the initial back up to Whitworth. Edwards did get much more experience in 2019 than Evans. Being the early main back up @ both OG post & then getting 16 gms under his belt with 10 starts @ OG posts. I should remind myself that Kromer originally had Edwards starting @ LT for 3 games in preseason.

Chandler Brewer appears to have the swing OT position locked down with his 7 NFL worth of gamesexperience ....for the moment but that might change when Snead drafts a pure LT prospect in April. Either way Brewer will either be the swing OT behind Evans/Havenstein or the swing OG behind Corbett/Edwards.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So would I actually. But you gotta win games. To date under Kromer the best linemen we've had were two free agent additions in Whit and Sully. Once Sully broke down the interior of our OL hasn't been the same. Now Whit in 2019 showed cracks and was part of our struggles in all the shuffling that occurred.

I don't feel like FA is the only way to do it. Just observing the inherent advantage if you hit on them.

And btw I have advocated going with Evans at LT instead of Whit. Which is developing our own guys. Him and Edwards are going to be excellent going forward IMO.
We were also rebuilding a team that went 4-12 and had t finished in the top half of our division since 2010. The roster needed an overhaul and w’re still doing it. You can’t fix everything in one year. We’ve made efforts to draft and they all haven’t hit and most haven’t been given time. Couple that with the approach to training camp, hell the fact that you can’t really even practice anymore, it’s hinderedthe development of young linemen.

Oline play problems isn’t a unique problem to the Rams. But everybody seems to want a quick fix bandaid instead of a longer term view. This wanting to throw away draft picks after a handful of starts won’t help things either, I’ve seen people suggest we just straight cut Allen and move on from Noteboom.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most all UFA's are vastly expensive & over priced .....thus usually ending up at some point causing your team serious headaches in salary cap issues i.e. Brandon Cooks.

Drafting OL'ers is high-risk venture too because so many do not have the needed skills & abilities to perform @ the NFL level the first 2 or 3 seasons in this league. Time they finally get it they are UFA's & off to another team with tons of cap funds. So what do you end up for your valued 1st or 2nd day draft pick ? .........A high paid bench warmer or worse yet getting your team franchised QB damaged for taking too many hits while training him to finally get it right for another team.

I believe you have to do both. Yes develop our own as you pointed out & purchase a couple of over priced veteran starters still in their prime i.e Whitworth & Sullivan. Its the blending of the two to get the right blend.......I am sure Snead knows with the OL “blending is the most special skill.”

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We were also rebuilding a team that went 4-12 and had t finished in the top half of our division since 2010. The roster needed an overhaul and w’re still doing it. You can’t fix everything in one year. We’ve made efforts to draft and they all haven’t hit and most haven’t been given time. Couple that with the approach to training camp, hell the fact that you can’t really even practice anymore, it’s hinderedthe development of young linemen.

Oline play problems isn’t a unique problem to the Rams. But everybody seems to want a quick fix bandaid instead of a longer term view. This wanting to throw away draft picks after a handful of starts won’t help things either, I’ve seen people suggest we just straight cut Allen and move on from Noteboom.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I fully recognize drafting and developing and it's my preference on the OL. But it's going to be important for guys like Allen and Boom to actually win jobs through competition vice having it handed to them like the Rams did in '19.

If for example the Rams drafted Cushenberry and Allen were to beat him out (yes it's unlikely) I would have zero issues with him being our starter. That doesn't require a FA. But if they go sign an OG or C in FA it has the same effect, that being more competition at the other spots. If they get a RG for example then Edwards (who is going to be a plus starter IMO) can compete with Corbett at LG and by extension if Corbett beats him out I'm feeling really good about him at LG.

For me this basically goes back to the level of talent. I believe you think it's sufficient from what you have said, correct? I'm just not of that mind, and even though I'm all for drafting and developing I think we need a boost. It's that simple. If it were me I'd take advantage of this FA market and let Whit roll on to greener pastures but if the Rams go another way so be it. Not like I'm not used to them doing just that lol.

Ram65

Legend
I think Evans is the best option. Chances are it's more realistic for him to move over to LT than for a rookie taken outside the first round to come in and do the job. I also prefer that to Whit playing there on fumes. Even Edwards is probably a better option, not sure he's got the feet but why not try him there.

Evans and Edwards had some up and downs but what makes me feel good about them is neither got trucked consistently. When they did lose it was almost to be expected, like Edwards vs Armstead. But they're both going to get better and year 2 should show the most improvement which is exciting for us.

The Rams' pocket needs to get better you just can't have Goff constantly with someone or two someones crushing it with guys in his face. Whit was routinely one of those guys getting pushed around.

I thought coming in Edwards had the better/quicker feet to play LT being a former TE. No big deal because Kromer will decide. I expect him to move them around again early in practice/preseason. This year they need to play in the preseason. Havenstein's comeback should be very important to help the offensive line positions getting settled.