Rams could make changes on offense following disappointing 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams could make changes on offense following disappointing 2019
Lindsey ThiryESPN

The Los Angeles Rams' offense lost its way last season but will attempt to correct course in 2020. Following a 9-7 season, the offense will continue under the direction of Rams coach Sean McVay but will also receive plenty of input from new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell. Similar to last season, the Rams are scheduled to return each skill position starter. It wouldn't be shocking, however, if some shake-ups are made this offseason.The offensive line, like in 2019, is the biggest concern as it could potentially undergo another round of changes because of two experienced players who are scheduled to reach free agency next month.

Here's a look at questions facing each offensive position group this offseason.

Quarterbacks
Can quarterback Jared Goff return to form? And who will back him up? The Los Angeles Rams' offense lost its way last season but will attempt to correct course in 2020. There's no debate, last season was a disappointment for Goff, who passed for 22 touchdowns, with 16 interceptions and had a total QBR of 48.5, which ranked 23rd in the NFL. Goff's upcoming fifth season is already notable because of his $36 million salary cap hit -- the largest cap hit in the NFL. While Goff, who turns 26 in October, attempts this season to find the path he set in 2018 -- when he passed for 32 touchdowns, with 12 interceptions, and helped lead the Rams to Super Bowl LIII -- he must do so in the midst of another transition.

O'Connell represents the fourth change at offensive coordinator since Goff was drafted in 2016 and the new OC also will work closely with Goff as a quarterbacks coach -- his fifth in five seasons. The Rams signed Blake Bortles last season to a one-year, $1 million contract and Bortles is scheduled for free agency next month. It's uncertain how much Bortles can earn on the open market after five uneven seasons starting for the Jacksonville Jaguars, followed by minimal playing time last season.

Running backs
Perhaps no group caused as much confusion about the Rams' offensive identity last season than the running backs. An unstable offensive line was part of it, but the game plans, which relied on Goff and a platoon of backs, did not provide the group any favors. That must change in 2020.Todd Gurley is unlikely to ever appear as the same breakaway, hurdling star that he was in 2018, but that doesn't mean he can't be the offensive focal point. The Rams' chances of winning correlate directly to the number of touches Gurley receives.

Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson were expected to play significant supporting roles last season, but both were hindered because of an unstable offensive line and injuries. It will be interesting to monitor how touches are dispersed between the three backs moving forward.

Receivers
1582129014162.png

The Rams are scheduled to return their trio of starting receivers -- Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp -- for a third consecutive season, but it wouldn't be entirely surprising if this group underwent change. Cooks is in the midst of a five-year, $81 million contract, and while his speed provides a dynamic difficult to replicate, his production last season (42 catches for 583 yards and two touchdowns) did not match that of a No. 1 receiver. That was, in part, because of the multiple concussions he sustained, causing him to miss three games. Cooks' history of head injuries could play a part in the Rams' decision about his future.

After experiencing a midseason lull, and missing a game because of what he cited as a family issue, Woods took his play to a new level in the final six weeks of last season. He is expected to return as a go-to target for Goff.Kupp shined through the first half of last season, highlighted by a 220 receiving-yard performance in a Week 8 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. Now, as he enters the fourth and final season of his rookie contract, the former third-round pick is due a lucrative extension. Josh Reynolds remains as a solid option as a fourth receiver. He also is entering the final season of his rookie deal.

Tight ends
The 4-year, $29 million contract the Rams awarded Tyler Higbee before last season raised a few eyebrows, until Higbee produced a breakout December that included four games with more than 100 receiving yards. He is now one of the most intriguing Rams players to watch entering next season. Higbee's extension and subsequent breakout leaves Gerald Everett's future with the Rams in question as he enters the final season of his four-year rookie contract. After overcoming a knee injury that sidelined him three games, Everett played a minimal role in the final two games.

Offensive line
The Rams' offensive line struggled last season and could be a concern again in 2020, especially since veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and guard/center Austin Blythe are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next month. Without a clear-cut choice to replace Whitworth, the Rams must consider re-signing the 38-year-old. Last season, Whitworth earned a $10.3 million base salary. Finding a number that works for both sides must be a priority, but the Rams can't overpay. Whitworth has some leverage given the Rams have no clear choice to replace him.

Blythe, who has played left guard, right guard and center in his three seasons with the Rams, is expected to test the free-agent market. It remains to be seen how the Rams handle the situation at right tackle. Rob Havenstein regressed last season before suffering a knee injury that kept him sidelined several weeks. Havenstein returned to practice as a full participant in Week 15 but remained inactive for the final three games.

As for the rest of the line? Bobby Evans showed steady improvement at right tackle in seven games and it appeared that David Edwards solidified a future at right guard and Austin Corbett provides an option at left guard. Left guard Joe Noteboom, who was drafted in 2018 as the eventual replacement for Whitworth, and center Brian Allen are expected to return from season-ending knee injuries. Expect this group to be under construction deep into training camp.

Following a 9-7 season, the offense will continue under the direction of Rams coach Sean McVay but will also receive plenty of input from new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell. Similar to last season, the Rams are scheduled to return each skill position starter. It wouldn't be shocking, however, if some shake-ups are made this offseason. The offensive line, like in 2019, is the biggest concern as it could potentially undergo another round of changes because of two experienced players who are scheduled to reach free agency next month.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Michael Pittman is a WR I like.

I also think value on defense.

This article doesn’t provide much on players. O”Line ? Under construction late doesn’t help signing anyone. Yes competition will be good & cross-training got depth. -I still like Rob Hav at RG.He has had trouble of the edge, but is an excellent run blocker. Edwards might be The Rams best RT. Brewer should improve & Evans can be moved around as well.

John Kelly ?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
They experimented with Havenstien at G couple years ago. He was horrible.
He's a tackle, not a guard. Square peg in a round hole. Hope he's embarrassed enough to work his ass off this off season to come back and take his job back so Evans can slide in next to him at RG. Whitworth LT, Edwards LG, Who knows C, Evans RG, Havenstien RT might just turn out to be a decent OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hav will need to win his job back most likely. That might even mean he ends up competing inside. Not in agreement with the idea that him failing at OG early in his career means he's not capable of doing it, either. He's a powerful run blocker and should do better in a box.

And of course there's no guarantee he'll be on the roster come camp either. It is certainly possible he is moved particularly if they plan on adding a FA on the line.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We absolutely have to draft a center. I'm not comfortable with Allen, Blythe (whom I was wrong about, feel free to shame me) or even Corbett starting there just yet. And this is the best center class I've seen in years, possibly since I started watching the draft (2003).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We absolutely have to draft a center. I'm not comfortable with Allen, Blythe (whom I was wrong about, feel free to shame me) or even Corbett starting there just yet. And this is the best center class I've seen in years, possibly since I started watching the draft (2003).
There are also some good guards. I have an idea for a next mock but will wait until after the combine, hint in this we don’t draft a center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are also some good guards. I have an idea for a next mock but will wait until after the combine, hint in this we don’t draft a center.
We all have discussed the Rams overall 2020 center starting post & reserve center position a ton thus far. Snead/McVay have a good amount of options dandling out there @ center @ this time. We will get a somewhat better view on a few of them here in March/April.

#1- The current UFA status on our starting center when the season ended last season Austin Blythe. If they are really interested in having him as our starting OC then we may see them quickly sign him to a future contract. IMO that will not happen, but it is an option.

#2- The current RFA status of our 2019 reserve OC, Coleman Shelton who would enter his 2nd season as a Ram is a versatile Ol'er who has played four of the OL posts in college & a former UDFA of the Cards in 2019. Might see a lower RFA tender offer. That offer would be tendered @ approx $2.14 million. The Rams would most likely cut him & resign him to a 2 yr contract @ a much lower rate just as the regular season is about to begin.

#3- Option here is the Org might want 2019 mid season starter @ LG Austin Corbett to compete for the starting OC post with signed Brian Allen & Nate Trewyn. The big weight bearing on that situation would be based on the progression of last years #6 OL'er Chandler Brewer & his improvement on considerations as a starter @ one of the OG posts with David Edwards.

It might even be where the Rams entertain all FIVE being highly involved in a serious dog fight to make the 2020 roster in one of the interior OL roles. So the Org might desire to save that draft selection for another OL position {LT/OG} or use it on the defensive side for an ER/ DT (5 tech) Deep safety or ILB'er.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Corbett goes to Center, The Rams need a starting LG. I’ve been saying The O”Line is fine, but never been a fan of Brian Allen.Does he get cut ?? I don’t think Allen would be good as a guard. Maybe always a Sunday scratch??

Memento

Name
Jemma
We all have discussed the Rams overall 2020 center starting post & reserve center position a ton thus far. Snead/McVay have a good amount of options dandling out there @ center @ this time. We will get a somewhat better view on a few of them here in March/April.

#1- The current UFA status on our starting center when the season ended last season Austin Blythe. If they are really interested in having him as our starting OC then we may see them quickly sign him to a future contract. IMO that will not happen, but it is an option.

#2- The current RFA status of our 2019 reserve OC, Coleman Shelton who would enter his 2nd season as a Ram is a versatile Ol'er who has played four of the OL posts in college & a former UDFA of the Cards in 2019. Might see a lower RFA tender offer. That offer would be tendered @ approx $2.14 million. The Rams would most likely cut him & resign him to a 2 yr contract @ a much lower rate just as the regular season is about to begin.

#3- Option here is the Org might want 2019 mid season starter @ LG Austin Corbett to compete for the starting OC post with signed Brian Allen & Nate Trewyn. The big weight bearing on that situation would be based on the progression of last years #6 OL'er Chandler Brewer & his improvement on considerations as a starter @ one of the OG posts with David Edwards.

Shelton's actually an ERFA. He won't cost much of anything to retain. The only RFAs on the team are Fox, Natson, and Deayon. Shelton and Trewyn are good depth, but I wouldn't count on them being more.

As far as the #6 lineman goes, that's probably Evans, not Brewer (unless Evans wins the EDIT right tackle or left guard (sorry for the lack of clarification: the right guard spot is Edwards' job to lose), in which case, I'll have Brewer or someone like him as the next man up). I like Brewer, but Evans has not only draft pedigree, but can play left tackle, while Brewer is probably filling three positions (both guard spots and right tackle); I still don't trust him at left tackle.

As for Allen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on another team. Between drafting a center (and perhaps a guard), and maybe signing or trading for a lottery ticket (Forrest Lamp is my choice) to compete at center along with the drafted rookie(s), Corbett (although I'm still not comfortable with Corbett at center) and said lottery ticket, there might not be room for Allen, Trewyn, or Shelton.

And Demby should be gone five minutes ago. (Yes, I was wrong about him as well, shame me please.)

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shelton's actually an ERFA. He won't cost much of anything to retain. The only RFAs on the team are Fox, Natson, and Deayon. Shelton and Trewyn are good depth, but I wouldn't count on them being more.

As far as the #6 lineman goes, that's probably Evans, not Brewer (unless Evans wins the right guard job, in which case, I'll have Brewer or someone like him as the next man up). I like Brewer, but Evans has not only draft pedigree, but can play left tackle, while Brewer is probably filling three positions (both guard spots and right tackle); I still don't trust him at left tackle.

As for Allen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on another team. Between drafting a center (and perhaps a guard), and maybe signing or trading for a lottery ticket (Forrest Lamp is my choice) to compete at center along with the drafted rookie(s), Corbett (although I'm still not comfortable with Corbett at center) and said lottery ticket, there might not be room for Allen, Trewyn, or Shelton.

And Demby should be gone five minutes ago. (Yes, I was wrong about him as well, shame me please.)

Well Demby was overwhelmed. Was never a fan of his as well.
Colome is interesting to me. Why is he on the roster & playing Center ? Either way both this 2 players are going into there 3rd season.

Brewer needs help for sure. He played against Arizona didn’t look good at all.
These Lineman are so young though.

What I know is The Rams need Whitworth signed sooner than later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My take on McVays offense is he needs to get Brendin Cooks more involved. He left 2019 hungry so watch out for him to have a breakout season. Cooks has had 4 1,000 yard seasons. He says his concussions are not a problem.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

As far as the #6 lineman goes, that's probably Evans, not Brewer (unless Evans wins the right guard job, in which case, I'll have Brewer or someone like him as the next man up). I like Brewer, but Evans has not only draft pedigree, but can play left tackle, while Brewer is probably filling three positions (both guard spots and right tackle); I still don't trust him at left tackle.

Good catch girl on my mistaken read on Shelton's free agent status! Yep Shelton then would be a sure resign in my estimations as a ERFA.

From reading your response post you have the LT post resolved in your opinion? Because I have Bobby Evans starting @ LT with Noteboom PUP'd. There is no other LT prospect on the roster @ this time.

Most members here are convinced that Corbett will be our starting OC. I am not so sure I would prefer him to stay right where he was last season myself. He will be a good starting LG for us in 2020 IMO.

Brewer was primarily a Right side OL'er in college, most of his 4 yrs of work was performed @ RG. I would not expect Brewer to be involved with the LT post in 2020. On the flip side Brewer would be a good 2nd yr "planned in" RT/LG/RG prospect.

I do not expect Brian Allen to be discarded. Allen will be a Ram in 2020 & play a part in the OL either as a starter or reserve for the interior OL. I would look for OC/OG Jeremiah Kolone who will be entering his 3rd season with a contract as a Ram to be a solid prospect as a reserve.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Good catch girl on my mistaken read on Shelton's free agent status! Yep Shelton then would be a sure resign in my estimations as a ERFA.

From reading your response post you have the LT post resolved in your opinion? Because I have Bobby Evans starting @ LT with Noteboom PUP'd. There is no other LT prospect on the roster @ this time.

Most members here are convinced that Corbett will be our starting OC. I am not so sure I would prefer him to stay right where he was last season myself. He will be a good starting LG for us in 2020 IMO.

Brewer was primarily a Right side OL'er in college, most of his 4 yrs of work was performed @ RG. I would not expect Brewer to be involved with the LT post in 2020. On the flip side Brewer would be a good 2nd yr "planned in" RT/LG/RG prospect.

I do not expect Brian Allen to be discarded. Allen will be a Ram in 2020 & play a part in the OL either as a starter or reserve for the interior OL. I would look for OC/OG Jeremiah Kolone who will be entering his 3rd season with a contract as a Ram to be a solid prospect as a reserve.

My choice for left tackle is Whitworth. He's the best option, and by all accounts, he wants to come back.

I expect Noteboom to sit out at least half of the season, if not all...but I don't think we should give up on him. He's clearly a tackle and wasn't a fit at guard, but in limited time when Whitworth went down, he actually played fantastic.

His situation reminds me of Saffold's, in terms of injuries sinking a second year that was poor when they were healthy. Obviously, Noteboom's injury is more severe, but that's what it reminds me of. We could've given up on Saffold after he failed to sign with the Raiders. We didn't. And I don't think we should give up on Noteboom either.

Corbett is interesting. I like him. I just don't know if he can play center in the NFL. He played in preseason with the Browns and didn't do well. He was a good left guard, like you said. I wouldn't straight-up hand him the job (I'd personally draft two rookies this year, one being a center; the other being a guy who can play guard and tackle), but if he wins, he wins.

I like Brewer as a spot starter and good depth. But yes, I agree with you and others who like him; it would not totally surprise me to see him do well, at this point.

I disagree on Allen and Kolone. Allen was a disaster, and Kolone couldn't make the roster when Noteboom and Allen (and, effectively, Havenstein) went down with injuries. Maybe you keep Allen on the preseason roster, but he hasn't shown any hint of being a solid starter at center, even when Sullivan was injured and ineffective, and there's no way they should play him at guard with his significant strength issues.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

It might even be where the Rams entertain all FIVE being highly involved in a serious dog fight to make the 2020 roster in one of the interior OL roles. So the Org might desire to save that draft selection for another OL position {LT/OG} or use it on the defensive side for an ER/ DT (5 tech) Deep safety or ILB'er.

Your #3 option mirrors what i've been saying for months. Also, by far, i'm wishing our top two draft picks are an OT & 5T DE, hopefully both will be had in the 2'nd round following a Fowler Tag & Trade.
I can still see a mid to later round draft pick being applied to a C/OG for depth, but doubtful as a rookie starter as many are clamoring for.
If the Rams should draft an OT as high as the 2'nd round, then I'd go so far as to say i'd prefer to sign Scherff long term rather than re-sign Whitworth for only 2020.
jmo.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Corbett goes to Center, The Rams need a starting LG. I’ve been saying The O”Line is fine, but never been a fan of Brian Allen.Does he get cut ?? I don’t think Allen would be good as a guard. Maybe always a Sunday scratch??

I can only repeat what i've been stating for quite awhile already, ... if Corbett does indeed move to Center, then Edwards who opened his starting NFL career and played so well at may return to LG. RG could possibly go to Brewer who performed quite well in camp, ... and Evans, Trewyn, Demby as well as a mid to late round drafted rookie would also be in the running as competition. Of course, i'd still prefer free agent Brandon Scherff to fill this position, but should he be unaffordable and the Rams choose to remain in-house, one of these 4-5 players might just surprise us and lay claim.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Corbett is interesting. I like him. I just don't know if he can play center in the NFL. He played in preseason with the Browns and didn't do well. He was a good left guard, like you said. I wouldn't straight-up hand him the job (I'd personally draft two rookies this year, one being a center; the other being a guy who can play guard and tackle), but if he wins, he wins.

Corbett came into the NFL as an OT and Cleveland hoped to continue that, so he was a disappointment to a team that didn't do their proper due diligence as many predicted prior that he was meant for an interior position, he followed a previous Nevada OT who happened to be Joel Bitonio, thus the many comparisons. Hopefully their loss will be our gain.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your #3 option mirrors what i've been saying for months. Also, by far, i'm wishing our top two draft picks are an OT & 5T DE, hopefully both will be had in the 2'nd round following a Fowler Tag & Trade.
I can still see a mid to later round draft pick being applied to a C/OG for depth, but doubtful as a rookie starter as many are clamoring for.
If the Rams should draft an OT as high as the 2'nd round, then I'd go so far as to say i'd prefer to sign Scherff long term rather than re-sign Whitworth for only 2020.
jmo.

If you sign Scherff your counting on a LT to be there in the draft. Plus it will be to expensive. I agree on Corbett sticking next to LT Whitworth.

Center is the question mark. What about Allen’s health.? Blythe could be brought back ?

oldnotdead

Legend
Anyone who thinks a rookie center will play better than Allen is simply wrong as it would mean they probably don't understand the position. The center is more than a simple blocker. He must make the blocking calls based upon the play that is called. That requires intense film study and experience. Why would they want to start over again and go through rookie growing pains?

Did Allen make mistakes? Yes of course and even I said he would experience growing pains as a first year starter. But overall he did a credible job and was rated as good or better than Sullivan most of the time. IMO he was a better pass blocker than Sullivan and a much better Center overall. Those calling for Blythe to remain the starter at Center obviously haven't done any serious film study. He was barely adequate most of the time and Allen clearly outplayed him during his games. Remember, Allen was often victimized by exceedingly poor play by both Blythe and Havenstein.

I seriously doubt that McVay will give up so quickly on Allen whom he has said was playing well. IMO with Allen and Noteboom, it's a matter of health, not talent. This is the o-line that Snead and McVay built and I doubt either will give up so quickly.

Corbett was a targeted player by the Rams in his draft but was off the board before they had a chance to take him. He wasn't simply a random player. The same can be said about Kenny Young. These weren't unknown random players. I expect both to be starters this coming season. Austin showed he's a pretty good OG and did a very credible job at LG.

Snead traded for Fowler knowing he needed to extend him this year. Fowler's play met expectations as a force to be reconded with on the outside when paired with AD. I would find it extremely short-sighted by Snead if he didn't have a plan for extending Fowler before he made the trade. Everyone of Snead's trades has been targeted and well-executed.

IMO the biggest question mark this year will be Littleton. Some team might be willing to overpay for him. Littleton's value in the passing game was as a zone defender. When asked to cover in man coverage he was clearly outmatched and didn't fare well. He was a good defender in the run game which is expected from a middle linebacker. It needs to be pointed out that in most hybrid defenses it's the NT and MIKE that get pulled for the nickel and dime DBs. So if they go to a more traditional rotation for a 3-4 hybrid the MIKE is a 2 down LB. This is why IMO Young was targeted in the Peter's trade with Littleton's contract status uncertain. Young has shown in Baltimore he can be a 3 down LB and the fact that Baltimore runs the exact same defensive scheme shows Young is a good scheme fit.

Young has the speed they have lacked to have a true coverage ILB and one that can play sideline to sideline against the run. He's not just a ST's player and IMO the year of practice and study will serve him well this season. Kenny Young started 6 games for the Ravens and had 59 tackles with 46 being solo. He also had 2.5 sacks and one PDEF so it's not like he's an unproven player. I'm not saying he will play MIKE but the Ram's played Littleton on passing downs because they had to as they had no other options. If Kiser can return from his injury which seems likely, then the Rams will have two ILBs who have the speed to cover and play sideline to sideline. Therefore a MIKE might become a two-down position as it is in most hybrid schemes. As far as replacements for Littleton at MIKE, if they have both Young and Kiser on the field then Troy Reeder becomes an option. With the trio of Young, Kiser, and Reeder they will have speed at LB to really allow them flexibility in their base defense. All three LBs run a 4.6 and Reeder played well last year.

That is why I wouldn't be surprised if they let Cory walk, and make the MIKE a two-down position with either a drafted player or at least initially with Reeder. It's why I feel that Fowler is the primary FA they need to re-sign and I think they will. The case with Littleton is murkier. He was a good player but scheme limited. Reeder looked good last year and would be fine if MIKE becomes a two-down position.

Remember in this scheme Fowler is an OLB (WIL) and Ebukam is the SAM so they really only need two ILB which they would have with Young and Kiser both of whom have the speed they didn't have before at the positions. In a standard 4-3 the MIKE is a key LB position. In a hybrid 3-4 the MIKE & NT are subject to being pulled on passing downs. So don't be surprised or dismayed if Cory is allowed to walk. The defense will become less predictable and faster without him. With Cory, offenses knew the LBs would be in zone coverage. With Young, Kiser, and Reeder, they can't make that assumption.