What should Rams do to the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know if they're going to resign Whitworth (or Blythe). I don't know if they're going to draft an OL or two. I don't know if they're going to attempt to sign a free agent OL. But I do know they have Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Noteboom, Corbett, Allen, Shelton, Brewer, Kolone and Demby under contract. That's 10 guys to choose from with the probability of more joining them. I'm not upset with that situation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can. It helps if Robert Woods and Dante Fowler are traded (and I get why people don't want to do it, but it's simply a matter of what we have as trade chips). Ramsey at cornerback is a cornerstone of our defense. JJ3 is a leader and tone-setter. Kupp is our best receiver.

I understand your position as well. You probably want experience on the lines, and I get it, I really do. But the guys in free agency aren't worth it, especially not with the money they'll command. I ca understand if we sign/trade for a guy like Forrest Lamp as competition, but we don't have the cap space and overall cash to sign a Scherff or a Costanzo.

And am I the only one who sees a similar timeline to Saffold in Noteboom? Noteboom played well at left tackle when Whitworth went down in his first year. He was ineffective in his second year before he got injured. Saffold was ineffective in his second year before he got hurt.

I'm not giving up on Noteboom for those reasons. I think he can be a great left tackle. I just hesitate to put him at guard.

But I digress. You believe that we need more experience. I believe that we need cheap, affordable talent. We both want to fix the line; we just so happen to have different methods.

I can not disagree with you here on this following comment "I believe that we need cheap, affordable talent." but I would direct team assets "2020 Ram Draftees" usually associated with that comment mostly on the defensive side. Use of priceless salary cap funds for good fitting UFA's/RFA's & late preseason releases/cuts veteran OL'ers.

Ref. Your Noteboom comments ....I read a ESPN article yesterday where Lindsey Thiry ESPN reporter expected that Noteboom would compete with Austin Corbett on who will be the starting LG in camp.:palm: Clueless is she noto_O.

I agree with you on Noteboom. He will not be in contention for any starting Ram OG post. Noteboom being here is great news for this Ram team at this time. He is 100% OT. This is a very good state of affairs in Ramville. Noteboom's skills back pack is stuffed full of specialized (LT blindside) abilities! Noteboom is far more LT than RT & is by far the best Rams LT currently signed. One very big problem he has been damaged & is still rehabbing. His playing status early in this upcoming season is highly doubtful.

Sneads top 2018 draft pick, thus far has not paid off any dividends @ the half-way period of time in his initial 4 yr contract. It also appears looking down the road of 2020 that Noteboom will have been a Ram for 3 of his 4 seasons & where he has done very little to help this Rams team. Let's hope that the Rams can get at least 1 full starting season's worth of play from him.

The next Noteboom announcement news flash might provide good or bad info never know. If his reconstructed knee is not too badly damaged he will be a starting LT or RT for the Rams for just one season (2021). Thus, my reasoning for Snead to use @ least 1 of his draft picks on a pure LT & the only other offensive needs is @ RB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
As it happens, I re-watched the first Cards game last night.

Just for funsies, you know?

I was particularly watching Blythe (at C) and Corbett because of all of the speculation on both as Rams starters in ‘20.

Know what? I thought both played a nice game. Both solid although not spectacular. No mistakes that I could see and no penalties. Goff was very comfortable all game long.

FWIW, I came away encouraged about their prospects for this season. Rams were able to run inside or outside at will and pass pro was excellent.

Blythe was playing hurt with a lingering ankle and 2 bad shoulders that required surgery post season (although I don’t know if both were already injured prior to this particular game). Pretty damned impressive when you think about it. IOW, I am keeping an open mind on Blythe if his contract demands are halfway reasonable. I’m thinking that a healthy Blythe is at least the equal of the ‘17-‘18 Sullivan and the Rams O was quite good in both of those years, huh?

Our OL cupboard is hardly bare.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sorry guys, I just can't agree with most of what i've been reading here. I'm preferring that the Rams look forwards to their future, not rehash the past. We've changed several coaching positions this off-season, so i'm going to embrace a future without Fowler, Littleton, Brockers, Whitworth & Blythe.

LT) Competion is the name of the game, unleash Edwards, Evans, Brewer & a 2'nd round draft pick to hold down the fort until Noteboom returns.

LG) Edwards leads as this became his first NFL assignment and he did it quite well until moved elsewhere when Allen was injured. He can compete with a mid-round drafted C/OG, Evans, Brewer and Trewyn. And yes, even the infamous Demby will be back in play for camp.

C) Corbett & Allen go head to head and Corbett wins, ... with Trewyn & the drafted C/OG on the outside looking in.

RG) This is where the free agency money goes that we were going to spend on Whitworth. Brandon Scherff wins in a landslide and we now have one of the best run blockers in the league for the next 4 or 5 years. Brewer, Evans, Trewyn, Demby and the drafted C/OG vie for first reserve.

RT) Havenstein comes back in shape and takes his job back. Evans is first reserve.

When Noteboom returns he'll become the swing OT for 2020 and will compete for a role starting in 2021 at both LT with the newly drafted 2'nd rd. OT, or possibly with Havenstein/Evans at RT.

Although this is my preference for 2020, I believe the Rams will stick with Whitworth and the OL will remain sub-par.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorry guys, I just can't agree with most of what i've been reading here. I'm preferring that the Rams look forwards to their future, not rehash the past. We've changed several coaching positions this off-season, so i'm going to embrace a future without Fowler, Littleton, Brockers, Whitworth & Blythe.

LT) Competion is the name of the game, unleash Edwards, Evans, Brewer & a 2'nd round draft pick to hold down the fort until Noteboom returns.

LG) Edwards leads as this became his first NFL assignment and he did it quite well until moved elsewhere when Allen was injured. He can compete with a mid-round drafted C/OG, Evans, Brewer and Trewyn. And yes, even the infamous Demby will be back in play for camp.

C) Corbett & Allen go head to head and Corbett wins, ... with Trewyn & the drafted C/OG on the outside looking in.

RG) This is where the free agency money goes that we were going to spend on Whitworth. Brandon Scherff wins in a landslide and we now have one of the best run blockers in the league for the next 4 or 5 years. Brewer, Evans, Trewyn, Demby and the drafted C/OG vie for first reserve.

RT) Havenstein comes back in shape and takes his job back. Evans is first reserve.

When Noteboom returns he'll become the swing OT for 2020 and will compete for a role starting in 2021 at both LT with the newly drafted 2'nd rd. OT, or possibly with Havenstein/Evans at RT.

Although this is my preference for 2020, I believe the Rams will stick with Whitworth and the OL will remain sub-par.
jmo.
Sure appears the LA Rams are looking backwards not forward @ LT post river. The tea leaves point clearly to me that Snead/McVay are going for off the shelf iron on patched up look with our a graybeard 38-39 yr old starting @ LT.

Thus taking up a major chunk of available salary cap $$$ you had put aside now for long time & saved going towards a younger experienced veteran RG named Brandon. There is just about zero forwards looking in that move. Lets hope they don't continue to look backwards & use the rest of the salary cap on signing Blythe to start again @ RG post.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sure appears the LA Rams are looking backwards not forward @ LT post river. The tea leaves point clearly to me that Snead/McVay are going for off the shelf iron on patched up look with our a graybeard 38-39 yr old starting @ LT.

Thus taking up a major chunk of available salary cap $$$ you had put aside now for long time & saved going towards a younger experienced veteran RG named Brandon. There is just about zero forwards looking in that move. Lets hope they don't continue to look backwards & use the rest of the salary cap on signing Blythe to start again @ RG post.

That was a lot of words to just say you agree with me, if indeed that's what you're saying ?

Paying big money to Whitworth and medium money to Blythe seems like a bass ackwards way to advance our OL situation, I can only hope we are more forward seeking than this.
jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

It depends on what holes are projected come draft.

Signing Whitworth takes some pressure off the draft strategy. That’s the positive resigning him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep it would cost an arm and a leg. Yep it would mean saying bye to Fowler, Littleton, Matthews.

Even still I would do this without thinking twice about it.

The OL must be fixed at any and all costs, and adding nothing but a rookie is pretty much the definition of insanity. Re-sign Whitworth and sign Thuney and let the youngsters learn and grow with them.

Then in the draft, load up on the front 7 and hope that the D can be average next year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It depends on what holes are projected come draft.

Signing Whitworth takes some pressure off the draft strategy. That’s the positive resigning him.

With new money likely being added to the CAP in anticipation of players ratifying the CBA, perhaps the Rams will be able to afford both Whitworth & someone like Scherff to the OL in free agency. Waiting to hear estimates on just how much above the projected $200.mil. 2020 CAP could go ...

Ram65

Legend
By now we all know I'm for resigning Whitworth unless Noteboom is ready to practice early enough in camp with the rest of the offensive line. The Rams can go in many directions to get the offensive line back to the point where they can both be successful in running the ball and protecting Jared Goff. Austin Blythe will be testing the free-agent market with a cap valuation of $3.471 Million.

Resigning him is not completely out of the question depending on other offers. If the Rams resign Whitworth I don't see them resigning Blythe considering the Rams have other options at OC plus the draft.

LT-Whitworth (Unless Noteboom is ready for a good part of training camp)

LG-Edwards (I like Edwards here to team with Whitworth because I have others on the right side)

OC-Draft pick OC/OG Biadasz or Johan Jackson (Both can run block and play both will compete at OC/OG)

RG-Evans or Havenstein (I don't think Havenstein had enough time to be tried at RG last time)

RT Havenstein or Evans (I think Havenstein will make a solid comeback at RT but, let us see)

The only position that is a given is Whitworth at LT. By drafting Biadasz or Jackson the Rams have added some flexibility with the additional competition at OG and OC with lineman that can run block in zone and gap systems. Corbett and Allen will get a chance to compete with them at OG/OC. I'm not totally convinced that the Rams have given up on Allen at OC. All others will be competing as well. When Noteboom is ready he adds depth at OT. The Rams have Edwards and Evans that can play OT but, may not be counted to do so on at the start of the season. Shelton, Brewer, Kolone and Demby compete as well.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Word is Redskins will resign Scherff before league year starts or franchise him.

Whit still leads the leaderboard of "best of not great choices!"

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ks-with-impending-free-agent-brandon-scherff/

Ron Rivera says Redskins have begun contract talks with impending free agent Brandon Scherff
Scherff is set to make some big money in the near future, but a franchise tag is not out of the question

Ron Rivera is entering his first offseason as head coach of the Washington Redskins and he has some big decisions to make. He has already released veterans like Josh Norman and Jordan Reed, but Rivera now has to consider if he will want to move forward with Dwayne Haskins as his starting quarterback and how to handle impending free agents. One of the most important players expecting a contract extension is offensive guard Brandon Scherff. The three-time Pro Bowler was drafted by the Redskins in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, and has been a key cog in Washington's offensive line over the past five seasons. According to JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington, Rivera says that the Redskins have begun contract talks with Scherff, and he's part of their plan for 2020.

Finlay also adds that a franchise tag could happen if the two sides can't get a deal done before the new league year. Spotrac's calculated market value predicts that Scherff will receive a four-year deal worth nearly $50 million which will include an average salary of $12.4 million. That deal would make him the third highest-paid offensive guard in terms of annual salary behind Zack Martin of the Dallas Cowboys and Andrew Norwell of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While Scherff played in all 16 games in both of his first two NFL seasons, he ended the 2018 and 2019 seasons on injured reserve. Last year, he suffered a torn pectoral in a Week 9 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, and this past season, a combination of elbow and shoulder injuries prematurely ended his year. However, he still played well enough to earn his third Pro Bowl nod.

At those dollars and with that injury history, my interest is waning a bit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

INDIANAPOLIS – Safety John Johnson III and offensive linemen Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen began the 2019 season as starters, only to see it cut short due to injuries which landed each of them on injured reserve. Several months later, however, Rams head coach Sean McVay is pleased with where they stand in their respective recovery processes.

"They're feeling good," McVay said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "They're making good progress."
Prior to suffering his season-ending shoulder injury against the 49ers in Week 6, Johnson collected 50 tackles and a pair of interceptions in six games. Noteboom sustained a season-ending torn ACL and MCL in the same game. Four weeks later, Allen was done for the year with a season-ending MCL injury.

All three have been working out at the team's Thousand Oaks, California, facility during the offseason. Phase 1 of the Rams' organized team activities (OTAs) begins April 20, but McVay said he would have to consult with Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance Reggie Scott before determining what their involvement looks like.

"Each of those injuries is a little bit different, but they're on track to being ready to go for the season," McVay said. "What it does look like, for how we utilize them in the offseason program, I think, is to be determined."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

INDIANAPOLIS – "Each of those injuries is a little bit different, but they're on track to being ready to go for the season," McVay said. "What it does look like, for how we utilize them in the offseason program, I think, is to be determined."

That's some very good news. If Noteboom is indeed on schedule to begin the season, our off-season free agency & draft plans are also likely to respond accordingly. Big, big news, just hope it's not coach speak and is the result of his truly mending quickly & properly ...

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Many I get the sense think Noteboom is really good at most when healthy he average terrible run blocking. Allen was terrible. Whit is another year older. Something has to change in a major way.

LT - My thoughts trade for Trent William B plan bring Whit back.

LG - Corbett, or Noteboom or make a FA bid of Thuney

C - draft at 52 the best C of the top 5 names all will be there it seems B plan Corbett, Allen

RG - Need Scherff #1 FA priority if available

LG - Evans or Haverstein

All these options are geared to a major upgrade of the OL we can not stand Pat period.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's some very good news. If Noteboom is indeed on schedule to begin the season, our off-season free agency & draft plans are also likely to respond accordingly. Big, big news, just hope it's not coach speak and is the result of his truly mending quickly & properly ...
I dis agree with you here River .... It's absolutely GREAT news if as you said its not just McVay rambling off on his normal coach speech stuff.

Having Noteboom near 100% ready for the duties of full time NFL action is the best I could have hoped for this off season.

I would think that any consideration of utilizing JN @ either of the OG post is off the table. If they sign Whitworth then this team can run JN as the 6th OL'er swing OT thus letting the rest of the young OL'ers fight it out for the interior posts.