Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Offseason Outlook: Rams LT Andrew Whitworth set to enter free agency

Though the Rams were forced to shuffle their offensive line around due to injuries this season, the one constant was left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

In addition to protecting quarterback Jared Goff's blindside, he was a leader not only for the offensive line but in the entire locker room. He helped get a young group up to speed, one that eventually allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL in 2019 despite those changes. The former LSU was also very active in the community, as shown by his nomination as the team's Walter Payton Man of the Year nomination this year.

Whitworth has started in 47 out of 48 possible regular season games since signing with Los Angeles as a free agent prior to the 2017 season. However, that three-year deal has officially run its course, and he's slated to be a free agent when the new league year begins March 18.

The 38-year-old Whitworth wants to continue playing in 2020. He would like to do so with the Rams, but also made it clear he will be listening to other offers.

“Obviously, anytime you’re a free agent, you’ve got to listen to everything and figure out what’s best for you," Whitworth said. "But of course, for me and my family, being a Ram would be No. 1, without question."
Should Whitworth depart, the team has a couple of options already on its roster.

One is 2018 third-round pick Joe Noteboom, who began the 2019 season as the Rams' starting left guard but was being groomed as Whitworth's eventual replacement, according to general manager Les Snead. However, Noteboom underwent season-ending knee surgery in mid-October, a setback which Snead said complicates their ability to evaluate whether he is ready for that role in 2020.

Los Angeles could also turn to Bobby Evans, who started seven games at right tackle as a rookie but projects as a guard or left tackle.

While both Noteboom and Evans have gained valuable experience and were cross-trained along the offensive line during the preseason, they also have a small sample size as starters. Whitworth returning for at least another season would be beneficial move for both him and the organization, allowing its future options to continue developing while affording him the chance to continue playing for his family's top choice.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Offseason Outlook: Rams LT Andrew Whitworth set to enter free agency

Though the Rams were forced to shuffle their offensive line around due to injuries this season, the one constant was left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

In addition to protecting quarterback Jared Goff's blindside, he was a leader not only for the offensive line but in the entire locker room. He helped get a young group up to speed, one that eventually allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL in 2019 despite those changes. The former LSU was also very active in the community, as shown by his nomination as the team's Walter Payton Man of the Year nomination this year.

Whitworth has started in 47 out of 48 possible regular season games since signing with Los Angeles as a free agent prior to the 2017 season. However, that three-year deal has officially run its course, and he's slated to be a free agent when the new league year begins March 18.

The 38-year-old Whitworth wants to continue playing in 2020. He would like to do so with the Rams, but also made it clear he will be listening to other offers.

“Obviously, anytime you’re a free agent, you’ve got to listen to everything and figure out what’s best for you," Whitworth said. "But of course, for me and my family, being a Ram would be No. 1, without question."
Should Whitworth depart, the team has a couple of options already on its roster.

One is 2018 third-round pick Joe Noteboom, who began the 2019 season as the Rams' starting left guard but was being groomed as Whitworth's eventual replacement, according to general manager Les Snead. However, Noteboom underwent season-ending knee surgery in mid-October, a setback which Snead said complicates their ability to evaluate whether he is ready for that role in 2020.

Los Angeles could also turn to Bobby Evans, who started seven games at right tackle as a rookie but projects as a guard or left tackle.

While both Noteboom and Evans have gained valuable experience and were cross-trained along the offensive line during the preseason, they also have a small sample size as starters. Whitworth returning for at least another season would be beneficial move for both him and the organization, allowing its future options to continue developing while affording him the chance to continue playing for his family's top choice.

Well, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that Whitworth re-signs with the Rams! At a reasonable price (Team Discount?!)!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't know how we don't sign him or a decent FA LT. I really don't think we have one on the roster today.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
LT and C is without a doubt needs fixing. How they address this is going to be fascinating. Along with their coaching staff. I'm dubious to be honest.
Need the emoji behind blue couch icon here!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Early this season I was like "thanks for the memories big fella." But he did improve as the season went on and finished strong.

The problem here is that dropoff. He was much better last year than this year and that dropoff will probably continue. So the Rams need to anticipate that and offer something of a more affordable nature and try to work things out with him. If that happens I am good with him returning provided they have some sort of backup answer if his play completely falls off.

If he's hell bent on trying the market I'd let him walk. We need to quit with the bandaids and short term vets and get core players in here. Overpaying Scherff gets you a core player, drafting a center and maybe another OT might do the same. Let's build this line and watch this offense dominate for the next 5 years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams tackle Andrew Whitworth posts pre-, post-surgery photos to instagram

Los Angeles Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth posted a handful of images to his instagram stories feed on Tuesday reflecting a post-season surgery on his right leg.

Whitworth posted a short video, captured by Rich Hammond of TheAthletic.com, from the hospital with a caption of “Let’s get it!” before the procedure and a follow-up shot of his right leg propped up after returning home.

“Don’t get it twisted though… I’m coming soon as they let me out! Bet dat!” Whitworth wrote over a third image of him blocking for Jared Goff in a game against the Atlanta Falcons.

View: https://twitter.com/rich_hammond/status/1214710046950486016?s=21

Whitworth has missed just two games to injury over his last 11 seasons and only nine games in total over his 14 seasons in the NFL. The final image would seem to indicate a desire for Whitworth to play a 15th season next year with the Rams. However, Whitworth is set to be a free agent in March and turned 38 years old in December.

While Whitworth regularly missed practices throughout the season, he only was listed with an injury once in Week 17. Whitworth was listed as having a quadriceps injury ahead of the team’s finale with the Arizona Cardinals.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Is there a better LT than Whitworth that can be signed? If there is, he'll cost way more than Big Whit. While his performance has dropped off, he was still better than most teams LT. If he signs elsewhere, Rams will probably go with what they have and sort it out in TC and Pre season. I'd like to see at lest a C and another O-Lineman drafted.

fearsomefour

Legend
Is there a better LT than Whitworth that can be signed? If there is, he'll cost way more than Big Whit. While his performance has dropped off, he was still better than most teams LT. If he signs elsewhere, Rams will probably go with what they have and sort it out in TC and Pre season. I'd like to see at lest a C and another O-Lineman drafted.
I think a more realistic question, given the Rams cap situation, is there a comparable LT available for less money?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
He will have a couple of choices on where to play next season. Rams will have to bring in someone, sounds like Boom will not be ready week 1.

fearsomefour

Legend
He will have a couple of choices on where to play next season. Rams will have to bring in someone, sounds like Boom will not be ready week 1.
I would find it amazing if he was ready, but, maybe he will pull an Adrian Peterson....a quick recovery from major knee surgery, not beating children.
A guy like Penn is cheap and should be available. He used to be very good. Is he still? Don’t know.
If Whit grades out as a B LT would Penn at a C + be worth saving $10 M? Probably.
But, I didn’t watch the skins much this year. No idea how he played.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869968-buyer-beware-which-nfl-free-agents-should-teams-avoid-in-2020#slide1
Buyer Beware:
Which NFL Free Agents Should Teams Avoid in 2020?

Andrew Whitworth, OT
1578505813911.png

Andrew Whitworth is a big name who could return to the Los Angeles Rams instead of joining his third team since entering the league in 2006.

Whitworth, 38, had regression issues last year, receiving more help than any other left tackle in football and seeing his Pro Football Focus grade dip to 72.8, down from 83.1.

This situation calls to mind the Trent Brown saga. The Oakland Raiders overpaid the limited starter last offseason (four years, $66 million), and he hovered around the same ho-hum play while struggling with injuries. The overarching theme is a thirst for left tackles at the NFL level.

In short, teams aren't letting the best offensive tackles hit the market, and the fact that the Rams haven't locked up Whitworth prior to this hints they might be comfortable with him slipping to free agency.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think a more realistic question, given the Rams cap situation, is there a comparable LT available for less money?
IMO @ this time there are no decent UFA LT candidates when you look at it with the very tight cap 2020 state of affairs.

I would not want to offend a great NFL player & person like Andrew Whitworth. The state of the Ram nation simply can not pay AW close to the 17 million he made in 2019. However, if AW wanted to remain a Ram I would imagine that a one yr offer of about half of what AW earned in 2019 might be accomplishable. AW would be the best route to go in 2020 if achievable.

If not, Rams have committed draft assets the last two drafts in the OT position (Noteboom(currently unhealthy)/ Evans/ Edwards). Rams also utilized a 2019 UDFA Chandler Brewer as the swing OT protecting Goff from OT posts.

I would utilize the 3 healthy candidates listed above to rectify our OT problems (temporarily) UNTIL Noteboom is fully healthy & fine-tuned ready to start @ LT late in 2020.

It's my belief that it would be easier to afford a replacement for current Ram OL'ers David Edwards, Chandler Brewer & Bobby Evans upcoming 2020 positions (if one of them was able to take command the open LT post early after OTA's/ Training Camp & Preseason events than finding another non Ram temporary LT for 2020. It sure would greatly aid the Rams 2020 cap situation.

Andrew WhitworthLT38LARTBD$11,250,000UFA-
Anthony CastonzoLT32INDTBD$10,953,000UFA-
Kelvin BeachumLT30NYJTBD$8,000,000UFA-
Greg RobinsonLT27CLETBD$6,400,000UFA-
Jason PetersLT38PHITBD$6,000,000UFA-
D.J. HumphriesLT26ARITBD$2,228,028UFA-
Chris ClarkLT34HOUTBD$930,000UFA-
Cedric OgbuehiLT28JACTBD$895,000UFA-
Dakota DozierLT29MINTBD$895,000UFA-
Cornelius Lucas

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Make Whit a ram for life. LT until we have bonified replacement. Coach for 8 years. FO until he retires. Bury him on the 50 yard line when he heads to the pearly gates.

fearsomefour

Legend
IMO @ this time there are no decent UFA LT candidates when you look at it with the very tight cap 2020 state of affairs.

I would not want to offend a great NFL player & person like Andrew Whitworth. The state of the Ram nation simply can not pay AW close to the 17 million he made in 2019. However, if AW wanted to remain a Ram I would imagine that a one yr offer of about half of what AW earned in 2019 might be accomplishable. AW would be the best route to go in 2020 if achievable.

If not, Rams have committed draft assets the last two drafts in the LT position (Noteboom(currently unhealthy)/ Evans/ Edwards). Rams also utilized a 2019 UDFA Chandler Brewer as the swing OT protecting Goff from OT posts.

I would utilize the 3 healthy candidates listed above to rectify the LT problem (temporarily) UNTIL Noteboom is fully healthy & fine-tuned ready to start @ LT late in 2020.

It's my belief that it would be easier to afford a replacement for current Ram OL'ers David Edwards, Chandler Brewer & Bobby Evans upcoming 2020 positions (if one of them was able to take command the open LT post early after OTA's/ Training Camp & Preseason events than finding another non Ram temporary LT for 2020. It sure would greatly aid the Rams 2020 cap situation.

Cornelius Lucas
I smell a disaster at LT.
$8M is about what I’d offer Whitworth.
I’ve mentioned signing Dozier multiple times. I see him more as a G than a LT....but certainly can provide depth for not much.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

If not, Rams have committed draft assets the last two drafts in the LT position (Noteboom(currently unhealthy)/ Evans/ Edwards). Rams also utilized a 2019 UDFA Chandler Brewer as the swing OT protecting Goff from OT posts.

I would utilize the 3 healthy candidates listed above to rectify the LT problem (temporarily) UNTIL Noteboom is fully healthy & fine-tuned ready to start @ LT late in 2020.

Cornelius Lucas

No surprise Greg Robinson will be available.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I see the chance that he could have a big drop off as equal to Noteboom or Evans not working out.
Then you throw in the money it's going to cost to keep him and the fact that we're going to need to move on in the very near future anyway as the reasoning of why he probably won't get re-signed here.

That said I would say he's one of the top three or four reasons the Rams were able to turn it around and have a Superbowl appearance.

Far and Away McVay's best idea, (to immediately strengthen and fix the offensive line) and best signing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein
Run them through camp and run them through some preseason games together.
(JMO)