What should Rams do to the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
most everyone thinks because we had boom,allen,edwards and evens get a half years experience that they will just get better. I wonder if we are making judgments on to little info after all we don't know how notebooms injury will affect him mentaly. I thought blythe was an improvement over allen at center but still left a lot to be desired. Edwards and evans were given lots of help scheme wise and still were question marks like against dallas. with this draft having a lot of high rated centers I think our 2nd rounder should go for a center and hopfuly take care of it for the next 10 years we also need another running back because I think brown will be gone.i would like to see a 4th round of t and maybe a late round back up qb. i'm sure that the rams will do just what I want so there will be a lot of pissed off people after the draft

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing noone brings up about Whits play this season, is he had 2 first year starters to his left and right. Both who played from either terrible to mediocre. Whit had it easy when he got here with two pro bowl OG's on either side of him. Having to go from not worrying about other guys handling their business to having 2 dudes who got rocked on the regular, is going to effect his play.Also with Evan's play, he was helped out ALOT by Higbee and Mundt. He was rarely ever left alone like Hav was before being injured.
Your point on LT Andrew Whitworth 2019 performance & whomever the Rams had starting @ LG hit the mark in finding the source of his difficulties.

Having a "never started an NFL game" pure left OT starting next to him ended up doing no favor to Whit & certainly none to Noteboom. Noteboom only finished 5 gms @ LG. Snead/Kromers top reserve 6th OL'er Jamil Demby replaced Noteboom & the OL went into total shutdown. Demby's back up performance when Noteboom went down was so atrocious that he never suited up for another game.

The following week Demby {who had been groomed by Kromer to be the starting LG in case Whitworth went down} was replaced by Rookie David Edwards @ LG. Edwards turned in one of his best game performances in 2019 in his first start @ LG. Edwards started 3 gms @ LG. Injuries @ center & RT the week before in wk#10 created an opportunity for Edwards to be flipped to starting RG & 2nd yr LG Austin Corbett took over for Edwards. The OL starting OG's remained the same from that point on. When Corbett started wk#11 it was his 1st Rams start in the NFL & only his 2nd start total.

In conclusion: Andrew Whitworth's 2019 season forced him to endure & perform with 3 "FIRST TIME NFL STARTERS" next to him @ LG. The 4th & final LG starter had only started one previous gm for the Browns. Would I be dramatizing it far too much to surmise that what occurred to AW in 2019 impacted greatly to hinder AW's overall 2019 performance?????:bueller:

Ram65

Legend
Whitworth. I am ambivalent with respect to his resigning. If Noteboom is healthy and ready to go, he's probably the LT. And make no mistake, if they choose to go with the youngsters there still will be growing pains at the beginning of the season

The question I have been asking is who plays LT if the Rams don't resign Whitworth and Noteboom is not ready for the beginning of the season?

Here a thread that talks about Notebooms and recovery from ACL/MCL injury. My quote gives an estimation of recovery times.

Let's say recovery is a little faster 10 years later. Let's round down to 10 months from both injury date and estimated surgery date, It stated he had surgery 8 weeks ago. Don't know when he was interviewed.

Injury Oct 14th makes it August 14th 2020

Surgery Dec 1st would put it Around Oct 1st 2020

It's possible that he can return during the preseason. I imagine he would be a little rusty that late into training camp. It would be great if they would give out more information.

You should read the entire thread. It says 63% made the comeback in 10.8 months ten years ago in an article from the USA Today. Too many unknown factors to get a realistic/exact date for Noteboom's return. Here I gave very optimistic dates. Not knowing the exact healthy return to action dates for Noteboom puts the Rams in a bind as far as resigning Whitworth.

I don't see how the Rams can rely on Noteboom to be ready to get the proper reps in camp.

Who else besides Whitworth do the Rams have to play LT?

There is more to Whitworths value than just looking at the holding penalties. He plays every game. His 72.4 PPF grade with one sack allowed still estimates him in the top 15-20 OTs. I know you can't go by PFF grades but, it does give a reference point. Whitworth will be a year older but, he still would be at least an average LT and could be better.

WHITWORTH HOLDS DOWN LEFT SIDE OF OFFENSIVE LINE
Rams LT Andrew Whitworth finished with a pass-blocking grade of 91.0, his highest in a game this season. Additionally, he hasn't allowed a sack or QB hit in each of his last five games.

I'm hoping they add depth in the draft and free agency.

We have had many discussions on what the Rams will have for cap space. That's another subject but, it seems like the Rams will not have enough cap space to go resign Whitworth and another top level FA offensive lineman. I don't see them resigning Blythe if he gets starter free agent money 5 Million range. Draft is possible but, a chance to get a starter in round 2.

I think everything starts at LT and the Rams go from there.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And, even if Whit and us were interested in him resigning prior to FA... there's no reason to do it before the new CBA is signed.

So much of what we're talking about just won't really get a legit look until the CBA is signed (with most expecting that it could happen in the next week or so) and the start of FA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The question I have been asking is who plays LT if the Rams don't resign Whitworth and Noteboom is not ready for the beginning of the season?

Here a thread that talks about Notebooms and recovery from ACL/MCL injury. My quote gives an estimation of recovery times.

You should read the entire thread. It says 63% made the comeback in 10.8 months ten years ago in an article from the USA Today. Too many unknown factors to get a realistic/exact date for Noteboom's return. Here I gave very optimistic dates. Not knowing the exact healthy return to action dates for Noteboom puts the Rams in a bind as far as resigning Whitworth.

I don't see how the Rams can rely on Noteboom to be ready to get the proper reps in camp.

Who else besides Whitworth do the Rams have to play LT?

There is more to Whitworths value than just looking at the holding penalties. He plays every game. His 72.4 PPF grade with one sack allowed still estimates him in the top 15-20 OTs. I know you can't go by PFF grades but, it does give a reference point. Whitworth will be a year older but, he still would be at least an average LT and could be better.

WHITWORTH HOLDS DOWN LEFT SIDE OF OFFENSIVE LINE
Rams LT Andrew Whitworth finished with a pass-blocking grade of 91.0, his highest in a game this season. Additionally, he hasn't allowed a sack or QB hit in each of his last five games.

We have had many discussions on what the Rams will have for cap space. That's another subject but, it seems like the Rams will not have enough cap space to go resign Whitworth and another top level FA offensive lineman. I don't see them resigning Blythe if he gets starter free agent money 5 Million range. Draft is possible but, a chance to get a starter in round 2.I think everything starts at LT and the Rams go from there.
If the playing condition status of Joseph Noteboom is more accurate to being a PUP'd initially when regular season kicks off .......I do not see any other real functional choice on whom the Rams secure to be our starting LT in 2020.

Cap Funds being so tight & limited over the next 3 months in 2020 & the OL being the highest by far need unit to remodel, renew & refurbish-(find replacements for starting RG/OC Blythe & reserve Demby). Andrew Whitworth even with 39 yrs old birthday coming in early December is the safest conclusion @ this time. Rams OL is exceedingly young without an Andre Whitworth there to lead. Something that every smart GM & HC should already fully know.:rolleyes:

If the AW single 2020 price tag causes much stress & strain then Demoff can work some magic involving 2021 cap funds where IMO the Rams might offer AW a 2 yr contract deal with guarantees & higher $$$ involving more 2021 funds. @flv .... are you still awake across the great wide pond?

Noteboom was our top selection in 2018 draft & it was fully assumed that Noteboom would be the replacement for AW @ LT @ this time. One would believe the Rams Org. needs to find out if they need to regroup & reassess on the Noteboom plan.

Currently, they are in an atrocious position over this past 2019 event with Noteboom. Questions ongoing on the teams current & future blind side protector for your franchised pocket passer QB :palm:is not where you want to be in if you are really a SB contending team.

Some additional thoughts here if the Rams do get AW back for the next two seasons better hope that Austin Corbett is a good bona fide starting NFL left OG to pair up with AW while he is performing in this advanced stage of his career. The only LT prospect on this team is Bobby Evans.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Your question is likely unanswerable at this time, being we are outside of the McVay, Snead, O'Connell, Kromer information loop.
Brewer was the first reserve off the bench when giving Whitworth breathers, but his snaps were quite limited. Evans could be without a starting position should Havenstein return back to his old self and might appear as the logical short-term replacement, although Edwards looked the more skillful during 2019 pre-season games.
While others keep banging the drum for enlisting outside high round draft help at Center, I find the Offensive Tackle position in much greater need, and would use our first two picks at OT & DE. This isn't to say a 2'nd round OT is an automatic starter, but he would raise the bar with regards to competition. Noteboom was a late 2018 3'rd round pick as was Evans in 2019, and both were either meant to or were required to start this past season. Allen was a 2018 4'th round pick, and Edwards a 2019 5'th, so i'm not going to rule out a 2020 mid 2'nd round OT from starting if circumstances call for it. When we take into consideration the added detail that Havenstein also became a diminishing factor at RT last season, adding another OT thru the draft should be paramount.
jmo.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your question is likely unanswerable at this time, being we are outside of the McVay, Snead, O'Connell, Kromer information loop.
Brewer was the first reserve off the bench when giving Whitworth breathers, but his snaps were quite limited. Evans could be without a starting position should Havenstein return back to his old self and might appear as the logical short-term replacement, although Edwards looked the more skillful during 2019 pre-season games.
While others keep banging the drum for enlisting outside high round draft help at Center, I find the Offensive Tackle position in much greater need, and would use our first two picks at OT & DE. This isn't to say a 2'nd round OT is an automatic starter, but he would raise the bar with regards to competition. Noteboom was a late 2018 3'rd round pick as was Evans in 2019, and both were either meant to or were required to start this past season. Allen was a 2018 4'th round pick, and Edwards a 2019 5'th, so i'm not going to rule out a 2020 mid 2'nd round OT from starting if circumstances call for it. When we take into consideration the added detail that Havenstein also became a diminishing factor at RT last season, adding another OT thru the draft should be paramount.
jmo.
"adding another OT LEFT TACKLE thru the draft should be paramount."(y):ROFLMAO:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
"adding another OT LEFT TACKLE thru the draft should be paramount."(y):ROFLMAO:

Yet, of all the top RT prospects, Lucas Niang's name keeps popping up as one who might make that transition. Either way, i/m fairly positive about a LT being available to us at #52, this isn't a bad class coming out imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Report: Austin Blythe expected to test free-agent market
usatsi_13651607.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

All offseason, we’ve talked about the Rams’ big four free agents: Cory Littleton, Dante Fowler Jr., Andrew Whitworth and Michael Brockers. However, there’s a fifth starter who’s also set to hit the market.
Austin Blythe was excellent for the Rams in 2018 and while he regressed last season, he stepped up by showing he can play guard and center – performing better at the latter. He’ll also be a free agent next month and Los Angeles may not be able to keep him in horns.
According to ESPN’s Lindsey Thiry, Blythe “is expected to test the free-agent market.” This doesn’t come as much of a surprise, but it’ll make it more difficult for the Rams to bring him back in 2020.
Blythe isn’t a must-keep for Los Angeles, given the depth already on the roster, but he does provide value and flexibility on the O-line. If re-signed, he could compete with Brian Allen at center, Joseph Noteboom and Austin Corbett at left guard (if Whitworth returns) and David Edwards at right guard.
The Rams have a lot to figure out up front on their offensive line ahead of next season, and keeping Blythe would help the Rams greatly when it comes to sorting out that unit.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's an article I read about the Jets needs at LT. There's not much out there.

1. Anthony Costanzo
2. Jason Peters
3. Andrew Whitworth
4. DJ Humphries
5. Chris Clark

anybody know of other LT's available in free agency? Constanzo is considered #1 on that list. Peters and Whitworth have age. Humphries injury.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's an article I read about the Jets needs at LT. There's not much out there.

1. Anthony Costanzo
2. Jason Peters
3. Andrew Whitworth
4. DJ Humphries
5. Chris Clark

anybody know of other LT's available in free agency? Constanzo is considered #1 on that list. Peters and Whitworth have age. Humphries injury.

Nope. that's a big part of the problem. Nothing out there either. Whitworth is the best of a bad situation.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

1. Anthony Costanzo
2. Jason Peters
3. Andrew Whitworth
4. DJ Humphries
5. Chris Clark

Humphries was re-signed by the Cardinals. I'm hoping we sign Whitworth; it just makes sense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth might also desire & even capable to play 2 more seasons too. He may be equal to our past great OT Jackie Slater was.

My problem with that $$$ figure is if Whit wants $22 million for those two final yrs ........sorry I would refuse to go down that road & seek other options to refurbishing the Rams OL in 2020.

Ram65

Legend
My problem with that $$$ figure is if Whit wants $22 million for those two final yrs ........sorry I would refuse to go down that road & seek other options to refurbishing the Rams OL in 2020.

What other options at LT?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What other options at LT?
Good Question my Ram Bud! You are a true ROD treasure(y):giggle:. Just need to stress here that I did not say other LT options .....my comments were other OL options. ;)

First I need to state that the Rams 2019 Ol graded out as one of the worse OL's in the NFL WITH Andrew Whitworth. So AW is no magic powerful "cure all" for this present OL weakness. It's difficult to field a much less effective OL in 2020 but without AW it could get worse. Binding up that $$$$ figure flv tossed out guesstimating $22 million of cap funds investment in AW would be unhinged.

My position on the Rams #1 goal & objective in 2020 off season...... to work to stabilize/fine tune/refurbish the overall OL effectiveness into the future. (For this below discussion will be without including Andrew Whitworth).

{Based on the fact that our planned 2020 starting LT Noteboom is unhealthy & it's highly questionable to count on him having much of a role in this OL in 2020. Add in he will be entering his last yr under contract in 2021. This team as yet had not yet seen Noteboom start @ LT yet either).

Option #1-
Make a long term move for securing the best UFA LT Anthony Castonzo. Castonzo is only 31 yrs old. He's one of the best pass-protecting OLT's in NFL. Castonzo has the ability to play in any scheme. If your throwing out mega millions of cap funds for a declining 39/40 yr old LT like AW sure would make much more sense to redo what the Rams Org. did in the 2017 off season when they secured a much younger AW in his late prime. When the Rams signed AW he was also threatening to retire. Snead hooked him in & it was an outstanding catch. I would suggest a 5 yr contract.

If Option #1..... fails I would then aim to combo @ least 2 of any of my 3 below listed options.

Option #2-
If option #1 fails. Pair the (yet unknown starting youthful) starting LT with the best available UFA OG to play right next to the inexperienced LT. My top veteran experienced 3 UFA LG prospects would start with 27 yr old Joe Thuney, 26 yr old Joe Haeg or lastly 28 yr old Brandon Scherff. The effect of signing a highly effective experienced pass blocking blind side LG would greatly assist the yet unknown young inexperienced LT.

Another good positive benefit & gain with option #2, involving Rams 2019 starting young LG Austin Corbett would increase Ram OL talent to contend @ starting center with Brian Allen/ Coleman Shelton/ Nate Trewyn/ Jeremiah Kolone. In addition, the 3rd yr OL Corbett would be an upgrade in replacing interior OL'ers OG Jamil Demby & starting RG/OC Austin Blythe who will no longer be part of the 2020 OL cadre.

Option #3-
Sign a veteran experienced starting center. My top two prospective UFA's would be #1- Ben Garland or #2- Conner McGovern.

Option #4-
Utilizing the Rams top 2020 draft selection on a pure LT.

In conclusion: If option #1 is off the table, I would aim for the combo of options #2 & #3. Combo of #2 & #4 is not far behind. The least effective options would be #3 & #4 which is a cap friendly cap move but would be less effective in reaching my primary goal.

Last edited: