What Patriots Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/1/2...ntage-of-los-angeles-rams-coverage-tendencies

Patriots can take advantage of the Rams coverage tendencies
The Patriots can force winnable match-ups in the Super Bowl.
By Rich Hill

The New England Patriots will have their hands full next week when they face the star-powered Los Angeles Rams defense. Los Angeles boasts a ferocious front line with All Pros in Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh, and they also have both 2016 First Team All Pro cornerbacks in Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib.

It’s not going to be easy for Tom Brady and company.

If New England is going to be able to pass the ball against the Rams, they’ll have to force the best match-ups for Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, and Phillip Dorsett- and the Rams have some defensive tendencies that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is sure to capitalize on.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1088825666857041925?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088825666857041925&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.patspulpit.com%2F2019%2F1%2F25%2F18197375%2Fsuper-bowl-53-new-england-patriots-can-take-advantage-of-los-angeles-rams-coverage-tendencies

There’s a lot to digest here, so let’s try to break it down.

The snap counts reveal that Rams cornerback Aqib Talib spends 93% of his snaps as left cornerback, covering the receiver that lines up on the right side of the offensive formation. Fellow Rams cornerback Marcus Peters spends 62% of his snaps on the left side and 28% of the right side, with the rest of the snaps in the slot. Nickell Robey-Coleman is the Rams’ slot cornerback and will always align in the slot when on the field.

The Rams have increased their usage of zone defense over the second half of the season, so that’s worth noting, too.

Based on this information, we can determine that the Rams are likely to keep Talib in the same position all game, which allows the Patriots to line up players for the sake of match-ups.

For example, the Patriots could use Chris Hogan in the same way they’ve used him all season- to clear space underneath for Edelman and James White- and just have Hogan run down the field against Talib on every snap. Hogan’s been targeted on a mere 12% of his routes, the lowest of the starting receivers on either team, and he’s used to this role.

Alternatively, the Patriots could try to flood the left side of the field with their star players and have James Develin trot out against Talib. That’d be a good use of resources.

The Patriots have a lot of options because their receivers are not pigeon-holed into a specific role. Julian Edelman spends 65% of his time in the slot and 35% of his time outside. Hogan has a relatively even split with 46% of snaps in the slot and 54% outside. Phillip Dorsett is actually most heavily used on the outside, where he spends 79% of his snaps, compared to 21% in the slot.

This means that the Patriots can motion their receivers all over the offensive formation until they get the favorable match-up they want. Any of those three can line up at any of the positions on offense, which is a distinct advantage to have over a zone defense in order to flood certain zones with too many receivers (ex. have multiple players in the slot) for the defenders to cover.

And if the Rams decide to revert back to man coverage, well, Rob Gronkowski and Sony Michel can take advantage of their favorable match-ups. The Rams allowed the second-most yards to tight ends in 2019 and ranked last in the league in yards allowed per rush.

On the other side of the ball, the Patriots should be able to continue with their man coverage that’s been so successful.

Rams receivers Brandin Cooks , Robert Woods, and Josh Reynolds are versatile and all have spent between 27%-53% of their time in the slot. Cooks spends 56% of his time on the left side and Reynolds spends 54% of his time on the right; Woods is the primary slot receiver at 53%.

Los Angeles loves moving the receivers around the formation to get favorable match-ups. And the Patriots should be able to respond.

Patriots cornerbacks Stephon Gilmore, J.C. Jackson, and Jason McCourty have been fairly balanced as they follow their receivers around the field. Gilmore has played 44% of his time on the defensive right and 36% on the defensive left; Jackson’s also an even split at 37% and 41%; and McCourty isn’t too different at 27% and 34%.

Now McCourty spends more time in the slot than the other cornerbacks, with 39% of his snaps versus 20% for Gilmore and 23% for Jackson. But the Patriots defensive backs are capable of covering players wherever they line up.

If I’m Brian Flores, I’d consider borrowing from last week’s play book against the Kansas City Chiefs and have Jonathan Jones (not included in this data) cover Brandin Cooks with Devin McCourty over the top. That would allow Gilmore to cover his former Bills teammate Woods all over the formation, while Jackson would defend Reynolds on the outside.

This excludes Jason McCourty from covering receivers, but the Patriots found a way to use McCourty as the sixth defensive back on the field instead of Duron Harmon. Jason McCourty still played 67% of the snaps against the Chiefs and could be used to cover the Rams’ tight ends Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett. This would subsequently free up Patrick Chung to cover the Rams running backs out of the backfield.

Both the Rams and the Patriots are coached by some of the most innovative minds in football, so any game plan won’t be “simple.” But I’m sure Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels are looking at the Rams’ defensive tendencies and formulating ways to take advantage of them.
--------------
Surprised they don’t move Talib around a bit as the gap between he and Peters seems fairly huge. Prior to reading this I was almost hoping they’d burn Talib by locking him up on Gronk (as we did with him when he shut down Jimmy Graham…I always liked Talib), figured they could run at him and wear him out for later in the game.

I gotta think they’re going to have some wrinkle on defense, allowing us to dictate who he covers by just placing him in one spot seems like blood in the water to me….
-------------
I'd bet
NE goes after Peters aggressively with the Edelman/Dorsett stack that has generated both of Dorsett’s touchdowns and Edelman’s wide open OT catch. It’s a nice wrinkle they’ve added since Gordon left. Brady just needs to protect the ball. The Rams’ secondary isn’t good enough to play man consistently, especially Peters, which is probably why they’ve played so much zone.
------------
Kinda similar to Sherman in the Seattle SB
Wherever Richard Sherman lined up was usually a pretty solid tipoff to whether they were in man or zone
-------------
I don’t think the Pats go small and put a DB on those TEs
That’s asking to get dominated in the run game, especially against a top O-line. I don’t know how LA uses its TEs, but I think the step down from Kelce is so huge there’s no reason to depart from a more conventional coverage strategy.

That means focus on the WRs and stopping the run. I also don’t think they double Cooks like that. He’s dangerous, but he just isn’t that much more dangerous than the other options. If they do give help over the top, he’ll be getting shoved around at the line for sure tho. I suspect the Pats will try to bully him as much as possible.
-------------
I think they should absolutely cover Cooks the same way they covered Hill.
They both are short, shifty, fast, and are at their most dangerous as a deep threat. I think it’s a good idea to keep Gilmore on Woods because Gilmore has a familiarity with him from their time with the Bills and while I think Cooks is a deep threat, I believe Woods is the more important receiver when it comes to moving the chains.

Putting Gilmore on Woods would make life more difficult for Goff, IMO. If they put Gilmore on Cooks with a safety then it’s too much resources dedicated to one player, but if they put Gilmore on Cooks 1-on-1 there is a greater risk of giving up a big play
-----------
Nobody seems to be acknowledging that there is a cost to doubling a WR
And that cost is paid in the run game, in the ability to blitz, and in the risk of giving up huge gains on things like wheel routes. There’s a limited number of players on defense.
----------
You are right. They will go mostly man
with a stacked box, Talib either on Gronk or Jules, being physical with the later at the LOS. Then Wade has to pray that Peters can hang with whomever he’s on. He’s a gifted corner but an utter knucklehead as well. Talib is a total gamer, so don’t look for any stupid PF penalties by Talib in a game where the stakes are so high.
-------------
you do not need to double Cooks
There should be basically no double teams at all this game. Certainly there will be coverages where you want a safety over the top so primary coverage can stop the deep curl. I want someone dropping into the deep middle a lot this game to rob the deep digs and crossers.

Woods is the best route runner, but not sure how fast he is. Probably want the best technician on Woods and the best speed with a height advantage on Cooks. No doubt with our experience with Cooks we’ll have a very clear plan how to defend him.

Priority #1 is stop the run. May actually see Devin in the box a lot to man up Gurley, unless we think Chung is fast enough. Either way, Gurley should never not be marked out of the backfield, and should be hit no later than when the ball arrives. He will get his touches even in limited snaps. Roberts on the field every time Anderson is.

I think this is going to be our first blowout SB win.
-------------
How many of us thought this last year too?
-------------
I wasn't one of them
I was actually concerned with Edelman not being available.
He was very important in the playoffs and helped Patriots win 2 Super Bowls.

Then after Cooks got himself knocked out, I was very worried.
He was a big part of the Patriots offense, and he was suddenly gone.

I was worried when Butler was benched and replaced with Eric Rowe after I read bad stuff about Rowe as a former Eagle that Eagles would take advantage of.

I was concerned that Nick Foles who was once a starting Eagles quarterback who threw 7 touchdown passes in a game would play great against the Patriots.
---------------
Don’t underestimate Wade Phillips. His 2016 AFC Championship game plan stacked the middle of the field and dared Tom to throw the ball outside the numbers. Part of me expects a similar game plan. Or a borrowed one from either the Lions game or the Titans’ game from earlier in the season. I’m not fearful of us losing. Just saying that at this time of year, EVERYTHING is in play.
-------------
I do think this Rams’ defense is suspect. But Wade is shrewd enough to come up with something.
-------------
That's what MANY teams try to do to defend Brady
The reason why it worked for Phillips in the 2015-16 AFC title game (barely) is because:
1) The Patriots had a beat-up, patchwork and in some cases inexperienced offensive line, and the Pats overall were something like the #3 team in the NFL that year for most injuries
2) Pats had no run game (see point 1, plus lack of RBs)
3) Denver led the league in sacks that year (LA is like 15th this year)
4) Denver was playing at home in a very loud environment that affected Patriot communications (SB shaping up to be 60% Pats fans)
5) There are numerous reports that Denver (Miller) deciphered the NE snap count, which yes is going to be a huge problem no matter who you face when it happens.

Patriots are miraculously healthy right now, and the offensive line is playing about as well as I’ve ever seen it play. I get that people still have nightmares about that AFC title game in Denver, but the situation is completely different for this game for any number of reasons.

Beyond that as far as the Rams offense goes, yeah, they’ve got talent, but I don’t know why anyone would be even remotely scared of them after what the Patriots just faced and where they faced it. The only thing I would really suspect is that the Rams may try to be patient with their run game, in a way that neither the Chargers nor the Chiefs were/could be. Gurley is a beast and CJ Anderson has been playing well, too (although neither did much in New Orleans).
-------------
You’d be a fool NOT to be "remotely scared" of what they can do on offense. I agree that our D is healthy and peeking at the right time however the Rams basically took Dallas’s D over their knee and made them look like a clown show. They are dangerous as hell if Goff is "on and CJ Anderson/Gurley are gashing the defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I’m Brian Flores, I’d consider borrowing from last week’s play book against the Kansas City Chiefs and have Jonathan Jones (not included in this data) cover Brandin Cooks with Devin McCourty over the top. That would allow Gilmore to cover his former Bills teammate Woods all over the formation, while Jackson would defend Reynolds on the outside.

This excludes Jason McCourty from covering receivers, but the Patriots found a way to use McCourty as the sixth defensive back on the field instead of Duron Harmon. Jason McCourty still played 67% of the snaps against the Chiefs and could be used to cover the Rams’ tight ends Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett. This would subsequently free up Patrick Chung to cover the Rams running backs out of the backfield.

Just to get this straight, they're going to go with 6 DBs against one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL? Is this guy forgetting that the Rams don't have to pass on every down?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://nesn.com/2019/01/patrick-chung-says-patriots-going-to-kick-rams-ass-in-super-bowl-liii/

Patrick Chung Says Patriots Going To ‘Kick’ Rams’ Ass In Super Bowl LIII

by Dakota Randall

Patrick Chung took the stage Sunday during the New England Patriots’ Super Bowl send-off rally, and his performance probably isn’t sitting well with Bill Belichick.

Chung began his speech simply enough, thanking Patriots fans for their support, starting a “Beat L.A.” chant and so on. But the Patriots safety went off the rails toward the end, at least by New England’s notoriously tight-lipped standards.

“We’re gonna go down there and kick their ass, baby,” Chung said.

View: https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1089561292153720832

Yeah, that probably wasn’t what Belichick wanted to hear.

The rally completed with a memorable speech from Tom Brady, who capped things off by starting a “we’re still here” chant and throwing the mic at an unsuspecting Scott Zolak.

Q729

Legend
Man, it's a shame that team feels disrespected.
Oh, and I'm glad TB isn't retiring next year.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Odd to read a Patriots fan talk about how they could use tendencies and formations to set up mismatches, then they go into how each Patriots defender would be best suited to this Rams player thereby shutting the Rams down..... Hello, they don’t think the movement, shifts and fakes the Rams do don’t do the same thing with creating mismatches?
Some of there Pats seem knowledgeable and fair minded in their evaluation of this match up but some seem to not have watched a single Rams game or even highlights! I really love the mention of We just handled the Chiefs Offense so the Ram’s O should be no problem.
I think that last Pats fan has this figured out in the fact the Rams are most likely going to really work on getting the run game going. If Gurley and CJ get off to a fast start this could be a very long day for the Pats similar to what happened to the Cowboys! If the run game is on, it opens everything up and I think McVay has been saving some gems for just this occasion. Not saying the Rams will win but I have high confidence in this team/coaches! I’m just as certain as the Patriots fans are!!

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is hilarious. How about we try this top-notch analysis:

"If you take away all the good plays Goff made this season, his stats indicate he is not a QB that should worry us."

Super info, bro!

We need a WTF emoji for posts like this ""If you take away all the good plays Goff made this season, his stats indicate he is not a QB that should worry us."

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...ms-superbowl-pre-game-analysis.1147118/page-8

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

The Rams are an east-west, outside zone play action team that operates out of 3WR.

I'm not positive, but I think the Eagles were a man blocking, north-south, zone read play action team that also operated out of 3WR.

The key differences are:

- The Eagles were power, the Rams are finesse
- The Eagles preferred running inside, the Rams prefer running outside
- The Eagles had zone read play action looks, a la the RPO. The Rams have classic under center play action and bootlegs.

In the passing game, outside of the play action, there are differences too. The Eagles are trying to beat you with spread passing concepts (Air Raid type stuff), and the Rams are trying to beat you with WCO type stuff. The Eagles were looking to body defenders with their big talented TE and WR (Ertz, Jeffrey) and spread the field with guys like Agholor and whoever was coming out of the backfield.

The Rams are looking for separation from their bevy of receivers via quickness and route running savy. They're more interested in stretching the field than spreading it, and they prefer reliable reads and routes for Goff instead of some of the cowboy stuff that the Eagles would get out of Wentz/Foles. They're also more interested in YAC than the Eagles.

Granted, there is a TON of overlap here, but I think that highlights the differences.
--------------
The defense and Belichick will be in the spotlight again. They gave up an explosive amount of points to the Eagles last year, and most recently the chiefs and now here comes a high powered Rams.
------------
I said earlier that the Pats defense matches up well against the Rams offense. Now I'm not so sure.

The Pats DL is really going to have their hands full trying to maintain gap responsibility. They are 29th in the league in YPA allowed, and they don't have the requisite athletes upfront to stay in front of the ball carrier, in my opinion.

In the passing game though, I like the Pats chances more. The Pats are going to tackle well, limiting YAC. They have the cover guys to stay with WRs downfield, and they have the hybrid guys to cover the slot well.

(My game prediction)

I don't foresee it becoming a slugfest though. Belichick will want to get out to a lead, so as to limit the usefulness of the Rams rushing attack that would prove deadly. The Rams are going to resist and try to maintain their rush/pass balance. I think it will work, but it will be a gambit. There will be some high scoring momentum in the first half.

In the second half, the Rams will try to slow thing down and grind it out, but the Pats will want to keep up the pace. Goff is going to make some mistakes and not keep up with the GOAT, right as the PA is losing its effectiveness heading into the 4th quarter. Pats win by a touchdown, with a score of 31-24.
-------------
Seems in years past, we had a big defensive tackle used to stop the run. We had Richard Seymour and Wilfork but now we don’t have that crucial run stopper. Maybe Hightower but his pursuit is off because he’s not as fast as he used to be.
-------------
Defensively, this is all about how well the Patriots can defend the Rams’ RBs. They’ve proven in the 1st 2 playoff games that they’re capable of handling receiving corps superior to what the Rams offer especially with Cooper Kupp out.

Can they stop the zone runs? But, mostly, if Gurley is healthy, can they defend him catching passes out of the backfield? A review of the AFCCG showed the Chiefs 2nd half offensive explosion was the result of getting Damien Williams involved in the passing game getting huge chunk plays on wheel routes.

There will be a different game plan and probably they won’t have to allocate as much attention to the Rams receivers as they did the Chiefs but how healthy Gurley is and how well they cover him is the key to winning this game.
------------
The big difference between the Chiefs and the Rams is that the Chiefs can beat you badly on offense even when your defense does everything right. On multiple plays the Patriots had Mahomes dead to rights and he could still scramble and hit something stupid like a sidearm falling throw off the back foot that was pinpoint accurate 30-50 yards away. Goff is not really that kind of player.
------------
My thought is this. You can ignore the Pats defensive 4.9YPC per rush just like you can ignore the Rams 5.1YPC per rush. In the Rams case they have turned a corner and in our case it is mostly scheme related.

Outside of the first 3 games of the year the Pats have done well against the run. The exceptions being Miami and Pitt which was just a bad stretch for whatever reason. Since then they have gotten back on track and have executed their 4-2-5 without letting the run get going too much.

The Pats defensive philosophy has been that it's okay to let a team run on you as long as they don't completely run over you. They are more interested in slowing down the passing game which is the correct thing to worry about.

I would expect the Patriots to continue the fairly solid run defense they have had most of the year and in the past 4 games while keeping their main focus on pass defense.

The Pats match up with the Rams offense well. Goff is mobile but not super mobile. He is a guy they can afford to pin their ears back and get after. They have been getting pressure the last 2 games and that should continue. Goff does badly with pressure. They also do well defending WRs.

As far as how the game will go it is impossible to say (but i like the Pats to win). It really all depends on Gurley. I hate to put it on one guy but that is just how important he is for their match up. RBs who can catch have always been an issue for the Patriots. It was against KC and frankly he was half the pass catcher Hunt was.

The good news is if worse comes to worse I think we can out score them.
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1087494171546583047?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1087494171546583047&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231087494171546583047

----------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088457354931105792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088457354931105792&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088457354931105792

------------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088569014576734209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088569014576734209&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088569014576734209

------------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088569315236958210?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088569315236958210&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088569315236958210

-------------
From a schematic point of view it seems like Patricia found a good way to shut down the Rams bread and butter but I wonder if we have the horses on our front to replicate that. Any opinion ?

Mostly wondering about EX fronts.
-----------
Well, they still scored 30 on the Lions. And, despite Harrison shutting down the inside run, the Lions still showed vulnerability on the edges. I think we'll see a few of these looks that Light describes, but I'm going to cop out and say it comes down to execution more than anything -- look at the Gurley TD run on OZ, for example, and tell me that the players maintained gap integrity.

If our guys get off blocks better (and the secondary isn't ignoring the handoff; #their 24 lacks awareness), then the run is a few yards instead of a walk in TD.
------------
I am reading that Aaron Donald is 280 lb. I know he is quick, but shouldn’t the Pats be able to run on a guy that size?
-------------
His size/speed is going to be neutralized by the element of surprise. He is not going to know who's going to block him every time we run. A good number of them will be wham blocks.

That's the genius of Scar and his elaborate blocking schemes. He puts a lot of work into devising them.
-------------
I agree, he’s an elite athlete no doubt but he’s giving up a lot of size to our interior O-Line. He’s almost deified as some sort of Lawrence Taylor defensive tackle reincarnation. I certainly agree he’s their best player and an elite talent no doubt, but he’s human and there are ways to neutralize him.

Confident BB and Josh are on top of it. I don’t think this vaunted Rams D-line has played an O-Line that’s playing as well as ours is right now either.
--------------
This is where I disagree with James Light- I doubt we'll see the EX front as a base because McVay/Goff have seen that before and are familiar with it. We may run it where the situation demands it, but for the most part, we are going to devise a base that Goff has never seen before and one which will continually throw Goff off.

There's more than one way to counter the OZ stuff Rams love to run.

EDIT: Now that I think about it some more, we may run the EX but with window dressing- disguise it, make it look like it's something else right up to the snap.
-------------
Simple: Stop the run, pressure Goff & keep their D on the field. They lack depth.

Ball Game.

We ARE going to win the SB.
-------------
The more I evaluate this matchup, the more I realize that the Rams recipe to beating us hinges on two things:

1. By far, its Gurley and his pass catching ability in the flat and on wheel routes.

2. Donald, Suh, and Brockers with their pass rush but I have confidence the OL will have a game plan keeping them off balance especially Donald.

Take care of the ball, force Goff into mistakes.

Philly presented matchup problems for us on defense especially with the personnel we had last season. That and the RPO offense which the Rams certainly arent wont be part of the equation, or will it? Lol.

In all our losses we didnt play particularly well leading up to the big game. Health wise (touch wood) and playing wise, we are peaking at the right time.
------------
Rams defense is 20th in points and 19 in yards. They arnt good.

The Saints have a better overall defense with a far better Quarterback.

The Rams are the easier opponent
------------
Aren’t good is a stretch, they’ve clearly played well in the playoffs by stopping the run and their DBs aren’t bad. We can score points but I don’t think we will just run all over them. We do have a chance to win by a wide margin if we can finally avoid that momentum flipping turnover.

I don’t think our defense will have a big problem with them, I can see us holding them between 10-17 points thus giving us the chance to open up a wider margin
--------------
In the 10 games with Talib, the Rams D is allowing 18.3 ppg, which would be 3rd in the league. An elite corner can make or break a defense, and the Rams D has been very good when Talib plays.
--------------
The Rams don't have an elite cornerback. They have a nutcase who cracks under pressure and Talib on the wrong side of this career.
-------------
Today’s Talib is not the Talib of 2013-16. He’s lost a step. And Marcus Peters just kind of sucks.
-------------
Peters really is a headcase. I think they put Robey-Coleman on Edelman, but would love for them to put Peters on him. Edelman would eat his lunch, get in his head, and probably bait him into an unsportsman-like penalty.

I thought KC was stupid for trading him but I think Peters is pretty clearly not the CB he used to be. Talib, while not the same as he was in Denver, is still a solid, physical CB. They don't have the ponies at LB or Safety to match Gronk so wouldn't doubt that we see Talib on Gronk (also see the link i posted about the Rams giving up a ton of yardage to TEs). Let's hope he doesn't do a Tony Gonzalez type performance back in Atlanta (Talib was so good back then).
-------------
Peters is the most overrated cb in the league.
He's not top 10, not even top 20.
JC Jackson is a better cb than Peters. Hell, it's an insult to JC to even be compared with Peters.
-------------
Probably the biggest X factor of this game is going to be the blocking schemes devised and implemented to neutralize Donald, Suh, et al. I see a lot of bellyaching in the other threads about what we're supposed to do- and this is what we'll do.

Here is a good example of a wham block scheme where the D-lineman is unsure where the block is coming from (probably was blocked by a different player from a different angle on the previous run) and this doesn't allow him to anchor well and square up, and as a result, he gets completely neutralized by Gronk in this clip.

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1089200825921142784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089200825921142784&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089200825921142784

If we execute well, this sets up the PA which Brady can use to devastating effect.
-------------

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1089195242136440833?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089195242136440833&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089195242136440833

-------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941528280637443?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941528280637443&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941528280637443

-----------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941530851827712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941530851827712&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941530851827712

------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941531808124929?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941531808124929&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941531808124929

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941532797902849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941532797902849&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941532797902849

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941529832534016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941529832534016&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941529832534016

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1089399427788242945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089399427788242945&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089399427788242945

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I wonder if Dallas feels the Rams are a “finesse” team?

It’s pretty much been one delusional fan base after another :dizzy:

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me roll up the previous 10 pages of content with a single post of what i will lable "WTF and all the assinine statements being made by NE Pat fans". It's sort of a Best of/worst of for those who don't have time to read through it all or those who would like to read the worst of the worst again. Thanks to all who have perused the Pat forums and shared the ignorance, closed mindedness, blatant homerism we come to expect from the Pat fans across the globe (mostly in NE).

We Stopped the #1 Offense for a Half and if we play a similar Half against the Rams minus our mistakes in the SB the game could be over by Half Time.

Statistically the Rams shouldn’t even be in the SB!
- LOL

IF Gilmore takes away Cooks the rest of our D can deal with the rest.
- LMAO

Go listen to Dickerson blathering on. You'll be able to generate some dislike after that.
- I love ED

I’ve legitimately never met a rams fan in the past 10 years.
- Because you have never left Foxboro

No one in LA is a Rams fan.
- WTF

I think this is going to be our first blowout SB win
- OK

With Gurley struggling with injury their offense is now limited.
- WTF

It will be critical to switch up the defense after Goffs ear speaker goes off to confuse him
- Lame and WTF

And Goff has not impressed in the postseason; he'll need to channel his inner Foles if the Rams are gonna have a chance.
- Lame and WTF

just another variation of what we've seen the last 2 weeks........however, the last 2 teams actually earned the opportunity to play the next game
- Lame and WTF

Mahomes > Goff. A lot.

I also think if we can rattle Goff he may not recover.
- Lame

All the Rams have is Donald (who is not of this earth).
- WTF and LMAO

I noticed he kind of panicked against the saints but maybe that’s because of the crowd noise.
- Lame

Rams gave up 51 to the chiefs
- And we won

LAR suck against the run; LAR LBs suck; LAR suck at defending TEs; Suh & Peters WILL be flagged for SOMETHING in this game, they just can’t help themselves; Pressure Goff. He will crack eventually; BALL GAME.
- WTF and lame

I know Brady isn't known for his running abilities. However, what do you think about some bootleg plays for Brady? Maybe catch the Rams off guard?
- OK, please let TB run

A plus side of playing the Rams is that the crowd in atlanta is going to be overwhelmingly Patriots fans. Rams fans were outnumbered in their own stadium in the Dallas playoff game, the week before the Super Bowl and the game itself is going to be dominated by New England fans.
- WTF and LMAO, no one outside of NE is a fan of the Pats (exception being the rare transplant and the more often fond bandwagoner)

Just wait for Cooks to catch a ball and run around in a circle until a patriots player hits him so hard he breaks his jaw...
- WTF?

I just saw something where the Pats put in 8 new plays on the morning of the KC game - used half of them and they all gained positive yardage. How do you prepare for a team that can do something like that? That's able to adapt and change itself that quickly?
- LOL

Biggest reasons I think they'll win this one - and possibly in big fashion:
They know most of the Rams star players pretty well already
Brady had his WTF? plays yesterday, they're out of his system
- WTF!

Someone wrote an article about this and said he’s noticed that Jared Goff at this point in his career has a problem with his internal clock when throwing. He throws the ball late a lot.
- WTF

The biggest knock against Goff is that he will only throw to something he can see (e.g., an open receiver), hence those late throws. He is also horrendous when under pressure.
- WTF

The big thing about Goff is he can’t think for himself. He has Mcvay detailing the defense and their coverage and what to do for the 15 seconds in his helmet and then he follows the script.
- WTF

Goff got really rattled in that stadium. He was panicky on a lot of throws.
- WTF

All they need to do is change up the look once the 15 second headset thing hits. He won’t be able to have McVay telling him the coverages.
- WTF

Kind of surprised by the Wade Phillips defenses have been good against the Pats. I guess if you consider 6-3 good then ok?
- Yeah, as someone else said, I would take 6-3

Personally, I’m expecting a blowout,
- WTF and LOL

Of course pressure will affect any QB, but it reaaaaally seemed to bother Goff.
- WTF

Goff looked shaky as hell in the playoffs, I was not particularly impressed
- WTF

Goff in reality is far closer to his first year Bust play than his more recent good play.
- WTF, really, WTF does this mean?

We are talking about how inefficient Goff can be be once McVay stops giving him instructions
- LOL oh and WTF

if we rattle him early and put pressure on him, it doesn't matter if it's McVay talking to him in the headset or someone else, we will win by a good margin.
- WTF oh and LMAO

I've seen Goff played horrid a number of times.
- In his first year maybe....WTF

this Rams defense is actually pretty bad, not just in comparison, but it's not good by 2019 NFL standards.
- LOL

Goff's been bad since the beginning of December. The NFL seems to have figured him out. He played horribly against the Saints and they were simply unable to make him pay.
- What Saints game did they watch? WTF

his is one of the three worst teams the Patriots have faced in a Super Bowl. Definitely the worst quarterback they've faced,
- ugh, their ignorance of Sir Goff is getting old

I’m the least concerned about their pass game, in fact not even remotely concerned.
- PERFECT, LOL and WTF

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
I feel sort of stupid. I never realized how much Aaron Donald sucked until I heard it from the Pat fans. Why didn't other teams take advantage of him? He's clearly some kind of midget weakling?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Is their 380lb left tackle fast enough to pull and block our fast linebackers? That's our "downfall" right? Fast but undersized linebackers. I think they can make it to a hole before that 380lb dude makes it across the line.

It will be interesting at least.

Last edited:

DrRage46

Rookie
Name
DrRage46
Well fellas it looks like we shouldn't even show up to the game.Its just gonna be a new England blowout.All our players suck and we wont be able to do anything to them.Should we all bow before the game when they introduce the Pat's lineup...Guess what Pat's theres a big surprise coming to ya.This is not gonna be a blowout and your facing a team that's gonna give you all you can handle.Can wait to hear and see there fans when were holding the trophy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...ms-superbowl-pre-game-analysis.1147118/page-8

Pats vs. Rams Superbowl pre-game analysis

The Rams are an east-west, outside zone play action team that operates out of 3WR.

I'm not positive, but I think the Eagles were a man blocking, north-south, zone read play action team that also operated out of 3WR.

The key differences are:

- The Eagles were power, the Rams are finesse
- The Eagles preferred running inside, the Rams prefer running outside
- The Eagles had zone read play action looks, a la the RPO. The Rams have classic under center play action and bootlegs.

In the passing game, outside of the play action, there are differences too. The Eagles are trying to beat you with spread passing concepts (Air Raid type stuff), and the Rams are trying to beat you with WCO type stuff. The Eagles were looking to body defenders with their big talented TE and WR (Ertz, Jeffrey) and spread the field with guys like Agholor and whoever was coming out of the backfield.

The Rams are looking for separation from their bevy of receivers via quickness and route running savy. They're more interested in stretching the field than spreading it, and they prefer reliable reads and routes for Goff instead of some of the cowboy stuff that the Eagles would get out of Wentz/Foles. They're also more interested in YAC than the Eagles.

Granted, there is a TON of overlap here, but I think that highlights the differences.
--------------
The defense and Belichick will be in the spotlight again. They gave up an explosive amount of points to the Eagles last year, and most recently the chiefs and now here comes a high powered Rams.
------------
I said earlier that the Pats defense matches up well against the Rams offense. Now I'm not so sure.

The Pats DL is really going to have their hands full trying to maintain gap responsibility. They are 29th in the league in YPA allowed, and they don't have the requisite athletes upfront to stay in front of the ball carrier, in my opinion.

In the passing game though, I like the Pats chances more. The Pats are going to tackle well, limiting YAC. They have the cover guys to stay with WRs downfield, and they have the hybrid guys to cover the slot well.

(My game prediction)

I don't foresee it becoming a slugfest though. Belichick will want to get out to a lead, so as to limit the usefulness of the Rams rushing attack that would prove deadly. The Rams are going to resist and try to maintain their rush/pass balance. I think it will work, but it will be a gambit. There will be some high scoring momentum in the first half.

In the second half, the Rams will try to slow thing down and grind it out, but the Pats will want to keep up the pace. Goff is going to make some mistakes and not keep up with the GOAT, right as the PA is losing its effectiveness heading into the 4th quarter. Pats win by a touchdown, with a score of 31-24.
-------------
Seems in years past, we had a big defensive tackle used to stop the run. We had Richard Seymour and Wilfork but now we don’t have that crucial run stopper. Maybe Hightower but his pursuit is off because he’s not as fast as he used to be.
-------------
Defensively, this is all about how well the Patriots can defend the Rams’ RBs. They’ve proven in the 1st 2 playoff games that they’re capable of handling receiving corps superior to what the Rams offer especially with Cooper Kupp out.

Can they stop the zone runs? But, mostly, if Gurley is healthy, can they defend him catching passes out of the backfield? A review of the AFCCG showed the Chiefs 2nd half offensive explosion was the result of getting Damien Williams involved in the passing game getting huge chunk plays on wheel routes.

There will be a different game plan and probably they won’t have to allocate as much attention to the Rams receivers as they did the Chiefs but how healthy Gurley is and how well they cover him is the key to winning this game.
------------
The big difference between the Chiefs and the Rams is that the Chiefs can beat you badly on offense even when your defense does everything right. On multiple plays the Patriots had Mahomes dead to rights and he could still scramble and hit something stupid like a sidearm falling throw off the back foot that was pinpoint accurate 30-50 yards away. Goff is not really that kind of player.
------------
My thought is this. You can ignore the Pats defensive 4.9YPC per rush just like you can ignore the Rams 5.1YPC per rush. In the Rams case they have turned a corner and in our case it is mostly scheme related.

Outside of the first 3 games of the year the Pats have done well against the run. The exceptions being Miami and Pitt which was just a bad stretch for whatever reason. Since then they have gotten back on track and have executed their 4-2-5 without letting the run get going too much.

The Pats defensive philosophy has been that it's okay to let a team run on you as long as they don't completely run over you. They are more interested in slowing down the passing game which is the correct thing to worry about.

I would expect the Patriots to continue the fairly solid run defense they have had most of the year and in the past 4 games while keeping their main focus on pass defense.

The Pats match up with the Rams offense well. Goff is mobile but not super mobile. He is a guy they can afford to pin their ears back and get after. They have been getting pressure the last 2 games and that should continue. Goff does badly with pressure. They also do well defending WRs.

As far as how the game will go it is impossible to say (but i like the Pats to win). It really all depends on Gurley. I hate to put it on one guy but that is just how important he is for their match up. RBs who can catch have always been an issue for the Patriots. It was against KC and frankly he was half the pass catcher Hunt was.

The good news is if worse comes to worse I think we can out score them.
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1087494171546583047?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1087494171546583047&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231087494171546583047

----------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088457354931105792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088457354931105792&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088457354931105792

------------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088569014576734209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088569014576734209&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088569014576734209

------------

View: https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/1088569315236958210?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088569315236958210&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088569315236958210

-------------
From a schematic point of view it seems like Patricia found a good way to shut down the Rams bread and butter but I wonder if we have the horses on our front to replicate that. Any opinion ?

Mostly wondering about EX fronts.
-----------
Well, they still scored 30 on the Lions. And, despite Harrison shutting down the inside run, the Lions still showed vulnerability on the edges. I think we'll see a few of these looks that Light describes, but I'm going to cop out and say it comes down to execution more than anything -- look at the Gurley TD run on OZ, for example, and tell me that the players maintained gap integrity.

If our guys get off blocks better (and the secondary isn't ignoring the handoff; #their 24 lacks awareness), then the run is a few yards instead of a walk in TD.
------------
I am reading that Aaron Donald is 280 lb. I know he is quick, but shouldn’t the Pats be able to run on a guy that size?
-------------
His size/speed is going to be neutralized by the element of surprise. He is not going to know who's going to block him every time we run. A good number of them will be wham blocks.

That's the genius of Scar and his elaborate blocking schemes. He puts a lot of work into devising them.
-------------
I agree, he’s an elite athlete no doubt but he’s giving up a lot of size to our interior O-Line. He’s almost deified as some sort of Lawrence Taylor defensive tackle reincarnation. I certainly agree he’s their best player and an elite talent no doubt, but he’s human and there are ways to neutralize him.

Confident BB and Josh are on top of it. I don’t think this vaunted Rams D-line has played an O-Line that’s playing as well as ours is right now either.
--------------
This is where I disagree with James Light- I doubt we'll see the EX front as a base because McVay/Goff have seen that before and are familiar with it. We may run it where the situation demands it, but for the most part, we are going to devise a base that Goff has never seen before and one which will continually throw Goff off.

There's more than one way to counter the OZ stuff Rams love to run.

EDIT: Now that I think about it some more, we may run the EX but with window dressing- disguise it, make it look like it's something else right up to the snap.
-------------
Simple: Stop the run, pressure Goff & keep their D on the field. They lack depth.

Ball Game.

We ARE going to win the SB.
-------------
The more I evaluate this matchup, the more I realize that the Rams recipe to beating us hinges on two things:

1. By far, its Gurley and his pass catching ability in the flat and on wheel routes.

2. Donald, Suh, and Brockers with their pass rush but I have confidence the OL will have a game plan keeping them off balance especially Donald.

Take care of the ball, force Goff into mistakes.

Philly presented matchup problems for us on defense especially with the personnel we had last season. That and the RPO offense which the Rams certainly arent wont be part of the equation, or will it? Lol.

In all our losses we didnt play particularly well leading up to the big game. Health wise (touch wood) and playing wise, we are peaking at the right time.
------------
Rams defense is 20th in points and 19 in yards. They arnt good.

The Saints have a better overall defense with a far better Quarterback.

The Rams are the easier opponent
------------
Aren’t good is a stretch, they’ve clearly played well in the playoffs by stopping the run and their DBs aren’t bad. We can score points but I don’t think we will just run all over them. We do have a chance to win by a wide margin if we can finally avoid that momentum flipping turnover.

I don’t think our defense will have a big problem with them, I can see us holding them between 10-17 points thus giving us the chance to open up a wider margin
--------------
In the 10 games with Talib, the Rams D is allowing 18.3 ppg, which would be 3rd in the league. An elite corner can make or break a defense, and the Rams D has been very good when Talib plays.
--------------
The Rams don't have an elite cornerback. They have a nutcase who cracks under pressure and Talib on the wrong side of this career.
-------------
Today’s Talib is not the Talib of 2013-16. He’s lost a step. And Marcus Peters just kind of sucks.
-------------
Peters really is a headcase. I think they put Robey-Coleman on Edelman, but would love for them to put Peters on him. Edelman would eat his lunch, get in his head, and probably bait him into an unsportsman-like penalty.

I thought KC was stupid for trading him but I think Peters is pretty clearly not the CB he used to be. Talib, while not the same as he was in Denver, is still a solid, physical CB. They don't have the ponies at LB or Safety to match Gronk so wouldn't doubt that we see Talib on Gronk (also see the link i posted about the Rams giving up a ton of yardage to TEs). Let's hope he doesn't do a Tony Gonzalez type performance back in Atlanta (Talib was so good back then).
-------------
Peters is the most overrated cb in the league.
He's not top 10, not even top 20.
JC Jackson is a better cb than Peters. Hell, it's an insult to JC to even be compared with Peters.
-------------
Probably the biggest X factor of this game is going to be the blocking schemes devised and implemented to neutralize Donald, Suh, et al. I see a lot of bellyaching in the other threads about what we're supposed to do- and this is what we'll do.

Here is a good example of a wham block scheme where the D-lineman is unsure where the block is coming from (probably was blocked by a different player from a different angle on the previous run) and this doesn't allow him to anchor well and square up, and as a result, he gets completely neutralized by Gronk in this clip.

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1089200825921142784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089200825921142784&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089200825921142784

If we execute well, this sets up the PA which Brady can use to devastating effect.
-------------

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1089195242136440833?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089195242136440833&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089195242136440833

-------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941528280637443?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941528280637443&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941528280637443

-----------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941530851827712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941530851827712&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941530851827712

------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941531808124929?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941531808124929&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941531808124929

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941532797902849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941532797902849&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941532797902849

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ZachSDunn/status/1088941529832534016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088941529832534016&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231088941529832534016

--------------

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1089399427788242945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1089399427788242945&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231089399427788242945

There's actually some interesting stuff in there. But I laughed really hard at this guy:
"I am reading that Aaron Donald is 280 lb. I know he is quick, but shouldn’t the Pats be able to run on a guy that size?"

That's like saying, "I am reading that Tom Brady is slow. I know he's a good thrower, but should the Rams be able to just all-out blitz a guy that slow?" I wish them luck if they think they can bully Donald.

Here's another interesting post:
"His size/speed is going to be neutralized by the element of surprise. He is not going to know who's going to block him every time we run. A good number of them will be wham blocks."

Well, you're playing with fire there. The danger in those wham blocks is you're counting on Donald being confused/hesitant. If Donald decides to pin his ears back, he's so quick off the snap that he can knife into the backfield and hit your HB when he's receiving the handoff before your wham block can even get close to him. With how intelligent Donald is, odds are that he catches on quickly if you're trying to wham him and starts pinning his ears back.

Also, they mention pulling the backside tackle to prevent Donald from being able to disrupt those running plays. I believe we saw Dallas and NO try do that. Problem is that Fowler Jr. runs a 4.5 40 and has the ability to run those plays down from the backside if you leave him unblocked.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well fellas it looks like we shouldn't even show up to the game.Its just gonna be a new England blowout.All our players suck and we wont be able to do anything to them.Should we all bow before the game when they introduce the Pat's lineup...Guess what Pat's theres a big surprise coming to ya.This is not gonna be a blowout and your facing a team that's gonna give you all you can handle.Can wait to hear and see there fans when were holding the trophy.
Where have I heard that before? Oh right, just before all 15 wins this season. Also right before the losses, but it at this point it's just spray and pray idiocy, so I won't give them credit.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, this is what happens when you win a few Super Bowls. Your fans become intolerably spoiled and over-confident.

My son is a NE fan and he's the same way.

Probably best to ignore their bombastic claims all week. Their players will be much more respectful... as will Rams players. I'll just concentrate on what they have to say.

These NE fans aren't worth sifting through hundreds of posts to find one objective thought.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://nesn.com/2019/01/patrick-chung-says-patriots-going-to-kick-rams-ass-in-super-bowl-liii/

Patrick Chung Says Patriots Going To ‘Kick’ Rams’ Ass In Super Bowl LIII

by Dakota Randall

Patrick Chung took the stage Sunday during the New England Patriots’ Super Bowl send-off rally, and his performance probably isn’t sitting well with Bill Belichick.

Chung began his speech simply enough, thanking Patriots fans for their support, starting a “Beat L.A.” chant and so on. But the Patriots safety went off the rails toward the end, at least by New England’s notoriously tight-lipped standards.

“We’re gonna go down there and kick their ass, baby,” Chung said.

View: https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1089561292153720832

Yeah, that probably wasn’t what Belichick wanted to hear.

The rally completed with a memorable speech from Tom Brady, who capped things off by starting a “we’re still here” chant and throwing the mic at an unsuspecting Scott Zolak.

Love this!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Time to play Nurmagomedov to their MacGregor...

Take them down, ground and pound them...

And then, when they're on the mat between rounds trying to say, "it's only business", we can just put them in a neck crank so freakin' nasty that you feel a little queasy watching it.

As long as we don't run into the stands, we'll be fine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
-------------

-------------

ROFL, yeah we haven't heard that for his entire career, how's that worked out so far?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have a simple case or wonderment with a few of these Pats' fans comments...

I am reading that Aaron Donald is 280 lb. I know he is quick, but shouldn’t the Pats be able to run on a guy that size? OUCH, that hurt !!!
-------------

1. That's mys 1st BIG problem...This is brilliant...Can't believe no other NFL D coor. has thought of this, it's so easy and simple...

2. Take away all his good plays and Goff is not anybody to be scared of...WHOA !!! Let me do a little replacement exercise here...Using the same thought process, replace Goff with Brady, Mahomes, Luck, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees, Wilson et, al. and you seem to have made the same observation...This guy should stop to see a mental health professional before this Sunday...I pretty sure that if you take away all the good plays of any QB, he becomes somebody you need not be afraid of !!! Oh, stop, I'm laughing so hard I'm cramping up...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.patsfans.com/new-englan...oll-how-confident-are-you-about-sb53.1147247/

Poll: How Confident are you about SB53?

1. Very Confident - Pats win easily
    20 vote(s)
    16.3%

2. Cautiously Optimistic - Pats should win but the Rams present challenges
    60 vote(s)
    48.8%

3. Neutral - Neither confident or unconfident
    28 vote(s)
    22.8%

4. Somewhat Pessimistic - Rams should win but not surprised if NE wins
    8 vote(s)
    6.5%

5. Not confident at all - Rams win easily
    7 vote(s)
    5.7%
-------------------------------
Terrified... The nerves and excitement. I want this team to succeed so badly
--------------
Like our chances I mean Mahomes is better then Goff and Hill is better then Cooks, their d line is what concerns me tho and that secondary.
-----------
Cautiously Optimistic
-our defense is capable of shutting them down as long we stop the run.
-our offense doesn’t have to be dominant, just avoid the big turnover, get a TD in the first quarter for once and be creative in wearing them down in the first half, not just running Sony repeatedly. Lots of ways to do that.
------------
Our first blowout win. 38-20. Easy peasy.
-----------
I will say I am only this confident because our offensive line is playing absolutely balls to the wall right now. They're insane. IF they keep up the level of play we've seen from them the last two playoff games we're blowing these guys out. If the Rams DL lives up to their name and gives us fit it'll be a bit closer but I still think we win
-----------
To me the matchup between Pats OL vs Rams DL will decide the game.
------------
Very confident. I think the Patriots will lead by 10-14 for most of the game and win it by 7.
------------
I feel pretty good about their chances/motivation/ability to execute and control the game.

Michel has added a dynamic to this team that makes them even more versatile and efficient.

Goff is good, but he doesn't scare me too much, and who knows how effective TG will be.

I still think Cooks is good, but he can be contained, especially by a team that knows him from a year of practice/play.

The only "scary" aspect is if Donald goes OFF, that could certainly change things.

All in all, I like their chances.
------------
I'm quite confident because of health, the O line play and our running game. We have both Gronk and Allen relatively healthy. Together with Devlin, I think the trio will be a big part of neutralizing Donald with wham blocks. I think we can tire their D. If we can play mistake free football, I think we could win comfortably. Even Elandon Roberts is making plays.
-----------
Last year, I talked myself into being ****y and over confident, ignoring the fact that the RPO was a problem for that team. While this year's team is firing on all cylinders at the right time, I have to look at the sins of earlier in the year and take that into consideration.

The trendy term of recency bias applies. While I can look at the wins over San Diego the Chargers and KC and think "They've beaten the two best teams already", I have to look at the fact that the DL of the Rams poses unique problems for this unit.

I think this team plays to the level of competition. They play best against better opponents. In the end, I thought it was KC's year and they beat them. I just don't see a pissed off Tom Brady losing. Put me down as Cautiously Optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to play until the last possession, like they always do. Nor would I be surprised if they control the game throughout.

I just wish it was Sunday already.
------------
f*ck the rams
----------
I’d rate my confidence at 7 out of 10
----------
Level of anticipation: MAX
Level of worry: ZERO
Confidence: HIGH
----------
They have no shot against that D-line.
-----------
People talk about the Rams defense, especially their D line. Yet they gave up 5.1 ypc, and gave up 59 more points than the Pats. That being said, I'm always nervous, always cautious, always worried. I worry about playing three straight great games in a row (very difficult to repeat so many good games in a row, even 3).

I really want this game so bad, especially for Brady, Belichick, and the whole team. Everyone has counted this team out all year, so I want this one bad.
------------
I like their chances but the Rams can beat them if they play a great game and the Pats don’t play as well as they have in the playoffs.
-------------
Cautiously optimistic.

We have BB. We have TB. We know we'll be in the game until the end at the very worst. We also know that we will have a good game plan.

The team has been playing great in the playoffs. The OL has been dominant and the D has done its job.

There is no reason NOT to be confident. However, the Rams are a formidable opponent who can cause problems for us on D and on O. They have a great DL and a balanced attack. They WILL be a tough opponent.

Do I think we will win? Yes! Will it be easy? No! Would it be an upset if we lost? No!
-----------
Like our chances with this team's newfound "play off mode".

Still expecting the winner to be decided in the fleeting seconds with some crazy-ass moments. That's how they seemingly live and die in these games.
----------
Our OL hasn't given up a sack all post season. Our kicker hasn't missed a kick or XP all post season. These things worry me.
-----------
For some reason, we don’t show up in the super bowl until late in the game. Last year only one half of the team showed up. The defense got burned on almost every play.
----------
I can't convince myself that the Rams are a tougher team on a neutral site than the Chiefs were in Arrowhead.

Their actual defensive performance (#20 in points allowed) was barely better than the Chiefs (#24). The Chiefs had 52 sacks in 2018 and did nothing to faze Brady, but I'm supposed to be terrified of a Rams team that got 41? A Rams team that was #32 (!!!) in yards per rushing attempt given up?

And Goff is not not not in the same class as Mahomes. Cooks is not not not in the same class as Hill. Is anybody taking Woods over Kelce? Gurley being better than the Chiefs RBs does not feel like it counters all that.

The only reason I'm not more than cautiously optimistic is that any given Sunday you never know which team will show up on either side. If the D just lays an egg like it did against the Eagles then all bets are off. If the offense has a bunch of unforced turnovers the Rams could easily win a blowout. But if the Pats team that played the Chargers and the Chiefs shows up, the Rams are gonna be spit-roasted, thinly sliced and served in gyros.
-----------
I would love to see a comfortable SB win for once. But this team always has nail bitters in this game !! I am nervous as hell but that's no difference from any other SB for me and it's only going to get worse as the week goes on .
----------
They’ve trailed in the 4th quarter in 7 of 9 SBs.

They just won their first road playoff game in 12 years - with a team that went 3-5 on the road during the regular season.

I have no idea.
-----------
I do wonder if the Pats deficiency against the run will rear its head again. Gun to my head right now I think the Pats win a close one.

All of this goes out the window if Belichick unexpectedly benches a starter before the game.
----------
I hate predictions. However I have some confidence this year because we are healthy (keep fingers crossed and no jinx).

I think the key to the game is a healthy dose of White and Michael/Burkhead (to keep the defense honest). The best way to beat a dominant D-line is bubble passes and screens. Hopefully by the middle of the 3rd quarter their D line is fatiguing and then we unleash the Gronk on them.

But I think the key is to do what they did against KC. Keep the ball in Brady's hand, and chew lots of clock. Get that defense tired. It worked against Seattle and Atlanta (and KC) as Brady was nearly unstoppable at the end of the game . If Brady and the Patriots can limit (hopefully to zero) the turnovers, and keep the time of possession in their favor, I think our chances are good as it forces the Rams away from the run game.
-----------
I think the Pats have proved the last two playoff games that they aren't f***ing around. You've seen it with Edelman flipping a switch and catching anything coming his way after his struggles this season. Gronk will also make a big grab when he absolutely has to. The running game has been great and the Defense has played well despite teams scoring late in games.

This will the first time this current Rams team will be in the Super Bowl. I don't think anyone on their team has been to a Super Bowl before unless you count Cooks who got knocked out within the first minutes of the game. I could seem coming out with the "deer in the headlights" look the '03 Panthers did in the first half.

I expect the Pats to do exactly what they did against the Cheifs and Chargers on offense. Establish the run, tire out the D line and keep the Rams O off the field. I also think the defense game plan will be first to stop their zone blocking run scheme and come after Goff on 3rd and longs like they did with Rivers.
-----------
Rams also have Talib, Anderson and Shields, but yeah, SB experience is a hilarious mismatch between the two teams.

Seasoned Patriots Have Hilariously More Super Bowl Experience Than Rams
------------
My biggest worry is Donald, he can take games over on his own. He's a destroyer, i can see Brady using different snap counts to try and unsettle him.

Then there's Suh...

Andrew, Thuney, Mason are going to have to be at their very best to stop these two destroying the game. Brady won't be able to climb the pocket like he normally does.
-----------
Depends on where the sacks came from. Are KC's sacks from edge or interior pressure? What about LAR's? If the primary source of sacks are different I don't think a simple numbers comparison holds much water.

So, for example, if NE is great against edge rushers but less good against interior pressure and if most of KC's sacks come from the edge but most of LA's comes up the middle, then yeah, you should be more worried about LA's rush.
----------
We’re going to beat the rams silly.
----------
I prefer to face Goff and the newb coach than Brees and Peyton. I hope the bright lights and the big stage will do them a number.
-----------
I was extremely confident in the pats following the afc championship game.

But now I’m very concerned about the Rams d line. Really hope it’s not a game of watching Tom get abused from interior pressure
------------
Cautiously ... Aaron Donald, Suh and an embarrassed Gurly are hurdles.
However they are rather smallish on defense and not well rounded - we should win.