What if Sean McVay is really an asshole?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I posted this in another thread.

I feel fortunate that McVay is our head coach, and Snead is our GM.

That being said, I would be OK if Stan Kroenke did an interview tomorrow and said ‘Right now, Sean McVay is our head coach; and Les Snead is our GM but it’s only January 28th and everything is on the table.’

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/8sZXkUPVwka3u/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/i4rRvYDXQeCcGcPhib/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/WiyczarN2XMm4/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/1msK2aCNYvHiCUmaGz/giphy.gif

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/U6kTpJ6GIEZ0jdBhNb/giphy.gif

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I agree with that. I think he's hard on the players too though, at least in terms of being a coach who holds them to task on film day. Not to embarrass but to get it out there and clear where the improvements will come.

But I also think he's growing as a head coach. I'm seeing more aggression, more fire. Like with the refs, press conferences, a lot of shit.

Imo this isn't growth, it's McVay stressing out. And it's not a good thing.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
giphy.gif

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Imo this isn't growth, it's McVay stressing out. And it's not a good thing.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing, too.

Either he's growing as a head coach or...

The stress is getting to him.

Hell, I'll vote for both.

TexasRam

Legend
Lol, I was thinking the same thing, too.

Either he's growing as a head coach or...

The stress is getting to him.

Hell, I'll vote for both.
I personally think its stress that could result in alot of growth. I think he is trying to cover for a mispeak that was spoken during one of the toughest moments of the season, when you lose your final game and get bounced from the postseason.

Putting a Mic in front of these coaches after a huge loss is good drama and ratings for the NFL but commonly tears teams apart because composure and perspective is difficult. Even Mcvay said he needs to decompress and look at the big picture before answering certain questions. It's these stupid reporters like Gary that keep forcing words out before Mcvay has a chance to really consider the best approach to the offseason and how to phrase it correctly.

Snead is trying to help cover for Mcvay by stating the same "right now" line. He thought it would lesson the impact but really its backfired. Anyone following the Rams are very familiar with how Mcvay phrases things and he let the Rabbit out of the hat because he was distracted with the loss.

It happens. Oh well. Mcvay will learn how to manage failure and loss in the future and become better for it. No one is perfect. But these words can't be taken back. If he does believe in Goff there will need to be some one to one damage control otherwise Goff will lose respect for Mcvay. But my hunch is he thinks he is a genius and it's Goff holding him back, so he will not be apologizing. That's fine. We will see If he was right soon enough.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think he's stressed out.

I think he's gotten much more clear what he wants the offense's identity to be and what it will take to get there.

Also, we're missing something. There's a behind the scenes variable that we aren't privy to that pushed this. It wasn't JUST the turnovers, although that clearly burned McVay's ass.

It was something else. I won't speculate, but it was clearly enough that Snead didn't sit McVay down and tell him that he'd have to live with Goff for a year or more before they could consider a move.

It was enough that as the GM of the Rams, he doubled down on McVay's double down (quadruple downed?) that Goff was the Rams QB "right now" or "as of today".

I don't think McVay's an asshole or anything else.

I think between the play on the field and something or somethings off the field, McVay has become done with Goff.

And even with that, he might still come back. Would Goff play through it? You damn right as he'd be playing for his next contract and being traded to potentially a better team. Every week is an audition in the NFL now. And McVay would do his utmost to win because that's his job... ESPECIALLY next year.

But I don't think McVay's an asshole. Not in the popular context of giving undeserved grief or being overly particular for capricious reasons...

TexasRam

Legend
I don't think he's stressed out.

I think he's gotten much more clear what he wants the offense's identity to be and what it will take to get there.

Also, we're missing something. There's a behind the scenes variable that we aren't privy to that pushed this. It wasn't JUST the turnovers, although that clearly burned McVay's ass.

It was something else. I won't speculate, but it was clearly enough that Snead didn't sit McVay down and tell him that he'd have to live with Goff for a year or more before they could consider a move.

It was enough that as the GM of the Rams, he doubled down on McVay's double down (quadruple downed?) that Goff was the Rams QB "right now" or "as of today".

I don't think McVay's an asshole or anything else.

I think between the play on the field and something or somethings off the field, McVay has become done with Goff.

And even with that, he might still come back. Would Goff play through it? You damn right as he'd be playing for his next contract and being traded to potentially a better team. Every week is an audition in the NFL now. And McVay would do his utmost to win because that's his job... ESPECIALLY next year.

But I don't think McVay's an asshole. Not in the popular context of giving undeserved grief or being overly particular for capricious reasons...
I agree. I don’t think at all Mcvay is an asshole. And I really agree he thinks Goff is his problem rather than seeing the Oline deficiencies and play calling deficiencies. He may be right. Maybe a mobile QB would really open up his system.

I think the question “Is Goff your QB?” Is a tough question because he might want to consider other options and feel lying about that would be used against him in the future if Goff was traded.

But I think the moment in which he answered the question was a tough one. Just came off a season ending loss. He might have phrased it differently if he had decompressed first.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But in that vein, would it not be fair for Stan to call McVay into his office now and speak with him a little about the current situation with Goff?

Speaking of Kroenke; his involvement as an owner could be simply a P&L mindset... doesn‘t care the road travelled, just the results.

Intervening on contracts is road travelled.

Stan appears operating a level above that, maybe?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This.

It can’t be that simple, 13 INT in 15 games... not it.

jjab360

Legend
I have no idea what you're talking about tbh. All the clips and soundbites of him out there and I still haven't seen one of him being rude, arrogant, disrespectful, etc.

TexasRam

Legend
I have no idea what you're talking about tbh. All the clips and soundbites of him out there and I still haven't seen one of him being rude, arrogant, disrespectful, etc.

I don't think anyone is arguing he was rude or arrogant. It think the point is his statement that Goff is our QB "right now". It is non committal language. He followed that up with coach speak that every position will be evaluated. Snead piped in with the same. Snead actually went into greater detail pointing out the offense has to get better and Goff struggled in the middle of the season after a hot start and turned the ball over too much during that time.

The point is Mcvay in 4 years have never used terminology like this regarding Goff. Combine this with his comments in pressers after Goff's turnover game vs the Niners and.... well connect the dots. Something has changed. We could be wrong but also look at the face of Mcvay when Wolford played. It's admittedly speculation but when the fly's start biting rain is comin, as they say in the south.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Our impression of Sean McVay is dictated by the public image that has been cultivated by the Rams and the media. He's a young, enthusiastic, smart, football prodigy who has taken the league by storm, rejuvenated a long-suffering franchise, come within a whisker of a championship, and launched the career of several of his deputies.

But is that really who Sean McVay is?

For the record, my personal answer is I DON'T KNOW.

That said... are there asshole indicators we're overlooking. We've seen, for example, some Belichickian subterfuge and misdirection when it comes to the status of injured players and, when questioned about it... Sean has been less than forthcoming.

Did I say less than forthcoming? Hell, he outright lied. He told us there was nothing wrong with Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald, respectively, as they sat on the sideline for much of the 2018 NFC Championship game and this year's divisional round matchup. Does he think we're idiots? That's kind of an asshole move, if you think about it.

And what about all those departures? Sure, most of them can be filed under "career advancement," but maybe some of them just didn't much care for working under McVay?

And what about that fiance of his? Stringing her along... not committing... I mean, her biological clock is ticking (THUMP, THUMP, THUMP) and if she has to wait until Sean wins a Super Bowl, she maybe ain't never gonna get married!

I'm, of course, being a bit facetious here, but you never know. Maybe Sean's not such a nice guy. Maybe he's an asshole.

Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing for the team. Belichick is an asshole. A lot of great coaches are.

Maybe Sean is one too.
I guessing the purpose of understating Gurley’s and Donald’s injuries were to not give an advantage to the upcoming opponents.

TexasRam

Legend
I guessing the purpose of understating Gurley’s and Donald’s injuries were to not give an advantage to the upcoming opponents.
haha, yea that was a funny post by Avenger.

Motivation. Why did he lie about injury? Easy. Strategic advantage. Why Coaches leave? Pay raise. Career advancement. Now if they were all lateral moves then you are maybe on to something.

Now he needs to man up on the girl, lets go big dog, take the plunge. Your gonna be single and kidless if you don't get this show on the road. Your gonna have a hard time catching up to Phillip Rivers if you don't start moving.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rather he be a successful asshole than a unsuccessful nice guy.
giphy.gif

Thread winner

"If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she's ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can't play a lick. Same thing."
-Charles Barkley

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. I don’t think at all Mcvay is an asshole. And I really agree he thinks Goff is his problem rather than seeing the Oline deficiencies and play calling deficiencies. He may be right. Maybe a mobile QB would really open up his system.

I think the question “Is Goff your QB?” Is a tough question because he might want to consider other options and feel lying about that would be used against him in the future if Goff was traded.

But I think the moment in which he answered the question was a tough one. Just came off a season ending loss. He might have phrased it differently if he had decompressed first.
As far as who McVay thinks is at fault, I believe he also adds to the calculation of where he wants the CAP spent. He doesn't want to break the bank on Oline for anyone but the LT. We have a bunch of ok linemen, but it doesn't seem to be a priority to spend high draft picks for this group, let alone FA's in their prime. He wants a LT who can pass protect and a mobile QB who can aid the marginal Oline by scrambling, so McSnead can spend draft capital on acquiring guys like Ramsey in trade and resigning skill players. Even though McVay was hired precisely because he convinced upper management/Kroenke how excited he was to work with/develop Jared Goff and was OK with him in the first couple of years, that seems to have changed....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everybody is an asshole.

Especially audio guys.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I don't think he's stressed out...

...But I don't think McVay's an asshole. Not in the popular context of giving undeserved grief or being overly particular for capricious reasons..."

I think what Goff supporters are saying of what is happening is similar to the HC version in Marty Schottenheimer's firing in San Diego after a 14-2 season (really after 3 winning seasons). Jared is 42-20 as the Rams QB since 2017, the record of which normally wouldn't get a QB fired, but that feels like what is happening. I think McVay has romantic ideas about what Wolfy is capable of and so he thinks he can dump Jared and his contract so that he can get more toys for the offense. Maybe that's not totally fair, but whatever...

It's a BIG Mistake, imo.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think what Goff supporters are saying of what is happening is similar to the HC version in Marty Schottenheimer's firing in San Diego after a 14-2 season (really after 3 winning seasons). Jared is 42-20 as the Rams QB since 2017, the record of which normally wouldn't get a QB fired, but that feels like what is happening. I think McVay has romantic ideas about what Wolfy is capable of and so he thinks he can dump Jared and his contract so that he can get more toys for the offense. Maybe that's not totally fair, but whatever...

It's a BIG Mistake, imo.

I can see why Goff defenders would feel that way. I don't.

Either the Rams are moving on from Goff for an upgrade or they keep him and make him earn his place and put him behind the gun.

My eldest is like that. He gets comfortable and things go to pot. If he's a bit uncomfortable, he knocks himself out to get everything done.

I will say that I want a clear upgrade (that excludes Stafford et al and really only leaves Watson or mayyyybe Rodgers, but I think Rodgers is 1/100th of the chance of Watson and that's not a great chance) or I want Goff to return, rise to the challenge and lead this team.

I really don't think it's so much that McVay is salivating after Wolford moreso that McVay really respects off schedule playmaking and Goff really struggles with that. It was okay in 2018 because the team was rolling and Goff was making incredible plays. However as the OL declined, Goff needed to be able to step up and make those off schedule plays and he hasn't.