What if Sean McVay is really an asshole?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One thing that keeps coming up in this conversation is that he has high expectations for his subordinates, as he should. But in that vein, would it not be fair for Stan to call McVay into his office now and speak with him a little about the current situation with Goff?

Maybe something like:

"Hey Sean, two years ago you were banging the table for this guy to get an extension. We already extended Todd and Brandin and they're gone, but the money I paid them is still counting against our cap. I understand those guys had medical issues, but Jared doesn't. I paid him to play at a high level, but I also extended you and pay you to make things work. And if things aren't working with the QB, are you doing everything you can to make it work, Sean? Are you and other players around him fault-free in this manner, or is there something else that could be done to give us a clearer picture? Because I'm honestly getting tired of dumping guys two years after we extend them at your request."

A lot of people here would be pissed for an owner interfering like this, but Stan writes the checks and has every right to ask McVay why his big deals for these guys keep going south. In Gurley's and somewhat in Cook's case he can cite medical reasons, but he has no such excuse with Goff. Nor can he say he's done everything within his power to make things work for Goff, who we have seen play at a very high level when conditions were better. And I tell you, if I was an owner and a coach gave up on a relatively young QB too soon, after extending him at the coach's behest, I'd be pissed. I'd be doubly pissed if that QB went on to another team and did well, which is possible for Goff under a number of scenarios.

In short, I don't care if Sean is an asshole or not, and I'm glad he holds his players to high standards. But he needs to do the same for himself, and in this Goff situation, I simply don't think he is.

Bearrister

Rookie
Big difference between a tough boss and an asshole boss. Tough bosses challenge, push and mentor. Asshole bosses complain, insult and provide no mentoring. I’ve had both and there’s a big difference.

Yes this is a critical thing that we need to do for this discussion. How are we defining “asshole” in this context? Many of us may not be using that term in the same way. Demanding and high standards are fine.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really care if he's an asshole or not. Asshole-ishness or the lack thereof doesn't seem to be the determining factor in which a coach is successful.

What I do care about is stubbornness and willing to hold himself accountable before blaming others. Over the last two years, at press conference after press conference he has blamed himself and said he's got to do better. And yet we have seen little actual action to support those words. We've spent the bulk of our resources in the past two offseasons to upgrading the defense while the OL took a big step backwards. McVay has added few new innovations to the offense, and instead seems to be designing it mostly to cover up the OL weakness. His playcalling has often times been predictable enough for a casual fan to see, much less other teams. It took him a long time to finally move somewhat away from the constant 11 personnel formations after it was figured out in late 2018 (and that played a significant role in costing us a Super Bowl).

In short, he has showed little if anything to indicate that he really needs to change some things up if he wants his offense to get back to being a high performing unit. And now it appears that he and Snead want to scapegoat Goff while taking little action to acknowledge his own role in the offense's struggles. Not a good look at all.
Can someone tell me why Sean runs so much empty sets? That is definitely hard on a QB...everyone knows it’s a pass....why so much?

Ellard80

Legend
Like i know some of you played football....

Here is a thing - I never met a football coach that wasn't an asshole - they just have varying levels. Football coaches are the worst.
If you are looking for nice coaches... try 6 year old soccer.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Can someone tell me why Sean runs so much empty sets? That is definitely hard on a QB...everyone knows it’s a pass....why so much?

And why do we run on first down so often that its almost a certainty for the defense?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

And why don't we ever run out of the shotgun?

Why don't we ever try a draw play when teams are coming at us very aggressively?

Ellard80

Legend

But its not hard on the QB.... thats the thing.

When you spread the field out the defense can't hide coverages very easily. It exploits their formation.

Mcvay does it help Goff read the defense more easily.

Ellard80

Legend

Why don't we ever try a draw play when teams are coming at us very aggressively?

mojo asked this a month back or so... i kind of agree but also the draw play in general has died off across most major levels of football.

Ellard80

Legend
And why do we run on first down so often that its almost a certainty for the defense?

Because the defense on 1st down typically plays more conservative to avoid chunk plays.

Most analytics conclude that passing on 1st down leaders to better offense however.. but its also because our passing game was unreliable half the time.

Not trying to be a dick - but would have to look at data to see if we run on first down more or less than other teams.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
One thing that keeps coming up in this conversation is that he has high expectations for his subordinates, as he should. But in that vein, would it not be fair for Stan to call McVay into his office now and speak with him a little about the current situation with Goff?

Maybe something like:

"Hey Sean, two years ago you were banging the table for this guy to get an extension. We already extended Todd and Brandin and they're gone, but the money I paid them is still counting against our cap. I understand those guys had medical issues, but Jared doesn't. I paid him to play at a high level, but I also extended you and pay you to make things work. And if things aren't working with the QB, are you doing everything you can to make it work, Sean? Are you and other players around him fault-free in this manner, or is there something else that could be done to give us a clearer picture? Because I'm honestly getting tired of dumping guys two years after we extend them at your request."

A lot of people here would be pissed for an owner interfering like this, but Stan writes the checks and has every right to ask McVay why his big deals for these guys keep going south. In Gurley's and somewhat in Cook's case he can cite medical reasons, but he has no such excuse with Goff. Nor can he say he's done everything within his power to make things work for Goff, who we have seen play at a very high level when conditions were better. And I tell you, if I was an owner and a coach gave up on a relatively young QB too soon, after extending him at the coach's behest, I'd be pissed. I'd be doubly pissed if that QB went on to another team and did well, which is possible for Goff under a number of scenarios.

In short, I don't care if Sean is an asshole or not, and I'm glad he holds his players to high standards. But he needs to do the same for himself, and in this Goff situation, I simply don't think he is.
If I was Stan I might also ask Sean why the QB is getting the blame when the Playoff QB ratings finished as follows:

Goff 100
Mayfield 94
Brady 89
Allen 83
Wilson 72
Jackson 68

And this with zero Pro bowl WR’s, Zero pro bowl lineman and the lowest rated center (Blythe) and guard (Evans) blocking up front.

I would also mention those WR bubble screens on 3rd and 13 are idiotic, predictable and boring and I want an alternative play written up and on my desk first thing in the morning. Not because I am an asshole, but because I have high standards for those spending my money.

I might also point out that on the biggest possession of the year, Mcvay has a designed pass for Reynolds thrown right into his hands and dropped on 2nd down. I might ask why Reynolds in that situation when he has dropped key passes all season. I might then ask why Evans was starting over Noteboom at LG when Evans had no starts all year and Noteboom was the better pass blocker. The third down play where Evans was completely beaten without slowing down his guy whatsoever had zero to do with Goff and everything to do with which guard was given the start by Mcvay.

I might then end by saying fix the F'ing Oline and stop dicking around with my money and walk out.

Last edited:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If so I respect that asshole and hope he's around for another decade. He's something we've never experienced as a head coach of our Rams. I don't think the NFL has either. I'm confident the players love him and play hard! Sorry not sorry we all knew #12 was going to outplay #16. Give #16 one more season. I really wish AD99 played that game and icing on the cake with Kupp. Whatever.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
mojo asked this a month back or so... i kind of agree but also the draw play in general has died off across most major levels of football.

It's not as prevalent for sure, but maybe trying it one time when nobody's expecting it couldn't hurt.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't really care if he's an asshole or not. Asshole-ishness or the lack thereof doesn't seem to be the determining factor in which a coach is successful.

What I do care about is stubbornness and willing to hold himself accountable before blaming others. Over the last two years, at press conference after press conference he has blamed himself and said he's got to do better. And yet we have seen little actual action to support those words. We've spent the bulk of our resources in the past two offseasons to upgrading the defense while the OL took a big step backwards. McVay has added few new innovations to the offense, and instead seems to be designing it mostly to cover up the OL weakness. His playcalling has often times been predictable enough for a casual fan to see, much less other teams. It took him a long time to finally move somewhat away from the constant 11 personnel formations after it was figured out in late 2018 (and that played a significant role in costing us a Super Bowl).

In short, he has showed little if anything to indicate that he really needs to change some things up if he wants his offense to get back to being a high performing unit. And now it appears that he and Snead want to scapegoat Goff while taking little action to acknowledge his own role in the offense's struggles. Not a good look at all.

I don't understand the "scapegoating" thing.

the ONLY thing McVay's said is that Goff can't keep turning the ball over... and we all know we're not talking about tipped balls, but the kind of picks that just give you brain damage watching them.

We don't know how much extra help he's gotten or been willing to take from coaches, we don't know what if any extra work he's put in, we don't know if Goff agrees with or buys into the concepts and intentions of the offense.

Goff's the mystery here and I wouldn't speculate on his motives, actions or words I'm not privy to, same with McVay and Snead.

What we know is that the aggregation of things SEEM to be leading to a parting of ways.

But I just don't get this "blame" and "scapegoating" thing. FANS have done that in various corners incessantly, but McVay/other coaches/FO? I haven't seen a single shred of that.

I won't rehash what is common knowledge about McVay at this point, but c'mon. This situation is strange enough in situ, we aren't served by creating fan fic version in fantasy land.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
"What? I'm the asshole now?"
iu

"What the fuck's that call?"

He was dangerously close to touching that official.

I prefer this McVay to the guy who just let the refs call whatever shit they wanted without any pushback.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Running out of the shotgun is essentially a delay. The RB is starting with the ball with little momentum and is only beginning to accelerate. That means slightly later to the hole. Running from shotgun statistically has been less effective across the entire NFL going back through the entire Super Bowl era.

The reason we haven't done this is basically Blythe. If the guy on Blythe can simply walk him back, the best gap for runs from the shotgun... the A gaps... are essentially covered by the NT/DT over the C just doing a bull rush playing a 2 gap.

With Blythe getting so easily walked back, the DT can simply bullrush and be doing the most effective thing he can do against both run and pass. Blythe's weakness essentially makes the DL's life easier...which is a problem as we've seen...repeatedly...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think he might be like Nick Saban. He is a players coach and is really hard on the coaches. I'm not in the business, but it seems to me like you have to have some really thick skin. If you are doing your job, and you feel the heat, he is an asshole. If your not ding your job, and feeling the heat, he is an asshole. these guys are going for better jobs, and some will make them and others will not. I do not know Sean, but I do not think there is an asshole behind the curtain. I think there is somebody that wants to win, and pissed when he doesn't. That is professional sports.
I agree with that. I think he's hard on the players too though, at least in terms of being a coach who holds them to task on film day. Not to embarrass but to get it out there and clear where the improvements will come.

But I also think he's growing as a head coach. I'm seeing more aggression, more fire. Like with the refs, press conferences, a lot of shit.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Is McVay an asshole? No.

Is he super-competitive? Yes.

Does he have a ruthless streak? Yes.

Does he have flaws like everyone else? Yes.

Is he capable of acting like an asshole when he’s really mad? Yes. Who doesn’t?

Lastly... Dick Vermeil was one of the “nicest” coaches the Rams ever had. (“Don’t ever be afraid to say ‘I love you’ was a memorable line of his.) But Vermeil sometimes was loyal to a fault. I remember how he cried when he FINALLY (after arm-twisting) agreed to let Lawrence Philips go. My point is... a coach can’t be too “nice” if it means tolerating underperformance.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
But I also think he's growing as a head coach. I'm seeing more aggression, more fire. Like with the refs, press conferences, a lot of shit.
Agree with this observation.

Probably necessary for McVay to be a bit more of a hard-ass if he’s going to continue to succeed in the NFL.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Never had a losing season. Shut up, I will take it. He is a asshole, I am a asshole, NBD.