What if Sean McVay is really an asshole?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Naw he’s a dignified person. I believe even when he has to cut a player or demote then he does it with class and respect for the person.

But I wish they would drop the whole “family” breakdown.

In a family you are not cut for lack of performance. You are together through thick and thin.
I have definitely cut family members due to poor performance. Toxic human beings have no place in my life. I don't care if we supposedly share dna or not.

Besides, the team is more like Olive Garden. When you're here you're family, but as soon as you get cut...

fearsomefour

Legend
My impression falls back on expectations. McVay designs these masterful (in his mind) plays and expects flawless execution. When his expectations are not met, the only rational he has is to criticize those running the plays (Goff).

Personally, I think he’s an egomaniac. He thrives on having hot air blown up his arse. I am over hearing Sneed and him on the microphones.

Quoting Elvis Presley, “A little less conversation, a little more action, please”
There is a chance this is true.
His “Ive got to do better” stuff is just false humility and he is a tyrant behind the scenes.
Martz was too paranoid to not have his egomaniacal side show through.
That said, there be a lot left on the field due to lack of execution....but isn’t that always the way?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was Stan I might also ask Sean why the QB is getting the blame when the Playoff QB ratings finished as follows:

Goff 100
Mayfield 94
Brady 89
Allen 83
Wilson 72
Jackson 68

And don't forget the broken thumb. I'm just about done with these Goff threads as well. I like and root for all Ram players, even guys like Troy Reeder, Austin Blythe, and Sampson Ebukam. That doesn't mean I won't mind seeing them replaced with better players. But for McVay and Snead to double-team on Goff so the media hacks have something to talk about just doesn't seem right. Nothing to do at this point but wait and see and hope for the best.

TexasRam

Legend
There is a chance this is true.
His “Ive got to do better” stuff is just false humility and he is a tyrant behind the scenes.
Martz was too paranoid to not have his egomaniacal side show through.
That said, there be a lot left on the field due to lack of execution....but isn’t that always the way?
I’m sure people don’t want to hear it but Mcvay is eerily similar to Martz. Both present a humble exterior and don’t spend a lot of time screaming at players. Both praised as offensive geniuses for a few years and deflected praise to the players. Both failed to target high round or top free agent interior lineman. Both demanded a high standard of QBs and felt they were replaceable in their system. Both had systems that got figured out in a few years and then failed to innovate.

I do believe in Mcvay though. He is a hard working creative type that listens to others. I can see him creating a new modified system and orchestrating it.

Not to toot my own horn but when Saffold and Sullivan left I mentioned we would see a huge drop off in offensive production and Goff would ultimately get the blame. Others said this as well. Then when Mcvay chose to ignore the Oline in the draft and free agency I was pissed off. Admittedly Corbett played better than I expected and I knew Edwards was a
Solid player from his 2019 tape. The early returns were good but down the stretch our Blythe problem and the key injuries exposed the offseason Oline plan and now here we are.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I’m sure people don’t want to hear it but Mcvay is eerily similar to Martz. Both present a humble exterior and don’t spend a lot of time screaming at players. Both praised as offensive geniuses for a few years and deflected praise to the players. Both failed to target high round or top free agent interior lineman. Both demanded a high standard of QBs and felt they were replaceable in their system. Both had systems that got figured out in a few years and then failed to innovate.

I do believe in Mcvay though. He is a hard working creative type that listens to others. I can see him creating a new modified system and orchestrating it.

Not to toot my own horn but when Saffold and Sullivan left I mentioned we would see a huge drop off in offensive production and Goff would ultimately get the blame. Others said this as well. Then when Mcvay chose to ignore the Oline in the draft and free agency I was pissed off. Admittedly Corbett played better than I expected and I knew Edwards was a
Solid player from his 2019 tape. The early returns were good but down the stretch our Blythe problem and the key injuries exposed the offseason Oline plan and now here we are.
Martz was known as being pretty tyrannical and screaming at players actually. In meetings etc.
Warner talked about being his whipping boy a lot.
The main resemblance I see between the two is they have problems adjusting in game. If the game plan is working it’s going to be a good day. If not, both seem to usually lack an in cane counter punch.

jjab360

Legend
I don't think anyone is arguing he was rude or arrogant. It think the point is his statement that Goff is our QB "right now". It is non committal language. He followed that up with coach speak that every position will be evaluated. Snead piped in with the same. Snead actually went into greater detail pointing out the offense has to get better and Goff struggled in the middle of the season after a hot start and turned the ball over too much during that time.

The point is Mcvay in 4 years have never used terminology like this regarding Goff. Combine this with his comments in pressers after Goff's turnover game vs the Niners and.... well connect the dots. Something has changed. We could be wrong but also look at the face of Mcvay when Wolford played. It's admittedly speculation but when the fly's start biting rain is comin, as they say in the south.
I don't see how using coach speak to say that you're disappointed in a player is being an asshole though

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Martz was known as being pretty tyrannical and screaming at players actually. In meetings etc.
Warner talked about being his whipping boy a lot.
The main resemblance I see between the two is they have problems adjusting in game. If the game plan is working it’s going to be a good day. If not, both seem to usually lack an in cane counter punch.

That's their stubborness, which probably comes from ego (well, definitely with Martz). They are so convinced of the genius of their plan they refuse to change when it's obviously not working. I get that you need to give it time in some situations, but you also need to know when to cut bait. Martz didn't, and at times McVay doesn't.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's their stubborness, which probably comes from ego (well, definitely with Martz). They are so convinced of the genius of their plan they refuse to change when it's obviously not working. I get that you need to give it time in some situations, but you also need to know when to cut bait. Martz didn't, and at times McVay doesn't.
Really hard to know as we aren’t there.
May be nothing more than they aren’t good at adjusting in game while managing the game as a HC.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Really hard to know as we aren’t there.
May be nothing more than they aren’t good at adjusting in game while managing the game as a HC.

The thing that's frustrating is that it seems like he was better at adjusting in his first couple of years here, but has went backwards on this. We would occasionally struggle early and then he would make some adjustments and we'd be off to the races. Same thing seemed to happen with Wade Phillips ... our D would be getting torched and then would come out after halftime and suddenly was a brick wall to the opposing team's offense.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Maybe McVay is out of ideas and the NFL has caught up to him? And now he is looking for a QB that can pull his offense out of the ditch by adlibbing like Mahommes or Wilson or maybe Watson? And it isn't Rodgers as if we had gotten any pressure on him we would have won that game going away.

Just spit balling here! :unsure:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay knows most of the journalists names and I don't think his accountability thing is fake. He's the real deal. I really doubt he's an asshole.

Very probably the best coach in Rams history.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems he might be a little controlling and not allow his coaches or players to make decisions on their own.
Coaches seem eager to get out.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that keeps coming up in this conversation is that he has high expectations for his subordinates, as he should. But in that vein, would it not be fair for Stan to call McVay into his office now and speak with him a little about the current situation with Goff?

Maybe something like:

"Hey Sean, two years ago you were banging the table for this guy to get an extension. We already extended Todd and Brandin and they're gone, but the money I paid them is still counting against our cap. I understand those guys had medical issues, but Jared doesn't. I paid him to play at a high level, but I also extended you and pay you to make things work. And if things aren't working with the QB, are you doing everything you can to make it work, Sean? Are you and other players around him fault-free in this manner, or is there something else that could be done to give us a clearer picture? Because I'm honestly getting tired of dumping guys two years after we extend them at your request."

A lot of people here would be pissed for an owner interfering like this, but Stan writes the checks and has every right to ask McVay why his big deals for these guys keep going south. In Gurley's and somewhat in Cook's case he can cite medical reasons, but he has no such excuse with Goff. Nor can he say he's done everything within his power to make things work for Goff, who we have seen play at a very high level when conditions were better. And I tell you, if I was an owner and a coach gave up on a relatively young QB too soon, after extending him at the coach's behest, I'd be pissed. I'd be doubly pissed if that QB went on to another team and did well, which is possible for Goff under a number of scenarios.

In short, I don't care if Sean is an asshole or not, and I'm glad he holds his players to high standards. But he needs to do the same for himself, and in this Goff situation, I simply don't think he is.
Stan is a quiet, behind the scenes owner. He may very well have talked to both Snead and McVay and we don't know it because he didn't do it in front of the media.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Stan is a quiet, behind the scenes owner. He may very well have talked to both Snead and McVay and we don't know it because he didn't do it in front of the media.

Who knows. I think Stan stays out of most of it, but you never know. Silent Stan indeed.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows. I think Stan stays out of most of it, but you never know. Silent Stan indeed.
He is spending quite a load of cash. Just cost a fortune on a new stadium he didn't get to profit off.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He is spending quite a load of cash. Just cost a fortune on a new stadium he didn't get to profit off.

What he should be doing right now is talking to McVay and Snead and letting them know in no uncertain terms that if they fuck this QB situation up by either not getting someone better who helps the team win more games, or if Goff goes to another team and kills it, then it's their ass on the line. And if he ever came back insisting on giving another QB or offensive star a big contract, I would give him a very skeptical eye.

I just can't shake the feeling that he's turning into McMartz from McVay with this. Got a really bad feeling about it all.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Everybody is someone else's asshole.

No matter who you are.

What is the freaking purpose of this thread?

Last edited: