What if Sean McVay is really an asshole?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LA Rams authority/responsibility trouble means bigger problems ahead

Are the LA Rams a well run organization today? That’s the pivotal question right now. You see, it may be the source of the problem. There is a technique when troubleshooting a bad organization. As an auditor of ‘what went wrong’, I can tell you from first-hand experience that the answer is typically right in front of you. Authority must accompany responsibility.

Or let’s be more focused. Does it make sense for head coach Sean McVay to call the offensive plays, designate the personnel packages, restrict the number of audibles that quarterback Jared Goff can call, and yet hold Goff solely and ultimately responsible for the offense?

Authority and responsibility. Authority is the power to change things. It’s the ability to call the plays on offense. Responsibility is the accountability if something goes wrong. If those two are not under the same hat, problems break out. Let’s put it another way. If someone else buys cheap ingredients, or materials, or tools, it’s not the fault of the chef, the carpenter, or the plumber if things do not turn out as planned.

The problem in an organization is typically not due to a bad person. It’s usually not a person who moves into a position to become ‘the problem’. If a person gets past the checkpoints or can become a problem, the process has broken down along the way. A broken process creates problems for an organization. A well established and maintained process fixes problems along the way.

Good leadership

Good leadership fixes a broken process. Bad leadership assigns the blame and then replaces the responsible party. The goal of both strategies is the same: To get better. Good leadership tries to create enough support in a system so that the person succeeds.

Bad leadership deflects faults to someone else. In management circles, it’s called playing the blame game, and it results in creating a bad culture in an organization. And the psychology of assigning blame indicates the inability to truly diagnose the problem.

This is the same offense where Sean McVay calls the plays, sends in the personnel packages, and Goff executes the play. So what if it’s a bad play? What if the play design throws the quarterback into the teeth of the defense? It’s Goff’s fault. If a receiver runs the wrong route, or if the linemen fail to block, it’s Goff’s fault. Even when it’s not Goff’s fault, the pattern of blaming Goff is too difficult to break.

Stats don’t lie, this time

Per SharpFootballStats, the LA Rams used the 11-personnel (3 WR sets) package 65 percent of the offensive snaps in 2020. 12-personnel (2 WR 2 TE sets) was used 29 percent of the time. Finally, 13-personnel (1 WR 3 TE sets) was used five percent of the time. And yet, when the Rams used the 12-personnel package against the New England Patriots, The Rams offense scored 24 points and dominated in that game.

We reviewed some of the NFL’s finest quarterbacks in their early years. In 69 games, Jared Goff turned the ball over 97 times. In his first 80 games, Russell Wilson turned the ball over 91 times. In his first 80 games, Peyton Manning turned the ball over 127 times. In his first 59 games, Drew Brees turned the ball over 77 times.

In the end, the Rams have every reason to expect Goff to tighten up on ball security. The ironic thing is that did exactly that. But by the 11th game of the season, Jared Goff has turned the ball over 17 times. After being called out for turnovers publicly, he played six more games, two with a swollen and injured throwing-hand thumb, and only had three turnovers.

Winning isn’t easy, but it’s everything in the NFL

Winning is not easy in the NFL. However you believe Goff has contributed to the success or demise of the LA Rams, the overall team has been very successful. The Rams have only missed the playoffs once. Goff under McVay is 42-20 in the regular season and 3-3 in the postseason. Only five quarterbacks have won the NFC Championship Game since Jared Goff joined the NFL five years ago. Goff is one of the five.

The last five winners were Tampa Bay Buccaneer’s quarterback Tom Brady, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, LA Rams quarterback Jared Goff, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles, and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

Aaron Rodgers is not among them. Nor is Russell Wilson, nor Drew Brees. So why only the past five seasons? That’s as long as Jared Goff has been an active quarterback in the NFL. If the Rams and quarterback Jared Goff part ways, I truly will not be concerned for Jared Goff’s future. He will flourish with his new team and could prove to be one of the top-five quarterbacks in the NFL someday.

My concern is more with the LA Rams. Resetting the quarterback is no jumpstart to success. To do that, they’ll need a talented and successful veteran. The Rams cannot afford to sign one in free agency, and any potential trade partner will see the Rams’ current situation and know that they can play, and succeed, at playing hardball.

Nothing the Rams have done so far fixes anything. Can they repair the offense in time for the 2021 NFL season? Perhaps. It will require a blockbuster trade or backup QB John Wolford to truly step up this season. That seems like an unlikely outcome.

If the hope is that the Rams will trade for a veteran quarterback from another team, the Rams have done a very poor strategy so far of setting up to get one at an affordable price. Quite the contrary, the Rams have all but announced to the NFL that they are having a firesale on Goff, and are willing to pay top dollar for his replacement. That means trouble today. And if it fails to reignite the offense? Well then, that is where the bigger problems ahead kick it.

KayJay

Starter
I can't believe I missed this thread. But Sean has a paper trail of being hard to work with on offense if you're a qb or another offensive mind. Most of us will side with him for sure. But once Goff is gone, its safe to say his scapegoat and security blanket is gone. Nobody is expecting mediocre results, because we already have that.

I don't really care if he's an asshole or not. Asshole-ishness or the lack thereof doesn't seem to be the determining factor in which a coach is successful.

What I do care about is stubbornness and willing to hold himself accountable before blaming others. Over the last two years, at press conference after press conference he has blamed himself and said he's got to do better. And yet we have seen little actual action to support those words.
We've spent the bulk of our resources in the past two offseasons to upgrading the defense while the OL took a big step backwards. McVay has added few new innovations to the offense, and instead seems to be designing it mostly to cover up the OL weakness. His playcalling has often times been predictable enough for a casual fan to see, much less other teams. It took him a long time to finally move somewhat away from the constant 11 personnel formations after it was figured out in late 2018 (and that played a significant role in costing us a Super Bowl).

In short, he has showed little if anything to indicate that he really needs to change some things up if he wants his offense to get back to being a high performing unit. And now it appears that he and Snead want to scapegoat Goff while taking little action to acknowledge his own role in the offense's struggles. Not a good look at all.

This, all of it right here. Doug Peterson just won a Super Bowl and was shipped out. We don't need to jump the gun, but Sean has a paper trail. Arguing with Matt Lafleur, Goff, and even the change in Gurley's attitude on his last run here. Sean is bullet proof right now, but not invincible. If Goff is traded, everyone is expecting immediate results right? I mean why not, Goff is being sold as the problem. Results are everything. Sean McVay is not infallible. Its just something to think about going into next year.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That answers that question in my mind. McVay laid all the blame on Goff , instead of his lousy play calling. Starting to dislike the so called genius.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That answers that question in my mind. McVay laid all the blame on Goff , instead of his lousy play calling. Starting to dislike the so called genius.
That's what I have been saying for a long time. Our coaches and front office people can't wait to get the fuck out of here.
OCs have little impact on our team and just do what they are told. They all split after one year, I wouldn't be surprised if they were out job hunting halfway thru their first seasons. Bones called a play on his own and left after the season and our ST went from top in the league to bottom. Goff has regressed every year when our coaches leave. Goff audibled a play and caught hell on national tv and is gone. The only thing McVay doesn't totally control is our defense.

Snead has run the team in the ground with his shitty contract decisions and would have been gone long ago on most teams. The team belittles Goff in front of the national media and then trades him. Think their bullshit hurt his value a little. They do a lot of stupid shit.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That's what I have been saying for a long time. Our coaches and front office people can't wait to get the fuck out of here.
OCs have little impact on our team and just do what they are told. They all split after one year, I wouldn't be surprised if they were out job hunting halfway thru their first seasons. Bones called a play on his own and left after the season and our ST went from top in the league to bottom. Goff has regressed every year when our coaches leave. Goff audibled a play and caught hell on national tv and is gone. The only thing McVay doesn't totally control is our defense.

Snead has run the team in the ground with his shitty contract decisions and would have been gone long ago on most teams. The team belittles Goff in front of the national media and then trades him. Think their bullshit hurt his value a little. They do a lot of stupid shit.

Only die hard Rams fans would have a problem with this interpretation.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Still not sure he’s an asshole...but he’s definitely self assured, impulsive and impatient.

In the end, it will either make him a legend, or a cautionary tale.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The proof will be the end results on the field and that's how it should be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still not sure he’s an asshole...but he’s definitely self assured, impulsive and impatient.

In the end, it will either make him a legend, or a cautionary tale.
He's already a legend. The guy is a fucking rock star man.

But in this league the "genius" label is only on loan. He's got two years in a row of bad offense. Judging from his approach this offseason I think he realizes how fleeting it all is.

TexasRam

Legend
He's already a legend. The guy is a fucking rock star man.

But in this league the "genius" label is only on loan. He's got two years in a row of bad offense. Judging from his approach this offseason I think he realizes how fleeting it all is.
Well sorry Bro, you were wrong on your new age running QB idea.

Went with the old, overpaid, big contract, non mobile, never won shit guy while selling the farm.

Your idea looks rather brilliant now :)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Went with the old, overpaid, big contract, non mobile, never won shit guy while selling the farm.

We don't know that.

Could have been that the Rams were targeting Watson, but Caserio and Easterby decided to hold the line and force Watson's hand... either waive the no trade clause or sit out, because we're not gonna allow you to enforce the no trade clause.

I'll keep repeating it, it's a monumentally stupid way to go that will diminish his value tremendously, but we'll see.

Anyway, if they did that, then this move is the right move. I was wrong about Stafford. I just relied too much on old recollections and stats while forgiving Goff more than I should have. Skewed my vision. This should be a pretty big upgrade and lots of teams around the NFL saw it the same way.

We'll see if they were right. Sometimes things on paper work out and sometimes they don't.

But we may have gone with Stafford as our backup plan based on the shitshow that is the Texans changing strategies literally a day or two after publicly announcing his price was 3 1st rounders... Now, they won't trade him at all? M'kay...

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I can't believe I missed this thread. But Sean has a paper trail of being hard to work with on offense if you're a qb or another offensive mind. Most of us will side with him for sure. But once Goff is gone, its safe to say his scapegoat and security blanket is gone. Nobody is expecting mediocre results, because we already have that.

This, all of it right here. Doug Peterson just won a Super Bowl and was shipped out. We don't need to jump the gun, but Sean has a paper trail. Arguing with Matt Lafleur, Goff, and even the change in Gurley's attitude on his last run here. Sean is bullet proof right now, but not invincible. If Goff is traded, everyone is expecting immediate results right? I mean why not, Goff is being sold as the problem. Results are everything. Sean McVay is not infallible. Its just something to think about going into next year.

Please show this paper trail you refer to with MaVay arguing with the above references...

Goff isn't being seen as the problem, he is the problem and at least 3 losses this season are directly attributed to him. Sadly some folks can't see the forest, or just refuse to do so. His stats and problems are well documented, there's a list, would you like me to post it once again?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes and to be fair my idea was more of a projection on what I thought was coming. And I was wrong lol. This is why I say on a message board keeping score is stupid. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. And sometimes what fans want is actually not a bad direction even when they're wrong. Though my idea/expectation may have been a bad direction lol. I do still think that is coming btw it just won't be spearheaded by McVay.

Anyway, if they did that, then this move is the right move. I was wrong about Stafford. I just relied too much on old recollections and stats while forgiving Goff more than I should have. Skewed my vision. This should be a pretty big upgrade and lots of teams around the NFL saw it the same way.
I made the same mistake with Stafford. My vision of the guy in my head was out of date a bit. Halfway through the first Lions game I watched last night I was pissed that I didn't take the time to watch that BEFORE I laid judgment on him in the other thread. Rather preventable when I know damn well it's been a long time since I've really watched the Lions. Stafford should look really good in this offense, and his stats may spike with a consistent ground game behind him.

I'm a very happy fan right now either way. My Rams are a better team and that my friend is what matters most. :cheers2:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

You're completely misrepresenting reality. These coaches are being promoted, they're not bailing on anything...

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
mvbae.jpg

"I'm your girlfriend right now? Uh, just don't pull a 'Goff' on me."

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According t the article silver put out .. yes mcvay is a bit of an asshole .. didn’t even talk to JG about the possibility of a trade .. dick move