What if Rams now think their OL is ‘fixed’? (Among other positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bear with me here because I’m gonna engage in some outside-the-box thinking that might coincide with Rams lean offseason strategy proposed. Assuming Rams want to minimize FA expenditures and both present and future cap costs so that they can go hog wild in ‘24.

What if they think OL is fixed after extending Shelton?

Boom
Jackson
Shelton (Allen as backup)
Anchrum, Bruss
Hav

That’s a decent line IF nobody gets hurt.

RB

Just needs a mid round draft pick for depth

TE

Hunter Long addition makes them 3 deep

WR

AR stays so no need for more help.

Backup QB

Just sign a vet off the scrap heap now that my top 3 have signed elsewhere or draft one they like mid rounds.

As to the D:

IDL. Let Gaines and ARob both go and utilize the 2 Browns and anybody else remaining from their current depth.

Edge. Hoecht starts on one side and a high draft pick becomes other starter.

CB. Durant starts outside and is joined by a high draft pick on other side. Rochell and Kendrick fight for snaps at slot (or wherever)

S. Fuller, Yeast, and Lake fight for snaps plus Rams draft another S late.

ST. Draft a kicker and a punter (if Dixon isn’t extended). Find a long snapper among udfa’s, as usual.

Well, something like the above appears to be in store for ‘23, y’all. Semi competitive if McVay and his staff coach their brains out, but probably not a serious playoff contender this year.

Projected draft priorities?

First 3 picks will be edge, CB (maybe 2), OL (interior), TE, WR, or RB depending on their board. All 6 positions will be drafted for sure before end of Day 3. Kicker will probably be drafted in 6th or 7th if one if the guys they really like is still there. Otherwise it’s gonna be FA or more likely a udfa for kicker.

Beyond the above I expect Snead.McVay to sprinkle in depth players at a variety of positions that fall plus a very active udfa strategy. Whatever money is left over will likely be spent on 2nd tier FA’s at thin positions and/or signings down the road from final cuts by other teams.

This roster building is gonna be a 5 month ongoing process (even more than it normally is for Rams, anyway).

Do I like it? Am I excited by what our ‘23 roster might look like? Nope. But something like this is probably in the cards for 2023, I’m afraid. Rams will win 7-9 games IF coaches do a great job.

Thoughts?

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Our OL as a whole is injury prone and I’ve been aghast the last 3 years how they’ve skated on it with all these other gadget and one trick pony players.

You know we would be decently good if they started getting impactful cheap talent on the OL in the draft years ago. You draft moronic picks like Tutu, welcome to where we are.

Hopefully we get to that point again focusing on the OL, first up, LT.

Ps very talented OL’s throughout this draft until the end, let’s see what way we go, just hope we go BPA instead of drafting solely on need in a month.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has ALWAYS made the OL work in spite of talent if we just stay healthy.

Boom and Allen are IMO injury prone. The others I think were mostly one off injuries.

So I think we end up with something like:

Rookie LT
Jackson
Shelton
Bruss
Hav

After Boom and Allen get hurt, and I think that will be an above average OL because again, McVay has always had that with consistency

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Alaric Jackson is the starting LT and I hope they bring in another Vet like Nsekhe.
Guard I think can go several ways.. but I think that Anchrum & Bruss have a great chance to be the two starters.

Boom is depth.. especially coming off the injury. He'll be cut before 24.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
That which has failed in the past is likely to fail in the future unless the cause of failure is addressed.

dang

Legend
Bear with me here because I’m gonna engage in some outside-the-box thinking that might coincide with Rams lean offseason strategy proposed. Assuming Rams want to minimize FA expenditures and both present and future cap costs so that they can go hog wild in ‘24.

Boom
Jackson
Anchrum, Bruss
Hav

RB

TE

WR

Backup QB

Just sign a vet off the scrap heap now that my top 3 have signed elsewhere or draft one they like mid rounds.

As to the D:

IDL. Let Gaines and ARob both go and utilize the 2 Browns and anybody else remaining from their current depth.

CB. Durant starts outside and is joined by a high draft pick on other side. Rochell and Kendrick fight for snaps at slot (or wherever)

ST. Draft a kicker and a punter (if Dixon isn’t extended). Find a long snapper among udfa’s, as usual.

Well, something like the above appears to be in store for ‘23, y’all. Semi competitive if McVay and his staff coach their brains out, but probably not a serious playoff contender this year.

First 3 picks will be edge, CB (maybe 2), OL (interior), TE, WR, or RB depending on their board. All 6 positions will be drafted for sure before end of Day 3. Kicker will probably be drafted in 6th or 7th if one if the guys they really like is still there. Otherwise it’s gonna be FA or more likely a udfa for kicker.

Beyond the above I expect Snead.McVay to sprinkle in depth players at a variety of positions that fall plus a very active udfa strategy. Whatever money is left over will likely be spent on 2nd tier FA’s at thin positions and/or signings down the road from final cuts by other teams.

This roster building is gonna be a 5 month ongoing process (even more than it normally is for Rams, anyway).

Do I like it? Am I excited by what our ‘23 roster might look like? Nope. But something like this is probably in the cards for 2023, I’m afraid. Rams will win 7-9 games IF coaches do a great job.

Thoughts?
Strengthening the OL needs to start this year. At the very least add an IOL through the draft. Need to build a stronger run game. They can Draft or FA an LT next year depending on the play of AJax. I have no confidence in Note at LT or Allen at OC mostly due to their continual injuries.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Jourdan in her column reiterated that the Rams don't really know what they have on Oline with all the injuries and want to see what these guys can do healthy but that one couldn't rule out a cheap vet FA (I'm guessing a cut so won't mess with our formula) or a draft pick.

Another point that Jourdan has made more than once is that with the disaster that the Ram's season was last year - with all the injuries - there really wasn't a lot of room for coaches to do a lot of teaching when they were constantly plugging holes. I suspect the Rams have a lot of confidence in themselves as teachers and think they can lean on that if they don't materially upgrade the oline. (Right or wrong!)

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Boom
Jackson
Anchrum, Bruss
Hav

RB

TE

WR

Backup QB

As to the D:

Thoughts?

I don't think you are far off except with the 7 - 9 record which I find exceedingly optimistic. At least our schedule is easier this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Boom
Jackson
Anchrum, Bruss
Hav

RB

TE

WR

Backup QB

As to the D:

Thoughts?
:sick2:

muggmeister

Rookie
If you keep doing the same stupid shit with the same injury prone players and keep expecting different results then that is the definition of being "fucking stupid"! Not a single goddamn one of them have the talent to even sniff a Pro Bowl, in fact, only Havenstein has the talent to be a starter on most teams (and not all of them). Until they come to this conclusion go ahead and get used to watching the Rams pre-McVay. Every fucking time a Rams player has a good season they go ahead and break the GD bank for them, Ramsey, Kupp, Floyd, and even Donald with his last contract was utterly irresponsible. I love Cooper Kupp, but really, one standout season does NOT deserve top tier money, those type of deals should be reserved for multiple outstanding seasons. Never should extended Noteboom or Allen while letting Corbett hit the street, again, fucking stupid. Sorry about the rant, I thought this was a vent thread...lol

Tano

Legend
And I will re-iterate 3-14 if Stafford is as badly hurt as some have stated

I do not have high hopes with the type of injury he sustained

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think your post is likely pretty accurate. We have no clue what we have in Bruss but sure invested a pretty high pick in him, so I would assume the Rams really liked him at the time. I assume the Rams think the OL is pretty solid if we don't have another outlier season of historic injuries (most in history by 20+ games). I'm honestly a bit more worried about our defense at the moment. At least we currently have warm bodies on the OL.

I can guarantee they already have a map of who they will be pursuing in the offseason next year. I'm fairly excited for next year, but, really don't want to see a terrible product this year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
patience GIF by Guns N' Roses

Can you read lips?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruss will be penciled in and get every chance to start. Nothing wrong with that.

Allen & Shelton are depressing at center but a marginal pairing that would be better if our guards were strong.

LT just looks like it is someone falling to 36 or bust. Outside of that we do not have the resources for that cornerstone position.

So I think the question is whether they sign a guard in FA. Then draft picks boosting the competition. Prob is what if the draft falls in such a way that you don't add good competition.

This is why I'd suck it up and add a guard in FA. Then you have some flexibility for both guard spots which means better depth and better competition and hopefully a stronger interior. Then with the interior fixed you fix LT next year with that high pick.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
"the Rams don't know what they have because of injuries" Well they know they get injured a lot. I mean they could all be great players if they didn't get injured but they do. The Rams don't seem to account for that.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Jourdan in her column reiterated that the Rams don't really know what they have on Oline with all the injuries and want to see what these guys can do healthy but that one couldn't rule out a cheap vet FA (I'm guessing a cut so won't mess with our formula) or a draft pick.

Another point that Jourdan has made more than once is that with the disaster that the Ram's season was last year - with all the injuries - there really wasn't a lot of room for coaches to do a lot of teaching when they were constantly plugging holes. I suspect the Rams have a lot of confidence in themselves as teachers and think they can lean on that if they don't materially upgrade the oline. (Right or wrong!)
True.

The Rams might not know but man, fans certainly feel they know! 7 wins seems to be the top end estimate! I've heard we'll have the top pick next year, top 5 at worst.

My belief is, these guys are pretty good at what they do so there's a good chance they know what they're doing. Fans say, they don't invest enough in OL. Okay, 8 draft picks the last 5 years ain't enough. Fans say, they spend like drunken sailors. Where was that criticism in 2021?

Amazing that for the last 4 years, after losing the SB, I've heard how they should do things. And yet they managed to win A Superbowl without taking all that solid advice!

We have 11 picks....without a trade down or trade up. Could be less. Could be more. They seem to always find a couple of UDFAs every year. I'm going to reserve the right to worry or wonder until the draft and free agency has passed.

I can guess this much. If Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp or Matt Stafford thought management were wasting one of their seasons, they'd retire or demand a trade.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All indications point to them thinking this is not gonna be their year. Patience is required. Remember the days before McVay? Remember when all we had in December was looking at the young guys and trying to figure out who can make us better the next year? Remember when we just wanted some hope that our team will contend soon? Its quite possible that is what 2023 will be like.

Although I will say focusing on the offense is the best way to surprise people and make themselves an unexpected contender. We know they can't address many needs this year. The defense will probably struggle. Give up more points. But we also know the offense averaging 16-17 points per game won't win much. We already went through that. So if the offense can get back to where they were previous years then maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.