What if Rams now think their OL is ‘fixed’? (Among other positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
For the Long Snapper, I hope the Rams get Chris Stoll, from Penn State.

Dude won the college award for beat long snapper and would be a cheap good piece we could keep for years to come.

It wasn't too long ago we had a Pro Bowl LS! Haha

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The Rams oline is a huge question mark for sure. Being that all their starters were hurt last season it's really impossible to say whether or not they would have gelled and played well together. I also think having players cross train at different positions during practice is more of a hindrance than it's worth. I don't mind having a player or two doing that but it seemed like everyone except for big hav was playing two or more positions at any given time. As we all know continuity on the offensive line is the biggest factor when it comes to solid play and I can't help but think having these guys play all over the place probably fried their brains to an extent. Just my opinion obvi

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Bruss will be penciled in and get every chance to start. Nothing wrong with that.

Allen & Shelton are depressing at center but a marginal pairing that would be better if our guards were strong.

LT just looks like it is someone falling to 36 or bust. Outside of that we do not have the resources for that cornerstone position.

So I think the question is whether they sign a guard in FA. Then draft picks boosting the competition. Prob is what if the draft falls in such a way that you don't add good competition.

This is why I'd suck it up and add a guard in FA. Then you have some flexibility for both guard spots which means better depth and better competition and hopefully a stronger interior. Then with the interior fixed you fix LT next year with that high pick.
In our range at 36, I'm not in love with any of the tackle prospects being able to step in day one and be much of an improvement over Jackson or Boom.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. So wait a year on LT seems like the way to go. Unless you really love a guy who gets close and we use next year's first round pick to jump up and get him.

If I were Les right now here's what I'd do:

1. Sign Seumalo. There is risk and I hate to say we should go after another injury risk history type. But he is a guy who you feel when he is out there. The Rams have more resources than I do on all that though so if there's a reason they avoid him then sign Risner. Either way add a guard quickly to the roster and backload the contract. This ensures I feel better about my front going into the draft.

2. Draft a Center. A lot of our issues on the interior go back to poor center play. Sure if Allen stays healthy we'll be ok. But I would like to be strong in the middle. I want an anchor in there. There are some good ones in this draft take one of them and it doesn't have to be in round 2. It could be mid to late but add to the competition.

3. Draft a Guard. Not a Tackle-to-Guard conversion. A fucking Guard. Someone who is a tank in the phone booth. Generally speaking those guys can play quickly so he'll immediately provide competition on both sides.

LT is the target next year. Fix the interior this season and at least Stafford can step up in the pocket. And if we're really lucky one of our OTs locks down the LT spot and doesn't look back then we'll see some shit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Since this season is foundational remolding of depressed units of talent .....looking forward to 2024 when the Dead Cap is greatly reduced......

The Ol is the main way to keep our franchised player #9 upright & leading then now is the time to build on that OL. Draft a couple of OG's & a center, they will have their rookie seasons behind them in 2024 & hopefully, Logan Bruss will get to get some experience along with the rookies. LG Zac Thomas will be better known & entering his 2nd season. That will provide the Rams in 2024 with four OG's.

If LT Noteboom & Allen continue their very bad resumes as they have the past 5 seasons both will be cut. Rams will most likely let OG Tremayne Anchrum try out his 2024 UFA'cy or if he proves to be a very good balanced blocking OG sign him! He will make five OG's.

Rams will finally have a #1 Draft selection to determine if Alaric Jackson is the right fit @ LT or they can draft a top LT to work with Jackson in 2024. This 2023 rookie center can work with Shelton in 2024.

Rebuild that OL with better young healthy talent! Got to get rid of unreliable always injured OL'ers!!!:bullseye:

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would honestly prefer Jackson continue to develop at LT and move Boom inside.

But I would also prefer the Rams upgrade the line to open up holes for Cam, and to keep Stafford clean.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Using my above suggestion here's what it would look like:

LT: Boom vs Jackson (thunderdome camp competition)
LG: Seumalo vs Anchrum vs loser-of-LT vs draft-pick
C: Allen vs Shelton vs draft-pick
RG: Bruss vs Anchrum vs draft-pick
RT: Hav vs @oldnotdead (deathmatch)

They won't hit on both picks but it seems to me that they can field a strong interior with that many options competing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, for the defensive line, I'm really intrigued by Larrell Murchison. He's not AD, but in his limited time here, he was really fucking good as a pass-rusher. He also made some plays in the run game, so he's not just a one trick pony.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Honestly, for the defensive line, I'm really intrigued by Larrell Murchison. He's not AD, but in his limited time here, he was really fucking good as a pass-rusher. He also made some plays in the run game, so he's not just a one trick pony.
Yes, he's an under-the-radar guy. But they liked him last year and he played hard. I'm curious to see if Bobby Brown and Ernest Brown can make the best of their opportunity.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
McVay has ALWAYS made the OL work in spite of talent if we just stay healthy.

Boom and Allen are IMO injury prone. The others I think were mostly one off injuries.

So I think we end up with something like:

Rookie LT
Jackson
Shelton
Bruss
Hav

After Boom and Allen get hurt, and I think that will be an above average OL because again, McVay has always had that with consistency
I'd replace Shelton with a rookie personally.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I agree. So wait a year on LT seems like the way to go. Unless you really love a guy who gets close and we use next year's first round pick to jump up and get him.

1. Sign Seumalo. There is risk and I hate to say we should go after another injury risk history type. But he is a guy who you feel when he is out there. The Rams have more resources than I do on all that though so if there's a reason they avoid him then sign Risner. Either way add a guard quickly to the roster and backload the contract. This ensures I feel better about my front going into the draft.

2. Draft a Center. A lot of our issues on the interior go back to poor center play. Sure if Allen stays healthy we'll be ok. But I would like to be strong in the middle. I want an anchor in there. There are some good ones in this draft take one of them and it doesn't have to be in round 2. It could be mid to late but add to the competition.

3. Draft a Guard. Not a Tackle-to-Guard conversion. A fucking Guard. Someone who is a tank in the phone booth. Generally speaking those guys can play quickly so he'll immediately provide competition on both sides.

LT is the target next year. Fix the interior this season and at least Stafford can step up in the pocket. And if we're really lucky one of our OTs locks down the LT spot and doesn't look back then we'll see some shit.
I would not trade the number 1 pick away. I'd hold on to that since there's a good chance we aren't going to be very good next year. Could be used to draft an actual blue chip player, trade back in the draft to get even more picks or be used to trade for an impact player in 24.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Although I will say focusing on the offense is the best way to surprise people and make themselves an unexpected contender.

This.

I prioritize RB/WR/TE (weapons) and OL.

2023 Mission: OUT SCORE THE OTHER GUY

Just get Morris D in that 25-20 range and we’ll be competitive. And… the NFC is wide open to sneak into the playoffs.

Tano

Legend
My belief is, these guys are pretty good at what they do so there's a good chance they know what they're doing. Fans say, they don't invest enough in OL. Okay, 8 draft picks the last 5 years ain't enough. Fans say, they spend like drunken sailors. Where was that criticism in 2021?
1 pick in 2020 and 2021 and that was in the seventh round. That's where they made a mistake.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1 pick in 2020 and 2021 and that was in the seventh round. That's where they made a mistake.
Yet Anchrum is still with the team and was OL #6 last season. Arcuri didn't embarrass himself when he was required to play LT.

But it was 20 and 22. They made no OL pick in 2021. Remember the most costly miss in the history of the NFL occurred in 2021, by making no OL selection.

And in 2022 it wasn't just T
the 7th round. First pick last year was OL.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Yet Anchrum is still with the team and was OL #6 last season. Arcuri didn't embarrass himself when he was required to play LT.

But it was 20 and 22. They made no OL pick in 2021. Remember the most costly miss in the history of the NFL occurred in 2021, by making no OL selection.

And in 2022 it wasn't just T
the 7th round. First pick last year was OL.
And I still say it was a mistake only taking Anchrum in the 7th round and then nothing in 2021 made it even worse

And then only 1 pick Bruss last year didn't exactly help last year's situation

I have always said that OL is the most important position group in the NFL and need to focus on that in the draft every year by making 1 pick in the top 4 rounds every year and another pick in the later rounds.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And I still say it was a mistake only taking Anchrum in the 7th round and then nothing in 2021 made it even worse

And then only 1 pick Bruss last year didn't exactly help last year's situation

I have always said that OL is the most important position group in the NFL and need to focus on that in the draft every year by making 1 pick in the top 4 rounds every year and another pick in the later rounds.
That's one opinion. However

2020 Anchrum (7th)
2022 Bruss (3rd)
2022 Arcuri (7th)

So 2 picks in the draft every year means you either carry 15 OL (I know that would have helped last year) or you'd have to release existing OL or the draft picks (effectively wasting those selections). If you're releasing multiple picks from the first four rounds that's a big waste. The Rams, in the last 5 years, have drafted OL in the first 4 rounds 4 times and multiple OL in the draft 3 times.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anchrum is quite the darkhorse tbh. A guy who put together a lot of good film vs top SEC competition so I always felt like he'd factor in. But that look he had last year felt like his shot with the Rams. They needed him and he couldn't stay healthy.

I'd love to see the guy make the most of things in this next camp but just like with a lot of the other depth on this squad I'm of the mind that we need fresh blood in there.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If the goal is to outscore the opponent which it appears to be.
1) we better run block well
2) we better protect the QB
We struggled at both for essentially the same reason which was underwhelming OL play, yes we had a catastrophic number of injuries but that doesn't mean when healthy our many still unproven O linemen will be up to the task.
We may as well consider the O.L as part of the upgraded weaponization goal for the Rams offense this off-season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looking back at 2018 draft. The Rams could have traded up with Brian Allen’s pick & Notebooms pick very easily. Andrew Whitworth would have been a nice mentor & O. Brown would have been the perfect Swing TACKLE!! Then Austin Blythe the Perfect swing C/G. Kept John Sullivan & then a season later draft a Center such as Tyler Badazz

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Damn, that's pretty damn close to the mock I posted yesterday, which addresses all our needs with only 1 trade down. Get our center of now and future as well as sign Seaumalo.