What if Rams now think their OL is ‘fixed’? (Among other positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Just throwing this out there as a random thought, what if we drafted somebody like a dominant RT rookie like Dawand Jones from Georgia with 36? Move Havenstein to LT?

There appears to be 4-6 servicable LT prospects in the 3-5 round this year that have a ton of experience and goo but not amazing grades. Would that be a better option?

I believe if the Rams were to draft a RT fairly high, it would be for the express purpose of replacing Havenstein next season where we should gain a draft pick and some CAP relief for him. Jackson, Nsekhe & Noteboom are better pass blockers than Hav is, he's better at run blocking.
A mid round LT type may be developed as an eventual replacement for both Noteboom & Nsekhe, and a likely Swing OT for now. jmo.

Last edited:

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Far from being impressive would be the best I can say on Logan Bruss rookie 2022 brief appearances.If not for the injury & the surgery & Injured Reserve designation he may have been cut. That destroyed knee might have saved his NFL career up to now.

Would not surprise me if last season's most healthy OL'er AJ Arcuri did not get some reps early in OTA's & Training Camp @ either OG post. OL coaches Wendell/Kromer have RT Max Pircher entering his 3rd season with the Rams & he can get a ton of action @ the #2 RT post behind Hav.

Arcuri
is built to be an RT in a run-prominent offense in the NFL he has much to offer as the young Havenstein did but not as large. Last season he got a start @ LT & did not do poorly handling it in place of the injured Nsekhe. Arcuri had more starts @ LT than RT in college. Arcuri is a very large OL'er who has huge hands over 11 inches & 34 1/2 arms. But if you wanted some size/power added to the interior @ time AJ Arcuri fills the bill. But being just under 6-7 inches tall is an issue for playing OG.

Keep an eye out for this in TC this summer. He could serve as a very good four-post emergency reserve in this 2023 OL unit.
You certainly don’t judge a 3rd round pick based on performance in 2 preseason games. He’s out there playing with of bunch of players that aren’t expected to see the field especially the way the Rams treat preseason. The notion of his injury saving him from being cut is pretty ridiculous.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You certainly don’t judge a 3rd round pick based on performance in 2 preseason games. He’s out there playing with of bunch of players that aren’t expected to see the field especially the way the Rams treat preseason. The notion of his injury saving him from being cut is pretty ridiculous.
I did not make my comments based on what you said.

You should know by now that ROD has many of our members in daily attendance on most all open Training Camp dates. We get many different reports daily from all our TC reporters It's a very hot thirsty hard work for these ROD reporters.

The early progress of Logan Bruss is well documented in ROD back in the summer of 2022. These ROD reports are still available for you as a member in SEARCH, so you can go back & visit & consume what was all reported. It would be more than fair to say that rookie Logan Bruss was not hitting the ball out of the park in daily practices.

I will stand by my statement on Bruss. I was not impressed but that was not that unusual for rookie OL'ers to need a ton of work. For the Rams Org. I hope that Bruss makes me change my thoughts on his chances.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Ideal Scenario...

Rams start AJackson at LT, find competition thru draft or FA to compete at LG and C, Bruss works out at RG, and garbage Noteboom sits on the bench as a swing T.

If they try to shoehorn Noteboom as the starting LT again and don't add any talent to G/C then the offense is fucked...again...

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Bear with me here because I’m gonna engage in some outside-the-box thinking that might coincide with Rams lean offseason strategy proposed. Assuming Rams want to minimize FA expenditures and both present and future cap costs so that they can go hog wild in ‘24.

What if they think OL is fixed after extending Shelton?

Boom
Jackson
Shelton (Allen as backup)
Anchrum, Bruss
Hav

That’s a decent line IF nobody gets hurt.

RB

Just needs a mid round draft pick for depth

TE

Hunter Long addition makes them 3 deep

WR

AR stays so no need for more help.

Backup QB

Just sign a vet off the scrap heap now that my top 3 have signed elsewhere or draft one they like mid rounds.

As to the D:

IDL. Let Gaines and ARob both go and utilize the 2 Browns and anybody else remaining from their current depth.

Edge. Hoecht starts on one side and a high draft pick becomes other starter.

CB. Durant starts outside and is joined by a high draft pick on other side. Rochell and Kendrick fight for snaps at slot (or wherever)

S. Fuller, Yeast, and Lake fight for snaps plus Rams draft another S late.

ST. Draft a kicker and a punter (if Dixon isn’t extended). Find a long snapper among udfa’s, as usual.

Well, something like the above appears to be in store for ‘23, y’all. Semi competitive if McVay and his staff coach their brains out, but probably not a serious playoff contender this year.

Projected draft priorities?

First 3 picks will be edge, CB (maybe 2), OL (interior), TE, WR, or RB depending on their board. All 6 positions will be drafted for sure before end of Day 3. Kicker will probably be drafted in 6th or 7th if one if the guys they really like is still there. Otherwise it’s gonna be FA or more likely a udfa for kicker.

Beyond the above I expect Snead.McVay to sprinkle in depth players at a variety of positions that fall plus a very active udfa strategy. Whatever money is left over will likely be spent on 2nd tier FA’s at thin positions and/or signings down the road from final cuts by other teams.

This roster building is gonna be a 5 month ongoing process (even more than it normally is for Rams, anyway).

Do I like it? Am I excited by what our ‘23 roster might look like? Nope. But something like this is probably in the cards for 2023, I’m afraid. Rams will win 7-9 games IF coaches do a great job.

Thoughts?

So with that as your base.. if you draft well... and fill out with some low cost free agents... we're a playoff team.

People should remember we won a lot of games under McVay with the same type of team

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So with that as your base.. if you draft well... and fill out with some low cost free agents... we're a playoff team.

People should remember we won a lot of games under McVay with the same type of team
One other plus for this offseason is that they will be 6th in line for waiver claims come August, and in the early 23' season, before the 23' standings determine the priority order.

You can get a couple young vets or cut rookies that teams try to sneak through waivers.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Tama defense will be atrocious period. The OL will be better yet still bottom erd of league unless addressed. Especially LT and LG.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just read that the Rams cut RT Max Pircher back on 3/13/23. Guess the reserve RT position belongs to solely 2nd yr OL'er AJ Arcuri's. McVay did say he felt good about the OT unit this season.

RT Havenstein
LT Noteboom
LT Jackson
RT Arcuri
LT/LG Thomas

I still like to see Ty Nsekhe resign to bring in a veteran Swint OT/LG.
Ideal Scenario...

Rams start AJackson at LT, find competition thru draft or FA to compete at LG and C, Bruss works out at RG, and garbage Noteboom sits on the bench as a swing T.

If they try to shoehorn Noteboom as the starting LT again and don't add any talent to G/C then the offense is fucked...again...
I do not think that Joe Noteboom will be utilized in any other post but @ the LT, either as the game-day backup or later as the starter if there is a need.

I feel sure that interior OL'ers will be drafted but it is very rare that McVay will have much use for them other than an emergency backup. Rookie OL'ers are just pitifully lacking in usefulness & lag way behind all other positions. But the Rams need much better OL talent, just get the dusty shelf ready for 2 or 3 of them.

The young reserve OL'ers who saw action last season (Arcuri/ Anchrum/ Thomas/ Bruss/ Shelton) will be much more involved than what is drafted here in the 2023 draft. I consider Havenstein/ Jackson & Allen starters, will be interesting to see who wins those 2 OG's starting posts.