What do you do next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We’ve released some players.

We’ve traded some players.

There may be more to come, like A Rob.

We don’t have much cap space. 2024 we do. But now we don’t, unless we spend early.

We have 11 draft picks.

How much do you press the pedal this 2023 offseason?

What is your next move?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comedy Demons GIF by IFC

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My next move would be to sit tight, see what free agents don't get deals, perhaps sign one or two cheap prior to the draft. Then attack the draft like a junkyard dog on roids. Re-evaluate and proceed. I would refuse to believe we can't make a lot of noise in 2023 and that 2024 is really the year. There's 18 months until then and a asteroid could end life as we know it!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Me; I think I’m sold on the theory; if you can’t do it all, be good at one thing.

I prioritize the offense as a general theme going forward. It’s McVay’s bread and butter anyway. Let him play.

We can’t do much in FA but where we can I think OL and maybe punter. Got to be right $.

Draft; I grab a player I want in the 2nd, to help the offense. Same with our first 3rd. RB, OL, WR, TE, something with our 2nd and first 3rd if possible.

Our second 3rd I trade down early 4th for Moody. I then start thinking about loading up on CB’s and find a punter if not already.

I strengthen DE with the June cuts. Somebody will be there.

Get the offense stronger.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO they need to wait until they designate their post June 1 transactions to clear cap space. They could probably clear another $10-$20M allowing them to sign additional players. Their draft class projects as costing over $9M this year. I would anticipate high cost contracts like FA Gaines and hopefully, Ngakoue will be among that cap is cleared for. Those two would give the Rams a formidable DL able to pressure with just 4. Ngakoue to replace Floyd would be a massive upgrade. Next to Donald and Gaines, they would push QBs to the DL right, where Hoecht will be waiting.

Signing Ngakoue and Gaines frees up two more early draft picks. Now they are looking at CB at 36, LB, RB in the third, QB2, OLB, Center in the fifth, P, PK, DB in the 6th, LS, WR/returner in the 7th.

I think they take a center anticipating allowing Allen to walk and Shelton to start. They would need depth at center unless they re-sign Toner and complete coaching him up as a backup center. The bottom line this year is getting Gaines and hopefully, Ngakoue resigned. Equally important is getting a legit backup QB2 to groom in McVay's offense. To assume Stafford is going to be an iron man for 3 years is foolish. Why risk their entire season on one guy simply because they ignored the importance of the backup QB position. No more UDFA types. This isn't a strong draft for QBs but there are some that project as journeyman type backups. After a few years, a McVay groomed QB would be very good trade bait.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IMO they need to wait until they designate their post June 1 transactions to clear cap space. They could probably clear another $10-$20M allowing them to sign additional players. Their draft class projects as costing over $9M this year. I would anticipate high cost contracts like FA Gaines and hopefully, Ngakoue will be among that cap is cleared for. Those two would give the Rams a formidable DL able to pressure with just 4. Ngakoue to replace Floyd would be a massive upgrade. Next to Donald and Gaines, they would push QBs to the DL right, where Hoecht will be waiting.

Signing Ngakoue and Gaines frees up two more early draft picks. Now they are looking at CB at 36, LB, RB in the third, QB2, OLB, Center in the fifth, P, PK, DB in the 6th, LS, WR/returner in the 7th.

I think they take a center anticipating allowing Allen to walk and Shelton to start. They would need depth at center unless they re-sign Toner and complete coaching him up as a backup center. The bottom line this year is getting Gaines and hopefully, Ngakoue resigned. Equally important is getting a legit backup QB2 to groom in McVay's offense. To assume Stafford is going to be an iron man for 3 years is foolish. Why risk their entire season on one guy simply because they ignored the importance of the backup QB position. No more UDFA types. This isn't a strong draft for QBs but there are some that project as journeyman type backups. After a few years, a McVay groomed QB would be very good trade bait.
I'm not so sure about it being a massive upgrade. Ngakoue is only a pass rusher, he doesn't set the edge, like, at all. He was only used as a situational pass rusher last year (evidenced by his total of 13 tackles, 12 of which were sacks). Is he better on passing downs then Floyd? I'd say yes. But, he's somewhat of a liability on early downs IMO and Floyd is certainly far superior on early downs and setting the edge. I'd happily take Ngakoue on a good deal for us, but definitely wouldn't break the bank for him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sign an old vet Safety, exp backup QB.

Focus on the D in the draft(primarily). Get tougher on offense via the draft.

Try to score 40 ppg, win 10 games and make the playoffs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Safety and Guard in FA. Go cheap if you need to, backload the contracts if you need to, but those two positions need bolstering before the draft.

Then in the draft address the iOL and secondary and we should be able to at least compete week to week. Maybe hit on a Kicker late. We don't need miracles to get back in the mix for a wildcard just good solid roster build and drafting.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I keep fine tuning my mocks but the Rams keep throwing wrenches in my path. A couple of months ago I was gearing towards our making another run for the roses, now it appears it's all about 2024 and building for the future. Where I was once about going all out to make giant strides in improving our OL, the Rams seem content to maintain the status quo. I'll try to stop fighting City Hall and get on with building more for our future than 2023.
Stafford and Donald are not likely to be around for more than another season or two, and Gaines/A'Shawn/Copeland may all disappear during our current free agent period, so my first two draft choices lead me towards the DL and the best, most NFL ready QB which might remain available for us. I'm still hoping for two draft day trades (Higbee & Van Jefferson) who can bring us further draft picks and more CAP relief. Being this is also one of the best TE classes in ages, we would be remiss to not take advantage of the opportunity. As we speak, the Rams have barely enough CAP space to sign our new draft class while also keeping enough of a small working emergency fund for the season, so I'm not expecting much of a free agency splash this year.

2023 Draft :

1 - N/A

2 - DL Adetomiwa Adebawawore, N.W. (2’nd rd. Trade down from #36)
3a - QB Tanner McKee, Stan.
3b - TE Sam LaPorta, Ia. (Ramsey trade)
3c - CB/S Darius Rush, S.C. (From 2’nd rd. Trade down)
4 - OT Blake Freeland, BYU (Higbee trade)
5a - RB Roshon Johnson, Tx.
5b - Edge Ochaun Mathis, Ne. (Comp)
5c - WR Trey Palmer, Ne. (Comp)
6a - OG/C Ricky Stromberg, Ark. (Van Jefferson trade)
6b - CB Cameron Brown, Oh.St.
6c - S DeMarcco Hellams, Al.
6d - K Jake Moody, Mi. (Comp)
7a - TE Zach Kuntz, O.D.
7b - P Michael Turk, Ok. (Comp)

Re-sign :

CB Grant Haley
WR/R Brandon Powell
OT Ty Nsekhe
OG/OT Chandler Brewer

Major Trades :

Trade down #36 with Detroit for #55 (2’nd rd.) and #81 (3’rd rd.)
Ramsey to Miami for a 3’rd. (Done !)
Higbee to Carolina for a 4’th.
Van Jefferson for a 2023 6’th and a 2024 5’th.

3 Outside Free Agent’s :

OG Dalton Risner or Evan Brown (4 years)
RB D’Ernest Johnson (2 years)
QB Brian Hoyer (1 year)

UDFA's :

WR - Puka Nacua, BYU.
WR - Jake Bobo, UCLA
TE - Noah Gindorff, N.D.St.
S/CB - Cory Trice, Pur.
CB - Darrell Luter Jr., S.A.
DL - Jacob Slade, Mi.St.
ILB - Aubrey Miller Jr., J.S.U.
DT - Elijah Chatman, SMU
OG - Richard Gouraige, Fl.
LS - Alex Ward, UCF

jmo.

Last edited:

spamlord

Rookie
I keep fine tuning my mocks but the Rams keep throwing wrenches in my path. A couple of months ago I was gearing towards our making another run for the roses, now it appears it's all about 2024 and building for the future. Where I was once about going all out to make giant strides in improving our OL, the Rams seem content to maintain the status quo. I'll try to stop fighting City Hall and get on with building more for our future than 2023.
Stafford and Donald are not likely to be around for more than another season or two, and Gaines/A'Shawn/Copeland may all disappear during our current free agent period, so my first two draft choices lead me towards the DL and the best, most NFL ready QB which might remain available for us. I'm still hoping for two draft day trades (Higbee & Van Jefferson) who can bring us further draft picks and more CAP relief. Being this is also one of the best TE classes in ages, we would be remiss to not take advantage of the opportunity. As we speak, the Rams have barely enough CAP space to sign our new draft class while also keeping enough of a small working emergency fund for the season, so I'm not expecting much of a free agency splash this year.

2023 Draft :

1 - N/A

2 - DL Adetomiwa Adebawawore, N.W. (2’nd rd. Trade down from #36)
3a - QB Tanner McKee, Stan.
3b - TE Sam LaPorta, Ia. (Ramsey trade)
3c - CB/S Darius Rush, S.C. (From 2’nd rd. Trade down)
4 - OT Zion Nelson, Mi. (Higbee trade)
5a - RB Roshon Johnson, Tx.
5b - Edge Ochaun Mathis, Ne. (Comp)
5c - WR Trey Palmer, Ne. (Comp)
6a - OG/C Ricky Stromberg, Ark. (Van Jefferson trade)
6b - CB Cameron Brown, Oh.St.
6c - S DeMarcco Hellams, Al.
6d - K Jake Moody, Mi. (Comp)
7a - TE Zach Kuntz, O.D.
7b - P Michael Turk, Ok. (Comp)

Re-sign :

CB Grant Haley
WR/R Brandon Powell
OT Ty Nsekhe
OG/OT Chandler Brewer

Major Trades :

Trade down #36 with Detroit for #55 (2’nd rd.) and #81 (3’rd rd.)
Ramsey to Miami for a 3’rd. (Done !)
Higbee to Carolina for a 4’th.
Van Jefferson for a 2023 6’th and a 2024 5’th.

3 Outside Free Agent’s :

OG Dalton Risner or Evan Brown (4 years)
RB D’Ernest Johnson (2 years)
QB Brian Hoyer (1 year)

UDFA's :

WR - Puka Nacua, BYU.
WR - Jake Bobo, UCLA
TE - Noah Gindorff, N.D.St.
S/CB - Cory Trice, Pur.
CB - Darrell Luter Jr., S.A.
DL - Jacob Slade, Mi.St.
ILB - Aubrey Miller Jr., J.S.U.
DT - Elijah Chatman, SMU
OG - Richard Gouraige, Fl.
LS - Alex Ward, UCF

jmo.
Zion

Zion Nelson is returning to Miami next year, is not in the 2023 draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Me; I think I’m sold on the theory; if you can’t do it all, be good at one thing.

I prioritize the offense as a general theme going forward. It’s McVay’s bread and butter anyway. Let him play.

We can’t do much in FA but where we can I think OL and maybe punter. Got to be right $.

Draft; I grab a player I want in the 2nd, to help the offense. Same with our first 3rd. RB, OL, WR, TE, something with our 2nd and first 3rd if possible.

Our second 3rd I trade down early 4th for Moody. I then start thinking about loading up on CB’s and find a punter if not already.

I strengthen DE with the June cuts. Somebody will be there.

Get the offense stronger.
CGI - hate to say I think you’re WAY OFF when it comes to what Les Snead & Sean Mcvay are thinking. Especially after lossing Gaines(Copeland)A’Robinson plus the minus of Wagner,Scott, & Ramsey to say the least Taylor Rapp.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Zion

Zion Nelson is returning to Miami next year, is not in the 2023 draft.

Hadn't caught that, thanks for the update. He needed a year of strength training anyway, so this is probably best for him.
Edited to OT Blake Freeland, BYU

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Looking more and more like a throw away season. Patience is required. What else can you do?

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
This off-season is a lot like what I used to to as a kid playing Madden - rebuild a team from the ground up after releasing/trading everyone. Works really well if you can get your 4th rounders to play at an All-Pro level immediately…

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gaines was the one Guy left that I would have brought back.

If there are any one year rentals out there looking for a prove it deal, that is the only way I see them competing in 23.

The draft we don’t have enough picks high enough to be impacting in 23 other than #36.

Take Gibbs at 36 and then 2 or 3 OL and hope at least one is an upgrade.