What do you do next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Defense - The Chiefs rolled in the secondary with a bunch of rookies that played lights out. Let's nail our draft and watch the waiver wire/late cuts for secondary dudes. The Chiefs got excellent LB play from Gay and Bolton on the inside, lets pair Jones with another solid inside guy that can cover ground. The Chiefs have basically Chris Jones and then some speed on the edge. We all know what to do there. Nail an edge guy in the draft. Maybe add a Fowler type later in the year if needed. Lastly, the Chiefs defense was better then the sum of its parts because Spags scheme. I would bring in a new DC but that probably is not in the cards till 2024 since no one bit on Morris. Perhaps Mcvay can talk scheme change with Morris. The overall scheme is fine as a base concept, it just needs less predictablilty and tighter coverage at times. QB's should never get an easy read and completion.
Yeah when it comes to UDFAs and corner the Rams should have no problem convincing them they have a chance to win a job. As they will. We will have one CB spot open for competition for sure and that's under the assumption we hit on one with one of our earlier picks. If not then two jobs should be open.

I'm hoping they pick like two corners plus a safety at least, but if they get an influx of UDFAs maybe they get lucky back there with a couple guys who can flip our depth.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What concerns me is what do we have as a team.......today?

Maybe our practice squad are all-pro?

So far this is most perplexing off season I can remember.
So you’re suiting up again SWAdude Pendleton lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah when it comes to UDFAs and corner the Rams should have no problem convincing them they have a chance to win a job. As they will. We will have one CB spot open for competition for sure and that's under the assumption we hit on one with one of our earlier picks. If not then two jobs should be open.

I'm hoping they pick like two corners plus a safety at least, but if they get an influx of UDFAs maybe they get lucky back there with a couple guys who can flip our depth.
No doubt. The Rams should be an attractive spot for priority UDFA’s.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
2023 Draft :

1 - N/A

2 - DL Adetomiwa Adebawawore, N.W. (2’nd rd. Trade down from #36)
3a - QB Tanner McKee, Stan.
3b - TE Sam LaPorta, Ia. (Ramsey trade)
3c - CB/S Darius Rush, S.C. (From 2’nd rd. Trade down)
4 - OT Blake Freeland, BYU (Higbee trade)
5a - RB Roshon Johnson, Tx.
5b - Edge Ochaun Mathis, Ne. (Comp)
5c - WR Trey Palmer, Ne. (Comp)
6a - OG/C Ricky Stromberg, Ark. (Van Jefferson trade)
6b - CB Cameron Brown, Oh.St.
6c - S DeMarcco Hellams, Al.
6d - K Jake Moody, Mi. (Comp)
7a - TE Zach Kuntz, O.D.
7b - P Michael Turk, Ok. (Comp)

Re-sign :

CB Grant Haley
WR/R Brandon Powell
OT Ty Nsekhe
OG/OT Chandler Brewer

Major Trades :

Trade down #36 with Detroit for #55 (2’nd rd.) and #81 (3’rd rd.)
Ramsey to Miami for a 3’rd. (Done !)
Higbee to Carolina for a 4’th.
Van Jefferson for a 2023 6’th and a 2024 5’th.

3 Outside Free Agent’s :

OG Dalton Risner or Evan Brown (4 years)
RB D’Ernest Johnson (2 years)
QB Brian Hoyer (1 year)

UDFA's :

WR - Puka Nacua, BYU.
WR - Jake Bobo, UCLA
TE - Noah Gindorff, N.D.St.
S/CB - Cory Trice, Pur.
CB - Darrell Luter Jr., S.A.
DL - Jacob Slade, Mi.St.
ILB - Aubrey Miller Jr., J.S.U.
DT - Elijah Chatman, SMU
OG - Richard Gouraige, Fl.
LS - Alex Ward, UCF

jmo.
Good Lord, I would sign up for all of this, so I don't have to do a thing because @Riverumbbq just did it for me.
Relaxing Sunday Afternoon GIF by Shinesty

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Draft is loaded with quality DB's. I think the Rams add 4 defensive backs with the 11 picks. 2 or 3 edge guys. I think the big plan is no more big contracts until they feel they're a piece or two away from competing for a title. 2024 or 25 maybe.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Draft is loaded with quality DB's. I think the Rams add 4 defensive backs with the 11 picks. 2 or 3 edge guys. I think the big plan is no more big contracts until they feel they're a piece or two away from competing for a title. 2024 or 25 maybe.

Wait, ... I thought the McSnead plan was more about drafting for offense ? You've got up to 7 defensive players chosen and still haven't addressed the DL where Gaines, A'Shawn & Copeland have apparently been lost.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Wait, ... I thought the McSnead plan was more about drafting for offense ? You've got up to 7 defensive players chosen and still haven't addressed the DL where Gaines, A'Shawn & Copeland have apparently been lost.
Yeah I'm sure Sneads plan is better than mine, just giving an example. Donald, Brown, and Hoecht seem to be the main pieces up front and they'll add to that. I addressed the D line with the 3 edge guys.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah I'm sure Sneads plan is better than mine, just giving an example. Donald, Brown, and Hoecht seem to be the main pieces up front and they'll add to that. I addressed the D line with the 3 edge guys.

Do you have a personal mock available ?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
CGI:

Response #1
I’m glad you are not trading down from #36. I see too many posts suggesting just that. To be fair, many occurred before the ramsey trade and gaining another 3rd rounder; but still, this team is seriously depleted of front line starters. I’d like to keep that #36 and draft a day one starter we can build around. I suggest an edge rusher like uzomah. Like you suggested, drop down from that later 3rd if you want to stockpile more picks. We could use a 4th.

Uzomah could benefit from a season playing on the same defense as Donald.

Then…

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
CGI:

Response #1
I’m glad you are not trading down from #36. I see too many posts suggesting just that. To be fair, many occurred before the ramsey trade and gaining another 3rd rounder; but still, this team is seriously depleted of front line starters. I’d like to keep that #36 and draft a day one starter we can build around. I suggest an edge rusher like uzomah. Like you suggested, drop down from that later 3rd if you want to stockpile more picks. We could use a 4th.

Uzomah could benefit from a season playing on the same defense as Donald.

Then…
In a perfect world they only move down a few picks and get an early 4th to fill that gap in the draft. Thus, they get a pick in every round and then are less likley to reach for a need during the draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Nolan Smith is off the board, which is likely, and maybe even Ade Adebawore, then I have no more reason NOT to trade down at #36.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
CGI:

Response #2
If the niners haven’t inked him to a new deal by next year…we make a run at bosa. The Rams have been filling their war chest with high picks and $$ for ‘24. There’s gonna be a lotta guys on rookie deals between the drafts of ‘22 and ‘23. The Rams will be able to make a large acquisition.

Can you imagine Donald between uzomah and bosa? The scariest defense this century?

So there it is—reload the offense this year (OL, RB, TE?), get some experience for those guys in the secondary, draft a #1 WR next year and go big for an established defensive monster in ‘24.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In a perfect world they only move down a few picks and get an early 4th to fill that gap in the draft. Thus, they get a pick in every round and then are less likley to reach for a need during the draft.
Kickers started going in the 4th last year. If the Rams have their sights on the top kickers they may have to pick him in the 4th.

I suspect the Rams go a vet PK like Robbie Gould. Can’t fill every hole via draft.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Can’t they acquire a 4th rounder without giving up #36?
I know they can reach at #40 just as easily as #36, but I don’t think they will have to reach to satisfy a need.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CGI:

Response #2
If the niners haven’t inked him to a new deal by next year…we make a run at bosa. The Rams have been filling their war chest with high picks and $$ for ‘24. There’s gonna be a lotta guys on rookie deals between the drafts of ‘22 and ‘23. The Rams will be able to make a large acquisition.

Can you imagine Donald between uzomah and bosa? The scariest defense this century?

So there it is—reload the offense this year (OL, RB, TE?), get some experience for those guys in the secondary, draft a #1 WR next year and go big for an established defensive monster in ‘24.
I cannot imagine but it would be ridiculous/crazy.

I wonder if the Rams lighten up on their approach to big contract players going forward? At least a tad. The cap correction we’ve had to make is painful.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I cannot imagine but it would be ridiculous/crazy.

I wonder if the Rams lighten up on their approach to big contract players going forward? At least a tad. The cap correction we’ve had to make is painful.

The NFL is always gonna have that dynamic and the windows of opportunity close fast.

Yeah, it’s painful right now because of that approach, but…

IT WORKED!

Maybe that’s what is meant when we say, “run it back!”? We retool and win another SB in the next 2-3 years before the big contracts tighten their noose once again.

Side note:
I went back and rewatched both SB runs. It’s amazing how few players actually started in both SBs. Donald might be the only guy on Defense and Havs and Whitworth might be the only ones on offense! So, it’s not impossible to dump some players and contracts and get right back in it in ‘24; however, it won’t happen taking a conservative, “more prudent” approach to building the roster—which has not been the MO of the McVay/Snead era.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Can’t they acquire a 4th rounder without giving up #36?
I know they can reach at #40 just as easily as #36, but I don’t think they will have to reach to satisfy a need.
My point is they may reach for a need at 77, for a lower rated player, since they wouldnt potentially pick again until their 5th rd comp picks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am usually optimistic; and I will always be hopeful but this looks bad to me.

Not just 2023. This looks like a weak roster. The Big-3 (Donald, Stafford and Kupp) are older and coming-off injuries.

Google Rams Ourlads Depth Chart. It ain't pretty.

Too many bad contracts and too much Dead-$ have caught-up to the Rams.

The Rams have lost too many good players because of cap ramifications. Too many good players headed into their second contracts have (or will) sign elsewhere.

This list (three years in the making / 2021-2023) is in no particular order. Look at the names:
John Johnson, Greg Gaines, Darious Williams, Nick Scott, Austin Corbett, Gerald Everett, David Long (expected), Morgan Fox, Sebastian Joseph-Day, A'Shawn Robinson (expected), Josh Reynolds, Troy Reeder, Taylor Rapp (expected), Samson Ebukam, Obo Okoronkwo. Matt Gay, David Edwards (expected) and Sony Michel.

That's 18 players. Just off the-top-of-my-head. Most were Rams' drafts picks; and NONE of them made it to their second contracts.

Don't Pick-and-Choose the Ones you DON'T Like.
Pick just SIX from the above group you DO Like, Wouldn't it be nice to have just 6 of those 18?

This does not take into account the release, trade or retirement of Whitworth, Ramsey, Floyd, Woods, Gurley, Brockers and lesser players like Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis, Terrell Burgess, Darrell Henderson and John Franklin-Meyers.

Those familiar with my postings, should know that when I am negative about the Rams, I PRAY I am completely wrong. Good teams lose good players because of the cap. The Rams have just lost too many good players, in my opinion.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
My point is they may reach for a need at 77, for a lower rated player, since they wouldnt potentially pick again until their 5th rd comp picks.

An, THAT pick. Yes, I see your point.