VENT Vent Thread: Packers @ Rams. Locked after 24 Hours.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Giving up 24 or more in every game isn’t going to cut it,

My only satisfaction was seeing the whiners lose a heart breaker

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Honestly, my issues are the same when it comes to the defense: we force plays outside because our inside linebackers are atrocious (lots of missed tackles - and Reeder actually tackled a guy into a first down, no coverage ability whatsoever) and because our secondary is somehow worse (no excuse to let Kraft - a tight end - have a sixty-six-yard touchdown while wide open; no excuse to give up a bomb down at the goalline in triple coverage).

Parkinson was supposed to help us with our tight end woes, but he's obviously not even close to an answer; I feel like we'd actually be better off with Davis Allen starting because Allen, at least, fights for the ball and gets the extra yards you'd expect a tight end to get. Parkinson is a blocking tight end, nothing more, and I'd love to get out of that contract as well as Jonah Jackson's.

Atwell is what he is: too small to fight for the ball, good speed, good route running, but a distant fourth receiver.

Stafford doesn't know who to trust, and I can't say I blame him; only Whittington stepped up when it mattered most, and when he went out, there was nobody.

Sure - blame getting away from The RUN GAME !! Why it’s put on Stafford when The O’LINE was built to RUN the ball. At least we saw BLAKE CORRUM today.

You & everyone else that DOESN’T see it is BLIND(pisses me of)!! You get the ball back with 3:10 left in the game.
YOUR GOING to BLAME the D’’””
-yes I’ll admit that Reeder isn’t a Starting NFL MLB .That’s a different discussion though.

12 points of OFFENSE?? The last one comes with 6 minutes in the GAME,so that’s 7 points.You can’t even talk to me about BAD COACHING!! Shula is doing a nice job. To many men on the field though ? Getting a PA Blicked though ?

What a SHAME,but I KNEW IT!! Hope was there,but the D’ getting the Ball back was AWESOME!!!

TXRams86

The Infamous
Not much to say, really. I'm completely disconnected from this team after last week and only caught parts of the game on TV because it was showing in my area - first time since week 1. I get some of the optimists in here but this season is pretty much over. I don't see this team winning more than 5 games this season and that's being generous.

McVay has to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for the team's current production, or lack thereof. He's failed to adapt his offense to anything other than 11 personnel and we don't have the guys to run it effectively right now. But that doesn't stop him from rolling it out every week. This is an obvious outcome when you rely almost exclusively on one personnel grouping and your guys go down. Really stubborn of him. He also refuses to run the ball when we're having success with it. Corum came in and looked quick and shifty, then we pulled him.

Snead also has to shoulder responsibility for how the team is currently constructed. Defense is the lowest paid unit in the NFL but we sign guys like Reeder, Rozeboom, and White. These are practice squad players that we're starting. We trade Jones for peanuts. Meanwhile offense is the second highest paid unit in the NFL and they aren't producing. Yes, injuries have hurt the offense a lot but Stafford's getting paid a nice chunk of change and he's not playing great.

methomas50

Rookie
I have always felt that looking at stats is more of an autopsy where you see why you lost rather than how you won. Funny thing is the Rams won most of the statistical categories less the most important one, the scoreboard. On taking a closer look GB had considerably more yards per play, won the turnover battle, and were better in the red zone. Whoever wins these usually wins the game. The Rams were considerably better on 3rd down but it didn't help much. Stafford played like he was injured. Not ready to start studying draft prospect yet but something has to give or it wont be far off.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sure - blame getting away from The RUN GAME !! Why it’s put on Stafford when The O’LINE was built to RUN the ball. At least we saw BLAKE CORRUM today.

You & everyone else that DOESN’T see it is BLIND(pisses me of)!! You get the ball back with 3:10 left in the game.
YOUR GOING to BLAME the D’’””
-yes I’ll admit that Reeder isn’t a Starting NFL MLB .That’s a different discussion though.

12 points of OFFENSE?? The last one comes with 6 minutes in the GAME,so that’s 7 points.You can’t even talk to me about BAD COACHING!! Shula is doing a nice job. To many men on the field though ? Getting a PA Blicked though ?

What a SHAME,but I KNEW IT!! Hope was there,but the D’ getting the Ball back was AWESOME!!!

Running game was fine aside from Williams' fumble. We got away from it after the two minute drill. And don't blame me for saying the defense sucked; they did. Giving up the long passing plays were back-breaking. As much as Morris got criticized for his scheme, at least he didn't give up the long passing plays.

Yes, the offense was offensive. The defense - for the most part - didn't help matters.

Please don't call me "blind", So; I don't insult you.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
W
Giving up 24 or more in every game isn’t going to cut it,

My only satisfaction was seeing the whiners lose a heart breaker
WRONG side of the BALL !!!

Look where the MONEY IS SPENT & Who is PLAY CALLING!! That is wear the FINGER needs to be pointed.

The season is over if this doesn’t change.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I honestly believe we would be a game, maybe two, better had they not exiled E. Jones. I know one player doesn't change the landscape but he would have made this defense look drastically different.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not going to be popular for saying this, but here goes. When a ship in the navy runs aground, the guy who takes the blame is the guy in charge, the captain. This is the second week in a row we've lost a winnable game, and as much as I hate to say it, it comes down to the guy in charge. This loss is, for the second week in a row, on McVay. We could be heading into our bye at 3-2 or 2-3, but instead we are going in at 1-4 and our season is hanging by the skin of its teeth. I probably wouldn't feel like this if this undermanned team was losing games to powerhouse teams, but that's not what's happening right now. We are losing games to beatable opponents.

Are we injured? Yes. I'm not buying that as the reasons for losing this week or last, because in both of those games, we had enough talent on the field to win. In the first half of today's game, we moved the ball just fine, up and down the field. Our backups on the OL who have been forced into action have seemed to settle in and are doing a decent enough job (this is not 2022). Our D played well enough in the first half of this game (and in fact, were the only reason we went into halftime with a lead). Our red zone woes continue, and these have plagued McVay for most of his career going back to his OC days at Washington, save for a season here or there. Today we had another trip where we came away with absolutely nothing largely due to his decision making. In general, it just seems like he does not know how to go with the flow of a game and adjust his playcalling accordingly. He has his mind set on what he wants to do and stubbornly holds onto that instead of adjusting on the fly.

As for the D, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard. Yes, we lost the best defensive player ever due to retirement in the offseason, but we still had a solid guy in the middle ... until we traded him away. Was there more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about? Perhaps. That makes the trade a little hard to evaluate. What's not hard to evaluate is the result of the plan they had for filling in the space left by EJ, and that plan has left a gaping hole in the middle of our D that we couldn't afford after losing Donald. And unlike Donald, EJ was replaceable. Good, but replaceable. And instead we have a guy like Reeder who tries hard but is athletically limited and a guy like Rozenboom who looks more suited to being the lead guitarist of a speed metal band than an NFL ILB. We hear that Speights my not know the scheme well enough to play, but that only looks worse if Rozenboom does know the scheme and is still this fucking bad. Is it worse to have a guy in there who is athletically superior in every way but is still getting up to speed on the scheme vs. someone who knows it and still can't do what is expected of him?

No, I don't know everything and I sure as shit don't know anywhere close to as much as he does. But I can see results, and this is a results-oriented business. 1-4 on the heels of losing two very winnable games are not the results we should be getting

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying McVay needs to be fired. He's still a helluva coach and a great culture builder - best the Rams have ever had in my decades of fandom that stretches back to the early 1970's. But god dammit, he needs to take a good, hard look, in the mirror and address some deficiencies he has if he ever wants to get back to win another Super Bowl.

He has to stop letting his teams lose winnable games like this week and last week. This bye week needs to see some serious introspection on his part.

TXRams86

The Infamous
The money spent in injured on the sideline.
You keep making the "injured" argument and while it holds weight, McVay and company can do things to help the situation and don't. We're down our 2 playmaking WRs. What do we do? Keep rolling out an offensive scheme that calls for 3 good WRs who can catch, run and block. Do we have those on our roster right now? No. But that doesn't stop McVay from rolling out the same offensive scheme week over week (save for the Niner game where he committed to 12 personnel more out of necessity).

We also can't dismiss the fact that McVay and Snead have made decisions this offseason and offseasons past to commit significant capital to players with injury history - Noteboom, Jonah Jackson, Higbee and even Kupp. Why are we not talking more about our inability to adapt to these things - as significant as they are.

methomas50

Rookie
Kind of crazy that we are the first team in NFL history to start the season with 5 straight road games. It's sickening.

1728262056028.jpeg

There is your culprit. My kids grew up without a LA team to root for, and at this point root for other teams. Trying to win them back but she did a lot of damage.

dang

Legend
The 2 point nonconversion. Come on man.
Agreed that was a desperation play because a failed run up the middle would have brought a tidal wave of wtfs AND a pass play has about a 5% chance of working right now (since they don’t have anyone outside of Kupp that can pull one in that close).

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Run blocking is the only thing the offense can consistently hang its hat on. We should just go run heavy with Corum and Kyren. 12 and 13 personnel. Leave extra guys in to protect on passes. Keep the D on the sideline.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Found another way to lose a game.
12 points at home against a team that gave up 40 at home to Sam Fing Darnold. I’m glad I stayed away from the game day thread , because it would’ve been ugly.
Defense can’t be trusted , and the offense runs the same plays every week. You can’t trot out 51 , 56 and 97 , and expect to stop anyone. At least Jones would make a play on occasion. These guys are invisible , and getting manhandled. It’s embarrassing
If Stafford has an average game , we can’t win. He’s not going to put up with that very long.
Now we have to chew on this last shit show for 2 weeks. I like McVay , but he’s not a genius. 0-5 against his former employee.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Run blocking is the only thing the offense can consistently hang its hat on. We should just go run heavy with Corum and Kyren. 12 and 13 personnel. Leave extra guys in to protect on passes. Keep the D on the sideline.
McVay will go with this strategy exactly one half of one game every season. I forget which game it was but our offensive line all but forced McVay to come out of half time and pound the ball until the defense could stop it. Then he'll go right back to his same, stubborn, pass happy play calls.

Ellard80

Legend
You keep making the "injured" argument and while it holds weight, McVay and company can do things to help the situation and don't. We're down our 2 playmaking WRs. What do we do? Keep rolling out an offensive scheme that calls for 3 good WRs who can catch, run and block. Do we have those on our roster right now? No. But that doesn't stop McVay from rolling out the same offensive scheme week over week (save for the Niner game where he committed to 12 personnel more out of necessity).

We also can't dismiss the fact that McVay and Snead have made decisions this offseason and offseasons past to commit significant capital to players with injury history - Noteboom, Jonah Jackson, Higbee and even Kupp. Why are we not talking more about our inability to adapt to these things - as significant as they are.
I'm just stating facts. It's not like coaching gets zero blame.

Tyler Higbee had played 125 out of 131 carer games (95%) until his knee in the playoffs.

At the time of his extensions - Kupp had only missed significant time in one season.

They did not have "notable injury histories" when they re-signed.

Show me the team right now that reinvented itself out of injury on offense that is still winning.