VENT Vent Thread: Packers @ Rams. Locked after 24 Hours.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Yeah, of course you're right in the sense of not knowing how kicking the FG changes things after that.
A touchback and they have the ball at the 30, so, maybe the Rams don't get that next TD.
Always the "what if" game....
But, the choice was baffling to me.
4th and goal from the one or two where you can run or pass, go heavy or spread, run outside or inside, run an end around, roll the QB out....everything is on the table, that's one thing. 4th and goal from 6 where it going to be a pass where you are down your top two WRs and have a TE that is a marginal receiver really makes no sense to me at all. It seem desperate way too early in the game.
I'll admit that I was a little anxious for them to go for it, just to silence all of us who are annoyed at their red zone woes. But that's why I'm not an NFL HC. Going for a pass play down your two best receivers, to a TE that hasn't really shown much, at home in the first quarter is just stubborn, emotional nonsense from McVay. If he knew we were going for it on 4th down we should have run the ball on 3rd down to give Williams or Corum a chance for a TD or to get us a yard or two closer. Instead we went for yet another pass play that sailed over Parkinson's head. No clue why it's so difficult for McVay to see that his personnel isn't up for what he wants to run. Square peg, round hole. Mix things up!

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams 16-23 since winning the Super Bowl.
I'll admit that I was a little anxious for them to go for it, just to silence all of us who are annoyed at their red zone woes. But that's why I'm not an NFL HC. Going for a pass play down your two best receivers, to a TE that hasn't really shown much, at home in the first quarter is just stubborn, emotional nonsense from McVay. If he knew we were going for it on 4th down we should have run the ball on 3rd down to give Williams or Corum a chance for a TD or to get us a yard or two closer. Instead we went for yet another pass play that sailed over Parkinson's head. No clue why it's so difficult for McVay to see that his personnel isn't up for what he wants to run. Square peg, round hole. Mix things up!
It was basically the same sort of play, man on man, to get Parkinson isolated that they didn't hit to convert the fourth down at the end of the game.
Parkinson doesn't use his big body very well as a receiver.

Ellard80

Legend
Rams 16-23 since winning the Super Bowl.

It was basically the same sort of play, man on man, to get Parkinson isolated that they didn't hit to convert the fourth down at the end of the game.
Parkinson doesn't use his big body very well as a receiver.
The fact that Parkinson is the best option on a key 4th and 3 says a lot about where we are right now.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
You keep making the "injured" argument and while it holds weight, McVay and company can do things to help the situation and don't. We're down our 2 playmaking WRs. What do we do? Keep rolling out an offensive scheme that calls for 3 good WRs who can catch, run and block. Do we have those on our roster right now? No. But that doesn't stop McVay from rolling out the same offensive scheme week over week (save for the Niner game where he committed to 12 personnel more out of necessity).
How is 12 personnel gonna be the answer when everyone is complaining about Parker being a JAG. Switching up on personnel does nothing if you don't have the horses.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Run blocking is the only thing the offense can consistently hang its hat on. We should just go run heavy with Corum and Kyren. 12 and 13 personnel. Leave extra guys in to protect on passes. Keep the D on the sideline.
They were going run heavy with success until Kyren fumbled.

There is no making up for players failing to execute.

Ellard80

Legend
How is 12 personnel gonna be the answer when everyone is complaining about Parker being a JAG. Switching up on personnel does nothing if you don't have the horses.
Not to mention that people fail to realize that putting 3 WR on the field makes the defense have to play nickel.

Which is easier to run against.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not going to be popular for saying this, but here goes. When a ship in the navy runs aground, the guy who takes the blame is the guy in charge, the captain. This is the second week in a row we've lost a winnable game, and as much as I hate to say it, it comes down to the guy in charge. This loss is, for the second week in a row, on McVay. We could be heading into our bye at 3-2 or 2-3, but instead we are going in at 1-4 and our season is hanging by the skin of its teeth. I probably wouldn't feel like this if this undermanned team was losing games to powerhouse teams, but that's not what's happening right now. We are losing games to beatable opponents.
I agree with everything you say. But that said McVay is his own worst enemy in that he can take teams full of jags and elevate them to where they have a chance vs better teams that should be able to beat them.

Look at the 2 point conversion to Tutu. He went down easy as always on the edge, zero effort to extend the ball and try to get the points. I guarantee you that either Kupp or Nacua take that end around it's 2 points on probably 8 of 10 attempts, because both are regulars in YAC and being smart and competitive enough to extend that ball to the pylon. Same with the corner route Stafford threw to Tutu, where the fucking ball was right there but it wasn't precisely ON Tutu so it's incomplete. Or the identical play where the safety jumped the route while Tutu was a spectator.

Nothing against Tutu either. He simply isn't good enough. Neither are the rest of these dudes. All our quality on offense is in the backfield. Without Kupp or Nacua we are not in the class of Green Bay, Detroit, Arizona, or SF. On any given day maybe McVay can coach these guys to a win of course. But it's an uphill climb.

This roster badly needs more quality. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. This is the single biggest takeaway from 4 games of watching these boys without AD. Rams added real nice pieces this year in the draft. But we need more.

Ellard80

Legend
I agree with everything you say. But that said McVay is his own worst enemy in that he can take teams full of jags and elevate them to where they have a chance vs better teams that should be able to beat them.

Look at the 2 point conversion to Tutu. He went down easy as always on the edge, zero effort to extend the ball and try to get the points. I guarantee you that either Kupp or Nacua take that end around it's 2 points on probably 8 of 10 attempts, because both are regulars in YAC and being smart and competitive enough to extend that ball to the pylon. Same with the corner route Stafford threw to Tutu, where the fucking ball was right there but it wasn't precisely ON Tutu so it's incomplete. Or the identical play where the safety jumped the route while Tutu was a spectator.

Nothing against Tutu either. He simply isn't good enough. Neither are the rest of these dudes. All our quality on offense is in the backfield. Without Kupp or Nacua we are not in the class of Green Bay, Detroit, Arizona, or SF. On any given day maybe McVay can coach these guys to a win of course. But it's an uphill climb.

This roster badly needs more quality. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. This is the single biggest takeaway from 4 games of watching these boys without AD. Rams added real nice pieces this year in the draft. But we need more.
This is the way I feel also.

We are thin by design because we are rebuilding on defense. When you are thin and you don't play mistake free, you are losing.

Lot's of mistakes being made on a weekly basis on all levels.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
On a positive note, Whittington showed out like I thought he would. There were a few mistakes, but he did really well. I think he's going to be a very solid number 3 for us eventually.
Not possible. He is now injury prone. <blue font>
:rolleyes:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thankfully the Niners and Seahawks lost.

This next stretch is less daunting:

Raiders
Vikings
@Seahawks
Dolphins
@Patriots

The Seahawks are crashing back to earth - get healthy and go 4-1 to get to 5-5 and then see what we can do against the Eagles, Bills, Saints, etc.

Defense gels when the offense gets healthy and we go off.

Or we end up with a top 5 pick. Either way, I'm here for the progress and growth of this defense

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to let reality intrude here. but if the worst thing we have happen to us this week is the Rams going 1-4, then we are doing pretty well. Prayers for those in North Carolina and Appalachia.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is the way I feel also.

We are thin by design because we are rebuilding on defense. When you are thin and you don't play mistake free, you are losing.

Lot's of mistakes being made on a weekly basis on all levels.
I would never root for us to lose. But every loss means a higher pick which is not a bad thing.

I do think wins are coming. At some point Verse will learn about contain and Fiske will start winning his gap vs the run at least some of the time. Williams should settle in. I like Curl in the box more than I did deep. And they will eventually pull their heads out their asses and take both Reeder and Rozeboom off the field.

Here's my suggestion for now...

Front: Verse / Fiske / "whoever" / Turner / Young
Backers: Speights / Curl
Back: Williams / Lake / McCullough / Durant

Fiske isn't the best early down option but heavy rotation favors the front since they're undersized regardless.

Curl is no worse than Rozeboom in tackling or run fits and covers more ground. Hummel would be fine too but I think they're trying to find a role for Curl who looks like a shit signing.

When they want to go even front on pass downs pull out "whoever" and add Spoon etc.

At least with that grouping we have speed. Well, in the front 6/7.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I didn't say 12 personnel was going to be the answer. I said McVay should look to use different personnel groupings instead of sticking to 11 almost exclusively. You do know that we can run something other than 11 and probably should at certain times, right?

Not to mention that people fail to realize that putting 3 WR on the field makes the defense have to play nickel.

Which is easier to run against.
This doesn't matter when you have an offensive play caller who sees running as an afterthought to the pass. We run 3 receiver sets with guys that are 3rd stringers. The success we have on the ground doesn't mean anything to McVay, we go right back to passing in situations where running the ball makes more sense. And I can already anticipate the counter argument to that - if they're obvious run downs, then the defense is expecting run. Yeah, sometimes your guys just have to be better than the defense's guys and we have a guy in KW who has a nose for the end zone. Plenty of teams run into stacked boxes at the goal line and get in.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I didn't say 12 personnel was going to be the answer. I said McVay should look to use different personnel groupings instead of sticking to 11 almost exclusively. You do know that we can run something other than 11 and probably should at certain times, right?

This doesn't matter when you have an offensive play caller who sees running as an afterthought to the pass. We run 3 receiver sets with guys that are 3rd stringers. The success we have on the ground doesn't mean anything to McVay, we go right back to passing in situations where running the ball makes more sense. And I can already anticipate the counter argument to that - if they're obvious run downs, then the defense is expecting run. Yeah, sometimes your guys just have to be better than the defense's guys and we have a guy in KW who has a nose for the end zone. Plenty of teams run into stacked boxes at the goal line and get in.
I think you missed my point. It doesn't matter. The issue is the lack of personnel, not which personnel grouping(s) are run.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I think you missed my point. It doesn't matter. The issue is the lack of personnel, not which personnel grouping(s) are run.
With that line of thinking then what's the point of running the personnel grouping we do with the lack of personnel to run it? Why not try something else instead of sticking with the same old? Just because?

Ellard80

Legend

No matter what formations he uses, they are all lacking threats.

back up WR, back up TE, back up Lineman.

I get your point - but thinking that is going to change anything isn't much of a conclusion either.

TXRams86

The Infamous
No matter what formations he uses, they are all lacking threats.

back up WR, back up TE, back up Lineman.

I get your point - but thinking that is going to change anything isn't much of a conclusion either.
I'll give you that, we don't really know what the outcome will be trying something different. It might not even bring about anything meaningful this season. But at least it's a step in the right direction for the future - injecting something different into the offense. This offense is lacking creativity regardless of who we have out there. There's one common denominator and it's the play caller. And we know a lot about the play caller and what he wants to do. So do defenses.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I hate to let reality intrude here. but if the worst thing we have happen to us this week is the Rams going 1-4, then we are doing pretty well. Prayers for those in North Carolina and Appalachia.
You got that right.
Main stream media has not been reporting how bad it really is. I feel so bad for those people.
The Rams will turn it around as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow,.We are fine in comparison to those folks.