Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Lance showed in college he had the basics in reading defenses as a pocket passer. The NFL is a completely different animal but if the QB understands the concepts then it's a matter of study, practice, and game experience. Contrasted with a one read and run QB like Kyler Murray who only now realizes he needs to understand how to play out of the pocket, i.e. read defenses, these guys rarely develop that skill after they enter the NFL.

Baker Mayfield is another one read and run college QB who is only now beginning to show growth in being more of a pocket passer. Ultimately how successful he will be remains to be seen. This is why Perkins won't clear waivers. He has shown his growth in being able to go through his progressions. I can easily see Lance growing quickly, which is why the FO sees his shortcomings now, but the promise he has after a year of development.

Lance has elite talent, it remains to be seen if he has the IT factor to reach his potential. Personally, I see him as becoming an elite level QB. The question will be can the SF FO keep a team around him on both sides of the ball to take full advantage of that talent. He could become another Stafford in Detroit type of QB if they can't.

All I can do is shake my head at the Niner fans who have given up on a QB before he's even played.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Surprise, surprise... The Whiners own media is reporting that there are massive problems with Trey Lance.

And as we know, you can't teach footwork, confidence and mechanics to a QB past the age of 12. I mean you can refine them, but not to an NFL caliber elite level.

The real question is WHEN does Shanny's ego destroy the Whiners? No first round picks and a bust QB sure is a good start.

View: https://youtu.be/6E8Te1A52fE

These guys are jokers. Lances mechanics were off a little bit because he was mentally off a bit - he was double clutching because he doubted what he was seeing post snap and his feet were off because of that. Will need time.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This is the thread I mentioned in my prior post regarding the thread titled "Dissension on the 49ers".

This Grant Cohn (author of the Dissension article) and host of the YouTube video posted on Page 1 of this thread comes across really poorly in my opinion. His Trey-Lance-take in this video (with his fan-boy-Daddy) came out in late-May. So Grant Cohn did not rush his opinion on Lance.

By-the-way, I note in both the article (Dissension thread) and video (this thread), Grant Cohn likes to tell his readers and viewers about his 10-11 years of experience to support the strength of his opinions.

Well, I have been an NFL fan for 50 years; and, in my opinion, Grant Cohn is a dip-shit.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I would be disappointed if the rams took Lance over jones, but then again accuracy sits higher on my
list of necessary qualities than some.
Warner had Jones as his 3rd best rookie QB's and the reason was accuracy.

I agree I would have been pissed if the Rams had taken Lance Over Jones. Having said that of the quarterbacks San Francisco could have picked at that position my preference was that they choose Lance. Only time will tell if I was right.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree I would have been pissed if the Rams had taken Lance Over Jones. Having said that of the quarterbacks San Francisco could have picked at that position my preference was that they choose Lance. Only time will tell if I was right.

I hope you're right because I do believe Lance has the goods, but only time will tell.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know how Lance will turn out. Right now he's one of those QB who's a lot better runner than a passer. 49er offense is gonna struggle with him. I expect to see Jimmy GQ come back quicker than expected.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both of these QB's keep throwing shitty balls to Kittle which is contributing to him getting pummeled by db's and leading to his current stint on the IR.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is going to be an interesting study of two different QB types and their relative value at the NFL level. On one hand the explosive armed QB who is big and athletic. On the other the pocket QB whose strengths are his leadership and poise.

If you hit on that big and athletic QB you have a guy who changes the franchise. But pocket QBs can do that too IF they get to that place where they can dish the ball quick with good decisions.

Truth is that the ball travels faster in flight than any QB can run. But playing in the pocket is not easy, and early on when the QB is learning the job he won't have that edge threat to slow the rush like a running QB brings. End result IMO is that it's probably easier to hit on a running QB provided you have simplified reads like Greg Roman has been doing for years. If you can hit on a guy that is capable of distributing from the pocket, however, you have a QB who will likely play longer than the athletic QB and give you more shots at a title.

I'm wondering if the hit/miss rates are different on the two types. My guess would be that the pocket types have a higher miss rate in the draft. But however these two picks work out here's hoping the 9ers whiffed on their pick. It would be great for them to watch Jones succeed while their pick rocks out of the league, that's the kind of end result that can erode a front office's faith in his staff and talent scouting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My armchair take is that Shanny (for at least this year) should run his offense through Lance's legs much like they did in Baltimore when Lamar came in. They kind of did that yesterday but with Lance's inexperience they need to go all-in on that. They've got the pieces.

Obviously it's tough to change gears like that mid-season but it looks to me like Lance is going to get chewed up trying to be a drop back passer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm wondering if the hit/miss rates are different on the two types. My guess would be that the pocket types have a higher miss rate in the draft.

Yeah. Interesting. Maybe.

My armchair take is that Shanny (for at least this year) should run his offense through Lance's legs much like they did in Baltimore when Lamar came in. They kind of did that yesterday but with Lance's inexperience they need to go all-in on that. They've got the pieces.

Obviously it's tough to change gears like that mid-season but it looks to me like Lance is going to get chewed up trying to be a drop back passer.

I agree. I think there is time to learn, he is insanely inexperienced.

But… Right now he has issues as a passer. Reads. Accuracy. He even made some runs that exposed him to hits.

If I were a 49’ers fan I’d be nervous. Talented as hell. No doubt. But… I dunno.

JYB

Starter
If I were a 49’ers fan I’d be nervous.

So would I. They mortgaged their future for this guy and yesterday he looked like a free agent project. Inaccurate, threw wobblers, zero touch, no anticipation, long/looping windup that telegraphs passes and leads to lots of batted passes, etc. Was cringeworthy. He can certainly move around, scramble, avoid the rush, etc, but his passing was grotesque. It's only his first start, so he obviously has lots of room to grow, but he showed NOTHING as a passer.

I'd be EXTREMELY worried if the Rams had spent so much draft capital on such a project. If he busts out, the Niners are done for a long time, because that team has been sustained by the many draft picks spent on their D-line, which has been the heart of that team for years. And now they have no picks to maintain that strategy for the foreseeable future.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB has to fit the system and Jones is a better fit for what Shanny likes to run. The more I see, the more Im convinced that Coach wanted Jones, and the FO wanted Lance

dang

Legend
#1 I hate the 69ers, their obnoxious fans and their evil offspring. I hope their future is full of nothing but heartbreak and disappointment.

With that said there is something special about Lance. He’s only had one full college season but he just showed a rare natural ability to lead with confidence and skill at a very young age. He was the best QB I had ever seen at the FCS level. As a JMU alumni I pay close attention to that level of college football.

There is much that needs to happen in order for Lance to progress into a good NFL QB but IMO he was definately worth the #3 pick this year.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Knee sprain for Lance--already. Watched all of the Cards-Niners game. Like many on here, my main thought was, "there is no way Lance is going to last an entire season playing that way." Looks like Wentz 2.0.