Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

When I look at Lance, I see an elite athlete. Great mobility and a cannon for an arm. All the raw tools for a franchise QB.

Will he pan out or not, I don't know, but his talent jumps off the screen.
Agree,his game against Rochelle (aka RR) you could see his talent.He is not good in the pocket though.He makes one read & then out.He scares me the way he runs though.He made more plays with his legs,but is more of a straight up runner.— not good for the NFL.
Yeah- will see how Shanahan does with him.We saw what’s happening in NE. Then maybe even opening game against The Rams.That was a lot to give up with all that talent that would have still been there & QB’s that might be better.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

When I look at Lance, I see an elite athlete. Great mobility and a cannon for an arm. All the raw tools for a franchise QB.

Will he pan out or not, I don't know, but his talent jumps off the screen.
I'm interested in your take here. Are elite athleticism, mobility, and a cannon arm really "all the raw tools for a franchise QB"? I feel like there's a lot, like A LOT, of other tools a QB needs. I would even think they are more important than those the things. Accuracy, field vision, decision making, etc (yeah I'm using etc because I can't thing of anything else).

However, I don't ever evaluate college players, so I'm interested in if you think that someone coming to the NFl with only the raw tools (like you identified) and lacking the other tools (as others have mentioned) really is a great prospect. Genuinely curious, really not trying to be an asshole.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A second analyst now saying Lance throws a hard-to-catch ball, and he puts too much mustard on the short routes. Hope they're right
I've heard many Niner fans tell me the same thing, they're really worried about a lack of touch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
brett favre had the touch of a sledgehammer.

Sometimes, he was also able to throw with precision even when throwing it hard. Lance thus far is a far cry from Favre. Many QB's have had a cannon for an arm but knew how to complete a pass, it's a very real problem with Lance just like it was a short coming for one of his Niner predecessors Kap.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes, he was also able to throw with precision even when throwing it hard. Lance thus far is a far cry from Favre. Many QB's have had a cannon for an arm but knew how to complete a pass, it's a very real problem with Lance just like it was a short coming for one of his Niner predecessors Kap.

the only trait i want lance to share with favre was his ability to throw interceptions. he holds a record that will never be broken for throwing the most interceptions in nfl history. i'm hoping lance makes a run for it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm interested in your take here. Are elite athleticism, mobility, and a cannon arm really "all the raw tools for a franchise QB"? I feel like there's a lot, like A LOT, of other tools a QB needs. I would even think they are more important than those the things. Accuracy, field vision, decision making, etc (yeah I'm using etc because I can't thing of anything else).

However, I don't ever evaluate college players, so I'm interested in if you think that someone coming to the NFl with only the raw tools (like you identified) and lacking the other tools (as others have mentioned) really is a great prospect. Genuinely curious, really not trying to be an asshole.
Yeah I'd imagine we are in agreement on everything.

Yes, I agree that a franchise QB would ideally have EVERYTHING-- ie, great mobility, elite athleticism, a cannon arm, AND all the other things you mentioned, like accuracy, field vision, decision making, etc. And leadership too.

Im a diehard Rams fan, but only a casual fan of the NFL and other teams. I'm not a draft guy, either. My post was simply intended to state that IMHO Lance has that "wow" factor of an elite athlete with superior natural skills.

Does Lance have a knack for the cerebral part of the game? And can he take well to coaching? I have no idea, I haven't researched him much.

I'm just saying the raw tools are there. (For example: I loved Perkins performance, but Perkins does NOT have a rocket arm like Lance does.)

For me, Lance is a big unknown. Given his superior natural ability, and Shanahan's obvious coaching talent, I could see Lance developing into a scary good QB. On the other hand, given that Lance is so drastically inexperienced, it could be the case that he'll never show the ability to adapt to the pro game. Guess we'll all find out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Asshole! :ROFLMAO:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Yes, I agree that a franchise QB would ideally have EVERYTHING-- ie, great mobility, elite athleticism, a cannon arm, AND all the other things you mentioned, like accuracy, field vision, decision making, etc. And leadership too.

Im a diehard Rams fan, but only a casual fan of the NFL and other teams. I'm not a draft guy, either. My post was simply intended to state that IMHO Lance has that "wow" factor of an elite athlete with superior natural skills.

Does Lance have a knack for the cerebral part of the game? And can he take well to coaching? I have no idea, I haven't researched him much.

I'm just saying the raw tools are there. (For example: I loved Perkins performance, but Perkins does NOT have a rocket arm like Lance does.)

For me, Lance is a big unknown. Given his superior natural ability, and Shanahan's obvious coaching talent, I could see Lance developing into a scary good QB. On the other hand, given that Lance is so drastically inexperienced, it could be the case that he'll never show the ability to adapt to the pro game. Guess we'll all find out.
Oh, I thought you might have been a secret draft guy. I don't remember seeing mocks from you but I figured you'd done some work on it. We're in the same boat then.
Story of my life.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the only trait i want lance to share with favre was his ability to throw interceptions. he holds a record that will never be broken for throwing the most interceptions in nfl history. i'm hoping lance makes a run for it.

That would be bad for us. If he's starting long enough to make a run at that record, he's a good QB. ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hear he has syphillis of the hand....
Maybe. And when Jimmy GQ's vaginitis flares up again that syphillis will be Shanahan's downfall.

giphy.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Back around draft time I read a report on Trey Lance claiming that he is very good at reading defenses already.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Is it me or doesn't he remind you C Kap
questionable touch, athletic, raw, will make some wow plays then miss some easy ones.
I can't help but think CK2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it me or doesn't he remind you C Kap
questionable touch, athletic, raw, will make some wow plays then miss some easy ones.
I can't help but think CK2
Kid was always going to be a project who needs a lot of development. I wouldn't draw a lot of conclusions from this preseason. Plus, I honestly think Kyle Shanahan could have gotten some very good years out of prime Kaepernick. I have mad respect for Kyle as an offensive mind. I think McVay is the better HC, while Kyle is the better offensive mind/play caller.