The ugly question. Would you do this trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If AD insists on QB money which the Rams can't do, would you entertain a trade for Jadaveon Clowney?

• No. Simply no. We HAVE to work it out with AD.

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • No. Maybe for someone else, but not Clowney.

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Yes. But only if we extend Suh

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Yes. Whether we extend Suh or not.

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I always hated how Pace held the Rams hostage and commanded top money on two consecutive franchise tags when they were still trying to make one more run.

Seems like Donald is kind of doing something similar. He deserves his money, but $20M or $21M vs $25M... is that really an issue for his long term financial well being?

Yet an extra $5M per year may mean being able to pay to keep a key offensive linemen to protect Goff.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No I trade him for draft picks. We had one hell of a draft last year and that was without a first round pick. I'd be excited to see what they can do with multiple firsts.

That also has the added benefit of helping our cap situation. Clowney will soon need to be paid and will probably seek $18 million-ish per season, and he's not worth that.

But Donald doesn't have nearly as much trade value as we would want to believe. Why would a team pay a high price for a player AND pay him the $25 million (or more) that he's demanding? The list of teams that could do that are small, and the list that would probably doesn't exist.

The logical step is to let Donald sit out this season, then slap the highest RFA tender on him and see if a team is willing to sign him to the deal he wants and give up their first round pick. Then we can decide whether to match or take the pick.

I believe he would sign an offer sheet for somewhere in between what he wants and what the Rams want to pay him - then we would match.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not sure I would trade Donald straight up for any player. But I would consider a couple first round picks with someone like Cleveland who we know will be a top 5. If Donald's holdout continues into the season, I think their hand will be forced and they may have to give in and pay him or trade him.

I hope it doesn't come to that. We have a shot at one of those once a generation defenses like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens with Donald in there.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would probably need more than that even if Clowney had been healthy ... and he hasn't been for much of his career.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But Donald doesn't have nearly as much trade value as we would want to believe. Why would a team pay a high price for a player AND pay him the $25 million (or more) that he's demanding? The list of teams that could do that are small, and the list that would probably doesn't exist.

I don't think a sane GM would consider making a trade for AD. Not with him wanting the $$$ he wants.

He's only hurting himself here, the Rams are going to take the field with or without him. This is not going to get a deal done any sooner.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, he isn't.

Not in the current Salary Cap NFL.

That would be over 1/6 of the available resources. Spent on a great defensive player, but still a player who is in there about 70% of defensive plays, or approximately 35% of total plays. One out of 22 starters on the team, with multiple other players getting time, plus special teams. With the rules being adjusted over the years to favor the offense - especially passing offense - so that by far the most important player for team success is the QB. In order for a DT/DE in a 3/4 to be worth $30 million he would have to dominate in a way that no NFL player has ever dominated, basically flinging the OL around like they were high schoolers and getting to the QB on almost every passing play, while making it impossible to run anywhere close to him. But while AD is great, he's not even vaguely that great. And if he's intent on being paid like that, if he believes he is that much more valuable than everybody else, then he is the problem and the Rams are probably best off getting value for him, and letting others make a team destroying mistake.

I agree.

And I think Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL, and I like him..

But Donald has been dominant since he stepped on the field - and yet, our defense has always been lacking in one area or another. It's not Donald's fault necessarily, but it outlines just why paying one player that much money is a bad idea.

You pay a QB that much money because they touch the ball on every play. Even on handoffs. And just to exaggerate to make the point - even on run plays, the handoff has been botched by a QB and cost their team the game in at least one infamous circumstance.

If Donald was lined up over the ball and for some reason the offense HAD to run at him every play or single block him in pass protection, then sure, pay the man. I know I'm oversimplifying and he has a bigger impact than that - but at the end of the day, his impact doesn't lead to the type of end results that you would hope for.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think a sane GM would consider making a trade for AD. Not with him wanting the $$$ he wants.

He's only hurting himself here, the Rams are going to take the field with or without him. This is not going to get a deal done any sooner.

If he truly sits out, I doubt a team would view that favorably. Seems as though this line of action will only cost him money both in the short and long term.

A line of Brockers/Suh/Westbrooks is still an above average line - maybe even top 10. If we get some development from the LB group, we can still be a very good defense without Donald. I don't think he will sit out more than one or two games, because we can win without him.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
This is a tough situation. First I wouldn't trade straight up for Clowney too many injuries and not worth a straight up trade.

Paying AD so much hurts us in other areas. Trading for 2 first sounds good but they could be busts or good not great. Draft picks are hard to judge just look at AD. He was not top ten, said to be too small but turned out to be special. We drafted two top two OL picks neither worked out drafting is somewhat of a a crap shoot.

The analysis for the Rams is what is most we should pay as to not hurt the overall team down the road.

I always look at the Patriots. They seem to dump high priced players when it hurts the whole. Sure AD is a great player and may not fit that exact Patriots trade or letting a expensive player go mold, but we have to hold strong and make sure we are making sound financial to ensure our long term future. We have Peters, Goff possibly Suh, Joyner etc we will need to pay and others this will be an issue but clearly McVay, Snead and Demoff know this way better than we do.

Ram65

Legend
It doesn't make sense to get a player that is also going to need a new big contract. He has injury history.

A young starter and draft picks. At least 2 #1's and 1 #2.

Not sure a team would do that. Rams would have to find what teams would pay. Donald is not untouchable.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he truly sits out, I doubt a team would view that favorably. Seems as though this line of action will only cost him money both in the short and long term.

A line of Brockers/Suh/Westbrooks is still an above average line - maybe even top 10. If we get some development from the LB group, we can still be a very good defense without Donald. I don't think he will sit out more than one or two games, because we can win without him.

I fully expect the Rams to not only go 3-0 in the first three games, but at least two of those games will be tough, but lead to solid to dominant wins.

If Donald isn't already in for the first 3 games, his negotiating power will REALLY diminish around the league.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Problem is that Mack and AD both want QB money.

I just hope AD signs soon and we can get to the business of freakin' ROFLSTOMPING this season.

fearsomefour

Legend

I just hope AD signs soon and we can get to the business of freakin' ROFLSTOMPING this season.
I'm not trading Donald so it hypothetical for me.
He would not be replaced with a like player so it would barely matter.

A55VA6

Legend
Either sign him long term or franchise tag him multiple times. Trading Donald is taking an L because he's worth more than whatever a team gives us. If we were to trade him, I'm talking multiple 1st round picks + some and even then I wouldn't be satisfied.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
A defense can carry a team to the SB, but not a defender. A QB can. They have the ball in their hands every play, a defender does not.

I don't know if it's the terms or the price tag that's causing this "holdup" (see what I did there?), but there is no way the Rams are gonna give Donald top QB $$. It would be impractical because even if he's a better player at his position, he isn't in position to win games like a QB.

Franchise QBs are basically $30mil per year men now. That's probably what Goff will get when he is re-signed/extended. The Rams FO knows this. Goff and HIS agent know this. Certainly, Donald's camp knows this too. What are they thinking is enough $$? How's $25mil a year? Then in 2-3 seasons we can have Gurley ($15 mil), Goff ($30mil), and Donald ($25mil) for a total of $70 mil out there and a bunch of 5/6 rounders and UDFAs. Not good ones either.

No. This a big problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Either sign him long term or franchise tag him multiple times. Trading Donald is taking an L because he's worth more than whatever a team gives us. If we were to trade him, I'm talking multiple 1st round picks + some and even then I wouldn't be satisfied.

This is pretty close to where I am at.

It’s unfortunate we have to deal with this, but the Rams need to be firm.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm hoping they end up signing him. Maybe he's realized that he'll never be given top QB pay, so he'll set the negotiations for a record amount of guaranteed money or something like that.

But if he doesn't report and isn't going to report until there are 6 games left in the season, then the Rams won't be losing that much trading him and might be better off. Keep in mind that part of what the Rams gain is cap space. If they franchise him in future years, that money can't be spent on other players. And the Rams will be stuck, their roster being in limbo for AD. While not as good as an on time, motivated, and affordable AD, $20 some million plus picks to spend on other players could mean a solid and deep OL, or maybe an impact edge rusher plus help for the OL, or help elsewhere.

We'll see if Snead is being optimistic, is being realistic, or is trying to pull the wool over other teams' eyes. Hopefully he's being realistic, but remember - signing AD at over 10% of the cap will mean that other players will be gone.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I hope it doesn't come to that. We have a shot at one of those once a generation defenses like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens with Donald in there.

It's definitely possible to put together a great D, but we won't be able to afford and sustain the D if we pay Donald what he wants unfortunately. Donald isn't buying into the "We not me" mindset our team is trying to instill

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I don't think we could find a trading partner for AD. For as much as he wants, no team is going to want him for that price IMHO. Maybe I'm wrong. I think we just keep tagging him for as long as we have his rights if he keeps playing this "I want top QB money" bullshit.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

When you think about it, Mack is a better fit in LA playing a 3/4, Donald might be better in Las Vegas in a 4/3.... they do play a 4/3 don't they?

So that is an interesting move.... That will never happen, but interesting.