The ugly question. Would you do this trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If AD insists on QB money which the Rams can't do, would you entertain a trade for Jadaveon Clowney?

• No. Simply no. We HAVE to work it out with AD.

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • No. Maybe for someone else, but not Clowney.

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Yes. But only if we extend Suh

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Yes. Whether we extend Suh or not.

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If the AD thing goes sideways and it becomes clear that a) he'll only play for 6 games or b) he won't play at all, the Rams have a decision to make.

One thought just came to mind.

Would you be willing to trade AD for Jadaveon Clowney straight up (this would likely necessitate seeing if we could extend Suh...who as someone who admires guys like Kroenke and Warren Buffet KNOWS the value LA extends as opposed to other cities and how that opens up opportunities outside of football both during and after his career)

Of course, all of this is predicated upon AD essentially going nuclear and doing the absolute minimum until he can get to that QB money contract.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I like Clowney but I don't think it's a fair trade for the Rams if it's just straight up. His injury history scares me a litte too.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Clowney will be asking for alot of money soon, I would honestly take AD alone over Suh and Clowney .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmm. A lesser but still expensive talent, injury history, probably going to be very expensive soon?

No. While I would like to get a young player or two back in a trade who the coaches think can fill one or two of the 6 non-AD spots who are free agents after this season, I would rather get picks that will provide affordable depth, instead of a downgrade that could very easily have the same issues of demanding more salary than his actual on the field production is worth.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No, only for either two first round draft picks or a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3d next year. The longer this goes on the more I favor these two options. Clowney is too much of a risk health-wise.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jadeveon-clowney/6932

Jan 8, 2018/ Knee Strain Grade 1/ Clowney underwent arthroscopic knee surgery shortly after the 2017 season ended.

Jan 23, 2017/ Knee Strain Grade 1/ Clowney underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee after the 2016 season.

Dec 24, 2016/ Arm Elbow Sprain

Nov 27, 2016/ Arm Elbow Sprain

Dec 27, 2015/ Pedal Lisfranc Sprain

Nov 1, 2015/ Back Lower Lumbar Sprain

Oct 8, 2015/ Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2

Nov 23, 2014/ Knee Meniscus Tear - Clowney missed the final 5 games of the season dealing with complications from his September surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. He had microfracture surgery in December.

Sep 7, 2014/ Knee Meniscus Tear - Clowney underwent surgery for a torn lateral meniscus in his knee.

Aug 14, 2014/ Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 - Clowney missed about a week of training camp with a concussion.

Jun 3, 2014/ Non-NFL Inguinal Groin Sports Hernia

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Clowney, and I still say hell no.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

AD will not be going anywhere. He knows he has to sign with the rams. No team is giving up 2 1sts plus the salary he wants.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It would have to be for someone else for me. I'm not sure that player(s) is in the league right now. Picks make it less gut wrenching but if it goes bad I'd want a boat load of picks.

I remember last year and wasn't happy at first but the production was still there when he got back. It wouldn't surprise me that its been done all along.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, the knee worries me, too.

I put this up because the Rams may have to do something and it was just a crazy idea that popped into my head.

The Texans may be okay with that because they don't know the future of JJ Watt and because they're not in the $30M QB club.

Was just an idea.

Is there a player out there even if picks were also included that makes any kind of sense in a trade?

If we didn't have Gurley, I'd say LeVeon Bell, but a) AD wants almost double what Bell is asking and b) the Steelers don't pay record setting contracts.

We just got Cooks who I think is maybe the best #1 fit in the NFL for McVay's offense and we already have our franchise QB in Goff.

You could posit AD for Von Miller, maybe?

I dunno. Is there any possible trade or is it likely to be solely for picks, which I'm leery of because even if losing AD becomes inevitable (and I'll keep saying I hope it isn't)?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AD will not be going anywhere. He knows he has to sign with the rams. No team is giving up 2 1sts plus the salary he wants.

Cleveland could. They'll have the cap space and can't seem to draft worth a damn lately.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If you trade him, you trade him for cheap, high draft picks. Maybe if a team has a decent 5 technique to fill his role, you throw him in as a short term replacement as well, but you take high picks that can save you money for 4 years.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we’d have to be insane to trade AD to a divisional rival.

Well, for the right trade it could be done. But a trade for draft picks (and cap room) only leaves the Rams weaker in 2018, while strengthening the 49ers at the same time.

In order for this to even be a possibility, the Rams would need to get some young player back - probably not a starter - that they secretly covet. PLUS enough picks that they believe puts them far ahead. Unlikely.

I suspect any AD trade at this point will involve some young, cheap player who is blocked, but who the Rams think will help. Or a throw in vet who the Rams think will help this season; plus a bunch of picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The price for Donald starts at . . . "Get the fuck out, 49ers." ;)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I've said it on here before, but I wouldn't trade Donald for anything less than 2 firsts, 2 seconds, maybe a third, plus conditional picks based on his performance for as long as he was with that team: another 1 if they win the SB, a 2 if he makes all pro, a 3 if he makes the pro bowl.

jjab360

Legend
That trade makes no sense. Why would we trade a HOF talent on a one year contract for a lesser talent on a one year contract? Either way somebody has to get paid, difference is Clowney is already making considerably more for this year.

Donald doesn't go for anything less than multiple firsts imo. And I really don't want to see him go, but we've got a ton of other young players who have to get paid as well and it seems the relationship between the Rams FO and AD's agents is beginning to get more strained with time.