49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just read that the Vikings decided not to sign a three year extension for Kirk Cousins. This could have some ramifications.

It could give the Niners a fallback for the future, if they are not satisfied with the play of their three QBs.

This also means that the Vikings are likely looking at the same draftable QBs that the Rams are. (Ayden O’Connel Purdue, Jaren Hall, BYU) So if the Rams really want one of these QBs Snead better not play any games and lose him like the Bobby Wagner draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hell Yeah.

They can hang the Most Fans At SOFI Banner in their shithole stadium.

And we can hoist our Super Bowl Championship Banner in the greatest stadium on the planet.

Every time I get on the 105 fwy heading South ,I tell my girlfriend. There she is,how beautiful of a stadium. We went there for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers & to the YouTube theater.
The Rams are A -FIRST CLASS organization. Going to SOFI Stadium for FREE,being the first one’s in for OTA was very sweet.
SAD thing is the chargers play there. 2028 olympics & World Cup(‘’’’).

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

49ers QB Trey Lance Not Ready to Start, Development Will Take Time​

Mike Martz Super Bowl Champion Head Coach
March 23, 20233 min Watch
FacebookTwitterLinkedIn
I remember the first time I saw Brock Purdy play. He was calm and steady from the moment he saw his first meaningful NFL snaps. Chaos was all around him; the player in front of him on the San Francisco 49ers depth chart — Jimmy Garoppolo — had just broken his foot, and the last player picked in the draft, in his first NFL season, stepped in with the composure of a 15-year veteran quarterback.
He was decisive, accurate and confident while leading the 49ers to nine straight victories last season.
It’s striking how different Purdy is compared to the quarterback who entered the 2022 season atop the 49ers’ depth chart. Because you just don’t see those same qualities with Trey Lance.

It’s easy to see what the 49ers fell in love with. Physically, Lance is impressive. He can throw it, has good skills, and he’s athletic. Those three things made him stand out in pre-draft workouts.
But he’s not quick with the ball. He doesn’t look like he knows the offense very well, either. Like many young quarterbacks, he tracks receivers; he gets right to his No. 1 with his eyes, which against zone coverage pulls everybody in that direction. That’s detrimental.
The speed of the game, handling information and retaining it, and then being able to apply it on the field instantly — like Purdy does — it’s just not there for Lance. It’s the hardest thing to do for a quarterback in the NFL. And then how calm is he under the gun? Some guys just aren’t able to do it, they buckle under pressure, even with good players around them. That’s what I see in Lance.

quarterback Trey Lance

He’s slow to act and doesn’t appear very confident. Honestly, he looks out of place. Maybe over time he gets there, but he’s a long ways away right now.
The 49ers are in a bit of a predicament. Purdy is the unquestioned starter after what he showed last season, and I suspect Sam Darnold wasn’t signed to be inactive on game days. So, where does that leave Lance?

>> READ: Why Lance Could Be Traded

You never want to give up on a quarterback in this league after just four career starts, especially one taken with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft like Lance was just two years ago. Because he has such a limited background — he had 17 starts in three seasons at North Dakota State — you want to give him a chance.
I think things would improve if you kept him for three years and had him around so he could learn the offense. Still, he tracks receivers, and no matter how much coaching or time he has to sit and learn, that’s a difficult habit to break. Quarterbacks who track receivers want to see where everything is, where they’re going to throw the ball right away. You can’t do that in the NFL.
It’s probably unfair to him to say he can’t play in this league at a high level, but right now he can’t, and there’s no doubt the 49ers recognize this as well.

Mike Martz is a former NFL head coach and offensive coordinator, most notably for the St. Louis Rams. He was the OC for the Rams’ “Greatest Show on Turf” offense in 1999 when they won Super Bowl XXXIV. As head coach, he led the Rams to two division titles, and an appearance in Super Bowl XXXVI.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

FacebookTwitterLinkedIn
I remember the first time I saw Brock Purdy play. He was calm and steady from the moment he saw his first meaningful NFL snaps. Chaos was all around him; the player in front of him on the San Francisco 49ers depth chart — Jimmy Garoppolo — had just broken his foot, and the last player picked in the draft, in his first NFL season, stepped in with the composure of a 15-year veteran quarterback.
He was decisive, accurate and confident while leading the 49ers to nine straight victories last season.
It’s striking how different Purdy is compared to the quarterback who entered the 2022 season atop the 49ers’ depth chart. Because you just don’t see those same qualities with Trey Lance.

It’s easy to see what the 49ers fell in love with. Physically, Lance is impressive. He can throw it, has good skills, and he’s athletic. Those three things made him stand out in pre-draft workouts.
But he’s not quick with the ball. He doesn’t look like he knows the offense very well, either. Like many young quarterbacks, he tracks receivers; he gets right to his No. 1 with his eyes, which against zone coverage pulls everybody in that direction. That’s detrimental.
The speed of the game, handling information and retaining it, and then being able to apply it on the field instantly — like Purdy does — it’s just not there for Lance. It’s the hardest thing to do for a quarterback in the NFL. And then how calm is he under the gun? Some guys just aren’t able to do it, they buckle under pressure, even with good players around them. That’s what I see in Lance.

quarterback Trey Lance

He’s slow to act and doesn’t appear very confident. Honestly, he looks out of place. Maybe over time he gets there, but he’s a long ways away right now.
The 49ers are in a bit of a predicament. Purdy is the unquestioned starter after what he showed last season, and I suspect Sam Darnold wasn’t signed to be inactive on game days. So, where does that leave Lance?

You never want to give up on a quarterback in this league after just four career starts, especially one taken with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft like Lance was just two years ago. Because he has such a limited background — he had 17 starts in three seasons at North Dakota State — you want to give him a chance.
I think things would improve if you kept him for three years and had him around so he could learn the offense. Still, he tracks receivers, and no matter how much coaching or time he has to sit and learn, that’s a difficult habit to break. Quarterbacks who track receivers want to see where everything is, where they’re going to throw the ball right away. You can’t do that in the NFL.
It’s probably unfair to him to say he can’t play in this league at a high level, but right now he can’t, and there’s no doubt the 49ers recognize this as well.

Mike Martz is a former NFL head coach and offensive coordinator, most notably for the St. Louis Rams. He was the OC for the Rams’ “Greatest Show on Turf” offense in 1999 when they won Super Bowl XXXIV. As head coach, he led the Rams to two division titles, and an appearance in Super Bowl XXXVI.
Talk about a MONDAY QB.

After he WINS every game as a starter Mad Mike Speaks up.

His EGO is bigger than his HEAD.
He still has a head injury from Shaw & co(z)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The 49ers have a roster built to win the NFC. Any quarterback should look good in that system. Just get the ball to the playmakers and let them do the work.

But they have one problem. The quarterback position. When you get in the playoffs that position needs to be rock solid be able to make throws when it counts. The other top teams in the conference have better quarterbacks. Prescott, Hurts, Cousins. Even Goff is better. Heck, the Rams might not be a playoff team and they have a better quarterback.

If the 49ers do make it to the Superbowl they will be facing a really good quarterback. Likely Mahomes, Burrow or Allen. I have a feeling they will be one of those teams who have plenty of excitement during the season only to see disappointment at the end. Being a Rams fan during the 70's I know what that is like.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The 49ers have a roster built to win the NFC. Any quarterback should look good in that system. Just get the ball to the playmakers and let them do the work.

But they have one problem. The quarterback position. When you get in the playoffs that position needs to be rock solid be able to make throws when it counts. The other top teams in the conference have better quarterbacks. Prescott, Hurts, Cousins. Even Goff is better. Heck, the Rams might not be a playoff team and they have a better quarterback.

If the 49ers do make it to the Superbowl they will be facing a really good quarterback. Likely Mahomes, Burrow or Allen. I have a feeling they will be one of those teams who have plenty of excitement during the season only to see disappointment at the end. Being a Rams fan during the 70's I know what that is like.
The Vikings didn’t sign Cousins to an extension. He may be a free agent in 2024. He and Shanahan are familiar with each other and if Purdy doesn’t work out, they could look to sign Cousins.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Even if it means losing every Rams regular season to the niners & having there FAN BASE totally dominating Ram Fans at SOFI including playoff’s.Maybe beating them once to win the Superbowl?

Nobody likes losing to the whiners, ever!

But would you rather be 6-0 in the regular season with bitter losses to end the season or 0-6 in the regular season, but beating the ass wipes in the NFCCG and winning the Super bowl? Seeing trash talking dweebo crying after the game was priceless.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please make it a quick "penthouse to the outhouse" for the 49's. The talent on this team is ridiculous and they have to pay the piper at some point. They seem to have unlimited Brinks trucks of money for said talent and they keep falling short of a SB. Let's hope this year is the last run and then the wheels fly off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

FacebookTwitterLinkedIn

quarterback Trey Lance

That’s a good read. Martz nailed it.

From DAY-1 Trey Lance looked like he’s in a fire drill out there. Everything 1000 MPH. Like Martz said, he looks out of place.

The 49’ers totally whiffed that evaluation.

They traded up to No. 3 in the 2021 draft and sent their 2021, 2022 and 2023 first-round choices, along with a third-round pick in the 2022 draft to the Dolphins.

:laugh4:

For Trey Lance.

Epic FAIL.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
That’s a good read. Martz nailed it.

From DAY-1 Trey Lance looked like he’s in a fire drill out there. Everything 1000 MPH. Like Martz said, he looks out of place.

The 49’ers totally whiffed that evaluation.

They traded up to No. 3 in the 2021 draft and sent their 2021, 2022 and 2023 first-round choices, along with a third-round pick in the 2022 draft to the Dolphins.

For Trey Lance.

Epic FAIL.
Sir Lance-cost-alot

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Kyle Shanahan: Trey Lance could 'regain' 49ers QB job with Brock Purdy sidelined​

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said Tuesday that Lance has "a chance to regain" the starting job with Purdy sidelined following offseason elbow surgery, according to The Athletic's David Lombardi.

Purdy's recovery is expected to take anywhere from six-to-eight months, though Shanahan said the team will have more clarity around the three-month mark, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. Shanahan offered a timeline of Weeks 1-4 for a potential return.

Lance is also coming back from an ankle injury that ended his 2022 campaign after two starts. He'll be joined by free-agent signing Sam Darnold in the quarterback room while Purdy rehabs his injury.

Shanahan added that he expects Lance and Darnold to both get first-team reps this offseason.

General manager John Lynch said Monday that Purdy figured to be the club's starter heading into the 2023 season. The 2022 seventh-rounder took the league by storm last year, throwing for 16 touchdowns to four interceptions while also winning his first seven starts (including playoffs) before getting hurt in the NFC Championship Game.

The 49ers traded up to No. 3 overall in 2021 to select Lance with the hopes he would be their future franchise quarterback. However, he has started just four career games and has thrown for five touchdowns to three interceptions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Kyle Shanahan: Trey Lance could 'regain' 49ers QB job with Brock Purdy sidelined​

It seems to not matter, Shanahan could run Little Lord Fauntleroy and somehow the 49ers would keep winning.
0599r.jpg

Tano

Legend
Nobody likes losing to the whiners, ever!

But would you rather be 6-0 in the regular season with bitter losses to end the season or 0-6 in the regular season, but beating the ass wipes in the NFCCG and winning the Super bowl? Seeing trash talking dweebo crying after the game was priceless.
I'm greedy - I want to be 2-0 against them in the regular season every year and beat the crap out of them in the playoffs when we meet them.

Halloween GIF by Pop-Tarts

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Sure - Lynch just came out & said Purdy is their guy. What he did has never been done.
In a way I glad we don’t know how good he could have been because the niners lost. Sucks it was because of injury. The guy never lost an NFL game & won a playoff game.
Sam Darnold thought if you’re wanting to find out about any WB winning with them Will Pass that test. Brian Griese IMO is an excellent QB coach.
In a way hope I’m proven wrong.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Why Trey Lance move hasn’t worked out for 49ers, yet​

Being successful in business requires taking risks. Those risks sometimes pay off tenfold. Other times they blow up in your face.

During the 2021 offseason the 49ers felt a change was needed to get a sixth Lombardi Trophy. The organization had a capable roster. Unfortunately, the most important player on the team could not stay healthy to get them over the top.

John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan decided to take a risk.

On March 26, San Francisco sent three first round picks and a third rounder to the Miami Dolphins for the third pick in the draft.

The 49ers chose Trey Lance.

So far the risk hasn’t paid off.

During training camp as a rookie, Lance wowed everyone on hand with big plays. The rookie showed off his arm and athleticism while making plays not seen on the practice field in Santa Clara in many years.

While on a radio interview prior to the first preseason game, Lynch proclaimed Lance was “pushing Garoppolo.” Lance went out and fired an 80-yard touchdown to Trent Sherfield on the 49ers second offensive possession.

The sky was the limit.

Shanahan followed up the performance by giving Lance more opportunities to show what he could do with the starters. Instead of continuing to climb, Lance leveled off and the team chose to go forward with Garoppolo.

In week four, Lance was thrust into the middle of a tie game against Seattle after Garoppolo could not return due injury. The 49ers offense sputtered along and San Francisco fell 28-21.

A loss against Arizona followed the next week, the offense with Lance at the helm once again unable to find any rhythm. To make matters worse, Lance suffered a knee injury.

Lance would get another shot late in the season. This time he made the most of it.

In a must win week 17 contest against Houston, Lance hit his stride late in the first half helping the 49ers to a win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Despite the performance, Shanahan turned the reins back to Garoppolo for the regular season finale and postseason.

Heading into year two, the 49ers handed the keys over to Lance.

After a training camp and preseason full of uneven performances, Lance was met with bad conditions for week one in a loss to Chicago. Near the end of the first quarter against Seattle the first week, the quarterback went down with a severe ankle injury.

A year of much needed development for the young quarterback out the window.

Without Lance, San Francisco turned back to Jimmy Garoppolo and won six of their next nine. Garoppolo would go down with another injury, the story of his career, and was replaced by rookie Brock Purdy.

Purdy wasted no time doing what Lance was unable to do the year before, taking the opportunity and turning the league on its ear.

With Purdy at the controls San Francisco averaged over 30 points per game on the way to the NFC championship game.

By going 7-1 and completing 151 of 224 attempts for 1,877 yards, 16 touchdowns with just three interceptions, Purdy took the job.

However, a torn UCL has placed Purdy’s availability in doubt and left the door open for Lance to get another chance.

Speaking from the NFL owner’s meeting on Tuesday, Shanahan said, “the good thing for him (Lance) is with Brock being hurt, he has an opportunity to regain that (the starting job).”

This is the final opportunity for Lance to fulfill the potential San Francisco saw when they risked so much to get him.

“Trey Lance has a super high ceiling,” said George Kittle during a recent interview on the Bussin’ With The Boys podcast. “There’s so many things that he could do. He has an unreal arm. He has this mobility. He’s a big guy, he can run the ball.”

Heading into his third NFL training camp, it is time for Lance to decide his fate in a 49ers uniform. If the former third overall pick is truly the guy San Francisco thought they were getting, he will go out and take the starting quarterback job and run with it.

For San Francisco, it’s one last chance to see their risk pay off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“Trey Lance has a super high ceiling,” said George Kittle during a recent interview on the Bussin’ With The Boys podcast. “There’s so many things that he could do. He has an unreal arm. He has this mobility. He’s a big guy, he can run the ball.”
In other words George Kittle… He sucks right now but every once in a while he makes a throw to get drafted #3 overall.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't care who the whiners have at QB. I hope they are all busts. Lance and Jimmy grabmypole could not stay healthy and Purdy so far hasn't changed that narrative. Purdy looks like a younger version of jimmy g, IMO. He throws the ball up for grabs under pressure and gets injured.

When your team had the #1 defense in the league, you can win a lot of games and even get to the NFCCG. Anyone remember the #1 defenses in the league that the 70's Rams had? How many super bowls did we win with Pat Haden, John Hadl, James Harris, Joe Namath, etc?

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s weird that a team with so much talent lacks the one position they need to win it all. At least the Rams hoisted the Lombardi Trophy after they gave up multiple first rounders. It’s almost as if karma is working giants them after all their shady deals over the years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The 49ers do have a roster built to win. They make it easy for a quarterback to succeed. Just throw safe passes to the playmakers and let them do the work. But if they want to win a championship they need that franchise caliber quarterback to be the difference. They might make it through a weak NFC. But chances are they're gonna face an elite quarterback from the AFC if they make it to the Superbowl.