The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah bud you can go through the "trade wilson for Goff thread" and try actually reading posts for once. If you think the oline hasn't improved then I doubt you've watched one Rams game this year. I would actually bet you haven't watched any games if you're saying that. There cant be any other explanation. Blythes improved play, Edwards and Corbett at G, and Hav being healthy this year has yielded a much much better line. Which has resulted in the 8th ranked rushing attack. And again we have the 2nd rated defense in the NFL.

So yea those improvements. ^^ just above this text. Still waiting for you to give another reason, OC didnt work, Preseason, we never play starters in the preseason good try.. whats next Covid?
It doesnt work that way. You make a claim, back it up. And stop being a keyboard warrior with silly comments. I didnt say the oline isnt playing better, Im asking what the improvements are? You said they made improvements, speak up. I already said they are playing healthy or did you not read that? Again, focus, take a deep breath.
Answer is, they didnt make improvements. They got rid of their deep threat in Cooks, their TD scored in Gurley and came back with the same oline crew. That's not making improvements. In case you forgot what started this conversation is in asking why the offense is a step behind last year.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Nah bud you can go through the "trade wilson for Goff thread" and.....

Might be the most awesome thread ever created. LOL (wink)

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Answer is, they didnt make improvements. They got rid of their deep threat in Cooks, their TD scored in Gurley and came back with the same oline crew. That's not making improvements.

Do you mind if I calmly disagree? Getting rid of Cooks was needed. He was never a factor all last season.
Getting rid of Gurley WAS definitely an improvement, with his knee and his attitude. We HAVE improved our offense, if not only by deletion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you mind if I calmly disagree? Getting rid of Cooks was needed. He was never a factor all last season.
Getting rid of Gurley WAS definitely an improvement, with his knee and his attitude. We HAVE improved our offense, if not only by deletion.
I'm not pining for either back, in the long run we are better off. Im just calling bullshit on thinking that we came in to this year having made improvements to the offense, which was suggested. Cooks appears to have regained his form and the deep threat is something the Rams are missing, alas if he comes back they probably dont re-sign Kupp and/or Woods.
Im not concerned with the offense, I think it will continue to get better, although losing Whit may prove disastrous

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Say what you want, but 58 f’ing touchdowns in 5 seasons have NOT been improved upon.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Last year Gurley had 12 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs on the season.
Malcolm Brown had 5 and 0. That's 17 rushing and 2 receiving for those two backs.

This year Henderson has 4 rushing TDs and 1 receiving TD
Brown had 5 rushing TDs. That's 9 and 1.

And there are 7 games left in the season.
Can those 2 combine for 9 TDs in 7 games?

If they can it's a wash. If they can't, depends on how close they get.

Tano

Legend
Has anyone noticed that the Cardinals with one of the highest scoring offenses have 2 points less than the Rams at the same point in this game and that's when McVay went into ultra conservative mode. Maybe Seattle's defense is no longer absolutely terrible.

TexasRam

Legend
Has anyone noticed that the Cardinals with one of the highest scoring offenses have 2 points less than the Rams at the same point in this game and that's when McVay went into ultra conservative mode. Maybe Seattle's defense is no longer absolutely terrible.

Because Seattle will have to go prevent, Kylie's final number will look like Goffs. Though Goff did it vs a non prevent and handed off to burn clock in Q4.

But the stats folks won't ever take this into consideration in a few weeks in the next Goff thread.:):fistbump:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams are the more capable running team among AZ and Seattle in terms of threatening with actual RB's and actually lining up and handing it off. Don't care about the QB scrambling numbers in that regard. That is an advantage for them in a different way. Our ground game is an advantage as long as McV continues with a balanced attack because the Rams simply are better at it.

I feel like those teams are afraid to hand it off on 3rd and 6.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Oops. Goff thread.
Okay my Goff comment is speed up the pocket clock a tick, and for God's sake speed up your release. Go watch Cal or 2017/2018 Rams highlights. That release has S L O W E D down and it began last season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay's Rams.....

5-2 against Wilson
3-1 against Dak
3-1 against Brees
2-0 against Murray
1-0 against Rodgers
1-0 against Rivers
1-0 against Mahomes
1-0 against Stafford
1-1 against Cousins
1-1 against Wentz
1-1 against Ryan

and if they win Monday, he's 1-1 against Brady

How is this possible with goff being so shit? Could it be possible that he is a very good qb? Maybe.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not pining for either back, in the long run we are better off. Im just calling bullshit on thinking that we came in to this year having made improvements to the offense, which was suggested. Cooks appears to have regained his form and the deep threat is something the Rams are missing, alas if he comes back they probably dont re-sign Kupp and/or Woods.
Im not concerned with the offense, I think it will continue to get better, although losing Whit may prove disastrous

Depends on what you mean by improvements - our run game is VASTLY improved. We may not have upgraded in terms of individual talent, but the offense is as a whole is certainly improved over how they played last year

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but the Rams aren't the only team investing heavily in weapons or paying talented skill guys. It happens all over the league and only one team wins the championship. IMO these takes are myopic.

I can't speak for everyone you're conversing with here, but i read some folks talking about our weapons not being as dynamically explosive or athletic as others. I would agree with that. For example we don't have a Metcalf, Jones, Hopkins etc. Those guys are rare.

I mean you can criticize our GM/personnel dept i guess... for not acquiring one of those type of guys...and criticize many other teams as well. IMO our WR core is very good but we are missing some speed and explosiveness. Should the Rams have just not payed our guys? Should they have let them all walk despite being good and just keep drafting and turning over the roster every year until we corner the market on the transcendent guys?

I think Goff has good enough weapons to be successful (which i assume was your original take) not ultra elite, but we are missing some particular skill sets IMO.

I definitely expect more out of the offense. I'll be the first to admit it. For me, the defense has saved the offense against Dallas, Seattle, and New York - the offense scored 23, 20 and 17 points, and we're paying more money to the offense than the defense. That matters to me personally, because if you're not getting the production from guys like you expect, that's a problem.

The Rams are in the bottom half of the league - below average - in scoring points. On top of that, they've also allowed 14 points - and really, 21 if we count the fumble that Miami returned to the one yard line - out of the 168 points allowed, they've allowed 12.5% - mostly just from the Miami game but still.

I have a problem with the offense, and I think everyone should - McVay clearly does too because he's made a comment after most games saying something like "defense gave us a chance" or "defense played great" along with some variation of "the offense has to do better".

Okay, so what's wrong with the offense? OL? Nope - sacks allowed good, run game, good - eye test, above average. Even in the Miami game, most of the pressure came from blitzing more than they could block, so definitely not their fault.

WRs? Maybe. Kupp has been disappointing this year with some drops - but I think it's a talented and deep group of skill players, and Henderson has been rated near the top of PFF all year (and he's looked that good).

Goff? He's definitely been disappointing at times.

McVay? I don't know. I think Seattle not getting Metcalf involved and not running the ball were bad coaching decisions, because the Rams defensive strength is the pass - so not only did you play to our strength, you did it without your best WR. Do we have a scenario like that? The Miami game, but I would prefer to pass against a team blitzing that much, so it's hard for me to blame him.

I hate crediting a QB with wins and losses. But people do it - and if people do it, QBs have to take the blame too.

But if people have an issue with our WRs, that's fine - I do think Goff needs a legit number one WR.

Hopkins was had for very little, we passed on Metcalf - that tells me this is the WR group McVay wants. So in a triangle of McVay/WRs/Goff, I have Goff as the entity holding the offense back right now. Yes, were 6-3 - but to win it all, we need the offense and Goff to be much, much better.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is this possible with goff being so shit? Could it be possible that he is a very good qb? Maybe.

Garrapolo is:

2-0 against Rodgers
1-0 against Brees
3-0 against Goff

I give Garrapolo ZERO credit for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.