The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than that we have played solid offense for a team without any explosive players. But we have a top defense so I don’t understand the problem.
Its not like we got eviscerated in a game like Tampa and Green Bay did. Even in the Rams worse loss, when they legit couldnt have played worse, they were only a play or two away from tying the game

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my opinion, and some of you have noted this... the only difference between this year's Rams and the Super Bowl Rams, is Todd Gurley. You just can't lose the NFL offensive MVP and not feel it. Everything else about the offense, including GOFF, is fine. They are more than capable... just not elite. Yet!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Notice you are the one saying our offense isn’t good enough. According to who? The media? By what standard are you making this assessment?

we put up 30+ on the bills, 24 in 3 quarters vs Seattle, same with Chicago.

we got outcoached vs Miami on the zero blitz but seemed to have figured out our counter to that. We had a Kupp TD drop vs SF and Goff had an off day. It happens to every QB.

Other than that we have played solid offense for a team without any explosive players. But we have a top defense so I don’t understand the problem.

No lol I am a die-hard Rams fans that never misses a game - I don't use the media to form any opinion about them.

The offense is not playing well enough - they're now below average in PPG, I don't think they've looked good enough outside of the Philly, Buffalo and Washington games, and McVay has said several times after games that the offense needs to get better.

Yes, were winning games - but Seattle fans had a right to be upset about their defense even though they were 5-0 and their defense had made three game winning/saving plays in those 5 wins

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I wouldnt use the word blame, but surely the Rams dont have "that guy" who teams need to stop. They can and will win with what we have, but certainly seems fair to say other teams have players who share the load more than Goff has. At least at the moment. I think getting Higbee back up to speed will help a whole lot.

That could be an advantage.....not having a guy the defense has to stop. That means if they key on Kupp, Woods can burn them. If they key on Henderson, Akers might beat them. If they have nobody to key on, a lot of guys could beat them. I like not having "that guy". Nobody's ego is too big for the locker room.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That could be an advantage.....not having a guy the defense has to stop. That means if they key on Kupp, Woods can burn them. If they key on Henderson, Akers might beat them. If they have nobody to key on, a lot of guys could beat them. I like not having "that guy". Nobody's ego is too big for the locker room.
Its not an advantage to be missing that component. Gurley was an advantage, even when not at his best, teams still had to account for him. Same with Cooks deep threat. We dont have that. Other teams, basically every other playoff caliber team, has that. Do we have guys that can develop in to that? Heck yeah, but that isnt the point

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Its not an advantage to be missing that component. Gurley was an advantage, even when not at his best, teams still had to account for him. Same with Cooks deep threat. We dont have that. Other teams, basically every other playoff caliber team, has that. Do we have guys that can develop in to that? Heck yeah, but that isnt the point

I will agree, it's nice to have "that component" unless somebody stops him. Or he's got a bum knee that keeps him from being that guy. The Patriots have been to 10 Superbowls in the last 25 years, winning 6. How many times did they have "that guy" opponents had to stop? How'd Seattle make out when Ramsey made DK Metcalf an non factor? I'm simply saying when you have a guy like Gurley who you depend on, build your offense around, if he's dinged or gets stopped you lose. If you don't have that guy and you have a bunch of different guys making plays, it's harder to defend. Are we 'there' yet? Maybe not. But we're doing pretty good so far.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will agree, it's nice to have "that component" unless somebody stops him. Or he's got a bum knee that keeps him from being that guy. The Patriots have been to 10 Superbowls in the last 25 years, winning 6. How many times did they have "that guy" opponents had to stop? How'd Seattle make out when Ramsey made DK Metcalf an non factor? I'm simply saying when you have a guy like Gurley who you depend on, build your offense around, if he's dinged or gets stopped you lose. If you don't have that guy and you have a bunch of different guys making plays, it's harder to defend. Are we 'there' yet? Maybe not. But we're doing pretty good so far.
You know the subject is Goff right?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You know the subject is Goff right?

Sorry.

Here's a comparison of Goff and some other prominent QBs before the age of 27:

Most Passing Yards (Season)
Jared Goff 4,688 (2018)
Aaron Rodgers 4,434 (2009)
Tom Brady 3,692 (2004)
Drew Brees 3,576 (2005)

Passing TDs (Season)
Jared Goff 32 (2018)
Aaron Rodgers 30 (2009)
Tom Brady 28 (2002)
Drew Brees 27 (2004)

Passer Rating (Season)
Drew Brees 104.8 (2004)
Aaron Rogers 103.2 (2009)
Jared Goff 101.1 (2018)
Tom Brady 86.5 (2001)

Here's some more.

Pass attempts last 3 years:
1,764 Tom Brady
1,753 Matt Ryan
1,674 Philip Rivers
1,664 Jared Goff
1,612 Dak Prescott

Pass completions last 3 years:
1,172 Matt Ryan
1,133 Tom Brady
1,097 Philip Rivers
1,079 Kirk Cousins
1,065 Derek Carr

(Goff 1054)

Passing yards last 3 years:
13,485 Matt Ryan
13,438 Philip Rivers
13,130 Jared Goff
12,989 Tom Brady
12,111 Dak Prescott

Passing TDs last 3 years:
100 Russell Wilson
85 Tom Brady
83 Kirk Cousins
83 Philip Rivers
82 Jared Goff

Pass attempts last 2 years:
1,224 Matt Ryan
1,187 Jared Goff
1,183 Tom Brady
1,166 Aaron Rodgers
1,122 Dak Prescott

Pass completions last 2 years:
830 Matt Ryan
758 Jared Goff
748 Tom Brady
744 Dak Prescott
742 Derek Carr

Passing yards last 2 years:
9,390 Matt Ryan
9.326 Jared Goff
9,128 Patrick Mahomes
8,923 Philip Rivers
8,787 Dak Prescott

Passing TDs last 2 years:
76 Patrick Mahomes
66 Russell Wilson
61 Matt Ryan
59 Drew Brees
56 Kirk Cousins

(Goff 54)

I like our chances with Goff.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Passing TDs last 2 years:
76 Patrick Mahomes
66 Russell Wilson
61 Matt Ryan
59 Drew Brees
56 Kirk Cousins

(Goff 54)

if mcvay didn't like running it in for a td so much, goff 104.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Paying players doesn't mean they are pro bowlers. Do we have a Tyreek Hill, Devante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook? What about a George Kittle or Travis Kelsey?

No we don't. We have guys that fit our system and can play efficiently in it. We don't have guys that require constant double teams and are yearly pro bowls.

When we had one of these guys in his prime named Todd Gurley we were the top offense in the NFL.

The counter to that is that the Pats, as much as I hate them, won with Brady and a bunch of "system receivers" who really fit well into that system, but were by no means extraordinary.

Other than when he had Moss, Brady has been playing with JAGs. Sure, Gronk was a beast at TE, but his WR crew each year was filled with guys like Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman... good, but no one would EVER confuse them with top guys, either speed guys or physical specimens.

Our WR crew based on fit is one of if not the best in the NFL.

Basing it solely on stats misses the point of how system offenses win in the NFL.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than when he had Moss, Brady has been playing with JAGs. Sure, Gronk was a beast at TE, but his WR crew each year was filled with guys like Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman... good, but no one would EVER confuse them with top guys, either speed guys or physical specimens.

when moss left the cheats brought in gangsta boy to team up with gronk and they became very te orientated. they were unstoppable with those two together.

gronk was the te version of moss, a match up nightmare. to say the cheat was playing with jags is not quite right.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The counter to that is that the Pats, as much as I hate them, won with Brady and a bunch of "system receivers" who really fit well into that system, but were by no means extraordinary.

Basing it solely on stats misses the point of how system offenses win in the NFL.

We have enough weapons to be a pretty good offense. Last year, with Gurley we finished #7 in yards and averaged 24.6 PPG. This year, without Gurley we are #7 in yards and are averaging 24.0 PPG. We're running much more than we did in 2019....we're on pace for almost 100 more attempts. Our ypc is 4.3, up from 3.9. We're throwing much shorter this year too. One problem this year is the same as last year....converting those yards to points. Is it execution? Or is it play calling? Or is it a little of both? Or is it McVay is still figuring out how and when to use Henderson, Akers and Jefferson?

Though not a "Gurley", Henderson has great burst. Akers doesn't seem to have that but he's got wiggle. Brown is a short yardage beast. And we have no shortage of WRs and TEs. Goff is good and still improving. The big question now is, how is the loss of Whitworth going to affect them? We're gonna see against a defense that is ranked right behind ours.

In the meantime.....we can watch two teams tied with us beat each other up tonight. We win Monday, we're tied with the winner. We lose, we're tied with the loser. Either way, we're in the thick of the race and we still haven't peaked.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brady was a game manager type back then too, much more conservative offense than what he is thought of now, they were a run first team with the likes of Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon.
Prior to getting Moss, Brady didnt sniff 30 TD passes and only once did he (barely) eclipse 4000 yards.
They hardly gave him JAG's to work with along with Moss came Wes Welker, Gronk etc. For sure at that point, with Brady well in to his 30's, it became a bit plug and play with who was catching the ball, but not when he was in his mid 20's like Goff is now

dang

Legend
so I just re-watched the Miami game. The play where golf was sacked fumbled and fumble recovery return for TD. Trips right. Everett left. Goff staring down Everett from the snap. meanwhile Woods (i think) had a huge cushion underneath from the trips right. And the RB was wide open in the right flat. No idea why trips would not have been option 1 but if it had a quick strike to Woods or a softball toss to the RB and the Rams easily get inside the 5 yard line. Hind sight is 20/20 but this could of/should of play quickly turned the game around for the Fins.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than when he had Moss, Brady has been playing with JAGs.

Well, not sure Julian Edelmen, Wes Welker, Dion Branch, Adam Hernandez, were JAGs. Brady also had some pretty nice running backs that could catch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so I just re-watched the Miami game. The play where golf was sacked fumbled and fumble recovery return for TD. Trips right. Everett left. Goff staring down Everett from the snap. meanwhile Woods (i think) had a huge cushion underneath from the trips right. And the RB was wide open in the right flat. No idea why trips would not have been option 1 but if it had a quick strike to Woods or a softball toss to the RB and the Rams easily get inside the 5 yard line. Hind sight is 20/20 but this could of/should of play quickly turned the game around for the Fins.
Lol. Henderson was wide open because the DE he let have a clear path was in the process of destroying his QB. Speaking of which, as he was pathetically trying to throw the ball, the only receiver even beginning to look back was Reynolds.
Photo courtesy of @Merlin
1604362669149-png.40608

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As some have noted above, those types of plays happen to all QBs even the best of them too. The prob with the Miami game was the sheer number of them that fell on the QB. But I don't want to get into all that again.

Goff was a different guy vs Seattle. Which bodes well for this matchup with Tampa who is 100% going to try to catch him with poor protection reads at the line. Main thing here is if it's not there throw it away and take the grounding call.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As some have noted above, those types of plays happen to all QBs even the best of them too. The prob with the Miami game was the sheer number of them that fell on the QB. But I don't want to get into all that again.

Goff was a different guy vs Seattle. Which bodes well for this matchup with Tampa who is 100% going to try to catch him with poor protection reads at the line. Main thing here is if it's not there throw it away and take the grounding call.
For sure. A QB cant be perfect all game. In every game there's a play or two that every QB wishes they could do over. Goff had about 5 or 6...
In the first half alone.....
In the same respect teams get lucky at times too and get every break. I have no doubts with Goff. He's not perfect, far from it. Still has a lot of learning to do, but outside of a very, very select few, there isnt a QB I'd trade him for

MachS

Hall of Fame
We have enough weapons to be a pretty good offense. Last year, with Gurley we finished #7 in yards and averaged 24.6 PPG. This year, without Gurley we are #7 in yards and are averaging 24.0 PPG. We're running much more than we did in 2019....we're on pace for almost 100 more attempts. Our ypc is 4.3, up from 3.9. We're throwing much shorter this year too. One problem this year is the same as last year....converting those yards to points.

Its just funny how we pick stats like yards per game and points per game to fit a narrative. We are the 21st rated scoring offense in the NFL. 21st overall. That is the stat that matters, which puts the Rams bottom 1/3 of the league. Scoring is all that matters in football you're right, yards are a facade and can be easily inflated in garbage time. You think yards matter when we're down big to SF or MIA?

Everyone here seems to universally agree the offense is what's holding us back. How could it not be when we have the #2 rated scoring defense in the NFL. So if last year our lackluster offense was blamed on a bad o-line and lack of consistent running game, I just wonder what excuse people are using this year? It must be McVay right? When you improve the oline, running game, offensive scheme, but the offense hasn't improved where can we place the blame now?

Its frowned upon to point out that Goff is 18th in TDs, 20th in passer rating, 25th in QBR, 19th in completion %. Instead people will say hey he's 10th in yards so he must be playing great right? All this comes with a top 10 running attack, an improved o-line, and the #2 defense.

Yes we have enough weapons to be a great offense, there is no doubt. But in order to do so we need better QB play.

Tano

Legend
Its just funny how we pick stats like yards per game and points per game to fit a narrative. We are the 21st rated scoring offense in the NFL. 21st overall. That is the stat that matters, which puts the Rams bottom 1/3 of the league. Scoring is all that matters in football you're right, yards are a facade and can be easily inflated in garbage time. You think yards matter when we're down big to SF or MIA?

Everyone here seems to universally agree the offense is what's holding us back. How could it not be when we have the #2 rated scoring defense in the NFL. So if last year our lackluster offense was blamed on a bad o-line and lack of consistent running game, I just wonder what excuse people are using this year? It must be McVay right? When you improve the oline, running game, offensive scheme, but the offense hasn't improved where can we place the blame now?

Its frowned upon to point out that Goff is 18th in TDs, 20th in passer rating, 25th in QBR, 19th in completion %. Instead people will say hey he's 10th in yards so he must be playing great right? All this comes with a top 10 running attack, an improved o-line, and the #2 defense.

Yes we have enough weapons to be a great offense, there is no doubt. But in order to do so we need better QB play.
A lot of those stats is due to McVay going conservative in the 4th quarter and also using running backs to score TDs. We do not have a WR that can get TDs for us inside the 5 yard line other than maybe Kupp and Higbee.

I just look at Goff and how he brought us back from a 4th quarter deficit in all 3 games and we would have probably won each one if not for a bad drop/penalty call.

In addition, we would have gone 11-5 last year if not for a miss FG and a broken defensive play on 3rd and 22 twice.

He is a winner and that's all I need from a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.