The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Uh, zero pro bowl players around him except Whit?

I'd guess we've invested the 2nd or 3rd most in weapons for the QB - so if this is true, we need to trade/cut some guys
It's true. Only pro bowlers on offense are him and whit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doubt you actually watched him at all if you believe this, but that’s okay. You’re a Rams fans that loves watching your team so I don’t blame you.
I was really bummed when the Cards scored that miracle, but I was happy for you. You're a classy fan bro, cheers

nighttrain

Legend
Wilson really is the model for a QB that likes to use his feet. The way Jackson and Allen and Murray are taking several hits every game is problematic. They need to follow Wilsons example and get down every play. Don't take hits, or end up like Carson Wentz.

Scrambling QB's can have prolonged success, but not QB's that tuck it and take hits like a RB every game.
Fran Tarkington

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's true. Only pro bowlers on offense are him and whit.

Well first, pro bowl is a pretty bad go by.

If we're trying to say that Goff's supporting cast isn't good, then we made huge mistakes paying Woods, Kupp and Higbee, drafting VJ and Akers, and Henderson.

There are only a few QBs with better weapons than Goff.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

If we're trying to say that Goff's supporting cast isn't good, then we made huge mistakes paying Woods, Kupp and Higbee, drafting VJ and Akers, and Henderson.

You underestimate how many good skill players are in this league.

Seattle has Lockett, Metcalf, solid group of TE's, and when their backs are healthy a good group of RB's, yet no one mentions their skull guys as being a great group.

Murray has Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk, and Kenyon Drake. Again a very good group.

Mahomes has the best skill group in the league, but no o e mentions that when talking about Mahomes, as they shouldn't

You can say the Rams have no dynamic players that can score on one play from 60 yards out as others do.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
The one glaring weakness is, if you bring pressure he looks terrible. They need to work on that. May be they do. Blitz goff you might get points. Otherwise he didn't stink up the joint Sunday.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Seattle has Lockett, Metcalf, solid group of TE's, and when their backs are healthy a good group of RB's, yet no one mentions their skull guys as being a great group.

Mahomes has the best skill group in the league, but no o e mentions that when talking about Mahomes, as they shouldn't

You can say the Rams have no dynamic players that can score on one play from 60 yards out as others do.

Chiefs - clearly better

Seahawks - our RBs and TEs are MUCH better, WR group is deeper - Metcalf is better than Kupp and Woods, but Lockett? Nah. Rams are better overall.

Cardinals - Hopkins is better, but the others? Nah - this one is close to even, but I'd still go Rams

Falcons - Julio and Ridley both better, their TE group is decent, our RBs better, but I'd give the edge to ATL

Titans - probably better

Steelers - might be better, toss up

Bucs - better

Saints - better

Vikings - better

That's only 5 that are for sure better, so I guess top 10 would be more apt. Either way, we have a good group of skill players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one glaring weakness is, if you bring pressure he looks terrible. They need to work on that. May be they do. Blitz goff you might get points. Otherwise he didn't stink up the joint Sunday.
Thats the case with all QB, not sure why it seems that many want to isolate Goff. The issue Goff has which others dont, is the scheme has many late developing routes

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats the case with all QB, not sure why it seems that many want to isolate Goff. The issue Goff has which others dont, is the scheme has many late developing routes

For me, and this is really Goff's only weakness, it just feels like an automatic incompletion or INT when a defender gets to within a yard or so of him. But you make a good point - don't really know if there are check downs there for him or not.

RamWoodie

Legend
Can we get real when it comes to Goff folks???

He played pretty exceptional yesterday and that's what I called for in the game thread because his last three games had been lackluster.

There are 4 things Goff simply has to improve on:

1. Feeling pressure around him.

2. Stop locking on two his primary receiver.

3. Reading defenses.

4. Incorporating his mobility into his game.

The first two above are what causes his TOs. Just like last night when the Rams were about to blow the game open and he got strip sacked. Fortunately the defense got that TO right back...but Goff was so locked on to his WR, that the "clock in his head" stopped ticking. He had no clue where the pressure was.

On 3 above...It takes McVay and Goff to improve there. I feel McVay is hurting Goff's improving on 3 because Goff doesn't have enough liberty to change plays at the LOS which leads to the Rams timeout issues also. McVay needs to give Goff liberty to audible...even to the point where he completely changes the play. I could be wrong...but I don't think Goff has that liberty.

On 4 above...no one is asking Goff to be Wilson or Rodgers, but to be willing to leave the pocket enough to where defenses know that Goff will scrambled. He's mobile enough to where his mobility will help Ram WRs.

Rasp

UDFA
Name
Rasp
He has clearly worked on getting the quick pass away this week

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff on the year has 11 turnovers and people nationally talk about how he’s bad with the bad. He needs to protect it and be better against pressure. Wilson has 12 turnovers and has been sacked more than twice as much.
Im not saying Jared is better but when you look at stats these narratives become funny.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Way more than "a few" like another poster has said you're underestimating the skill position players around the league. Woods/kupp are not even top 10. Goff is also the only 1st round pick on offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Way more than "a few" like another poster has said you're underestimating the skill position players around the league. Woods/kupp are not even top 10. Goff is also the only 1st round pick on offense.
Granted we traded away all of them since drafting him but I noticed that too. With Cooks gone there aren’t any that we traded for or signed as a free agent. And he won’t get on the year either unless its a free agent or a crazy trade up.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Granted we traded away all of them since drafting him but I noticed that too. With Cooks gone there aren’t any that we traded for or signed as a free agent. And he won’t get on the year either unless its a free agent or a crazy trade up.
I agree. But the notion that goff is surrounded by top tier talent is simply not true is what I'm getting at. I love the rams receivers but they can't separate consistently in man coverage. The only one that could was cooks but he was undersized and has head issues which was a real bummer.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. But the notion that goff is surrounded by top tier talent is simply not true is what I'm getting at. I love the rams receivers but they can't separate consistently in man coverage. The only one that could was cooks but he was undersized and has head issues which was a real bummer.

If you believe what you said above, then you have to think that paying them each $16 million was a huge, huge, huge, huge mistake. Which, btw, I'm fine with - but I don't want to hear anyone saying "glad we paid them" and "our WRs aren't good enough".

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
If you believe what you said above, then you have to think that paying them each $16 million was a huge, huge, huge, huge mistake. Which, btw, I'm fine with - but I don't want to hear anyone saying "glad we paid them" and "our WRs aren't good enough".
Not saying they're not good enough. Just saying they're not top tier. The myth that goff is surrounded by weapons is simply not the truth. Not one of the guys around him other than whit are top 10 at there position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. Rams have two top-notch possession wideouts in Kupp and Woody. They have a plus TE in Higbee. And the two young backs are still settling in a bit not to mention have been dinged up. So I think it's fair to say we don't have a special collection of talent on offense. We have a good collection of talent I think is the fairest way to put it.

We don't have anyone of Hopkins' or Metcalf's status. Those two guys are elite. And the quality of the tools does matter and IMO are part of the reason for Goff's performance being so mediocre this year.

And I don't absolve Goff either. He's one of the best pure passers when he's got a clean pocket. Not so good when he doesn't. I hated the Matty Ice comps of yesteryear when he came out, but have to admit they were fair now looking back. But the good thing is Goff's the type of guy who can do the job when you get things right around him. That's better than what a lot of other teams have and he does fit this scheme really nicely.

But anyway. I was talking with a buddy of mine the other day about Gurley and how losing him affected us not just last year but still to this day and really what it comes down to is we lost an elite offensive player and the offense has not been the same since. It really comes down to that IMO. We're now more of a conventional type team with a balanced offense and strong defense.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Having an elite receiver can make a QB. Look at Culpeper for the Vikings. When he had Randy Moss everyone thought he was a top QB, but all he did was throw 50 50 balls up for Moss to catch. Once Moss was gone Culpeper was never any good. Look how Hopkins has affected both Houston, being gone, and Arizona. I guarantee Murry wouldn't be trending like this without him. To always have a guy you know will be open and will bring down the 50 50 balls is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.