The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1605567237756.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing of note irt the above is that a lot of those green dots were blitz beaters. Jared played a lot better than the stats show IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chiefs - clearly better

Seahawks - our RBs and TEs are MUCH better, WR group is deeper - Metcalf is better than Kupp and Woods, but Lockett? Nah. Rams are better overall.

Cardinals - Hopkins is better, but the others? Nah - this one is close to even, but I'd still go Rams

Falcons - Julio and Ridley both better, their TE group is decent, our RBs better, but I'd give the edge to ATL

Titans - probably better

Steelers - might be better, toss up

Bucs - better

Saints - better

Vikings - better

That's only 5 that are for sure better, so I guess top 10 would be more apt. Either way, we have a good group of skill players.
Nevermind. Thanks, lol.

oldnotdead

Legend
If Goff just simply tries to not do too much he's extremely effective. It's when he presses that bad things happen. It's when he presses his mechanics go to hell and his throws are off target, usually high. IMO this was a good lesson for him to show him he's part of a team that it's not all on him to win the game. His problems started when the run game disappeared last year and he felt he had to carry the team. To his credit he pretty much did.

But now the o-line is playing pretty well and he needs to get back to that confident 2018 Goff. Making good reads, and simply not pressing and forcing balls. Bad habits are hard to break.

That's how I see this game. As a confidence bulider. Next Monday IMO will be the biggest test for this team. Beat the Bucs and they can run the table. The Bucs are probably the most complete team on both sides of the ball the Rams will face this regular season. It's another confidence builder type of game. It should give them the momentum to sweep the rest of the season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But now the o-line is playing pretty well and he needs to get back to that confident 2018 Goff. Making good reads, and simply not pressing and forcing balls. Bad habits are hard to break.
This is going to be a very tough matchup for our QB. Whit being out is going to be felt and it would have been challenging even if Whit was healthy. So while I agree that our OL has improved a great deal (I see them around 10th-ish in pass pro, not elite but good) they're going to dip with the big guy out vs a good defense (which Tampa is).

Smoke and mirrors gonna be hard and heavy in this one to try to ensure Goff doesn't get killed IMO. Gameplan will be a ton of short stuff and heavy run game it will probably be a boring fucking game tbh but I love defense so looking forward to it. :biggrin:

oldnotdead

Legend
I hear the D is looking for a GOAT BBQ Monday night. I agree the o-line right now is playing as you say around 10th-ish. But I've always felt that as long as they can play "good" this offense can be dangerous. With the RBs and WRs they have the Rams can win with a dink and dunk passing game. The D is playing lights out and as long as they continue to do so they will keep the Rams in the game long enough for the dink and dunk to exploit.

Rams77

Starter
I like Goff-I don't love him. He is blessed with a great offensive coach. I cant bear to think what Goffs career would have been without McVay-would he still be a starting NFL QB? Goff has decent tools. A good arm. Pretty good short to medium range accuracy. He can move and rollout pretty well. Good height. He’s teased everyone with some great performances especially during the SB run in early 2018. Can he recapture that? Right now we have to call a spade a spade and right now he’s 25th in QBR in the NFL. Right between rookie Joe Burrow and 2nd year QB Gardner Minshew. Goff is also 20th in Passer rating. For me this is a huge disappointment. Why are the 2 all-important stats measuring a QB’s overall performance so subpar in his 4th year in McVays system? Are these stats overrated or are we just self-blinding ourselves to admit the Jared is just an average NFL QB at best right now and for the future? On script he’s a really good QB but off script there’s a lot left to be desired. I think we have a Super Bowl caliber team (besides a Kicker) and I’m not sure if McVay trusts Goff enough or if Goff has the ability to fulfill this teams potential. I’m not hating on Goff-I really like him as a person, and I really want him to be the answer. He has the keys to the Lamborghini.
These next 2 months will tell us alot about our “Franchise QB”

TexasRam

Legend
Uh, zero pro bowl players around him except Whit?

I'd guess we've invested the 2nd or 3rd most in weapons for the QB - so if this is true, we need to trade/cut some guys

Paying players doesn't mean they are pro bowlers. Do we have a Tyreek Hill, Devante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook? What about a George Kittle or Travis Kelsey?

No we don't. We have guys that fit our system and can play efficiently in it. We don't have guys that require constant double teams and are yearly pro bowls.

When we had one of these guys in his prime named Todd Gurley we were the top offense in the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend
I like Goff-I don't love him. He is blessed with a great offensive coach. I cant bear to think what Goffs career would have been without McVay-would he still be a starting NFL QB? Goff has decent tools. A good arm. Pretty good short to medium range accuracy. He can move and rollout pretty well. Good height. He’s teased everyone with some great performances especially during the SB run in early 2018. Can he recapture that? Right now we have to call a spade a spade and right now he’s 25th in QBR in the NFL. Right between rookie Joe Burrow and 2nd year QB Gardner Minshew. Goff is also 20th in Passer rating. For me this is a huge disappointment. Why are the 2 all-important stats measuring a QB’s overall performance so subpar in his 4th year in McVays system? Are these stats overrated or are we just self-blinding ourselves to admit the Jared is just an average NFL QB at best right now and for the future? On script he’s a really good QB but off script there’s a lot left to be desired. I think we have a Super Bowl caliber team (besides a Kicker) and I’m not sure if McVay trusts Goff enough or if Goff has the ability to fulfill this teams potential. I’m not hating on Goff-I really like him as a person, and I really want him to be the answer. He has the keys to the Lamborghini.
These next 2 months will tell us alot about our “Franchise QB”

First two years Goff is in the Pro Bowl and won an NFC Championship as the youngest player to ever do it.
Last year Goff was 2nd in the entire NFL in passing yards with a completely decimated O-line.
If you think QBR or other flawed stats define a QB I don't know what to say. PFF stats say Jalen Ramsey had a 55 rating last week in a game he nearly single handedly shut down the top offense in the NFL.

A TD pass of 50 yards and a one yard run for a TD are two different ways to get the same result. But QB's don't get the same "rating" for this. Goff moved the team down the field passing for 300 yards in three Quarters hitting elite throw after elite throw, only to hand off and have our RB's finish off the score. The entire fourth quarter we burned clock because Goff so vastly outplayed the "MVP" of the league. That same MVP had about 160 yards passing and several terrible throws and interceptions before throwing insignificant underneath garbage yards.

I love an Elite pocket passer and that is what Goff is. How's things looking these days for Lamar Jackson, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott?

Tom Brady went from 24 TD 6.8 ypa in 2006 (His 7th year in the league) to 50 TD 8.7 YPA in 2007. Did Tom Brady figure things out in year 8? Actually no, his team went out and added Randy Moss. Does Goff have a Moss or Hopkins or Tyreek Hill or even a DK Metcalf? No he doesn't. So he matriculates the ball down the field with Elite short and medium level passing. He then hands off to his RB.

Stats are useless without context.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paying players doesn't mean they are pro bowlers. Do we have a Tyreek Hill, Devante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook? What about a George Kittle or Travis Kelsey?

No we don't. We have guys that fit our system and can play efficiently in it. We don't have guys that require constant double teams and are yearly pro bowls.

When we had one of these guys in his prime named Todd Gurley we were the top offense in the NFL.

Then we shouldn't have paid Kupp/Woods so that we can go get one of those guys.

It's one of two things: either we have enough talent or we made some mistakes by paying them so much.

TexasRam

Legend

It's one of two things: either we have enough talent or we made some mistakes by paying them so much.

Well Kupp and Woods are both efficient in our system which asks the WR’s to block in the run game quite alot and run precision short and medium routes. They are both really good at what they do not to mention they are years into the knowing the system.

we decided to give Ramsey a 100 million dollars and Donald a gagillion. So far I think it’s working out just fine. Different ways to skin a cat.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Lol you act like those players grow on trees. The rams only have 2 players like that and they're both on defense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Kupp and Woods are both efficient in our system which asks the WR’s to block in the run game quite alot and run precision short and medium routes. They are both really good at what they do not to mention they are years into the knowing the system.

we decided to give Ramsey a 100 million dollars and Donald a gagillion. So far I think it’s working out just fine. Different ways to skin a cat.

If our offense isn't good enough and it's because our weapons aren't good enough, it's not working out.

The Rams could have had OBJ (crazy and weird as he is, the Rams have proven IMO to be able to wrangle guys with crazy personalities) or Hopkins, given that the Cardinals gave up very little for him. That means in one way or another we chose to stick with what we have.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol you act like those players grow on trees. The rams only have 2 players like that and they're both on defense.

We could have had OBJ, and we definitely could have had Hopkins - could have drafted Metcalf too. I personally don't think the weapons are a problem, but just saying - if someone thinks they are, then we shouldn't have signed Kupp/Woods and should have made a move sooner

Tano

Legend
If our offense isn't good enough and it's because our weapons aren't good enough, it's not working out.

The Rams could have had OBJ (crazy and weird as he is, the Rams have proven IMO to be able to wrangle guys with crazy personalities) or Hopkins, given that the Cardinals gave up very little for him. That means in one way or another we chose to stick with what we have.
I don’t think the Rams could afford either player’s contract once it was determined they wanted to sign Ramsey

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1st place in the division, only 1 game out of #1 seed in conference. The offense is working out. Goff just had a great game vs Seattle and we are playing a team that could barely beat the Giants. Things are looking good

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1st place in the division, only 1 game out of #1 seed in conference. The offense is working out. Goff just had a great game vs Seattle and we are playing a team that could barely beat the Giants. Things are looking good

And I'm fine with that. Just took exception to people blaming a lack of weapons when we've invested heavily (both financial and draft capital) in weapons for the offense over the years. I think I heard someone say something about the lack of high draft picks, but we've actually spent 9 picks the past four years on offensive players for days 1 and 2.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I'm fine with that. Just took exception to people blaming a lack of weapons when we've invested heavily (both financial and draft capital) in weapons for the offense over the years. I think I heard someone say something about the lack of high draft picks, but we've actually spent 9 picks the past four years on offensive players for days 1 and 2.
I wouldnt use the word blame, but surely the Rams dont have "that guy" who teams need to stop. They can and will win with what we have, but certainly seems fair to say other teams have players who share the load more than Goff has. At least at the moment. I think getting Higbee back up to speed will help a whole lot.

TexasRam

Legend

Notice you are the one saying our offense isn’t good enough. According to who? The media? By what standard are you making this assessment?

we put up 30+ on the bills, 24 in 3 quarters vs Seattle, same with Chicago.

we got outcoached vs Miami on the zero blitz but seemed to have figured out our counter to that. We had a Kupp TD drop vs SF and Goff had an off day. It happens to every QB.

Other than that we have played solid offense for a team without any explosive players. But we have a top defense so I don’t understand the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.