The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Limit the turnovers and Goff is fine, but he has to protect the football, if he doesn't it will force the Rams to look towards the draft to challenge him, but I still believe in Goff and hope that @jrry32 is right on point.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The good news, his coach is aware of that as you said. Goff’s press conference was all about that too.

At least that’s not a hidden problem. They are both saying it.

What else is sputtering? Because when we have these debates there are other similar things sputtering offensively.

There are other things sputtering for sure, the run game as you pointed out.

My personal take is that we shouldn't even be talking about other aspects of the offense until Goff cuts out the turnovers.

Hes tied with the second most in the league now, more than the Bears QBs. The Bears offense can't do anything, have a worse OL and worse players at almost every position, yet have less turnovers. Same for the Jags, Lions and others who have awful offenses but less turnovers.

If we overlook that, it points toward roster construction for me. When you allocate $78 million to three players, your roster will be taking a hit somewhere. That our OL is as good as it has been is a minor miracle when you look at the players as individuals - so if they struggle at any time it won't be a huge shock.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I think it's funny how peoples tune changes from week to week when it comes to JG16

Hero last week
Zero this week

I agree but I also agree with the posters that allude to how Goff prepares week to week. The reason Goff has these clunker games-and for some reason more this year-is how he is preparing for games. Even McVay alluded to it after Goff’s poor performance in the Miami game.

It’s clear to me that it’s a preparation issue when he has these wild swings in play over the course of the year. Guys like Wilson, Mahomes, Roethlisberger and Rogers can go off script and could probably get away with not being as precise or as reliant on a game plan due to their physical talents.

However, guys like Manning, Brady and Goff need to be precise and know the game plan inside and out as they don’t have the ability to win a game if they have to count on their physical abilities to “make a play happen”.

I think Goff can be better than he has been and still have faith that he is a solid QB. Hopefully he realizes that with his lack of improvisation abilities that his level of weekly preparation needs to match that of a Brady or Manning. And also, after 5 years can he at least learn to move around in the pocket “a little” , keep his eyes downfield and find the open receiver?

We have too many weapons on this team for Goff to stand back there as long as he does and not find the open man. Time to “live” in the film room son.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
While this roster is at its best Goff needs to be at his very best too. As the most important player on the offense he has to play consistently well every week.

The Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league...I don’t think the roster is at its best in 2020.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right okay dude.
I'm sure guys like Lafleur and Taylor and Watkins and Cooks aren't missed and the other QBs out there throwing to Tyreek Hill or Mike Evans or Mike Thomas or DeAndre Hopkins or Devante Adam's or DK Metcalf ... all of them would still be better than Goff if they didn't have those guys, right?
Russell Wilson doesn't need a good run game? I've seen that dude have games like Goffs today, the bum...

Russell Wilson has had a worse OL, and prior to this year, worse WRs than Goff. But Goff has never had a season as good as Wilson. That's an unfair comparison because Goff is nowhere near as good as Wilson.

Wins and losses are a team stat, not a QB stat.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A refresher

Week 11 Rams 27- Bucs 24

Week 12 Chiefs 27-Bucs 24

and mahommes got away with an awful interception because of a roughing the passer call, nowhere near as bad as when goff gets hit on the head. of course they scored on that drive so it could have been a loss for them.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Russell Wilson has had a worse OL, and prior to this year, worse WRs than Goff. But Goff has never had a season as good as Wilson. That's an unfair comparison because Goff is nowhere near as good as Wilson.

Wins and losses are a team stat, not a QB stat.

So you're saying that Goff wasn't better with better coaching and better deep threats?

I never even suggested that Goff is on the same level as Wilson or Brady or anyone, just that shit happens and even great QBs shit the bed sometimes.

Also... RW didn't have beastmode and the Legion of Boom to help him win those games? Interesting.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I believe in Goff, though this year, Rams have lost 2 games because of his turnovers (Dolphins and 49ers). Both those games, Rams did not need much from the O, only to avoid turnovers.
It is frustrating, because there are games and teams that we only need a game manager at QB, losing those hurts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you're saying that Goff wasn't better with better coaching and better deep threats?

I never even suggested that Goff is on the same level as Wilson or Brady or anyone, just that shit happens and even great QBs shit the bed sometimes.

Also... RW didn't have beastmode and the Legion of Boom to help him win those games? Interesting.

He did - that's why I said wins and losses are a TEAM stat and not a QB stat.

Goff's decline began in week 13 of the 2018 season against Detroit. A game in which Gurley was great and Cooks was fully healthy, and it was 2018 so I'm assuming that's what you meant by better coaching?

Since then Goff has had some good games - but that's when the inconsistency began and became a trend - Detroit, Chicago, Dallas (playoff game), New England, Carolina, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, SF, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Baltimore, Dallas, SF, Miami, SF

This is roughly half the games during this span that Goff has not been good enough in. Some of these games we won, but that doesn't mean he played well. Some of these defenses are great. Some of these games we were on a short week vs a team off a bye.

But this is 15 out of the last 34 games that Goff has played poorly. By poorly, that's going to change for some people, but for me with Goff it's an eye test thing mixed with stats. He was either inaccurate, turned the ball over too much, or the offense sputtered too much in all of these games.

So while you say even great QBs shit the bed sometimes - I agree - but I think there are some of us that are fed up with 10-15 (depending on your standards) out of the last 34.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RW has had quality and/or explosive WR’s

Harvin
Lockett
Jimmy Graham
Taint

lol Taint

Harvin barely played for them, Graham was a shell of himself - both those were awful trades by Seattle.

Lockett and Taint are both worse than Woods.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Harvin barely played for them, Graham was a shell of himself - both those were awful trades by Seattle.

Lockett and Taint are both worse than Woods.
Disagree there...Lockett made a Pro Bowl or multiple Pro Bowls...how many for Woods?
and I love Woods

This RW does it all by himself mantra is BS

Marc Spector

Rookie
Disagree there...Lockett made a Pro Bowl or multiple Pro Bowls...how many for Woods?
and I love Woods

This RW does it all by himself mantra is BS

Woods is a far more versatile talent than Lockett but Lockett is a speedster with incredible separation ability. Couple that with Wilsons uncanny ability to buy time for receivers and Tyler looks better than what he is.

I will say Golden is a very underrated WR though. Never gets the credit he deserves and is arguably the best WR wilson has had.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
- but I think there are some of us that are fed up with 10-15 (depending on your standards) out of the last 34.

I am too!!!
Maybe thats why I want to focus on other things too, so that if we going to have issues with Goff, wouldn't it be great if our HC wasn't compounding those issues with some poor decisions of his own?
Im not interested in pointing fingers at McVay but we need something to change to help us win 3 straight and quite frankly McVay isn't without some blame on that.

Its funny that wins aren't a QB stat but if a WR runs the wrong route, its his INT. If a tackle let's the pass rusher immediately into the pocket, its Goffs sack. If QBs can lose games, they can win them too. Its either all a team game (which it is) or all about the individual (it isnt) but it can't be both ways depending on what serves to support our opinions.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its funny that wins aren't a QB stat but if a WR runs the wrong route, its his INT. If a tackle let's the pass rusher immediately into the pocket, its Goffs sack. If QBs can lose games, they can win them too. Its either all a team game (which it is) or all about the individual (it isnt) but it can't be both ways depending on what serves to support our opinions.
OMG someone actually gets it...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff vs San Fran (Under McVay)
7 games, 3 W - 4 L
133/217 (61.3%) 1,490 yds (213 pg), 13 TD, 4 INT, 94.1 QBR, 2 Fumble lost

Last 3 losses
Yesterday, couldnt hold 3 point lead against scrub QB with under 4 minutes to go
10/18- scored TD with 3:20 to go cutting lead to 8. Defense couldnt stop San Fran rushing, converts 2 3rd downs and runs out clock
12/21/19- San Fran converts 2 3rd and 16 plays deep in own end resulting in game winning FG

Its a team game right?

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure what is going on with Goff, but there is something either Mental or Physical going on with him. So many of his throws are just WAY off. His deep throws have just completely gone to Shit. He used to throw a very accurate deep ball, but now he is missing guys by 10 yards. And he is missing guys badly on intermediate routes as well.

I don't know if it is a hand injury, a loss of confidence, Battered-QB syndrome, a case of the Yips, too much partying, Sex legs or what.

Unfortunately, human beings go through real struggles; and for a variety of reasons. Some of which take time to conquer. His huge paychecks don't make him immune to those struggles no matter how much we think they should. It is easy, as fans, to shit on players when they struggle, but I truly hope they get it figured out and fixed in a hurry. When he is right, he is good enough to win a couple of Super Bowls, but right now, he is bad.

Tano

Legend
I am one of the biggest Goff fans but yesterday he did shit the bed. No excuses.

His interception to Sherman, his fumble when he should have slid (what's an extra yard on 2nd down going to accomplish with under 2 min to go at halftime) and his incompletion to Henderson for a for sure TD.

All horrible throws/decision on his part.

However, his interception return for a TD is a terrible play call on McVay's part.

It seems at least 1 throw a game from Goff either gets intercepted by the DL or dropped by the DL on that particular type of play call.

Let's just scrap that type of play altogether that Goff throws to the left 4 yards pass the line of scrimmage.

That play is just too dangerous for the Rams to continue to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.