The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellard80

Legend
The problem is that last season and this season Goff's turnovers are increasing.

He had a 2.6 int % last year and a 2.5 int % this year so far....

2017-2018 his average was 1.6%

Tano

Legend
Also, where were the fucking bootlegs? We ran one early that resulted in a long throw to Woods. We ran at least one or two others. None were negative plays. Those bootlegs have proven very effective against SF. I don't know why we're so quick to go away from them. They play to Goff's strengths.
I was wondering the same thing.

That is one of Goff's strengths and McVay definitely wasn't playing to Goff's strength yesterday.

He had him stay in the pocket and the OL wasn't keeping the pass rush away from Goff and we all know Goff is not at his best when he gets pressured.

Take the pressure away from him by having him do roll outs. He is great at it.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to go all Goff or anything but Thanks A lot Obama.

You always blame the last administration..right?

Ellard80

Legend
Goff was doing well this year - then starting with the miami game the turnovers have been increasing.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Been a Goff believer since year 1. His rookie year he made some great throws and even though he didn't win any games, I saw the arm talent. This year is the first time I have become worried about Jared. He is simply missing some easy throws and he looks to be lost at times. I dont think the rams have hit 1 big play down field this year, mcvay was good for calling 2-3 deep shots a game.

I am not sure who to blame either Goff or Mcvay. This offense has looked different every single week, not sure why they are doing this but it needs to stop. That is my biggest worry, whats our identity ? The little screens and crossing routes don't score points.

I am truly confused guys, wtf is going on with this offense ?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
His season so far...

Then again I could say that for the whole team as well...I’m still mad :cry:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My take is this; 24hrs ago the Rams were all the rage. Tops in the NFC, maybe.

Losing a game by 3pts, to the defending NFC Champs sucks. And, how we did it was hard to watch and shitty.

Goff has shown plenty to work on.

Tom Brady has lost two in a row.

One week ago the shine was off Russell Wilson, “he’s forcing the ball”.

Derek Carr just laid an egg in Atlanta, after rumblings he’s on an MVP type season underground out there.

Tasom Hill has a 2 game winning streak. Stud player, right?

I dunno. We can drive ourselves nuts chasing the next Patrick Mahomes. At some point it comes down to team ball. There sure were a lot of times even the announcers picked up “there is no place to go with the ball”.

It’s team ball too.

Yeah, I get TOs are part of the game. It's one thing when a defender jumps a route, or there is miscommunication with a WR. But those are uncommon. So i's always a surprise if someone like Russell Wilson throws one, and if he does usually will make up for it later in the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one that puckers a bit every time Jared drops back or takes a sack in recent games.

BTW, just for perspective here's the top 10 QBs with the most picks so far.

1606752978973.png

In case anyone is wondering on the opposite side, the starting QBs with less than that are Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees.

As far as fumbles go...

1606753316946.png

So when you list out raw numbers, he's not THAT far off from the median. But the issue is that all come in short periods of time, sometimes in back to back drives. They're too frequent. Those other players have them sporadically throughout the season. Most of them (Carson Wentz not withstanding).

I don't think Jared is a bad QB (as opposed to some people that just like piling on after losses), just take care of the football. Which you shouldn't have to say for a 5th year NFL QB that's been to a SB.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i wonder if mcvay was to set goff down for a series or 2 if it might motivate him a little. plus we need a look at wolford to see if he is the back up we want. with goffs contract we can't move on for a year or 2 so we need to motivate him somehow. we already gave him the big contract and that seems to have made him content to set back and relax i see it happen to often with players who get the big contract.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i wonder if mcvay was to set goff down for a series or 2 if it might motivate him a little. plus we need a look at wolford to see if he is the back up we want. with goffs contract we can't move on for a year or 2 so we need to motivate him somehow. we already gave him the big contract and that seems to have made him content to set back and relax i see it happen to often with players who get the big contract.
No

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am too!!!
Maybe thats why I want to focus on other things too, so that if we going to have issues with Goff, wouldn't it be great if our HC wasn't compounding those issues with some poor decisions of his own?
Im not interested in pointing fingers at McVay but we need something to change to help us win 3 straight and quite frankly McVay isn't without some blame on that.

Its funny that wins aren't a QB stat but if a WR runs the wrong route, its his INT. If a tackle let's the pass rusher immediately into the pocket, its Goffs sack. If QBs can lose games, they can win them too. Its either all a team game (which it is) or all about the individual (it isnt) but it can't be both ways depending on what serves to support our opinions.

I wouldn't blame Goff for a WR running the wrong route or for an OL getting beaten immediately. Maybe some people have, but not me.

I've never though wins/losses should be a QB stat. Never.

McVay also (obviously) wouldn't blame Goff for those things.

Taking QBs aside, think about it: no single player can ever win a game. But a single player can lose a game. Great example of this would be a CB - he can have awesome coverage for 20 seconds, but if the QB has 21 seconds to throw, he's going to get beaten. On the flip side, we could have 4 Aaron Donald's on the DL and if a CB decides he's not going to cover the WR for even a second, we will lose the game badly.

Players - all players - are allowed to make some mistakes. But any QB that turns the ball over three times in a game, it's hard to judge anything else that happened because that is so clearly the reason we lost.

Everyone can always be better, including McVay - but there's a reason he called Goff out last night.

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah, I get TOs are part of the game. It's one thing when a defender jumps a route, or there is miscommunication with a WR. But those are uncommon. So i's always a surprise if someone like Russell Wilson throws one, and if he does usually will make up for it later in the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one that puckers a bit every time Jared drops back or takes a sack in recent games.

BTW, just for perspective here's the top 10 QBs with the most picks so far.

View attachment 41493

In case anyone is wondering on the opposite side, the starting QBs with less than that are Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees.

As far as fumbles go...

View attachment 41494

So when you list out raw numbers, he's not THAT far off from the median. But the issue is that all come in short periods of time, sometimes in back to back drives. They're too frequent. Those other players have them sporadically throughout the season. Most of them (Carson Wentz not withstanding).

I don't think Jared is a bad QB (as opposed to some people that just like piling on after losses), just take care of the football. Which you shouldn't have to say for a 5th year NFL QB that's been to a SB.

I saw a tweet that since 2017 only jameis winston had more turnovers than goff.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I saw a tweet that since 2017 only jameis winston had more turnovers than goff.

I don't care about comparisons or totals from previous years. I'm sure the next guy on the list wasn't too far off either. It's piling on.

He hasn't played to the level that he can. Earlier this year he was doing great, and looked to be on pace for a career year. Since Miami, not so much. He's thrown more picks and lost more fumbles in the last 4 games alone than the first 7. Something is going on.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Thats a bit of a stretch.
No offense, I understand where you are coming from there... those last two games were bad enough for a lot of fans to forget the Goff that was hitting his highest completion% of his career and starting games with 11 or 12 straight completions (without a script!!!) against some quality defenses.
If Goff couldn't read NFL defenses, he would still be hurrying to the line "so McVay could call it".

Goff can and does read NFL defenses.
Most coverages are not that hard to discern espescially with pre-snap motion. Jared might not ever be Mr. Cerebral but he isn't stupid, the kid can and does learn.
Early in his career, he had almost no experience playing behind center, wasnt asked to read the Defense, his job was just to stay alive in the pocket and execute the playcall. And he did that really well then and still does, imo.

The problem is that he is primarily a pocket passer and in the NFL, most pocket QBs enter the league with years of experience reading defenses from under center. Goffs learning curve was always going to take time.
Thanks to the total shitshow that was Fishers final season, and the early success of Carson Wentz made Goffs shortcomings all the more visible in contrast. Then the media fabricated or at the least overplayed the McVay-headset-gate controversy that only added to the perception that somehow Goff can't read a defense.

JG has grown as a more complete player every year, as expected, and he reads the defense just fine more often then not. Its not even possible for him to perform like he has the past 3 seasons without being at least competent at reading the D and making the proper choices.

But... he has a tendency to get impatient and then tries to force things. He gets tunnel vision when he reads the D and determines who he is going to throw to, which smart defenses are good at setting him up to make that throw that should've worked... when things get tough he sometimes reverts back to his Cal days, hanging in the pocket to make the throw and ends up being hit before releasing. (But I do love a QB who is unafraid to stand in there and deliver. For all of his flaws, he is fearless.)

Imo Goff is still inconsistent at times, still makes costly mistakes sometimes and can still be fooled by good defenses who know how to use our tendencies against us.
At times this year, our passing game has been painfully predictable and that doesn't help him any. WAYYY too many predictable screens and not enough of those intermediate 20 yard throws. Its either a screen or an occasional bomb. The only times we have gone to those intermediate plays is when we are down and until the last two weeks, those plays have been effective.

Goff has to play better than he has recently and he has to protect the ball better. I'm sure he knows that and is working on it. He's had his hiccups but for the most part he has continued to improve his play every season and I don't expect that to change.

I bet he does his job at high level this Sunday, and I expect a mistake or two as well. Shit happens sometimes.

Here's my brief comment.....when your teams QB's development period exceeds your remaining life expectancy, find another QB!

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
There are other things sputtering for sure, the run game as you pointed out.

My personal take is that we shouldn't even be talking about other aspects of the offense until Goff cuts out the turnovers.

Hes tied with the second most in the league now, more than the Bears QBs. The Bears offense can't do anything, have a worse OL and worse players at almost every position, yet have less turnovers. Same for the Jags, Lions and others who have awful offenses but less turnovers.

If we overlook that, it points toward roster construction for me. When you allocate $78 million to three players, your roster will be taking a hit somewhere. That our OL is as good as it has been is a minor miracle when you look at the players as individuals - so if they struggle at any time it won't be a huge shock.
Why do you keep bringing up his pay? Did you pay him that money? I dont understand how you can defend mcvay then in the next sentence bring up goffs pay. The decision to pay him was 100% mcvay.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't care about comparisons or totals from previous years. I'm sure the next guy on the list wasn't too far off either. It's piling on.

He hasn't played to the level that he can. Earlier this year he was doing great, and looked to be on pace for a career year. Since Miami, not so much. He's thrown more picks and lost more fumbles in the last 4 games alone than the first 7. Something is going on.

I agree- goff was doing better this year... but now he has stopped. However this pattern of turnovers really started last year and it's back again.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Can we get real when it comes to Goff folks???

He played pretty exceptional yesterday and that's what I called for in the game thread because his last three games had been lackluster.

There are 4 things Goff simply has to improve on:

1. Feeling pressure around him.

2. Stop locking on two his primary receiver.

3. Reading defenses.

4. Incorporating his mobility into his game.

The first two above are what causes his TOs. Just like last night when the Rams were about to blow the game open and he got strip sacked. Fortunately the defense got that TO right back...but Goff was so locked on to his WR, that the "clock in his head" stopped ticking. He had no clue where the pressure was.

On 3 above...It takes McVay and Goff to improve there. I feel McVay is hurting Goff's improving on 3 because Goff doesn't have enough liberty to change plays at the LOS which leads to the Rams timeout issues also. McVay needs to give Goff liberty to audible...even to the point where he completely changes the play. I could be wrong...but I don't think Goff has that liberty.

On 4 above...no one is asking Goff to be Wilson or Rodgers, but to be willing to leave the pocket enough to where defenses know that Goff will scrambled. He's mobile enough to where his mobility will help Ram WRs.

And just how many years are we to wait or believe that he can effectively make the necessary changes....again, just how long does this take?

Ellard80

Legend
Why do you keep bringing up his pay? Did you pay him that money? I dont understand how you can defend mcvay then in the next sentence bring up goffs pay. The decision to pay him was 100% mcvay.

The decision to pay him is not 100% mcvay. McVay doesn't have complete control of personell - he does have a lot. Most haven't been bringing up his money.

However the money issue makes it so we can't add players via free agency ect. However that's not goffs fault.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is all a moot point anyways - the last five games are against teams with garbage defenses that we will light up.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The decision to pay him is not 100% mcvay. McVay doesn't have complete control of personell - he does have a lot. Most haven't been bringing up his money.

However the money issue makes it so we can't add players via free agency ect. However that's not goffs fault.
If mcvay didn't want him he wouldn't be here. So how can you say its not his decision...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.