The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sorry man I disagree, Goff is not good at going through progressions. He almost always throws to his 1st or 2nd read. Why do you think McVay calls so many boot leg rollouts for him? To simplify his progression to a half-field read.

McVay calls those to buy him time because our OL can't hold blocks as long as they used to be able to. He started doing it last year, not because Goff couldn't go through progressions but because he was getting sacked and hit a lot. It's flat out wrong what your saying, when he had ample time to go through his progressions, he did just that. In the last two years, sans rollouts, he rarely had time to get past his second one.

But Watson is a generational talent, his combination of intangibles + physical talent is all you could want in a QB. If you pair him with McVay it will equal Super Bowls.

I wish it was that easy, I really do. But it never is. Go back and read some of @jrry32 's posts about other great QBs who only got one shot at a Super Bowl if any.

If we have to be light on draft capital or lose some Free Agents because we deal for Watson... then so be it.

And what happens when we lose all of our talent around him? You can't count on hitting all of your picks in rounds 2-5, even Snead and McVay need some luck. And at some point you need to bring in some impact players.

No. Those cap numbers are if he’s Houston’s QB

Watson's salary is $10.5M.

Go read some of Old School's posts on this and the other thread. If we trade for Watson and make it official after June 1st, we have a $48 million cap hit for QBs 2022 - excluding our backups. Before June 1st, we pay for a larger portion of Goff's dead cap om 2021, $22 mil, and still have over $8 million for TGIII on the books for 2021. So Goff and Gurley together are $30 mil in dead cap if we do a pre-June 1st trade.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we keep Goff, his cap is $34M, so it's not like all this talk is luxury talk.

We ALREADY have the luxury car payment and this would be big upgrade for a slightly lower payment early on.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
One thing Gurley did well (IMO) was typically pick up the blitz or inside rush. This is one effect of his release and bad knee not talked about much. Inside pressure in Goff has been going on for the past few years. It’s not new, it definitely worse since TG III was sent out on his crutches.

They damn sure haven’t replaced TG III and what he represented for 5 years.

Had a lot of snaps and not many carries last year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy fuck its actually going to happen. I might cry then go to Vegas for a week to party if Les pulls this off.

Same agent he has to have heard something.
They've possibly been communicating for weeks through the two of them.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is another reason the Rams *have* to get a Goff trade done. Ramsey’s comments certainly reflect how he feels about the QB position - it won’t be good for the locker room to roll back with Goff when his own teammates want him out.
It makes me wonder, and I am fully speculating, if we have a legion of boom vs Russell Wilson situation.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not in favor of it because of the media shit storm - it got bad with Gurley too.

But damn posters on here are getting way too condescending for no reason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is another reason the Rams *have* to get a Goff trade done. Ramsey’s comments certainly reflect how he feels about the QB position - it won’t be good for the locker room to roll back with Goff when his own teammates want him out.

The locker room will be fine. Ramsey talks. That's what he does.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It makes me wonder, and I am fully speculating, if we have a legion of boom vs Russell Wilson situation.

That was moreso about preferential treatment I believe. Brought on by Carroll because of what he preached - truth is all QBs get that treatment but Carroll did it differently until RW became a superstar.

But this is a good point nonetheless. I can see a QB losing a locker room due to poor play

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
No thanks! But is Bradford available? He might be able to stay healthy long enough to compete in training camp. ;)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was moreso about preferential treatment I believe. Brought on by Carroll because of what he preached - truth is all QBs get that treatment but Carroll did it differently until RW became a superstar.

But this is a good point nonetheless. I can see a QB losing a locker room due to poor play
I actually went back and read some of it. So some of it was the preferential treatment but at one point wilson was struggling and Sherman wanted to talk to em about it but bennet told him to leave it alone.

Bearrister

Rookie

For as much as this board and the fan base debates about Goff, I’m sure the players in the locker room talk - and I’m sure some feel like he’s holding them back. The difference now is that it has become open season to publicly express this view - front office, head coach, and now a star player.

MachS

Hall of Fame
They've possibly been communicating for weeks through the two of them.

Yea when I saw the Ramsey comment on Watson's IG, I thought hmmm...this could be something. I had no idea at the time they shared the same agent. There is no doubt communication has happened via backchannels. Then when you start to think about McVay and Snead's comments and the timing of it all, it definitely fits.

But then today on the ProBowlVersus segment to just come out and straight say it.. thats an entirely new level. And he didn't say it just once time when they were talking about Watson. He brought it up a second time and said he's gonna come to LA...and called him "my future QB." Shit is crazy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
For as much as this board and the fan base debates about Goff, I’m sure the players in the locker room talk - and I’m sure some feel like he’s holding them back. The difference now is that it has become open season to publicly express this view - front office, head coach, and now a star player.

Thats what's crazy. And a lot of people talked about it here, but why would McVay and Snead give away leverage in Goff trade negotiations? Is there something we dont know? Could Watson have already committed to come to LA through his agent and Ramsey? And now it's just about finding a trade partner for Goff? Because it seems like McVay, Snead, and now Ramsey dont give a fuck about blasting Goff publicly now.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feeling some draft action right now and since I'm looking at Washington...

They draft 19th. What will QB look like when they're up? I think that's important for what they would be planning. There's four first round QBs, maybe five if you count Jones. So Lawrence & Wilson go 1 and 2. Fields is gone by 10. Lance has some concerns but he's a freak so there's a really good chance he's off the board by 15.

So Mac Jones may be there. Maybe Lance too. Maybe. OR... They could swing a deal with the Rams for Goff for their 19th pick. But I'm not sure that Washington would part with that particular choice for Goff and that depends on the board projection but this is also a salary dump they know it and the Rams know it. Also I don't know that contenders are going to be in the Goff market in fact I suspect they won't be but who knows. Either way I don't think they'd give us the 19th pick for Goff they would offer round 2 and change and try to avoid that. Just a guess.

And seeing as how the Rams need to clear cap anyway and WR might be a targeted area to do that, and since Washington needs receivers I suspect they might get the Rams to sweeten the deal with Kupp or Woody and expand the deal out to cover both.

Flipping that around I expect that 19th pick would be very appealing to the Rams especially if they have their eye on one of those QBs. From there they could move up in front of the Pats to get Jones or go higher and get Lance in the early teens.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Feeling some draft action right now and since I'm looking at Washington...

They draft 19th. What will QB look like when they're up? I think that's important for what they would be planning. There's four first round QBs, maybe five if you count Jones. So Lawrence & Wilson go 1 and 2. Fields is gone by 10. Lance has some concerns but he's a freak so there's a really good chance he's off the board by 15.

So Mac Jones may be there. Maybe Lance too. Maybe. OR... They could swing a deal with the Rams for Goff for their 19th pick. But I'm not sure that Washington would part with that particular choice for Goff and that depends on the board projection but this is also a salary dump they know it and the Rams know it. Also I don't know that contenders are going to be in the Goff market in fact I suspect they won't be but who knows. Either way I don't think they'd give us the 19th pick for Goff they would offer round 2 and change and try to avoid that. Just a guess.

And seeing as how the Rams need to clear cap anyway and WR might be a targeted area to do that, and since Washington needs receivers I suspect they might get the Rams to sweeten the deal with Kupp or Woody and expand the deal out to cover both.

Flipping that around I expect that 19th pick would be very appealing to the Rams especially if they have their eye on one of those QBs. From there they could move up in front of the Pats to get Jones or go higher and get Lance in the early teens.

While I'd still prefer they just roll with Goff and fix the OL, I'd much prefer a scenario like yours above rather than trading the farm and the future for Watson. I realize Watson is a sure thing but the more I look at it the more I think the cost is prohibitive, both short and long term. At least with a rookie QB we would get a rookie salary for a few years and on top of that McVay would get to mold his guy from scratch.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not good with "rolling with Goff" but I like the idea of him returning and needing to beat out his competition for his job. I think he'll be fucking pissed. And I think that would be good for him.

But after this last Snead press conference I think that ship has sailed.